• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Dragon Quest Treasures | A Horii Side Story

OK, I think I found something to still shoot for.

I've seen enough though! I can comfortably bestow this game...

FIVE YUJI HEADS OUTTA FIVE
miniAcB.png

U9PHaVl.gif

I didn't even had to finish it to reach that conclusion, 2022 GOTY here

So it’s a pretty good game? I was hoping for something around the quality of Builders 2 - would you all say it’s on the same level (enjoyment, content, humor)?

So it’s a pretty good game? I was hoping for something around the quality of Builders 2 - would you all say it’s on the same level (enjoyment, content, humor)?
This is pretty much BotW DQ edition, so if you like to explore at your own pace, this game is it. Once you clear the tutorial, every area is open. There are a lot of quests and of course treasure to find (IIRC 700), and of course befriending all monsters and there is a decent post game too.

As fot the story/humour this one is very simple, because they created it to have a chill time, there is no "world saving" or anything, you just find treasures and help your sidekicks to find the 7 macguffings. The sidequests do give you more information on the world lore and other characters you find, but those are more like an extra, as none of them are needed to finish the game.

Finally found all the goddam balloons on the hinterquarters! (no way I'm going to complete the normal chests lol)

zjLqYPe.jpg

Also
Exploring one of the random dungeons there had to fought the ice beast v2 with a mask and that really made me sweat. I thought it was going to be only a reskin but no, even the patterns and attacks changes. Now it has a force shield that you must break before doing damage. I managed to finish it but finished of all of my pellets.

Also tried to fought the pirate girl in the waterfalls and even though I'm lvl 67 his 65 Gigantes one shot me! Gonna try tomorrow

Been really getting into the game loop and loving it. They kind of bury you in quests at the start, but it also means there's no shortage of things to do. Need to delve more into the online features and then post my own code!

The update monsters are live in the western version

IigSTBx.jpg

ngpltq1.jpg

I used both codes earlier; really neat that they're doing this kind of stuff (never imagined I'd be able to fight alongside a Yuji Horii-voiced Slime in this game), and I'm glad they didn't make them JP-exclusive. Would be nice if we got more in the future!

That's so cool. Are these timed exclusive? Square still hasn't sent me my code despite saying "Friday" a couple of days before release
I don't think so, or at least it doesn't seem to. Guess this really depends on how much the server lives

It's awesome that so many people in this thread are enjoying it for what it is! It's also sad though that a lot of people go into this thinking it's an ARPG first so they dock a lot of points and call it a 6/10 game because of the lackluster combat when in reality it's an exploration-focused game first with combat as a thing to do on while exploring. I think if more people went in with that expectation, it would have actually gotten a more positive reception.

Either way, one of the best 70s Metacritic games I've ever played. Better than a lot of 90+ MC games honestly.

It's awesome that so many people in this thread are enjoying it for what it is! It's also sad though that a lot of people go into this thinking it's an ARPG first so they dock a lot of points and call it a 6/10 game because of the lackluster combat when in reality it's an exploration-focused game first with combat as a thing to do on while exploring. I think if more people went in with that expectation, it would have actually gotten a more positive reception.

Either way, one of the best 70s Metacritic games I've ever played. Better than a lot of 90+ MC games honestly.
Yeah, I've seen 2 reactions mainly: it's either a kiddy game with no challenge, or "not muh DQ monsters: -10/10". I shared some captures online and of my friends was like "Wait, is open world exploration??". This game def. needed a demo so they could appreciate it. But hey I did my part and have convinced 3 people to get the game

Yeah, I've seen 2 reactions mainly: it's either a kiddy game with no challenge, or "not muh DQ monsters: -10/10". I shared some captures online and of my friends was like "Wait, is open world exploration??". This game def. needed a demo so they could appreciate it. But hey I did my part and have convinced 3 people to get the game
Yeah, a demo limiting you to just one of the lands would be perfect since you could probably spend 5-10 hours exploring all of its secrets alone. And I'm also singing my praises about it on various gaming sites and discords lol. I'm just letting people know to treat it as adventure first, combat second

After trying out those download code monsters and taking down what I think (?) are all the bosses in the game, I'm finished up with my GOTY '22! If you're on the fence but have a feeling about this one, trust your gut! I had a blast.

Some final shots:
pdceY4I.jpg

IcrCrZx.jpg

5iMo1RW.jpg

MHGkE4v.jpg

Hmmm this is a good post. I still not sure if this is my thing even if I love Dragon Quest. Exploration might be cool but I love RPG leveling up incentives you know.

Hmmm this is a good post. I still not sure if this is my thing even if I love Dragon Quest. Exploration might be cool but I love RPG leveling up incentives you know.
there are a lot of great leveling up incentives in the treasure hunting systems (e.g. the total value of your treasure collection increases your “gang rank” which makes it easier to find more valuable treasure, opens up some abilities & options, etc) that I still find super satisfying even as the combat and regular stat systems are a bit light

I’m about fifteen hours in and loving this game a lot! I’m especially marveling at the quest structure and fast travel system, and how there’s always a good excuse to go to a place to do something and grab some treasure along the way. the main quests being treated with the exact same weight as the side quests is especially great and makes me not feel bad about putting them off as long as possible lol…..great game, late arrival goty contender for sure

Only 10 balloons left. Once I complete this I'm going to rest a while from the game. Still miss 21 iconic treasures but next week I really want to rest and disconnect from everything and start the new year fresh. Besides I already was spoiled about the reward for the 50 iconic treasures and I would expect more for all the exploring (I'm in a point where I'm getting 2 or 3 repeated treasures out of 7)

there are a lot of great leveling up incentives in the treasure hunting systems (e.g. the total value of your treasure collection increases your “gang rank” which makes it easier to find more valuable treasure, opens up some abilities & options, etc) that I still find super satisfying even as the combat and regular stat systems are a bit light

I’m about fifteen hours in and loving this game a lot! I’m especially marveling at the quest structure and fast travel system, and how there’s always a good excuse to go to a place to do something and grab some treasure along the way. the main quests being treated with the exact same weight as the side quests is especially great and makes me not feel bad about putting them off as long as possible lol…..great game, late arrival goty contender for sure
Yep, not just that but your rank also determines how much XP you get from treasures. I was at a point where enemies my level would get me 200-300XP while finding big treasures would net me 1600XP. Plus as mentioned the value of your treasure acts as "XP" for your rank.

Started wondering why I was getting rival gangs on my ass so much when I only had like 4 treasures.

2 of them were iconic, one being a sceptre worth 23m. Nice!

Also got the stuff to recruit a level 44 Gigantes (my previous high level was 32) so I'm ready to go and kick some ass.

First Sonic now this lol. I planned to get it eventually but I have too much to play.

This was needed at launch as mentioned before, but still good. I'm assuming it's also coming to other eshop regions as the note mentions it can be played in english

Almost at the end of the story (I think), and still enjoying myself enough that I'm sure I'll do plenty of the post-game. Finally added my gang ID to my own signature too!

a few post-post-game questions
i've got the 50 iconic treasures and the dragon has joined my team—the little cutscene heavily implied the dragon should "get stronger", is there a tangible benefit to leveling it up to a certain point?

otherwise, i think what i have left is the rematch against the final boss, the masked versions of the dragon bosses (which I beat one of immediately after clearing the story but before getting the quest and haven't seen one since—is running into them in the portals completely random?), and all the balloons (which i probably won't go for). is there anything beyond that worth going for besides getting all the treasures?

really enjoyed this game so if i'm basically at the end, i'm satisfied, but it also feels like there might be a bit more...

I keep getting a connection error when trying to redeem those codes. Any idea what is wrong? It happens wired and wireless only in this game. I played Splatoon 3 right now online without issues.

It's launching today, leave it to squenix to promote it at the last minute lol

Wishlisted. Great to see so many pc ports. More chance to be playable on new hardware in 20+ years, deeper salesz you can increase the resolution and framerate and some games even have fanmade mods.

I’ve never been so pleased to get a notification! 😄 I was expecting to have a nice time but was genuinely surprised at how deeply I enjoyed this game. I think my only nitpick would have been that performance was so-so on Switch; at 4K 60FPS on PC, with probably some extra options to boot, it’s nothing but the good stuff!

Now that the new Monsters has been announced, hopefully Treasures can get the actual love it deserves as its own thing rather than "Ruining the Monsters series". I feel like a lot of reviewers docked points and sales were hurt because people thought this was the evolution of the Monsters franchise. I'm hoping we'll see a Treasures 2 one of these years

Now that the new Monsters has been announced, hopefully Treasures can get the actual love it deserves as its own thing rather than "Ruining the Monsters series". I feel like a lot of reviewers docked points and sales were hurt because people thought this was the evolution of the Monsters franchise. I'm hoping we'll see a Treasures 2 one of these years
YEah, this is where I'm at, the gloom regarding the monster series was ridiculous considering they even said this was it's own spinoff. I want to see a treasures 2

I think the next DQ Treasures could be a follow up if sorts to the Rocket Slime series. I think those two concepts could be combined to become something really cool.

I thought it was weird that the email I got about this said “Steam Deck verified! Take your game on the go!” As if the game wasn’t already on a handheld platform

I’ve never been so pleased to get a notification! 😄 I was expecting to have a nice time but was genuinely surprised at how deeply I enjoyed this game. I think my only nitpick would have been that performance was so-so on Switch; at 4K 60FPS on PC, with probably some extra options to boot, it’s nothing but the good stuff!

Liked it so much on Switch, I bought it to play on Steam Deck and I was surprised to see Square Enix even promote Steam Deck on the official website (It is Verified!) - https://dqtreasures.square-enix-games.com/en-us/

I never actually got around to picking this up on Switch despite being interested in it, so maybe I'll get this on Deck instead for the presumably better performance.

I never actually got around to picking this up on Switch despite being interested in it, so maybe I'll get this on Deck instead for the presumably better performance.
I put it on my wishlist to play on the Ally. The required specs are quite low.

Back
Top Bottom