• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you like board games, fami?

Do you like physical board and/or card games?

• Yes, I like board games and prefer them to video games.

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Yes, I like board games but not as much as video games.

Votes: 67 54.5%
  • No, I don't like board games.

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I like board games and video games equally!!!

Votes: 39 31.7%

• Total voters
Also, if anyone enjoys board games and wanna try Table Top Simulator but it's afraid about how user unfriendly it is/looks, I could give them a walk thorugh the app... which is great but not the most intuitive for begginers.

Also, if anyone enjoys board games and wanna try Table Top Simulator but it's afraid about how user unfriendly it is/looks, I could give them a walk thorugh the app... which is great but not the most intuitive for begginers.
Honestly, I have two main problems with TTS that makes me recommend BGA more than it. First, the games implementation is kind of a roulette, maybe a game will play like a dream, or maybe it will be just like playing in a table, where you have to do all the setup and end of the round stuff, but more finicky than in real life.
And second and most important, my computer can barely play any game with too much stuff there.
Other than that, yeah it's a great system and I recommend people to wait for 4 pack sales, you can get the game with 3 more friends for a good price, and chances are these people can become a group to play regularly.
Also, it can be used to play RPG as well as board games.

Honestly, I have two main problems with TTS that makes me recommend BGA more than it. First, the games implementation is kind of a roulette, maybe a game will play like a dream, or maybe it will be just like playing in a table, where you have to do all the setup and end of the round stuff, but more finicky than in real life.
And second and most important, my computer can barely play any game with too much stuff there.
Other than that, yeah it's a great system and I recommend people to wait for 4 pack sales, you can get the game with 3 more friends for a good price, and chances are these people can become a group to play regularly.
Also, it can be used to play RPG as well as board games.

Only problem I have with BGA is that some of my favourite boardgames are not there... But for sure is a safer bet, as you say, some implementations in TTS are pretty bad since most of them are made by fans, while others are extremely good.

Root's fun

Have you played Ahoy? I got that at a convention earlier this year but haven't played it yet.

We haven’t bought the expansions yet- still at the point of explaining to our daughter why she can’t start with all the best resource spots all the time :D

Haha, makes sense.

Re: TTS vs BGA talk, I think both have value. BGA is easier, but game selection is lower. TTS feels closer to playing an actual board game with friends.

Have you played Ahoy? I got that at a convention earlier this year but haven't played it yet.
I haven't, I'm actually not much of a board game guy but my brother and his girlfriend are so we've been playing together. I'll ask them about Ahoy. Is it similar to Root?

To be specific, the thing I love about Root is the asymmetrical gameplay. Each faction plays like a completely different game, all together on the same board. I heard it described as "three people playing a strategy game and one person playing D&D", in reference to the Vagabond. Personally my favorite is the Eyrie Dynasty. The way you set up your turn via the Decree is incredibly fun.

Horrified is another board game with asymmetrical gameplay like that. I really enjoy that one, too.

I haven't, I'm actually not much of a board game guy but my brother and his girlfriend are so we've been playing together. I'll ask them about Ahoy. Is it similar to Root?

To be specific, the thing I love about Root is the asymmetrical gameplay. Each faction plays like a completely different game, all together on the same board. I heard it described as "three people playing a strategy game and one person playing D&D", in reference to the Vagabond. Personally my favorite is the Eyrie Dynasty. The way you set up your turn via the Decree is incredibly fun.

Horrified is another board game with asymmetrical gameplay like that. I really enjoy that one, too.

Ahoy is a lighter version of Root type gameplay by the same creator, so it might be too simple if you are already used to Root.

Only problem I have with BGA is that some of my favourite boardgames are not there... But for sure is a safer bet, as you say, some implementations in TTS are pretty bad since most of them are made by fans, while others are extremely good.
Don't worry, since Asmodee owns BGA soon the whole industry will be theirs and maybe it will all be there :(

It's a two player only game (the box lies saying it is for 4) but have you tried Star Wars Rebellion?

My copy of Moonrakers arrived today. I kickstarted it nearly a year ago so it's been a long time coming. Looking forward to the session with my friends.

Played some Sythe again last night.

Ended in last place again, but it’s just a fun game to play.

Here I am back with a new month report.
April had 18 matches of 10 different games, this number is highly elevated by quick games, in which one match becomes two, sometimes three.

I played a bit of Klask with my brother, a friend of mine swapped his copy for my brother's copy of (I kid you not, and with no money difference) Masquerade. Really really fun game, recommend to anyone that may enjoy airhockey and will work with people that do not care for boardgames.
Also played for the first time Cascadia (fun, but I dunno, something about the constraints of Calico still works better to me), Quacks of Quedlinburg (I really want to play more. Freaking loved it!) and Don't L.L.A.M.A. Dice* (proved to be a hit everywhere and always ends up a second and third match).
My brother gave me a copy of Coloretto he had stached to give someone as a gift, so I gave it to my GF, we took it and played with her younger sister (7 years), and it worked well, she understood the rules and we had some fun.
I finally was able to play Tsukiji again, have been trying all year. Really fun game with simple rules that can have a strategic depth.
Also I taught Calico to a group of girls there that never played modern games, one of them saw the game on TikTok and was curious about it (and maybe the only person that took the game seriously, she demolished her friends in the score).
All in all a good month for playing, I still have to try Unicorn Fever with more people and finally put Wingspan to the table. Also I need to play Quacks more now that I understand it's mechanisms better.

*For some reason the localization of this game hates the jokes, the game is simply Llama Dice, and the manual has no mention of a Llama Drama even if in portuguese it works (at least I always explain as "Drama da Lhama").

My copy of Terraforming Mars: Ares Expedition (and expansions!) arrived a few weeks ago, and I've only had one chance to sit down and play through it. I think it does a pretty nice job of translating the fundamentals of Terraforming Mars to a different gameplay format! But I'm fully in the tank for TM, so maybe I'm not being objective.

Just saw this now:

Few games on this listthat has been on my radar for a while but haven't bought yet:

I have heard about Return to Dark Tower but didn't realise it was a co-op game so I'm very tempted by that too. Would love to try on TTS but I don't have friends interested.

Last edited:
Cool to see Hero Realms digital got a runner-up in the app category. Local company makes that series and it’s one of my preferred deck builders.

The three GOTYs insterest me to some degree (Carnegie a little less nowadays since I'm not playing that many heavy games).
Really glad for This Game is Broken finally getting their golden geek, they were runner ups for many years, I'm curious if they ever prepared themselves for a chance of actually winning.
I was ready to get angry for That Time You Killed Me not being even a runner up, buuut I remembered that for the US it's a 2021 game (and not a 2023 game like here).

So I'm actively flirting with getting back into Arkham Horror LCG after discovering there's a new group on Meetup that meets bi-weekly. I know Fantasy Flight recently revamped the distribution model to eliminate the blister pack hunting (which wasn't a problem for me years ago with a decent FLGS nearby) which also looks to be slightly cheaper than the old model too (a nice perk) and the Core Set comes with everything for 4 players (extra nice perk) instead of just 2. So this seems like a really good time to dip back into the eldritch waters.

However, I saw they're doing the same with the older LOTR LCG and I'm curious about checking that out. Does anyone have experience with that? I'm not a hardcore Tolkien fan but something that's AH-esque with a traditional fantasy setting and building a deck around multiple heroes seems intriguing.

Both games I'd probably end up playing solo more than multiplayer, which I know makes for a less engaging time but my brain is getting itchy for an offline game with a campaign again. I should probably finally do the campaign in Sentinels of the Multiverse Definitive Edition :ROFLMAO:

Another new month, another roundup of boardgaming:
Only 12 matches this month, but 11 different games.

I'm glad I got to take the dust of Speicherstadt really fun little game, also it was a month for fun little games for the most of it.
The libary event is starting to dwindle in it's purpose, specially since my GF has been busy in the weekends and it starts to take more effort to put a table together. The good thing is the event is starting to get more and more successful, but since the amount of people that takes games and know how to play stays the same, the tables start to be formed with 6+ players, limiting severely the games that can be played or the time it takes to find 3 people to play something smaller.
In this last month I got to play Speicherstadt there, Relikt (which belongs to my brother and he lent me to try to play it and sell it) and 6 Nimmt!.
Then we set a game day at my place, and it was great, we played:
Dune: Imperium, nice game, would never spend money on it, but I'm glad I know someone who did.
Quacks of Quedlinburg which is still a success everytime and I just ordered the expansion because the 5th player is becoming necessary for it.
Finally got to put my Wingspan on the table. Enjoyed, can be light but also a headscratcher. Got really screwed by some objectives that were almost impossible to achieve, should not have focused on those.
Wizard, fun game, ugly as hell, but really fun (also some friends that never heard of it had created a similar game in the 00s).
Divicity is a trick taking game created for a event that my friend went, really fun and mean (most of the points chips are negative), if it ever gets out of Brazil I recommend, even though there are some themes on it's scoring that are kind of specific for the region of the convention.
Fantasy Realms I also enjoyed a lot, but the scoring can be really fiddly (and I say that as the player who won by a freaking large margin).
Don't L.L.A.M.A. Dice! is always great.
And to finish it all, I won a copy of That Time You Killed Me, played with the GF she did not get excited for it, but I'll try another time to see if it vibes with her again before writing it of.

Took my time for this one. Sorry
Played 15 matches and 8 different games last month.

Played PowerGrid after years, such a great game, it always amazes me how good can it be. Also I won, almost didn't because I did not realize I could, but someone pointed out, so I did the math and they were right.
Too bad That Time You Killed Me did not gel with my gf, at least I did not pay for it, not sure if I can try to trade it with someone, sell it, or find someone to at least play a whole campaign before sending it off.
But I'm glad My City Roll & Write did gel with her, we made some pizza, drank some wine and played a couple of sessions.
Also she got me a copy of Bandido for valentine's day and we had a lot of fun with it, it's so quick to lose so if we play it's always a couple of matches.
Quacks is now my best friend, the expansion is great and I want to play it every time.
I think I've never lost so bad as this last match in 7W Duel, but great game the same.
We played a home-made version of Fake Artist Goes to New York, if anyone enjoys social games and want something for some laughs, do not sleep on this one. You only need some paper and colored markers (or pencil, pens, crayons, etc)*, it can be strategic, fun, and it's a good thing no player has to actually lie, which I know makes some people uneasy.
*Of course, if you can please buy it and support the designer.
Last but not least: the newest Brazilian designed game that's been released "O Bom do Videogame" (there's a manual in BGG calling it as Videogame Champion, not sure if it will be released with this as its international title somewhere). A good and tight game of worker placement where you play as a kid that enjoys videogames in the 8/16bit era. Very thematic, but has simple enough rules to make it easy to start playing quick and suddenly losing yourself thinking how you will find the time to play, but you also have to promise to your parents you'll study so you get enough money and when everything seems to go your way WHO RENTED THAT FIGHTING GAME I WAS PLANNING ON GETTING? So yeah... recommended.

Til next month.

The main reason i prefer videogames to board games is because i can play them solo. I have no friends to play board games with :(

The main reason i prefer videogames to board games is because i can play them solo. I have no friends to play board games with :(
You can always play with us on BoardGame Arena, Tabletop Simulator or similar platforms, we just need to schedule someday to play with the people here :).
There are also many games with good solo options and some that are solo only nowadays.

You can always play with us on BoardGame Arena, Tabletop Simulator or similar platforms, we just need to schedule someday to play with the people here :).
There are also many games with good solo options and some that are solo only nowadays.
That would be cool. I don‘t have table top simulator but would be willing to get it if a group was arranged.

Is it even worth bothering with TTS any more? Devs seem to have abandoned it rather trying to have any sort of moderation policy for chat.

Is it that bad nowadays? I mainly play on BGA when I play online. Had no idea it had gotten to that point.
I've no idea actually! I just recently uninstalled it because I haven't used it in over two years at this point and it hasn't seen an update in nearly as long.

Tabletop Simulator works fine. I think the last update they made was some kind of discord integration whic I didn't care for. The platform, even with its ugly and almost amateurish user interface, works well and I play it regularly. And more importantly, the community continues to create mods of the recently launched games so it's "updated" in that way.

Also, there is a pretty active discord group where you can find others to play and schedule games daily called ttsclub.

Tabletop Simulator works fine. I think the last update they made was some kind of discord integration whic I didn't care for. The platform, even with its ugly and almost amateurish user interface, works well and I play it regularly. And more importantly, the community continues to create mods of the recently launched games so it's "updated" in that way.

Also, there is a pretty active discord group where you can find others to play and schedule games daily called ttsclub.
Ok good to know. Since my computer is a bit old, there are many games that do not run that well on TTS anymore (hope I can upgrade it next year), so I've been playing more on BGA since it's browser based.

So I'm actively flirting with getting back into Arkham Horror LCG after discovering there's a new group on Meetup that meets bi-weekly. I know Fantasy Flight recently revamped the distribution model to eliminate the blister pack hunting (which wasn't a problem for me years ago with a decent FLGS nearby) which also looks to be slightly cheaper than the old model too (a nice perk) and the Core Set comes with everything for 4 players (extra nice perk) instead of just 2. So this seems like a really good time to dip back into the eldritch waters.

However, I saw they're doing the same with the older LOTR LCG and I'm curious about checking that out. Does anyone have experience with that? I'm not a hardcore Tolkien fan but something that's AH-esque with a traditional fantasy setting and building a deck around multiple heroes seems intriguing.

Both games I'd probably end up playing solo more than multiplayer, which I know makes for a less engaging time but my brain is getting itchy for an offline game with a campaign again. I should probably finally do the campaign in Sentinels of the Multiverse Definitive Edition :ROFLMAO:
Yeah the LotR LCG is a great game. I haven't played the Arkham Horror LCG but I believe LotR emphasizes deck building, card interactions, and board management more compared to AH's persistent RPG-heavy angle (though if you don't want to deck build, they have pre-built theme decks now or you can find stuff online). The LotR re-releases have added a little bit more stuff for persistent campaign mode though. It's a challenging game, great theme, creative scenario designs, and lots of deck options and strategic depth.

Haven't posted itt in a while even though I still read it. My girlfriend and I are gonna be on the road for three weeks and she bought several travel sized games for us to play, will try to report as soon as I'm back home!

I generally prefer video games to board games, but prefer Magic The Gathering to video games.

Currently playing through Parks by Keymaster Games and loving it.

I highly recommend the Nightfall expansion for Parks. It adds some small tweaks and more importantly, it makes the end of the year objectives way more interesting.

I've been there too, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, the possibilities are endless! Here's the deal: Table Top Simulator may not be the most intuitive for beginners, but fear not, my friend! I can give you a step-by-step walk-through of the app. We'll tackle everything from setting up a game to navigating the virtual table like a pro. Before you know it, you'll be hosting your own game nights with ease! And let's not forget about the excitement of flipping the digital dice! If you want some RNG action, check out roll a d20 for all your random number needs.

Last edited:
Just like many of you, I wasn't hugely into board games as a kid, but over the past couple of years, I've become obsessed with them! From chess to Mice & Mystics, the thrill of forming strategies and playing with friends over drinks and snacks is unbeatable!
Board games bring that social connection that I missed from video games. Don't get me wrong, video games are cool, but there's something special about gathering with family and friends, having some drinks, and diving into a game together. It's like creating unforgettable memories in real time!
Recently, my friends and I tried out euchre online, and let me tell you, the laughter and friendly competition were through the roof! It's become our go-to game for virtual hangouts, and it's a blast every time.

Last edited:
I've been there too, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, the possibilities are endless! Here's the deal: Table Top Simulator may not be the most intuitive for beginners, but fear not, my friend! I can give you a step-by-step walk-through of the app. We'll tackle everything from setting up a game to navigating the virtual table like a pro. Before you know it, you'll be hosting your own game nights with ease! And let's not forget about the excitement of flipping the digital dice! If you want some RNG action, check out roll a d20 for all your random number needs.
Do you host games?

As promised, a quick update on the travel sized games my girlfriend and I took on our trip through the Canadian Rockies:

It's basically a supercharged version of connect four played with small cards on a 6x6 grid, which also makes it a good travel game. Your deck consists of cards valued 1 to 9 and have to place them in a row of four and you can place higher valued cards on top of lower valued ones. This was our fave even though it's nicer with three people because every player gets random cards from the fourth unused colour which adds another strategic element.

Our version is called Kwatro but is otherwise the same. Another tile placement game like Punto but not very ideal for travels: You have to keep track of some wild point counts and the playing field can grow to an unreasonable size. Didn't enjoy it as much in that setting but might go back to it eventually.

This is super fun dexterity but requires a stable and level surface to play it. You're basically building a camp fire by drawing cards which show you the different wooden blocks you have to add without making your "tower" fall. The tweezers that come with the game are a little bit shit though, we wanna find a replacement.

The only small cooperative game we could find and it rules but it's tough as nails. Multiple heroes fight one villain wile trying to "put out fires" in seven areas. First boss is manageable, second kicked our asses multiple times. Had to stop when we were finally developing some sort of strategy to watch whales. Still, very fun game and I love how it's actually mint/dental health themed: The villains have names like Sir Hal E. Tosis and Plaqula etc.

Just an FYI, there’s a bunch of Asmodee related games and expansions on sale as part of Amazon Prime’s garage sale today. Particularly Fantasy Flight Games games and expansions, but I’ve seen a few other things like Dixit and Pandemic + expansions on sale too

Happy new year and happy new games. I stopped the monthly roundup but I'm going to make the yearly at least here.

These are the games I played last year

I've played 152 matches of 75 different games.
My most played games last year were:
Quacks of Quedlinburg: 11 times
Don't L.L.H.A.M.A. dice: 10 times
Azul (mini and normal version summer): 8 times
Calico: 6 times
Bandido: 5 times.

I hope this year we all get to enjoy our cardboard, paper, wood and plastic toys even more and have lots of fun while doing so :).

Recently picked up this game, Earth, for a friend for his birthday, and we ended up playing it together over the holidays. It was on a couple top 10 lists for board games of 2023 so I opted for it

It's one to five players (solo mode has you playing against an Artificial Intelligence called Gaia), and it's a game of complex strategizing, but while the rules can be dense (there's a QR code to watch a video explanation which really helped a lot), what really appealed to me was that even when it's not your turn, the actions of others still benefit you and keep you engaged as you attempt to plant flora, compost soil, sprout new seedlings, and encourage growth, all while maintaining your land mass and climate and the bonuses contained within. There are mini-goals to acquire point bonuses based on the four fauna cards drawn at the beginning of each game, and as per the instruction manual based on the combination of unique cards there are about ~25,600 possible variations to the game.

For all its many layered complexities, it does a fantastic job keeping you focused even when it's not your turn. Cards can be played without having to wait for your turn and while it's not necessarily on a timer you can still strategize based on what bonuses you can collect and want to collect. Depending on the amount of players you have, it can be anywhere from 45-90 minutes, and there are easier alternate rules to follow for first time players and beginners.

Since a bot bumped this lovely thread, I'll share a picture from a recent Target adventure that gave me a good laugh.

IMG_0757.jpg

Do you play board games, Fami? Tax Boy doesn't. I think he is missing out!

Since a bot bumped this lovely thread, I'll share a picture from a recent Target adventure that gave me a good laugh.

IMG_0757.jpg

Do you play board games, Fami? Tax Boy doesn't. I think he is missing out!
Specially Azul, such a great fun little game. Tax Boy should reconsider.

I do but getting a bunch of grown adults to agree to set aside time for a specific game is like juggling while hanging upside down

That's convenient....... Also Monopoly can take too damn long, maybe you can try another game and eventually finish the matches, there's a great variety of games nowadays :).
Well we usually just say whoever is winning by the time we end is the winner, so it works out. The only reason I win so much is because I always go for the blue set and people land on it every time, giving me thousands of dollars above everybody else

Well we usually just say whoever is winning by the time we end is the winner, so it works out. The only reason I win so much is because I always go for the blue set and people land on it every time, giving me thousands of dollars above everybody else
It's a common ocurrance to not finish games (I mean, not that common, but not exaclty unheard of). But I prefer to try to actually finish the games, there are some strategies that rely upon being a strong finisher.
In fact I usually am great at designing early game strategies, but awful at long game, so usually I try to finish games as soon as possible, or people target me because they see me in the lead and did not realize that I was at my apex already and my strategy was winding down. My brother on the other hand is the opposite, he usually starts weak and when you realize he already has a damn engine running and there's nothing to be done. So when we play together it's usually a tug of war, I'm trying to finish the games early to capitalize on my strong start and he is trying to make the game as long as possible to gather the most benefits of his points-machine.

A while back I got my Marvel Zombies boardgame I backed through Kickstarter; it’s fun! It’s Zombicide with a twist, in this case you play as the zombies. Invading the streets of New York, fighting off living SHIELD troopers and surviving heroes is super fun.

Board gets crowded quickly with all the power ups of your zombie hero.

We play a lot of stuff; from Everdell to Eclipse, Wingspann and many other things.

Back
Top Bottom