• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Dragon Quest Treasures | A Horii Side Story

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
WND4knJ.png

Dragon Quest Treasures | A Horii Side Story

Developed by
Square Enix & Tose
Published by Square Enix
Only on Nintendo Switch
Out on December 9th, 2022

ERIK'S ADOLESCENCE
Dragon Quest Treasures is a prequel of sorts to Dragon Quest XI, starring a child-aged Erik and his sister Mia. (If you didn’t play DQ XI, you’ll be fine of course!) Upon meeting Purrsula and Porcus, our duo is transported to a land called Draconia where monsters — and treasures — abound. To save the day and get back home, they’ll need to find seven rare and powerful Dragonstones.

FAUNA NIRVANA
Recruit classic Dragon Quest monsters to join your treasure gang, then use their special abilities to fly, stomp and whomp your way to loot! But look out: Erik and Mia aren’t the only treasure-hunting crew in Draconia…

BUILD YOUR BASE
Profits from treasure can be used to expand your base of operations and add more amenities and treasure-sniffing abilities to your arsenal. Unlockable shops, recipes, item crafting, a procedurally generated dungeon to explore; lots is going on around the base, so be sure to check up on it often!

BOP SLIMES IN REAL TIME
Exploration and combat take place seamlessly, in real time! Hack and slash like a wild person, aim ranged weapons over-the-shoulder and hop between platforms to get out of harm’s way. Those cruelcumbers hold no quarter, you know!

TRAILER

SCREENSHOTS
Vp9vzUW.jpg

Z8PFHOP.jpg

zkgMCgv.jpg

AEBOfyg.jpg

r9mIZqo.jpg

Last edited:
That image is so well made I thought it was an official Japan only merch until I saw Famiboard Books. I love it!

On the edge about picking this up right away, mostly because it’s Holiday season and things are generally expensive right now, but I’m definitely intrigued.

I really want to play this NOW. But I promised myself I wouldn't buy any new games for a while. I really hope this does well, there isn't enough Dragon Quest in the world.

Thanks for the thread, I love the art resembling an oldschool manual cover!

A game that combines monster collecting, treasure collecting, base building and Dragon Quest is basically custom made for my tastes lol I'm very excited to play it. It will take a bit though because I'm still playing Pokémon and I don't want to get saturated on the gameplay style.

Anyway, I'm incredibly happy to have DQ Monsters back, even if a bit different! This seems actually more fully realized than the last DQ Monsters games so I'm all for it.

I really want to play this NOW. But I promised myself I wouldn't buy any new games for a while. I really hope this does well, there isn't enough Dragon Quest in the world.
I could make an argument saying there is enough Dragon Quest, the downside to that is most of it is stuck in Japan. :(

Reviews seem inline with what I was anticipating, a breezy easy and cheesy game with Dragon Quest monsters in it.

Interested in trying it, almost entirely for the DQ part, but I’m personally going to wait for a sale since I expect I’ll be bored by the gameplay fairly quickly.

After spending a lot of time getting my ass kicked in various games this year, I am ready for something a bit more cosy

currently 77 based on 18 reviews

Waiting Amazon to ship my copy. Says it should be here Wednesday.

Hey everybody. Thanks for breaking in the ST on the lead-up to release! I'll be getting this game Day 1 for a change, so it'll be nice to play through with you all.

That image is so well made I thought it was an official Japan only merch until I saw Famiboard Books. I love it!
This post made my day! That's super nice to say, thank you 🙏

So do we know for sure whether or not the Deluxe Edition monsters are obtainable in the regular game? That’s what’s making me hesitate on the pre-order right now.
I wondered this myself and couldn't find a concrete answer, BUT the eShop has a separate DLC listing to upgrade to Deluxe at any time if you wanted to get the base version and wait and see about the extras.

This game is quite a jump from DQMJ3. Open world looks delicious. But I'm very curious about monster selection. Hoping for my favorites to be there, like Puppet Master (all varieties), Fencing Fox and Meowgician...

Ooh I'm hyped for this. Many peoples' 7/10 reasonings these days actually make for 10/10 games for me lol.

Everything's sounding pretty good to me. Think I'm going to have a fun time with this one.

Ooh I'm hyped for this. Many peoples' 7/10 reasonings these days actually make for 10/10 games for me lol.
I'm with this. Was looking at some of the highlights and its like "the combat is too simple" and I'm like "I'm a simple man"

This game is off to a slow start, hope it starts picking up. Also wish it had less input lag but it's not horrible.

I have a feeling this is going to end up on PC at some point and I'll be tempted to double dip.

The game will come by mail today and I honestly can't wait to hunt down some slimes 💪😁

qRlv7UJ.png

Today's the day! Dragon Quest Treasures is out. I've played about two hours so far and have been having a lot of fun! Here's a couple screens I took handheld.

2fJLWW0.jpg

glHOGPz.jpg

6EjAh2O.jpg

kQzAEQl.jpg

Managed to play almost 2 hours, so far very good impressions of the gameplay. I'm really impressed by the level of complexity of the map, there are a lot of caves or even someplaces that I thought couldn't go int, but they usually have something like materials or simple chests. Also the draw distance is very good, monsters do appear once you are closer but appart from that you can clearly see most of the terrain if you get to a vantage point.

THe combat is also fun, as mentioned before I was expecting something smple with the autobattle, but as the main player you have a lot of options with the pellets and the dagger combo is also good. Also the monster AI has been good so far.

Also the voice acting is good too. I was going to play it in japanese but honestly the sidekicks voices are waay better in english

Finally, the moment when you activate the train and the game really starts, with the DQ Fanfare :
G3at9Dn.gif

I guess my only complaint is that it uses midi music, specially since a lot is based on the first DQ music and that's my favorite.

Curious to read some impressions on this, especially the difficulty. Read in other places that it's not particularly hard.

So far it's been easy yeah, I wasn't expecting something difficult to begin with as is clearly targeted to a more young audience. With that said the firts boss maaged to put me in red but the monsters healed me and I learned that you are supposed to let them fight and you get the back attacks / pellets

Stressful week at work, what better way to destress on this Friday with a nice beverage under some cozy blankets with this game? Played to the point where I did my first "chocograph" treasure hunt thing last night, but no combat. I will say movement and jumping mechanics are very fun and satisfying and I like how it has the old school Zelda/Ass Creed thing where you automatically pull yourself on ledges just by running into them. More games, especially Japanese-developed games, should implement that.

Managed to play almost 2 hours, so far very good impressions of the gameplay. I'm really impressed by the level of complexity of the map, there are a lot of caves or even someplaces that I thought couldn't go int, but they usually have something like materials or simple chests. Also the draw distance is very good, monsters do appear once you are closer but appart from that you can clearly see most of the terrain if you get to a vantage point.

THe combat is also fun, as mentioned before I was expecting something smple with the autobattle, but as the main player you have a lot of options with the pellets and the dagger combo is also good. Also the monster AI has been good so far.

Also the voice acting is good too. I was going to play it in japanese but honestly the sidekicks voices are waay better in english

Finally, the moment when you activate the train and the game really starts, with the DQ Fanfare :
G3at9Dn.gif

I guess my only complaint is that it uses midi music, specially since a lot is based on the first DQ music and that's my favorite.

So far it's been easy yeah, I wasn't expecting something difficult to begin with as is clearly targeted to a more young audience. With that said the firts boss maaged to put me in red but the monsters healed me and I learned that you are supposed to let them fight and you get the back attacks / pellets
Thank you for the insight! If you've played it, how does it compare to Ni No Kuni?

Thank you for the insight! If you've played it, how does it compare to Ni No Kuni?
It's not on that level, it's really autobattle 100% and you can't command them to do especific things (just to gather around or spread). The only single action you can command from them is the especial attack. Really the "tactical" part is on you going for back attacks when the enmy is busy targeting your monsters or using the variety of pellets in combat

Curious to read some impressions on this, especially the difficulty. Read in other places that it's not particularly hard.

I think that's accurate to say. About four hours in now and would say that, overall, things have been kept nice and easy. I wouldn't be surprised if that built up a bit as time goes on, but I don't think it's aiming to be too tricky.

However! Now that I have access to the train and can start just getting out there and exploring, I've noticed there are little pockets on the map with monsters quite a bit higher level than your own.

DC7x68E.jpg

Taking out a level 18 enemy at level 8 was tricky but doable! It definitely had me frantically switching to my heal pellets and using the dodge more. You can also rest at campsites until the evening, which brings a few trickier and higher-level enemies onto the field. Those things don't make the game hard exactly, but there are ways to challenge yourself here and there.

Played 4 hours today, the treasure hunting is too adicting. I like how the make you want to explore different islands with the golden ratio, it makes the exploration more varied and really like how varied the treasures are. The first real one I got was the bunny suit lol. Also got DQV twins just now!

vgExxrf.jpg

Mhm black hair, are they implying Deborah was the real waifu???

Loving the game, it feels and plays a bit like Xenoblade in the sense of combat. Getting single player MMO vibes from this. What makes it very enjoyable are the random drops and the constant hunt for treasure.

New mechanics keep unlocking every session so far and the pacing feels good!

I notice that I am almost completely ignoring my slingshot though, it feels more tedious than just attacking.

A conversation with Horii and Inuzaka.

There’s been a lot of Dragon Quest spin-offs over the years. Do you have a dream idea for one that you haven’t been able to fulfil yet but want to?

Horii: Not just an open world game, but an “open life” game.
I now need a Dragon Quest Crossing lol.

About seven hours in now and I’m really starting to love this game. I’ve unlocked ways to cook, craft ammo and have a wide range of monsters at my disposal at this point. I felt like once I had access to that stuff the whole loop of the game clicked firmly into place. Like was said above, the treasure finding ratio is a great way to keep you rotating between the different maps. And now I have things to do with all those materials I’ve been hoarding! I did a massive cook-a-thon and was able to recruit like six monsters at once for my efforts — super satisfying.

The combat is definitely getting more involved too, which is nice to see. My party is around level 25 and I feel like I’m at the point now where enemies can actually deal some significant damage sometimes — I need to keep an eye on everyone’s HP and switch to a healing role from time to time, and I’m using my dragon attacks more often. They’re great by the way, some very funny Pep Power-style animations in there. Haven’t been wiped or anything just yet, but it’s certainly more engaging. I’m already surprised by how many different ammo types I have to mess with, and I’m sure there’s more to come.

Some other observations:
— That exciting little trill-and-stinger buildup that plays when you open up treasure will never get old, I’m sure of it!
— You can hold X to drain your MP and heal yourself. I uh…probably should have realized that sooner than I did.
— I likewise didn’t use the orders much at all until recently, but it can be handy to have your team rush the enemy to start off a battle, or to reign them in when they’re spreading out in an area with lots of enemies to pull (as they’re wont to do).
— I’ve found stacking up Erik/Mia’s attack rating to be the most effective use of medals for them.

Screens from this morning:

O9P1exf.jpg

l3mYxmW.jpg

heJc0kn.jpg

qzgEAMA.jpg

OSIOzh3.jpg

Loving the game, it feels and plays a bit like Xenoblade in the sense of combat. Getting single player MMO vibes from this. What makes it very enjoyable are the random drops and the constant hunt for treasure.

New mechanics keep unlocking every session so far and the pacing feels good!

I notice that I am almost completely ignoring my slingshot though, it feels more tedious than just attacking.
Yeah, the hunt is very addictive with the classic "one more treasure".
Also I actually find the slingshot more useful, usually get 2 or 3 hits before my monsters just finishing the job

Also it seems it's not that random. Was exploring the cinderback , foound 2 treasure before one of those big orange slimes kill me, and after restarting the treasrues with the same results appear in the same place, so I guess once it's seeded it's not going to change even if you die

Getting major dragon quest builders vines from this game so far and DQB2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Mainly with the base you have and you can upgrade and add new monsters to help out.

Gotta say, I love the dragon quest side games more than the main games. I guess because the gameplay is always more experimental than the traditional DQ.

About 3 hours into it, here's some thoughts

• The overworld actually feels like Xenoblade-lite with the wide open environments with exploration. Heck, even the first area you explore is a giant dragon's head that has flora and fauna (monsters) on it just like a titan from a Xenoblade game.
  • Exploration is extremely satisfying and if you like exploration more than combat in games, this game is definitely for you. It gives me Majora's Mask vibes in that the actual areas are fairly small but open, but you'll see a new nook and cranny to explore like a cave or something to crawl into or even a little turn at what you;d think is a dead end. You can rotate the screen in any direction on the overworld and find at least 4 different places to go to. It's actually one of the most dense open worlds I've played in a long time. There's many caves and both indoor and outdoor areas you can explore.
  • The Combat is really basic, but there are at least combos you can do. It looks like the devs wanted us to really focus on using our slingshot, but I think the last time I've actually used it was at the first boss, otherwise, I'm just button mashing away.
  • Slingshot mechanic is pretty neat tho, I think they took some inspiration from Horizon's Bow in that you get dozens of different types of rocks to use, like elemental, piercing, healing, status effects, etc. Meant to add some strategy to combat, but it's so button mashy and simplistic that it's easier just to run up and do combos (at least so far).
  • The music is all Sugiyama remix tracks from past DQ games. I wish we had some DQ spinoff games in which there was wholly new original music. Either way, it's kinda fun to try to pick out which tracks are from which mainline game lol.
  • This game has all the charm from a DQ game that you'd expect. All the punny names, the monsters you recruit have puns for names and your teammates will say little puns relating to their type (slimes will use Goo and related terms) for puns. It can get a bit annoying tho because they can repeat multiple times a minute tho.
  • Graphically, I really like the monster models. The Dracky model in particular is extremely adorable. Has a good use of cel-shading and the colors on the monsters are nice and vibrant. It's actually amazing how the models and default poses based off of the 1986 game pretty much pixel by pixel are still used today and are still as iconic and hold up just as well.
  • EDIT: I'm also surprised no one has been talking about the controls in this. I feel like the movement controls are extremely satisfying and snappy in this game. It's fun to climb up mountains and glide and even combat is pretty responsive. There's no jank or anything at all, despite me seeing a lot of people assuming this is a janky low budget game. Really impressed by the control scheme

More impressions as I get through the game more. Either way I'm loving the hell outta this and this would be a GOAT if I were playing it as a kid lol. It's literally the game my childhood self has always wanted

Last edited:
Finally unlocked the online funcionality. Added my gang ID to my signature if anyone else wants to add it. Also hid the twins from DQV in the Wingsept Moors if you want to search for it. Also this just activate TONS of hidden treasures from japanese players, be careful if you don't want to be overleveled quickly (each wifi treasures give 1500 xp) but it works if you want to level some monsters quickly

More impressions as I get through the game more. Either way I'm loving the hell outta this and this would be a GOAT if I were playing it as a kid lol. It's literally the game my childhood self has always wanted

THis is becoming my GOTY right now, can't stop. Funny thing a friend came to help me move some things and he is a hardcore Pokemon player (as in, part of his wedding was pokemon themed) and saw me playing the game and was like "man, can't believe looks and play better than Violet". Me "Come, join the DQ fans, we have better performance"

I retract my comment regarding difficulty, the second snarl boss kicked my ass because I wasn't really paying attention to food or medals as normal enemies really doesn't requieres this. Restarted prepared and managed to finish him but still had to revive one of the monsters during the battle (remember to use orders!)

Other than that, my grinding finally paid and managed to get a metal slime to join me!

RupMGHX.jpg

Back
Top Bottom