• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Dragon's Dogma 2 |ST| Who let the Dogmas out?

zumaddy

Starman
Pronouns
She
dragons-dogma-2-preorder-1708617250170.png

Dragon's Dogma 2 - Published by Capcom - Releasing March 22nd, 2024 for PS5, Xbox and Steam

Official Website: https://www.dragonsdogma.com/2/en-us/

Minimum PC requirements*:

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 10600 / AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT with 8GB VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Additional Notes: Estimated performance: 1080p/30fps. Framerate might drop in graphics-intensive scenes. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 6800 required to support ray tracing.

Current Metacritic Scores: (thank you @Bokuringo)

Metacritic - 87
Opencritic -

What is Dragon's Dogma?

maxresdefault.jpg

"The deep, explorable fantasy world of Dragon's Dogma...
Dragon's Dogma is a single player, narrative driven action-RPG that challenges players to choose their own experience – from the appearance of their Arisen, their vocation, their party, how to approach different situations and more.

On your journey, you’ll be joined by Pawns, mysterious otherworldly beings, in an adventure so unique you will feel as if accompanied by other players while on your own adventure."

The long and short of it; an evil dragon has stolen your heart, literally! (He ate it!) You must reclaim what was taken from you, but you don't have the do it alone. The Pawns you create and the creations of other players will aid you in your quest, as you battle fierce monsters and political intrigue alike.

What is the battle system?
9f7b23ed7d8f3395d8e5c9791c389a29e470a16a.pnj

Vocations are basically the classes/jobs system of the game. You can choose a vocation for both yourself and your chosen Pawn. Pawns you hire from other players will stay in the class they were hired in. There are a few vocations that can only be chosen by yourself/Arisen: Magick Archer, Mystic Spearhand, Wayfarer and Trickster. The full list is as follows:
  • Fighter
  • Archer
  • Thief
  • Mage
  • Warrior
  • Sorcerer
  • Magick Archer*
  • Mystic Spearhand*
  • Trickster*
  • Wayfarer*

What's the deal with the Character Creator?

They actually released it early as a free download, and you can use it whether you buy DD2 or not to create 5 Arisen/Pawns to be stored. You can check details of that out here: https://www.dragonsdogma.com/2/en-us/topics/demo/

XTf6vxRetA3GvgrU5uhxeA-1200-80.jpg

A Note about PC Performance*

The majority of reviews for the PC edition of the game mention that unless you have a very high-performance computer, you will encounter frame drops in the main town of Vernworth due to the amount of NPCs present. Capcom have already stated they are aware of the issue and will be patching it in the future, but it will be an issue on launch day. Please keep this in mind when purchasing the PC version of DD2.

And with that, your journey awaits, Arisen!

(This is my first ST, please let me know if I need to fix anything! Also puns are not my strong suit)

Last edited:
who…

who? who? who? who?

for real though, beautiful ST, excited to someday play this on the Nintendo Sw3tch

I’ve only played a bit of the first one on Switch and struggled a fair bit, but the setup is very intriguing and appeals to my fundamental wackiness

am I remembering correctly? can you throw people and also stuff them into barrels? transcendent

for real though, beautiful ST, excited to someday play this on the Nintendo Sw3tch

I’ve only played a bit of the first one on Switch and struggled a fair bit, but the setup is very intriguing and appeals to my fundamental wackiness

am I remembering correctly? can you throw people and also stuff them into barrels? transcendent
Yes you could! In fact you could kill plot-important NPCs this way and would have to wait several in-game days for them to respawn.

Awesome ST and great subtitle! My copy should arrive on Friday though I will be a little late getting to it as I’m right near the end of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (chapter 12, 70+ hours in) and I’ll need a small break (Peach) first, but then I can’t wait to start!

Incredibly excited for this game. Played original recently and am happy that we got a sequel/remake to something that actually needed it as opposed to a 20 mil seller AAA darling

My copy was shipped this morning, looking forward to saturday to finally hunt wolves, who hunt in packs, again.

I'll be grabbing my copy on Friday morning (if it's ready for pickup). Going to be a fun weekend!

Been playing for about 3 hours now. That sure is Dragon's Dogma !

What's funny is that in game, during the opening, it doesn't even say "Dragon's Dogma 2", it just says "Dragon's Dogma".

It definitely feels like a remake made in a brand new map, and with even more ambition than before in its combat, physics and interactions. But it feels really, really similar to the original Dragon's Dogma experience. (Good) jank included ! Since I know some people were affraid of how Dragon's Dogma without jank would feel like.

Welp looks like it's going to take around 3.5 hours for my copy to download since Steam weirdly had no pre-load. I'll see y'all later!

Be a fan of Capcom games
Dragon's Dogma 2 installs early (near West Coast)
excited to play it
see it get review bombed
Character re-editor is $2.00 and they snuck in microtransactions

:( :( :( :( :( :(

I think the review bombing is a bit much considering most of the micros are RE / DMC level stuff that people never really minded before (ie pre order bonuses or stuff that you can easily get playing the game), but making one save file and making it so you have to pay for a character re-editor? Really shitty of Capcom. Between this and SF6 I hope Capcom doesn't get worse from here on out ... Wilds would be so much worse for this

:( :( :( :( :( :(

I think the review bombing is a bit much considering most of the micros are RE / DMC level stuff that people never really minded before (ie pre order bonuses or stuff that you can easily get playing the game), but making one save file and making it so you have to pay for a character re-editor? Really shitty of Capcom. Between this and SF6 I hope Capcom doesn't get worse from here on out ... Wilds would be so much worse for this
The descriptor claims you can find them in game, but woof. I'm glad people are calling them out quicker and quicker for this. People were pretty lax about it a few years back when RE2make dropped.

The descriptor claims you can find them in game, but woof. I'm glad people are calling them out quicker and quicker for this. People were pretty lax about it a few years back when RE2make dropped.
But I imagine you can't find the character editor in game ... right?

Yeah I hope they really get the message, a lot of RE's best music was DLC only

But I imagine you can't find the character editor in game ... right?

Yeah I hope they really get the message, a lot of RE's best music was DLC only
Something like that, I imagine you find one of towards the end. Or maybe as a reward for straight up beating it. But yeah, the description explicitly states "This consumable item is also obtainable in-game."

These microtransactions absolutely killed any desire to buy this game. Will never support a singleplayer game that has mtx again.

Something like that, I imagine you find one of towards the end. Or maybe as a reward for straight up beating it. But yeah, the description explicitly states "This consumable item is also obtainable in-game."

Huh that makes it ... seem a bit silly honestly. I mean yeah it's bad they even give you the option, but as someone who's played DMC5 and RE4 all the items were very easy to get in game. It honestly sounds like people just didn't read the item descriptions. Fair mistake to make as I didn't either, I heard they were all obtainable in game but didn't hear it about the re-editor.

Hopefully it's a slap in the face and it wakes Capcom up because this shit is stupid either way. Honestly the performance issues seem much worse overall.

Capcom has been doing this superfluous stuff since Monster Hunter World, or at least that was the first one I remember seeing.

Kinda lame but mostly trivial.

Refunded after 20 minutes on Steam and bought on PS5. This is the worst PC port I've played in at least 5 years.

Crazy when you launch a game with bad optimization. Add that this $70 single player game charge players another dollars for BASIC GAME ITEMS likes fast travel, edit your character etc. Also they didn't mention about this microtransactions before this. Truly unbelievable

I don't understand the rage around tacked on, completely ignorable DLC tbh. If the game was built around it that would be one thing, but Capcom games never are in my experience. Like you can find the character editor in-game. It'd be nice if it wasn't there but the suits at Capcom are determined to put it in every game they release so w/e

These microtransactions are par for the course, have been a thing since like ...DMC4. It is funny how they're selling waycrystals after Itsuno went on record saying they want fast travel to be less easy to achieve.

These microtransactions are par for the course, have been a thing since like ...DMC4. It is funny how they're selling waycrystals after Itsuno went on record saying they want fast travel to be less easy to achieve.

The MTX are stupid and sadly normal for Capcom these days, but they are selling 1 portcrytal not plural. That author of the article being shared around did not even read correctly before shitting out something for clicks.

The MTX are stupid and sadly normal for Capcom these days, but they are selling 1 portcrytal not plural. That author of the article being shared around did not even read correctly before shitting out something for clicks.
Even less reason for the outrage then. I just don't really get how people can muster the energy to get pissed over DLC with this little value.

Capcom creating a generation of evil Arisens due to their incompetence.

GJNMY3GX0AAQYap.jpg:large

Going by that one video i've seen on Twitter where two NPCs in the city fight each other to death for no apparent reason (at least not one shown in the video), i don't think the players need to anything, just let the NPCs do that themselves.

Even less reason for the outrage then. I just don't really get how people can muster the energy to get pissed over DLC with this little value.

Seeing sites give the PC version a 10/10 when it might be the worst PC port in many years is funny. I assume most people getting mad about these MTX in a Capcom game weren't paying attention when DMC 4 and almost every game since had them. This ship sailed. It sucks but things aren't changing. Thankfully you can ignore them.

This is my Monster Hunter World PC launch experience down to a tee, and now I'm stuck once again waiting for a patch. I'm so tired...

What's worse is the game I've been able to play at times is really fun and then the frame rate drops and it's just irritating. :/

On the plus side, Woolie pawn:

df49cc13c866201fbf28447c0a4c7844f887ed3a.jpg

(tempted to summon @smongold so I can dunk him into the ocean for laughs)

Two things that have helped my frame rates on PC (results for you may vary and I am not a gaming PC professional!) Both were suggested on the DD2 subreddit.

1: In your task manager, in the details panel, set DD2 as high priority (right click it). This was the biggest help I've found so far, even if it didn't fix the issues in large towns.

2: Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings or Global Settings > find or add DD2 > Shader Cache Size > change to Unlimited (if you're struggling for space on your PC, just increase it instead of unlimited)

Can't wait to play this, but between the performance reports and the MTX controversy I can actually definitely wait.

I always wanted to play the first game but was scared off by the dull visuals and kinda impenetrability of what it was about. So the reviews being like "It's just a really, really good version of the first game" is absolutely ideal for me.
It's not DLC, though, it's microtransactions. It's different.

People don't typically have a problem with paying for new content (DLC). But paying to just adjust numbers in the game, or to avoid wasting time etc - things that would have been cheats back in the day - that's a huge problem. Because you're not actually getting anything for your money, other than convenience. Which suggests that the game was made inconvenient on purpose to support the MTX, which is shit. Paying more to have a top class experience only makes sense when the game is free. When you've paid $70 you should be getting a top-class experience without having store items pushed at you to make the game better.

And it's entirely possible that it's not the case that the game was made worse to sell the MTX, and they were bolted on to the game design later, after it was fully finished, or that the items are almost completely inconsequential - but the presence of them there still makes you wonder, which can spoil your experience.

Microtransactions are just a fucking blight, and really shouldn't be allowed in paid products. I'm convinced that the fact that many people don't differentiate actual DLC (new content) from Microtransactions are why there's less pushback than there should be.

Either way, any time a company gets shit for this stuff it's okay by me.

Last edited:
I may pick this up one day on series s once it goes on a deep sale, but I have a question:

I don't have the paid online for xbox, can I still rent other players pawns? Can they still rent mine?

Loved the Switch port for the first one, but I'm too busy with other games right now and 70 bucks for a digital game is not happening.

Quoted by: em
afc4d679ee18fa34b9851ebc322b7abb8ff9ab15.jpg

Now that the framerates aren't unplayable my Arisen has set out on his quest and I'm generally having fun. It just sucks seeing a dip everytime I go to any town location with multiple NPCs. If Capcom doesn't have a patch within the week, I might have to start killing the poor sods 🀷

Less easy to achieve= easier to get people to pay for it.

Just romanced Wilhelmina. Pretty cool quest.

So yeah, as a heads up, just like in the first game, giving gift doesn't matter unless you reeeeally want to have a random character as your beloved. Just do the side quests of the character you want as your beloved to have them at max affinity.

Don't know if it's just Wilhelmina, but it was much shorter and easier than in the first one. Just a single quest, and a short one too.

Wanted to romance Ulrika, but apparently I missed the deadline for her side quest (which is the coronation), sucks, that seems super early.

Two things that have helped my frame rates on PC (results for you may vary and I am not a gaming PC professional!) Both were suggested on the DD2 subreddit.

1: In your task manager, in the details panel, set DD2 as high priority (right click it). This was the biggest help I've found so far, even if it didn't fix the issues in large towns.

2: Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings or Global Settings > find or add DD2 > Shader Cache Size > change to Unlimited (if you're struggling for space on your PC, just increase it instead of unlimited)
Now this is PC gaming lol

In regards to Capcom it makes me a little sad that the best selling Monster Hunter game (World) was the one that really started pushing microtransactions and paying for extra hairstyles/customization features. Especially since 4U and GU had a bunch of free collabs.

So far, the MTX in DD2 has been easy to ignore. But it's still lame that so much of it is there.

Last edited:
Don't know if it is bugged or if it's another case of missing something before the coronation, but I can't find the character that sells you the house in Vernworth

Sucks if I have to wait for new game + to get it lol

Edit : Nevermind. The character finally popped up.

Last edited:
Alright I played a few hours last night and got to Vernworth. The most challenging thing for me so far is getting used to shield being on R1/RB instead of L1/LB, but with L1/LB now being a shortcut button it's a fine change. I'll just need to get used to it.

Otherwise though, game feels great. The animation work for your characters and the enemies feel even more weighty than in the first game. It goes a long way.

Will definitely play more today.

Back
Top Bottom