• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you wish Nintendo made more "dudebro" games?

Would you want it?

• Yes

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 145 83.8%

• Total voters
Not at all, just like how I don’t really want Sony to start making Nintendo-style games either.

Not every publisher needs to dip their toes into every possible genre. Specialization is ok.

Absolutely not. I'm thankful that Nintendo doesn't try to be the most generic possible thing by making... Yet another Battlefield.

They can have their take on shooters where it's just so different that it attracts a very different audience and isn't some boys club(Splatoon) or even a take on "realistic FPS" where exploration, atmosphere and puzzle solving are so much more of the focus than shooting that you again wouldn't consider it an FPS (Metroid Prime).

But again, we have games such as Bayonetta, where there's a lot of violence and gore, the characters are stylized but it's realistic in comparison to Splatoon or Zelda, but it doesn't fall in the generic realistic looking and realistic violence category and again wouldn't be a dudebro game.

But if you broaden the term just a little bit, Bayonetta would be literally that but for the girls, gays and theys, which means Nintendo is a queen once again.

I could definitely dig something like "realistic stylized" like Bayonetta or Nier or even Final Fantasy, but with a lot of color, maybe realistic modeling with cel shading or realistic textures with cartoon or something, trying other genres(HORROR PLEASE) maybe aiming at adults but something that can be played by teenagers too, I think atmospheric horror or melancholy or something.
I think they should make a dudebro game specifically for gay men

I again will not be taking any questions at this time
Bayonetta is literally that!!

But I just can't get enough of that so I hope Metroid Prime 4 has Samus serving and slaying too. And I hope they have a new IP that serves as well.

Not from Nintendo at least.

The dudebro era is... not something gaming should be proud of. It dominated the gaming landscape during the 2000s-early 2010s to such an extreme degree that it kinda kept me from ever wanting to buy a different gaming console; none of the games on the PS3 or Xbox 360 looked interesting to me because they were all about gritty men shooting other men for gritty men reasons. By contrast, Nintendo games were always fun and that fun didn't come at the cost of adding unnecessary blood and gore.

It just wasn't an interesting period as a game buyer in the slightest. Nowadays we have a more varied palette so it's easier to look back at that stuff with rose-tinted glasses when you get a game that apes being from that period, but the drab back then was a massive problem. I'd rather have Nintendo stay far away from it with their main studios.
Wholeheartedly agree, and that’s BEFORE we get to the anti-DEI movements in this industry, the GamerGate BS, and all sorts of reactionism because dudebros are no longer pandered to exclusively. I’m Black, with a learning disability, and I’ve been extremely reluctant to get into more online games because I dealt with N-Bombs, the R-Word, or both to a point where I switched off because I was in tears. I turned 42 last week, and I’m not ashamed to say that something like this still gets to me. In a lot of these circles, they pass this off as “banter”, but it’s super hurtful, and it’s all the wilder because when fictional characters who don’t look like them show up in a game, they’ll complain that they play games “for escapism”, and the rest of us would LOVE to do the same and see ourselves represented, our stakes recognised, but their attitudes make it impossible to play to escape. As if the right to “escape” isn’t one that ought to be for all people. Still, if they gave them a centimetre, less than an inch, it wouldn’t stop there!! The last thing we need is for a platform host of Nintendo’s standing to stand with that, and I consider Iwata’s view of “fun for EVERYONE” to be a revolutionary statement in the midst of it all. The fans are a broad, diverse and inclusive church, and the moment Nintendo starts appealing to dudebros and dudebro culture is the moment that they’re no longer for all people. Not only Nintendo, but the industry as a whole would be infinitely poorer for it.

I love how some people act like Nintendo never made/published stuff like GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, Eternal Darkness, Project Hammer, Disaster Day of Crisis before and doing so is some kind of heresy lol.

Doesn't really seem like their style. I'm all for them expanding into genres they aren't usually associated with though.

Nah. I'd like them to try a survival horror game though. Like in house(or a susbsidiary/essentially a subsidiary like Retro or HAL) horror.

Based on certain things in Metroid Games, Zelda games and Kirby games I feel like there are some people inside who would be down for it

the term is so vague to me tbh and it could mean so many games that I dunno how to really answer that? I guess COD? Then nah

Wholeheartedly agree, and that’s BEFORE we get to the anti-DEI movements in this industry, the GamerGate BS, and all sorts of reactionism because dudebros are no longer pandered to exclusively. I’m Black, with a learning disability, and I’ve been extremely reluctant to get into more online games because I dealt with N-Bombs, the R-Word, or both to a point where I switched off because I was in tears. I turned 42 last week, and I’m not ashamed to say that something like this still gets to me. In a lot of these circles, they pass this off as “banter”, but it’s super hurtful, and it’s all the wilder because when fictional characters who don’t look like them show up in a game, they’ll complain that they play games “for escapism”, and the rest of us would LOVE to do the same and see ourselves represented, our stakes recognised, but their attitudes make it impossible to play to escape. As if the right to “escape” isn’t one that ought to be for all people. Still, if they gave them a centimetre, less than an inch, it wouldn’t stop there!! The last thing we need is for a platform host of Nintendo’s standing to stand with that, and I consider Iwata’s view of “fun for EVERYONE” to be a revolutionary statement in the midst of it all. The fans are a broad, diverse and inclusive church, and the moment Nintendo starts appealing to dudebros and dudebro culture is the moment that they’re no longer for all people. Not only Nintendo, but the industry as a whole would be infinitely poorer for it.
Part of me always wondered if Nintendo's staunch position against implementing proper Voice Chat is a big part as to why their games aren't nearly as toxic when it comes to multiplayer. The whole "use preset text and emotes" system they use is often decried but I also kinda think it's helped them avoid a lot of the toxicity associated with online gaming.

I generally try to avoid playing multiplayer games/turn off the voice and text chat as often as possible because the reality is that every online interaction is a dice roll on whether or not you find a nice person or some absolute jackasses. With Nintendo... I don't think I've ever really had that problem because at least from the player side, you're not really hearing the other player to begin with. Mario Kart is still just single player Mario Kart, even online; you just have humans instead of CPU players to interact with.

Basically while ActiBliz et al. are trying to reach for draconian privacy invading AI systems to try and police the toxicity of their communication features, Nintendo just... doesn't have those features to begin with, which means they don't have to worry about that sorta thing. (Another good-ish example of this at work is FromSofts' souls games, where the messages range from trolling to useful but since it's all preset words, the worst it gets is people making bad innuendos using those words.)

I actually kinda wish others would copy Nintendo's strategy on this more, but alas, it is what it is.

I generally try to avoid playing multiplayer games/turn off the voice and text chat as often as possible because the reality is that every online interaction is a dice roll on whether or not you find a nice person or some absolute jackasses. With Nintendo... I don't think I've ever really had that problem because at least from the player side, you're not really hearing the other player to begin with. Mario Kart is still just single player Mario Kart, even online; you just have humans instead of CPU players to interact with.
Sounds like somebody hasn't played Splatoon... Jackasses will find a way, believe me.

All seriousness though, yeah I agree. It's personally helped me stay invested in their multiplayer games in part because I don't have to come home after a long day and worry about being called slurs or anything. (Plus somebody trolling me by throwing the damn football off the map in Splatoon 3 because I missed a shot is, admittedly, a lot funnier than just being called the 'r' word.) Ditto for the Souls games. People trolling and/or lashing out is kinda funny because they have to get creative with how they do it, and a Dark Souls message telling you to jump off a cliff because there's loot at the bottom don't hurt anybody.

Limitations breed creativity. Smash names were one of those outlets.
With_Anyone_For_Glory_WiiU.png

Part of me always wondered if Nintendo's staunch position against implementing proper Voice Chat is a big part as to why their games aren't nearly as toxic when it comes to multiplayer. The whole "use preset text and emotes" system they use is often decried but I also kinda think it's helped them avoid a lot of the toxicity associated with online gaming.

Basically while ActiBliz et al. are trying to reach for draconian privacy invading AI systems to try and police the toxicity of their communication features, Nintendo just... doesn't have those features to begin with, which means they don't have to worry about that sorta thing. (Another good-ish example of this at work is FromSofts' souls games, where the messages range from trolling to useful but since it's all preset words, the worst it gets is people making bad innuendos using those words.)

I actually kinda wish others would copy Nintendo's strategy on this more, but alas, it is what it is.
Yeah, it's for this reason that I feel like all the "why won't Nintendo implement proper voice chat, they're so anti-consumer" criticisms are misguided. If it gets implemented on the next console I'd genuinely get the feeling that Nintendo was drifting out of their lane, so to speak. And considering all the memes I've seen about people yelling profanities and such in voice chat, I feel like I'm going through whiplash every time I come across the criticisms that I mentioned earlier.

I jumped back into TotK the last few weeks. I started following a Yiga quest line, and actually thought about how uninteresting I would find it if it was presented in a dudebro way, all serious and without the banana wackiness.

Is there even such a thing as a "dudebro" game nowadays? That term to me is from the late 2000's/early 2010's, and the first game that came to mind was Army of Two.
42128_us-Army-of-Two.jpg

Nintendo’s been “dudebro-ing” since the 1980s with Mario & Luigi. Just a couple of dudes who also happen to be bros. They’re the OG.

Back
Top Bottom