• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you wish Nintendo made more "dudebro" games?

Would you want it?

• Yes

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 145 83.8%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Understand, Understand
Pronouns
She/Her
God of War. Gears. Halo. Helldivers. Amongst others, these are probably what most people would consider "dudebro" games, with a focus on shooting, gore, multiplayer and grittiness. These kinds of games were all the rage in the PS360 generation, but their influence subdued on the PS41 one, and nowadays, they're arguably a dying breed.

Here's the thing, I'm not sure Nintendo's ever really made anything that could classify as a dudebro game. I'm sure there must be something from like, the Gamecube-Wii days but it's never really been a focus, and maybe nowadays more than ever could it get a spotlight from the lack of competition. Maybe they could take the God of War approach and instead of making a new IP they could reboot an old one in a grittier maturer style, I'd suggest Metroid Prime due to its tone already being quite gritty but there's the undeniable problem of Samus being a woman sorta killing the dudebro appeal. Maybe they could replace her or have dual protagonists or something.

Anyways, what do you think? My pal @Uzupedro is quite a big fan of these games and I'm sad he has nothing like that to look forwards to on the Switch :(

I would like to see what they can do with that gameplay and aesthetic.

but I feel like this is a rather loaded question given the "dudebro" label

yeah why not

I'd be interested in seeing what a Nintendo dudebro game would even look like, tbh.

It's kinda hard with the fans the Switch has cultivated, but you might never know, with Studios like Platinum games.

But, if it's something that developers want to make, than heck, let them make a dudebro game.

Isn't there a pretty important female character in Gears now? Does that really dillute a game's dudebro potential?

Also: No! But I like their sports games and those are close enough.

Isn't there a pretty important female character in Gears now? Does that really dillute a game's dudebro potential?

Also: No! But I like their sports games and those are close enough.
Yeah in Gears 5 you mostly play as Kait but the start is with Marcus Feenix... son? (I haven't played the others so dunno who he is). It's probably gonna break away from the curse but I can also see an argument for Gears being perma-grandfathered-in to the dudebro genre for essentially creating it.

Nothing against “dudebro” games as I’ve played and enjoyed my share, but no, not for me, thanks.

I like Nintendo because of the kinds of games it makes. It always and unabashedly goes its own way so I’m not interested in Nintendo trying to be something it isn’t.

I think a third person shooter game about Donkey Kong getting revenge on bad guys by running around with coconut guns to a loud, boisterous rock soundtrack would be cool not gonna lie. Nintendo should absolutely be stealing my ideas

I’m not sure I would exactly quantify Helldivers as “dudebro” considering the satire at play.

Would I like to see Nintendo try making something like a boomer shooter? Sure. But it’s quite unlikely to be “dudebro” aesthetically because that’s not in their DNA.

Beyond that, I’m somewhere between “nah, I’m good” and “not just no but hell/fuck no”.

I want to see nintendo make something like Disaster Day of Crisis again. Just a game that's out of character with more 'realistic' graphics. I want some nintendo charm though, make it weird like yakuza or something. I think it's good to experiment with new IP and different flavours. I don't need to see a major shift in how they make their games though. Just maybe one or two titles that target a different/wider audience would be interesting.

Don't care that much either way though.

mario and luigi: bowser's inside story is the closest thing we're getting to a dudebro game and i'm fine with that

no i will not elaborate

I thought that era of gaming is over? I mean, we're getting a LOT more boomer shooters today than moden military cover shooters. Nintendo is more likely to publish something close to a boomer shooter, after all, they did publish one on N64.

Also I don't think either God of War or Helldivers are "dudebro" games. GoW 2018 sold really well but it's not as mainstream as Call of Duty, the ultimate dudebro title. They don't share the audience either. It's same species as other slashers like Devil may Cry or Bayonetta. The last two were a little more interactive then those.

I'd suggest Metroid Prime due to its tone already being quite gritty but there's the undeniable problem of Samus being a woman sorta killing the dudebro appeal. Maybe they could replace her or have dual protagonists or something
maybe they could make a Metroid Prime game where you play as a Federation marine instead of Samus

Plenty of super important women in the Halo series too. Playable, even!
I was thinking that, too. I'm not sure this merits much thought when two of the big trope namers are rife with important women.

If having important women protagonists is a disqualifier then I would like to double down on my "no". These games have no place on the Switch.

They would be incapable of doing that, even if they wanted. If they tried, it would end up being interesting somehow, so not a dudebro game.

Look at them tackling a concept like open world. They come up with BotW, while in parallel, Sony makes... Horizon (god bless it)

Absolutely. That way I can finally play my Switch on the train in public without feeling insecure about playing baby games.

While I think it'd be interesting to see what a 2024 attempt at "NST exists to make more 'western-appealing' games" would look like, I don't think I'd be that interested in seeing them make a concerted effort to make more deliberately "for the Assassin's Creed/CoD/Madden crowd" games because that's just not where my tastes lie

At the same time I also suspect any attempt at something of that ilk from Nintendo would end up branching out and evolving into something that only vaguely resembles the initial "dudebro blueprint" it started as because they wouldn't be able to help themselves

as implied in other posts, a lot of the quintessential dudebro games moved away from that aura. Gears and Halo added more women and became less machismo. and the paragon of toxic masculinity, God of War, became a much more matured series (and funnily enough, didn't completely bury its past, but used it for story). that's why I say the "dudebro" label is loaded and outdated. it's conjures up a time that even dudebro games moved past

Last edited:
I think the closest to anything like that back in the day was Geist on the GameCube, but my memories of that are rather hazy. Need to replay that perhaps.

Based on the vibes of Dudebro and not "actual" Dudebro (if that makes sense), yeah I want to see what Nintendo would do with the aesthetic.

I mean yeah, they could take a more Japanese approach like Death Stranding or Nier: Automata for dystopian worlds and gritty stories, or lean fully into Western design philosophies like Call of Duty or Gears of War or whatever. Like, Miyamoto claimed he could make a Halo-killer if he wanted to when the series was at its peak. It wouldn't be that big of an accomplishment now, sure, but I still want to call his bluff and see what he could do with making a boomer shooter. Could it be mature while still maintaining bright colours? I don't even mean "mature" as in excessive blood, gore, swearing or realism, but gameplay, story, voice acted dialogue, content that brought together would create a game that is meant for a specifically targetting demographic, not just "fun for all ages"

Nothing wrong with fun for all; I'm just saying it could be done in tandem when you have Splatoon or Zelda that could be enjoyed by all ages, and then this new Dudebro IP that is meant for a targetted demographic of 18-45 who want to have a story that matches the quality gameplay that fans of Nintendo have come to expect. A protagonist who is cool for the sake of cool (and not watered down because Link needed leggings after getting a single ear pierced), an engaging single player campaign while also offering a multiplayer arena, and hell just because I know Nintendo could they can prioritize local multiplayer on a single system.

I mean... are "dudebro" games even a thing anymore? Halo isn't as gritty anymore and has gone out of its way to add more important women, although I'd argue its use of color, humor, and design philosophy (the whole idea behind the multiplayer was that they wanted to make a shooter Nintendo would make. It was approached as a party game) meant it never really was a dudebro game. Gears is not as dudebro anymore. God of War uses its previous history as a storytelling device to show a more mature and kinda broken Kratos, and it explores the relationship with his son. Helldivers' whole thing is that its aesthetic and setting is satire.

I feel like calling those games dudebro paints these games with too broad of a brush, much like how people call Nintendo games kiddy because they make Mario and their games have color. All that aside, I would like to see Nintendo try their hands at some gameplay or design ideas from these games. A Nintendo game that has the chaos and sheer fun of Helldivers, or their spin on an intimate action adventure game like God of War 2018 would be sick.

Last edited:
There's nothing mature about dudebro games; in fact I'd say it's the most juvenile genre out there.

"Dudebro" is such a loaded term and under that definition, no. But I do think Nintendo limiting themselves to more family friendly stuff is a bit uninteresting. Not because I think I need my fix of mature games from Nintendo, but just because they're some of the best designers in the world and I'd like to see them tackle a mature game. There's definitely things you can do with the settings of mature games that you can't do as well in other games. I guess that's Metroid nowadays? But ehhhh, it's not made by Nintendo themselves. And I don't think it's exactly been pushing boundaries much since Fusion either.

I mean... are "dudebro" games even a thing anymore? Halo isn't as gritty anymore and has gone out of its way to add more important women, although I'd argue its use of color, humor, and design philosophy (the whole idea behind the multiplayer was that they wanted to make a shooter Nintendo would make. It was approached as a party game.)
Halo was never "dudebro" in the traditional sense, that was just a side effect of it being one of the first huge multiplayer console shooters. It's audience was naturally dudebro, but if you look at the games and their inspirations it was always a mixture of very cartoony stuff with some ... I'd argue ... surprisingly good darker storytelling? In the original series, I mean. Reach and ODST were definitely more dudebro but it kind of fit with the setting they were going for.

343 aside from maybe Halo 4's more cinematic Naughty Dog inspirations always took the games for a more comic booky direction since day one .... which I wouldn't say is a good thing to be honest. They might have fixed it in Infinite but 5 and a lot of 4 felt very toothless.

I'll accept Nintendo creating a "dudebro" IP as long as it's just a cherry on top of all their other IPs, not the future of the company or anything like that. Or in other words, I don't want it stepping on the toes of what Nintendo is right now.
bayonetta is a dudebro game

not taking questions at this time
Well, it would be most ideal if this hypothetical game simply filled the same "expand the audience for Nintendo's consoles" role that Bayonetta does.

A grittier action/shooter game, sure, even if that's not what I personally want from Nintendo. But, then again, we have Metroid Prime, which is really all we need. I doubt they'd go grittier than that.

"Dudebro" is a relic of a not so great time in the industry and I think it's best if we let it be forgotten, so with that definition in mind it's gonna be a Big No from me. Nintendo is better off not doing that.

We can describe more mature games with other labels instead of one that was actually pretty juvenile when all things are considered.

I'm using dudebro to mean straight up FPS and sports games

then yes I wish Nintendo made dudebro games

I object to the premise of this thread. OP barely even explained what they meant by "dudebro" games, and instead seems to be using it as a term for "games I personally don't like".

If by "dudebro" we simply mean FPS and more traditional sports games, then sure. Heck, M-rated fare in general would be cool to see from their first-party studios.

I instantly clicked "no" though, because "dudebro" makes me thinks of toxic masculinity, and that's no good.

If your definition is "shooting, gore, multiplayer and grittiness" I can see them doing this with Metroid Prime 4 without the gore and the multiplayer more as a side online mode.

Back
Top Bottom