• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you wish Nintendo made more "dudebro" games?

Would you want it?

• Yes

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 145 83.8%

• Total voters
dudebro needs a comeback. that 2007 era was really good. seems like it died and hallway simulator games took its place which suck. but hey I think those games are dying so dudebro can get its spot back

Nah. Give me more games like Engage and Tingle's Rupee Land where the cast wouldn't like out of place at a Pride Parade.

Wario games already exist…

But seriously, we get enough of those games. I would much rather Nintendo go even more in the opposite direction than they do now if we want them to branch out.

depxhl1cipta1.jpg

s-l400.jpg

The first dudebro game

Honestly no, I feel like that would lose that whimsical Nintendo magic

Depends. Another time, another place, I could have seen Nintendo building up something like Helldivers, themselves. But that's not the kind of game Nintendo wants to cultivate on their platform.

We already missed Zangeki No Reginleiv which is gory and egdy, so I put yes.
And then both Reggie and Operation Rainfall betrayed us who wanted it...

By what OP's definition of "dudebro" game, no, not at all. I don't miss these kinds of games on Nintendo's portfolio in the slightest.

But on what I understood of dudebro games back then, was Nintendo's baseball line of titles with Ken Griffey Jr. (SNES, GB, GBC and N64)

"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design. I always try to create new experiences that are fun to play." - Shigeru Miyamoto
So yeah Nintendo could have made Halo I guess. :V

But seriously, do a new Federation Force with a campaign and pvp multiplayer and release it six months after Prime 4 comes out.

We need a modern take on urban champion with blood and swearing that exudes insane amounts of testosterone

If Halo is "dudebro" then yea, I would like Nintendo to make a shooter as good as the OG trilogy/Reach Halo games.

I don’t need Nintendo to make gritty shooters, but I would love to see the first three Halo and Gears games ported. Get the XBLA version of Perfect Dark at the same time. Genuinely a bummer the dearth of great local multiplayer co-op and pvp shooters on Switch.

What Nintendo should do is add splitscreen to Splatoon. Let me play Tower Control online and Salmon Run online and offline with a couch co-op friend.

I think they should make a dudebro game specifically for gay men

I again will not be taking any questions at this time
If Nintendo ever makes anything targeted at gay men that acknowledges gay men and put queerness at the center, my wallet will not empty itself fast enough. (Yes, I know Nintendo already attracts a lot of gay and queer men with their games.)

Oh, this isn't a bad idea. Bring back the Excite, 1080, and Wave Race brands. They have an energy that I don't think Nintendo currently is targeting. Forget a Mario Sports Mix-esque collection for Switch in 2024. Give me a Nintendo Arcade Extreme Sports collection instead. I've only played the Excite Truck games and don't really dabble in extreme sports games typically, but I'd buy a collection like that this year so quickly. Maybe set it in a Nintendo Land-esque hub world called the X-Po where you have a mountain next to an ocean next to a skate park next to a race track next to whatever other nonsensical stuff exists and is needed for sports. Or perhaps it takes place on Rad Island, Wuhu's cooler cousin.

Last edited:
It seems I have no idea what dudebro games are exactly. I guess a game that dude bros would play, if that demographic is still monolithic/not segmented over time or large enough to be targeted today.

Halo and Gears make sense, edgey(ish I guess), military, good guys (usually men) triumph over mostly black and white moral villains. Not that they can't be genuinely heartfelt. But certainly simple overall. Usually guns or violence is involved. But if you squint hard enough that describes a loooot games that don't fit the vibe.

Gears 1-3 feels like the best example.

Halo I guess, but I agree that feels like more of a consequence of being the biggest online game in 2007 when the demographic was marketed to.

I'd argue COD was about as dude bro as Halo was for the same reasons as Halo. (something something 2007 call of duty lobby).

God of War 1-3 kind of makes sense thematically, very edgy and gory and the marketing certainly targeted masculine stereotypes. But no multiplayer means that 2007 mountain dew wave era didn't really hit the dude bro demographic like Gears and Halo did. And they are very different games to halo and gears both in gameplay and vibes.

I guess old school masculine character beats up monsters (particularly with online multiplayer?) is the main determination of the dudebro vibe. Or maybe it was the cringey marketing of that era?

The closest thing that would make sense might be a more traditional multiplayer shooter than Splatoon. And I do think there is some room in Nintendo's dev teams for this...but they're getting COD and I think Nintendo considers Splatoon close enough despite the fairly large differences. (splatoon is dying for 2 player split screen and some optional bots, even if they suck).

But there's a reason they don't get made as much now, market is saturated and more fragmented.

And even if they did... I don't know if you can really capture that era without it feeling like self parody and they'd put some spin on it anyway.

I wouldn't mind a game with somewhat grittier visuals than Nintendo usually goes for, if only for varieties sake. Though it wouldn't be a priority for me.

I can't really see an old school gears-like do to well in today's market. Gears itself isn't exactly killing it sales wise and 4/5 seem different enough to the old games. 6 might do well, the non free to play, shooter market has been someone underserved compared to its crazy run in 360 era. But it'd probably be for the campaign primarily.

If Nintendo ever makes a more standard shooter (well, aside from Geist I guess), I would want them to not take from Gears and Halo, I'd want them to take from Boomer Shooters. Now, that might just be my love for the sub-genre speaking, but I could also see their mix of exploration and enemy design fitting in super well with their design philosophies. Despite it's gore, I'd say something like Doom and Quake are much closer to Nintendo's game design philosphies than Halo or Titanfall or Half-Life are.
Kid Icarus Uprising has some GREAT enemies, but levels are pretty closed off because that game was pushing the 3DS HARD. And the weapons being "take one into a mission and you're stuck with it" is something I would leave behind, in exchange for becoming a walking arsenal that uses specific weapons where they'd be most effective. Never got good with the Orbitars or Palms just because of this.
Hearing Federation Force started out as being inspired by Quake and then becoming an extremely slow co-op shooter hurt my soul more than the reveal ever did. So yeah, I wouldn't mind them taking a shot at a more relatively mature shooter game. Well, besides Metroid Prime.

Or alternatively how can I make this about F-Zero? the comic book-y world of F-Zero probably wouldn't mind a bit of grit to it. I mean, X is metal as hell and is actually very surprising to see content wise from Nintendo of the time, Blood Falcon's main art has him holding the decapitated head of some bug alien. GX's scuffed metal HUD and general artstyle would fit in a more serious game, the game just usually goes super off the rails goofy with it aside from some of the Pilot Profiles in a mix of intentionally and unintentionally.
I'd like them to keep a balance though, as much as going all in on the edgier stuff with song names such as The Long Distance of Murder, Devil's Call In Your Heart and Shotgun Kiss would rule.

When I think dudebro, I think Army of Two and dudebros murdering hundreds of people and pausing to fistbump after every dozen.

Remember they are a Japanese company. Their version of dudebro would be kinda diff. I think Tecmo Koei/Sega kinda have that covered.

Like Yakuza...

‘Dudebro’ was more a specific era of specific genres, almost entirely in the 00s. Even the series that exemplified it have moved past it, as an appeal to adolescent boys who think gore and guns and swearing and bald soldiers is the height of masculinity to aspire to is a bit of a dated concept even in AAA action games or the games popular with teenage boys today.

There’s some cool boomer shooters on Switch, but when even Gears and God of War have left that era behind, while Assassins Creed has long since moved into being quasi-historical-inspired actions RPGs, I don’t think we need to see ‘dudebro’ again.

Instead, games have landed on the idea that they can both appeal to young men and hit a level of representation by having female protagonists. Which is awesome, but then also can get really weird, like in the Tomb Raider games with the weirdly voyeuristic death scenes, or Persona’s outright hypocrisy over its ‘fight systemic misogyny!’ and ‘but it’s ok if you do it!’ with it’s female cast.

Still, baby steps, I guess.

Last edited:
200w.gif

Faux edgy attitude is not why I'm a Nintendo customer.
Which doesn't mean there couldn't be such games from third-parties on Nintendo platforms.
Even in the case Nintendo was the publisher, like past examples as Eternal Darkness and Geist, there was always an unique underlying game mechanics that made the game potentially interesting.
It wasn't just 'let's make a dudebro game for the sake of making a dudebro game'.
Thinking Nintendo greenlight games based on characters, lore, attitude, the last fashion of the day and such is insulting to Nintendo's DNA.

Last edited:
No. Why would I want that? I'm drawn to Nintendo games for what they are, being extremely different from those games. If I want to play those games I'll play them, I'm not some weird loyalist who won't dip my toe in anything if it's not adjacent a big shiny Nintendo logo.

Ken! Haven’t we had this conversation before, lol?
No, I'm fairly certain it's Kevin Levin. I should know: BioShock is one of my all-time favorites, and BioShock Infinite is one of my all-time least favorites. I have one big reason to love Kevin, and another big reason to hate him. He's a remarkable gaming auteur I want to shake hands with, but also a colossal hack I hold in contempt. He's Bionicle, but also Duplo. Really encapsulates the duality of man.

Kevin Levin is iterating on BioShock through the magic of making another BioShock not actually named BioShock. Kevin Levin doesn't do what Kevin Levin does for Kevin Levin. Kevin Levin does what Kevin Levin does because Kevin Levin is Kevin Levin. Check it out:

I'm not sure why you disqualified Metroid Prime OP, since that is pretty much Nintendo's version of a dudebro game.

Bayonetta is another one. Both of these are similar to the games and genres you described.

I think they've got this covered with Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3. I don't need more personally.

Not from Nintendo at least.

The dudebro era is... not something gaming should be proud of. It dominated the gaming landscape during the 2000s-early 2010s to such an extreme degree that it kinda kept me from ever wanting to buy a different gaming console; none of the games on the PS3 or Xbox 360 looked interesting to me because they were all about gritty men shooting other men for gritty men reasons. By contrast, Nintendo games were always fun and that fun didn't come at the cost of adding unnecessary blood and gore.

It just wasn't an interesting period as a game buyer in the slightest. Nowadays we have a more varied palette so it's easier to look back at that stuff with rose-tinted glasses when you get a game that apes being from that period, but the drab back then was a massive problem. I'd rather have Nintendo stay far away from it with their main studios.

Not from Nintendo at least.

The dudebro era is... not something gaming should be proud of. It dominated the gaming landscape during the 2000s-early 2010s to such an extreme degree that it kinda kept me from ever wanting to buy a different gaming console; none of the games on the PS3 or Xbox 360 looked interesting to me because they were all about gritty men shooting other men for gritty men reasons. By contrast, Nintendo games were always fun and that fun didn't come at the cost of adding unnecessary blood and gore.

It just wasn't an interesting period as a game buyer in the slightest. Nowadays we have a more varied palette so it's easier to look back at that stuff with rose-tinted glasses when you get a game that apes being from that period, but the drab back then was a massive problem. I'd rather have Nintendo stay far away from it with their main studios.
Yeah this. Even though I played dude bro games like Uncharted, Killzone, Call of Duty, Battlefield and so on at that time, it was really boring visually.

Wario games already exist…

But seriously, we get enough of those games. I would much rather Nintendo go even more in the opposite direction than they do now if we want them to branch out.
Such games don't even exist on Nintendo systems and hasn't since the GameCube. I wouldn't say we have enough of those games when we haven't had them in over 20 years

Bayonetta IP. Bayonetta and Jeanne goes through some new fantastical world as a tag team, third person shooter.
Make it as dude bro as you can. Except it is two ladies who will look like very good friends with each other.

Fine. And you can still have Lukaon in there somewhere as the third wheel. They can be a throuple.

If your definition of dudebro is that a woman can't be the main character like you suggest with Metroid then no I dont want that.

But I wouldn't mind a more story focused game that tries to stay more grounded?
We have Zelda and Fire Emblem for fantasy stories and Metroid and Astral Chain for Scifi on the Switch.

If we get a game with as much story focus as Astral Chain and action combat, be it a shooter or melee focused, but maybe a little wacky and out there I would be content.

I would also be really content with Astral Chain 2 but I'm just trying to stay in the spirit of the thread.

Let third-parties bring the dudebro titles to Nintendo platforms while Nintendo continues with their proven magic.

I do not think the Nintendo magic and dudebro qualities are mutually exclusive. For me the former is about a focus on gameplay and playfulness in design rather than lack of gore, shooting or any other kind of dudebro content.

It's not something I would specifically want, but I voted yes because I would find it very funny.

Splatoon?

Hear me out: beneath the vibrant colors and cute characters, you get together with your ‘bros’ and blow people up with ink. Then you are rewarded for your violence with money (because capitalism is still king) so you can buy outfits, trading cards, weapons, and decorations for your locker. You can also earn badges to honor the effectiveness
of your violence and kills. And that’s not even getting into the shady operation that is Salmon Run, where you can take a job by murdering salmons and stealing their babies for a genocidal bear.

Also, before the Octopath expansion, there was the issue with the octolings that miiiiiight have been a bit speciest.

Yeah. The ones we've got from Nintendo were for the most part either incredibly fun, memeworthy, or some combination of both. You'd need the right amount of seriousness and camp to pull it off, but Nintendo could do it.
I want to see nintendo make something like Disaster Day of Crisis again.
I'm glad to see someone remember the rollercoaster ride MonolithSoft bestowed upon us mere mortals in 2008.
MDg3LTEzLmpwZw

Y3dpMDc3LmpwZw

QmtHai94MTgw

dG89d2VicA

We already missed Zangeki No Reginleiv which is gory and egdy, so I put yes.
How was that game? I know there's a fan translation at the least. Norse Earth Defense Force always seemed like a cool concept. The black box art to let people know it's mature and hardcore was also an interesting design decision.
anBn

I'm also nominating Geist and Devil's Third as "dudebro" Nintendo games.
anBn

anBn

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom