• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you like board games, fami?

Do you like physical board and/or card games?

• Yes, I like board games and prefer them to video games.

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Yes, I like board games but not as much as video games.

Votes: 67 54.5%
  • No, I don't like board games.

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I like board games and video games equally!!!

Votes: 39 31.7%

• Total voters
I think most people prefer the one they played first? I don't know if that's your case here, but in my case I started with Birmingham and loved it. However, I am getting Lancashire this Christmas because I mostly play two player and I heard people really enjoy the two player board in Lancashire and how tight it can get.

I am a little worried about how OP connections in the rail era seem to be because there is no beer to compensate for them, but at the same time I look forward to take more use of the overbuild action with other player's industries (it's really hard in two player Birmingham because how big the market is). What's that you prefer in Lancashire over Birmingham? My partner has a bit of "analisys paralisys" with Birmingham and I am not sure if Lancashire being more tight will help her or not. It's tighter yeah, but at the same it looks like you can be "closed out" of options way easily.

I think you will love 7 Wonders Duel. I highly recommend the Pantheon expansion if you enjoy the game since it introduces a really great mechanic that will let you "skip" your turn of taking a card by doing another new action, which is great to introduce a bit more of unpredactibility (and saltiness) to the game.
I prefer Lancashire because it's tighter and simpler. Fewer industries and resources, but you'll only get "closed out" if can't read the game well. At it's heart Brass (both of them) is a game of dealing with supply and demand. If you have no options it's because you can't see where the demand of the players is going towards, and I feel the tightness of Lancashire amplifies these strengths better.
But both are 80% the same game, and by no means I'm saying Birmingham is a bad game, in fact many prefer it.
There are rumours of Roxley preparing a 2 player version of Brass, I think you maybe should wait out on this before buying Lancashire just for playing in two. Lancashire can be punishing so yeah, analysis paralysis can be a problem, also I'm not sure it will be different enough to have both.

I know and really enjoy 7wd played with my brother on BGA many times, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get the expansion, I bought from China, and it seems the colors can be a little faded compared to other (original) editions of the game.

A SHOVEL KNIGHT 2 PLAYER CARD GAME?!

I need to know more!
It's a fighting game. No idea how well it plays though. Exceed is L99's fighting game system that usually does sets around various licenses, there was a Street Fighter season at one point for example. But "fighting game as a card game" is sort of their bread & butter with BattleCON (their in-house fantasy universe) and they have the Sakura Arms license currently (which I still have yet to try).

They have a really fun catalog, definitely take a look though. Favorite designs of theirs are Millennium Blades (a humorous CCG tournament simulator that's a parody of Yu-Gi-Oh and other things) and Argent: The Consortium (worker placement in a wizarding school). Most of their games scratch a lot of my particular itches such as variable player powers, randomization of the setup, and a high degree of modularization. They do tend to be on the crunchier side with a good amount of upfront explanation and tend to run around 90-120 minutes.

Dominon rules so hard.
Hell yes. It's my preferred deckbuilder for 2 players. I do have a soft spot for Wise Wizard's Realms games and Direwolf's Clank! series. But those scratch other itches:
  • Star Realms - For when I want a 2P head-to-head deckbuilder that feels less like an optimization puzzle
  • Clank! / Clank! In! Space! - For when I want a 3-4 player deckbuilder
  • Hero Realms - For when I want a co-op 3-4 player deckbuilder (the campaign mode is cool with character classes / progression)

Last edited:
Can give a +1 on recommending level 99's games to people. My favorite is Pixel Tactics which is 1v1 card game battle that has a licensed Mega Man version.

Gloomhaven with my crew is my all-time favorite board game experience. If you don’t like plastic stands, you can always buy their fancy monster miniatures :p

Other games I adore: Everdell, Root, Wingspan, Azul. We picked up Oltree and even though we’ve only played it a few times I really like it. Oh, and Destinies! And Spirit Island and Lost Ruins of Arnak. Ahh, too many games to list. Oh, Raccoon Tycoon!

But some of my favorite games are also lighter party-style games. We just got Fun Facts and it’s so simple but, well, fun.

There’s an excellent, excellent digital version of Root that is the optimal way to learn the game, and I think it’s on Switch now too!

But seriously, if you have a good crew and can get together to play it regularly, Gloomhaven is an experience like no other. There’s just so much content there and a sense of discovery that is just great. Jaws of the Lion is honestly a great way to get into the game. Protip – there is an app that basically helps handle the initiative order and element strength and monster stats and behaviors for you so you don’t have to use the monster decks or the health counters at all. It’s the best app ever and makes the experience so much more streamlined. There’s another app for reading the cards and scenario intros for you with professional voice acting, which isn’t at all necessary but it does add to the immersion I think.

The sequel to Gloomhaven, Frosthaven, is just starting to ship to pre-order backers and it is probably going to keep up busy each Friday night for another year and we can’t wait. #nerds

Oh, I got Azul but I din't try it yet since it's a Christmas present. Nice to read more positive things about it!

I got interested in Jaws of the Lion but at the end I didn't bought it because I think my partner won't like it that much. Maybe if I get it at a discount I will bite since I am interested in it.

If you are into light party games one of my favourites is Bohnanza. It's about trading bean cards with other players, you are constantly negotiating with other players to exchange bean types, plant them in one of your three fields and then sell them. The unique element to it is that you can't change the cards order in your hand, which sometimes makes the better play trying to convince someone to accept one of your cards for free, as stupid as it may sound. I would recommend the 25th anniversary edition since it includes some new cards that make the game scale from 2 players up to 7 (original version is from 3 to 5).

But both are 80% the same game, and by no means I'm saying Birmingham is a bad game, in fact many prefer it.
There are rumours of Roxley preparing a 2 player version of Brass, I think you maybe should wait out on this before buying Lancashire just for playing in two. Lancashire can be punishing so yeah, analysis paralysis can be a problem, also I'm not sure it will be different enough to have both.

For sure, after learning all what's different about Lancashire and Birmingham, I am sure I will highly enjoy both of them.

Rumors of a 2 player Brass game? That really surprises me knowing how they adapted the original version and Birmingham itself to scale to different players taking cards out of the deck and limiting the cities and industries you'll get from them. However, I would love to see their take in a 2 player exclusive version and see what adjustments they make to the formula! May I ask where did you get these rumours from? So I don't overhype for nothing lol

It's a fighting game. No idea how well it plays though. Exceed is L99's fighting game system that usually does sets around various licenses, there was a Street Fighter season at one point for example. But "fighting game as a card game" is sort of their bread & butter with BattleCON (their in-house fantasy universe) and they have the Sakura Arms license currently (which I still have yet to try).

Didn't know them! I will definitely check their catalog and watch some how to plays to see if they are my alley!

Despite being a nerd basically my whole life and often having friends who were also nerds, I could never seem to drum up any interest in a board game or D&D. And now I don’t really know anybody in life who plays games at all. It’s a real bummer!

I have a question people in this thread are probably qualified to answer: what are your favourite board/card games for two players? (Just as an aside, are there…one player card or board games?!) My wife and I both enjoy the experience in theory, but the games we’ve tried that claim to support two players just come off a bit…dull, since they’re often really intended for four or more. And since our first couple of attempts didn’t go that great years ago, I’m totally in the dark about the industry at this point and have been for ages.

I don’t have that many examples for reference as a result, but Forbidden Island sticks out as a successful attempt. We liked the theme/aesthetic, it felt fairly mixed up each time we played and you are easily able to adjust the difficulty, which is nice!

Again, I haven’t kept up with this whatsoever and have no idea what’s out there, really. Outside all-timers like Monopoly and a few popular boards like Forbidden Island, I’m lost. Any suggestions welcome 👂

(And I will look into that 2P Shovel Knight card game, sounds neat)

I don't generally like board games. If there's a decent game I prefer a video game adaptation of it, so there's no dicking around with setup of cards or tokens or map pieces or whatever (that also might end up lost), and when some situation comes up that might seem ambiguous to people looking at a rule booklet there's an impartial if-then making the intended call each time. The ability to play solo is another advantage of adaptations--I've filled a fair bit of empty time with some solo computerized Monopoly or Catan.

Despite being a nerd basically my whole life and often having friends who were also nerds, I could never seem to drum up any interest in a board game or D&D. And now I don’t really know anybody in life who plays games at all. It’s a real bummer!

I have a question people in this thread are probably qualified to answer: what are your favourite board/card games for two players? (Just as an aside, are there…one player card or board games?!) My wife and I both enjoy the experience in theory, but the games we’ve tried that claim to support two players just come off a bit…dull, since they’re often really intended for four or more. And since our first couple of attempts didn’t go that great years ago, I’m totally in the dark about the industry at this point and have been for ages.

I don’t have that many examples for reference as a result, but Forbidden Island sticks out as a successful attempt. We liked the theme/aesthetic, it felt fairly mixed up each time we played and you are easily able to adjust the difficulty, which is nice!

Again, I haven’t kept up with this whatsoever and have no idea what’s out there, really. Outside all-timers like Monopoly and a few popular boards like Forbidden Island, I’m lost. Any suggestions welcome 👂

Yeah, I will stand by my recommendation from this same page to go and try something like 7 Wonders Duel (the two player only version of the classic 7 Wonders, which I'd say it's better than the original). It is pretty accesible, with easy to understand rules, relatively cheap (25€ here in Europe) and has enough depth for you wanting to play "just one more game". Each game goes pretty fast also, so you'll always want to take it out of the shelve.

Yeah, they're fun. I tend to prefer lighter, more socially-based ones than rules-heavy ones though.

Oh, I got Azul but I din't try it yet since it's a Christmas present. Nice to read more positive things about it!

I got interested in Jaws of the Lion but at the end I didn't bought it because I think my partner won't like it that much. Maybe if I get it at a discount I will bite since I am interested in it.

If you are into light party games one of my favourites is Bohnanza. It's about trading bean cards with other players, you are constantly negotiating with other players to exchange bean types, plant them in one of your three fields and then sell them. The unique element to it is that you can't change the cards order in your hand, which sometimes makes the better play trying to convince someone to accept one of your cards for free, as stupid as it may sound. I would recommend the 25th anniversary edition since it includes some new cards that make the game scale from 2 players up to 7 (original version is from 3 to 5).

For sure, after learning all what's different about Lancashire and Birmingham, I am sure I will highly enjoy both of them.

Rumors of a 2 player Brass game? That really surprises me knowing how they adapted the original version and Birmingham itself to scale to different players taking cards out of the deck and limiting the cities and industries you'll get from them. However, I would love to see their take in a 2 player exclusive version and see what adjustments they make to the formula! May I ask where did you get these rumours from? So I don't overhype for nothing lol

Didn't know them! I will definitely check their catalog and watch some how to plays to see if they are my alley!
It was someone on reddit, but to be honest I could not find it again, so... sorry but don't get your hopes up :(. If it helps it seems Dávid Turczi (Anachrony designer) made a fan version.

I'll be another vote for 7 Wonders Duel, really light, easy to learn and quick to play.
Azul and Splendor are not just two player games, but runs great in two person, also quick, simple to learn and to find yourselves in the "just one more" loop.
The Forbidden Island designer has also created the famous Pandemic boardgame series, if you want to try something with more moving parts, but still happens to be coop and have that dread feeling of what will come next.
There's also a great two player game but it is from a Brazilian designer, so I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to find, called Camisa 12. It takes place in a football match, but the players control the supporters, it is really fun, integrates the theme well and the matches are quick enough.

Yes! There a 1P games out there, often you find a co-op game (ie. players vs. deck/board) and just pilot the minimum number of seats on your own if the game doesn't have a minimum count of 1.

My non-exhaustive list of games I've enjoyed with 2 players:
  • Cribbage - The classic 2P card game you probably already have everything you need for. Strategic and random and plays quick.
  • 7 Wonders Duel (as @linkwashere already recommends) - works 1000% better than the OG version's shared player
  • Sentinels of the Multiverse - Co-op super hero card game, basically think of it as a MMO raid boss simulator, minimum hero count is 3 so you'll need to have someone pilot an extra character or you both double up for 4 characters in total
  • Spirit Island - Territory defense game by the SotM publisher. Drive the invading colonists from the island using incarnations of the local native's gods. Scales down nicely to 1-2 P but it is a brain burner of a game.
  • Patchwork / Cottage Garden - tile placement game, Patchwork is designed only for 2P but Cottage Garden scales down nicely to 2
  • Azul - Thirding? the recommendations for this tile laying game. There's like 4 versions of this now but I've only played the original.
  • Sagrada - Tile laying game that's reminiscent of Cottage Garden / Azul but you're rolling colored translucent dice and that'll dictate where on your board you can place them. Plus you have a set of randomized abilities you can use to tweak the dice to make them work better.
  • Fox in the Forest - trick taking game for 2P. I think there's a duet version which is co-op?
  • Codenames Duet - Co-op Codenames for 2P
  • Jump Drive / New Frontiers / Race for the Galaxy - This family of games is designed more for 3-5 players, but the 2P mode adds some complexity and changes the rhythm of the games which makes them work really well. I've ordered them in order of growing complexity.
  • Res Arcana - I think I've only played this with 2P on BGA but it moves very quick and it's all about alchemy. Combination of tableau builder with drafting at the start.
  • Seasons - Another tableau builder with drafting like Res Arcana but a bit more random/casual due to the inclusion of dice which impacts resource acquisition and other things.
  • Dominion / Clank! / Clank! In! Space! / Star Realms / Hero Realms / Quacks of Quidlenburg - Can't go wrong with a deck-builder. These tend to scale down nicely to 2P since they're largely solitaire but the Realms games have more direct player interaction. The Realms games were originally designed for 2P out of the box, and the Hero version has a separate co-op module you can grab (along with the character class packs) if you're interested.
  • Eldritch Horror - Similar to Pandemic in feel but with a Lovecraft twist, and some light RPG and "choose your own adventure" elements baked in. Scales from 1 - 8 players although I think with 2P you do a lot of running around. Also can be a bit of a hard game like Pandemic.
  • Elder Sign - Similar to EH above but a dice game and a smaller map.
  • Arkham Horror LCG - Really fun narrative RPG-lite co-op card game and scales nicely down to 2P (base set allows play with 2P). Only real downside is it can be a serious moneysink if you really get into it. I think Lord of the Rings LCG and Marvel Champions LCG share some mechanics with it so if you prefer those themes that might be a better option.
  • Android; Netrunner - Great thematic cyberpunk hacker vs. coproration game for 2P. High learning curve due to the asymmetric design meaning both players need to learn how their side of the board plays. Get the version from Null Signal Games unless you want to try getting a Revised Core from eBay which might be pricey. NSG did a really good job slowly introducing the mechanics so I think their System Gateway set is the best starting point than the old Core sets from Fantasy Flight.
  • Argent: The Consortium - Wizarding school and political intrigue themed worker placement. The game is really chaotic with more than 2P but with 2P I think it becomes a lot more strategic since there's fewer places to go on the randomized board layout and spells can have a bigger impact. Game does require a bit of upfront learning because there's a lot of moving parts but it's worth it. The Spirit Island designer also wrote up an unoffiicial 1P variant for this I have yet to try.
  • Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries - TTR is good but the map is too big for 2P. Nordic Countries is designed for 2-3 players and the map is a lot tighter as a result. Plus it's snow themed!

Last edited:
Azul is great! I'm trash at it these days. The BoardGameArena adaptation is good too.
I’m a fan of the spin-offs/variants, like Summer Pavilion.

Switching gears, has anyone played Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective? Less a board game and more a live action text adventure, but pretty damn good.

Switching gears, has anyone played Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective? Less a board game and more a live action text adventure, but pretty damn good.
Did it with a group of 8 I think once, wouldn't recommend it with that many people but I've heard it's really good for 2P

Did it with a group of 8 I think once, wouldn't recommend it with that many people but I've heard it's really good for 2P
It’s great with two or three people. Just enough to be able to bounce ideas off one another and spark epiphanies, but not so much that it turns into a snarl of theorizing.

Yes, i like boardgames very much.

My most played ones are risiko, carcassonne, dominion, torres, dixit, catan, thurn & taxis, alhambra, kingdom builder, scrabble...

Sadly, in this phase of my live, i have no people to play bigger and longer games with...

At least I beat some Exit- Puzzles with my wife this year. And i can play UNO ( Mario Edition) and Yatzee with my kids now. Guess that's something...

I’m a fan of the spin-offs/variants, like Summer Pavilion.

Tried once, but for the first time the language was a barrier, like a Great Wall, we were hurting our heads making sense of everything and did not even come close to solve the first one correctly. Couple of years later the Brazilian version was announced, but I've never tried it.

Tried once, but for the first time the language was a barrier, like a Great Wall, we were hurting our heads making sense of everything and did not even come close to solve the first one correctly. Couple of years later the Brazilian version was announced, but I've never tried it.
Yeah, it is very much written in the style of Doyle, so I can understand it being a tough read.

Yes! There a 1P games out there, often you find a co-op game (ie. players vs. deck/board) and just pilot the minimum number of seats on your own if the game doesn't have a minimum count of 1.

My non-exhaustive list of games I've enjoyed with 2 players:
  • Cribbage - The classic 2P card game you probably already have everything you need for. Strategic and random and plays quick.
  • 7 Wonders Duel (as @linkwashere already recommends) - works 1000% better than the OG version's shared player
  • Sentinels of the Multiverse - Co-op super hero card game, basically think of it as a MMO raid boss simulator, minimum hero count is 3 so you'll need to have someone pilot an extra character or you both double up for 4 characters in total
  • Spirit Island - Territory defense game by the SotM publisher. Drive the invading colonists from the island using incarnations of the local native's gods. Scales down nicely to 1-2 P but it is a brain burner of a game.
  • Patchwork / Cottage Garden - tile placement game, Patchwork is designed only for 2P but Cottage Garden scales down nicely to 2
  • Azul - Thirding? the recommendations for this tile laying game. There's like 4 versions of this now but I've only played the original.
  • Sagrada - Tile laying game that's reminiscent of Cottage Garden / Azul but you're rolling colored translucent dice and that'll dictate where on your board you can place them. Plus you have a set of randomized abilities you can use to tweak the dice to make them work better.
  • Fox in the Forest - trick taking game for 2P. I think there's a duet version which is co-op?
  • Codenames Duet - Co-op Codenames for 2P
  • Jump Drive / New Frontiers / Race for the Galaxy - This family of games is designed more for 3-5 players, but the 2P mode adds some complexity and changes the rhythm of the games which makes them work really well. I've ordered them in order of growing complexity.
  • Res Arcana - I think I've only played this with 2P on BGA but it moves very quick and it's all about alchemy. Combination of tableau builder with drafting at the start.
  • Seasons - Another tableau builder with drafting like Res Arcana but a bit more random/casual due to the inclusion of dice which impacts resource acquisition and other things.
  • Dominion / Clank! / Clank! In! Space! / Star Realms / Hero Realms / Quacks of Quidlenburg - Can't go wrong with a deck-builder. These tend to scale down nicely to 2P since they're largely solitaire but the Realms games have more direct player interaction. The Realms games were originally designed for 2P out of the box, and the Hero version has a separate co-op module you can grab (along with the character class packs) if you're interested.
  • Eldritch Horror - Similar to Pandemic in feel but with a Lovecraft twist, and some light RPG and "choose your own adventure" elements baked in. Scales from 1 - 8 players although I think with 2P you do a lot of running around. Also can be a bit of a hard game like Pandemic.
  • Elder Sign - Similar to EH above but a dice game and a smaller map.
  • Arkham Horror LCG - Really fun narrative RPG-lite co-op card game and scales nicely down to 2P (base set allows play with 2P). Only real downside is it can be a serious moneysink if you really get into it. I think Lord of the Rings LCG and Marvel Champions LCG share some mechanics with it so if you prefer those themes that might be a better option.
  • Android; Netrunner - Great thematic cyberpunk hacker vs. coproration game for 2P. High learning curve due to the asymmetric design meaning both players need to learn how their side of the board plays. Get the version from Null Signal Games unless you want to try getting a Revised Core from eBay which might be pricey. NSG did a really good job slowly introducing the mechanics so I think their System Gateway set is the best starting point than the old Core sets from Fantasy Flight.
  • Argent: The Consortium - Wizarding school and political intrigue themed worker placement. The game is really chaotic with more than 2P but with 2P I think it becomes a lot more strategic since there's fewer places to go on the randomized board layout and spells can have a bigger impact. Game does require a bit of upfront learning because there's a lot of moving parts but it's worth it. The Spirit Island designer also wrote up an unoffiicial 1P variant for this I have yet to try.
  • Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries - TTR is good but the map is too big for 2P. Nordic Countries is designed for 2-3 players and the map is a lot tighter as a result. Plus it's snow themed!
Excuse the late reply but wow! Thank you for the thorough, thoughtful reply. I’m going to go through these and try to pick one up before the holiday break. Will report back!

Ok, so i decided to try and make monthly reports of my board gaming here.
I'll always put the stats that I have on the app Ludohall. This first one will comprise of both January and February.

The bigger the ball, the more matches played

January:
Marvel Splendor: Was a hit with my cousins, put it on the table for a match and we ended playing three back to back.
Azul and High Society: Both played with my brother and parents, it was fun but all we could play in a whole week, my nephew is a baby so moments we could dedicate to playing were really rare.
Calico and 7 Wonders Duel: Both with my girlfriend, she loves Calico. Don't think she cared enough for 7W Duel, either she just didn't liked it or I couldn't explain well enough, either way it will take a while before this game is played again :(.
Frebruary:
Fog of Love: Played with the gf, she freaking loved it. I was even trying to find the expansions, but it's kind of hard here in Brazil.
Ra, 6 Nimmt and Bang Dice: Played at the local livrary, it was a blast, had so much fun and met new people to try to set game days. The 6 Nimmt match was really fun, one player made enough points to lose the game in a single round (and it wasn't me!).
Mixtapes: Played on a random Tuesday at my gf, wanted to try it, it's a Brazilian game, well made, great art, but components are shitty. We both enjoyed, but seems to suffer at only two players.
Kingdomino Origins, Cartógrafos, Citadels, Welcome To and Exploding Kittens: Game day at someone's place, it was set because of the game day at the library, we played for hours straight, it was really fun.

For this month, tomorrow is the game day at the library, I'll also try to set up another one this month.
I'm in the proccess to rebox at least Marvel Splendor (the box is so unnecessarily big) and Mixtapes (the box is unnecessarily shitty), I'll probably post the results in this month's report. Also I won a mistery bag in a raffle, have no idea what will come on it, but I'm anxious hoping for some good stuff.

(Yes some games were played in a bed, do not judge me for it)

Nice to see this thread up again.

Does anyone use Table Top Simulator by a chance? It could be cool to enjoy some board games through there between the famiboards community.

Nice to see this thread up again.

Does anyone use Table Top Simulator by a chance? It could be cool to enjoy some board games through there between the famiboards community.
I have it, but my computer can barely play anything.
But I have a premium BoardGame Arena that I share with some friends. Since it's all on browser it's easier, also all games are automated. In BGA you only need a premium account to create matches, but free accounts can play any game initiated by other players

I have it, but my computer can barely play anything.
But I have a premium BoardGame Arena that I share with some friends. Since it's all on browser it's easier, also all games are automated. In BGA you only need a premium account to create matches, but free accounts can play any game initiated by other players

Oh, that's cool. I use TTS a lot alongside Discord because you know, free community made games. I didn't try BGA because some of my favourite games sadly are not there, but I would love to.

I’ve not had good luck with TTS especially with people who aren’t familiar with navigating 3D spaces with KBAM. BGA works way better due to the 2D nature plus the automations.

I’ve not had good luck with TTS especially with people who aren’t familiar with navigating 3D spaces with KBAM. BGA works way better due to the 2D nature plus the automations.

Yeah, that I fully agree. The natural simulation aspect of it with a 3D space is not ideal. But I use it for playing mainly Brass which is not available in BGA so it is what it is.

Yeah, that I fully agree. The natural simulation aspect of it with a 3D space is not ideal. But I use it for playing mainly Brass which is not available in BGA so it is what it is.
Oh god my computer would melt trying to run a well automated version of brass on TTS hahaha.
But I've got to say, I miss playing brass and most heavier games. It's been quite few months since the last time I've played one.

talisman.jpg

We've discovered Talisman recently and it has been a huge hit among us all (we're usually a group of 5)
It's basically a goose game, but in a fantasy setting. You play a character with unique abilities, and your goal is to become stronger through quests and fights against monsters in order to survive in the very deadly later areas, in the center of the board.
While luck is a huge factor in the game (throwing dices is the main mechanic) which might put you off, there is a HUGE emphasis on role playing... Basically, it's a perfect game for playing an ambiant, role playing, fantasy experience, but more casual !

Even the dogs absolutely loved it !
Though beware, it's fucking long. We never succeeded to finish a game yet, since it needs about more than 3 hours for a game with 5 people.

Snapchat-1720110893.jpg

Marvel Splendor: Was a hit with my cousins, put it on the table for a match and we ended playing three back to back.
You make want to buy it... We had it at the school I teached at last year and the kids loved it. Never really played it with them but I watched them play one or two times, seemed very simple but cool none the less. Just kind of in the mood for a good looking and fun Marvel board games. Especially now that I have become a huge Marvel Snap fan. Wish they would make a real physical TCG version of it.

You make want to buy it... We had it at the school I teached at last year and the kids loved it. Never really played it with them but I watched them play one or two times, seemed very simple but cool none the less. Just kind of in the mood for a good looking and fun Marvel board games. Especially now that I have become a huge Marvel Snap fan. Wish they would make a real physical TCG version of it.
We played it right when I was playing a lot os Marvel Snap, it made some really awkward situations where I did not want to buy a card because some form of my mind was mixing their powers in Snap and in Splendor (which is absolutely none). It is a really fun and simple game, the theme is kind of pasted on so it's not a turn off for people that don't care about Marvel. There are minor differences compared to the original Splendor and some things I think are for the better.

I love board games but haven’t been able to play in a very long-time. The group I did play with doesn’t play very often and getting time to actually go over to their houses to sit down and play has a tough ask for the past several years just due to life circumstances. I do miss it though and would love to play again!

I play Pokémon TCG with my kids and nephews on occasion
And the FF card game too

I sometimes play board games if others invite me to but most times I just think “man wouldn’t it be great if all these resources were just handled by the computer”

I have that Harry Potter game it’s pretty good

If I’m allowed a shameless plug for a game I co developed if anyone is interested in chess (or even if not) … called Devil’s Chess it’s chess with cards that modify the rules.
game.JPG

Last edited:
My copy of Frosthaven arrived this week. It is enormous.
I’m so jealous. We’re still waiting on our copy, we’re apparently in like the last 1% of orders to be fulfilled 😫😭

We played through Forgotten Waters and all the Oltree scenarios in the meantime but now we don’t know what to play on our legacy game night if we don’t get Frosthaven next week.

What class are you going to be first? I’m going to be the Banner Spear, they’re the class I played at Gen Con last year and I really dug their sort of position-based combat style.

Very much so.
Currently playing this MASSIVE game called Aeon Trespass: Odyssey.
We play with my kids as well.
Tabletop RPG's, Board Games, Video Games, Yard games, Card Games, Solitaire games, Party games. Give me all.

I’m so jealous. We’re still waiting on our copy, we’re apparently in like the last 1% of orders to be fulfilled 😫😭

We played through Forgotten Waters and all the Oltree scenarios in the meantime but now we don’t know what to play on our legacy game night if we don’t get Frosthaven next week.

What class are you going to be first? I’m going to be the Banner Spear, they’re the class I played at Gen Con last year and I really dug their sort of position-based combat style.
My Gloomhaven group basically dissolved during the pandemic, so now I am in the position of grabbing the one friend who’s still interested and trying to get through the rest of that game together before cracking Frosthaven. 😅

Has your group done all three Pandemic Legacy seasons? Charterstone? We also really loved Betrayal Legacy, but it appears to be out of print.

A game I've been really liking is called Villainous. Basically a Disney Villain themed board game where your goal is meant to roughly line up with the goals of the villains in the movies.

Each villain is kind of a self contained game with their own mini-board and cards that dictate their moves. You only can influence other players by using these "fate" cards which are represented by the heroes of their respective movies getting in their way.

I really like how true they try to stay to that theme, but it does cause some serious balancing issues. Captain Hook is nuts how easy he has it.

A game I've been really liking is called Villainous. Basically a Disney Villain themed board game where your goal is meant to roughly line up with the goals of the villains in the movies.

Each villain is kind of a self contained game with their own mini-board and cards that dictate their moves. You only can influence other players by using these "fate" cards which are represented by the heroes of their respective movies getting in their way.

I really like how true they try to stay to that theme, but it does cause some serious balancing issues. Captain Hook is nuts how easy he has it.
Villainous is really fun even if it is massively unbalanced in some games.
I really like Prince John but my favourite is Ratigan and how even when you lose the robot queen you still usually have a chance to win.
Pete is also fun to play yourself.

Villainous is really fun even if it is massively unbalanced in some games.
I really like Prince John but my favourite is Ratigan and how even when you lose the robot queen you still usually have a chance to win.
Pete is also fun to play yourself.
Ursula is my favorite despite how difficult she is to manage. Nevermind that Little Mermaid is one of my favorite movies, I just love her more convoluted ways of getting rid of heroes. This makes her easily one of the worst characters though.

The best villains are the ones whose objectives are to defeat heroes because the other players can't fate them as much or risk them getting closer to their goals. Or then they build up more of their resources.

Has your group done all three Pandemic Legacy seasons? Charterstone? We also really loved Betrayal Legacy, but it appears to be out of print.
Thanks for the recommendations! Some of us have done Pandemic Legacy and some of us haven’t; we didn’t do it all together. As far as Charterstone, it sounds great (love Stonemeier!) but we seem to gravitate toward cooperative games for our legacy games.

Thanks for the recommendations! Some of us have done Pandemic Legacy and some of us haven’t; we didn’t do it all together. As far as Charterstone, it sounds great (love Stonemeier!) but we seem to gravitate toward cooperative games for our legacy games.
Each of the Pandemic Legacy games is worthwhile in its own way (though my group is still early on in Season 0). I recommend them if there’s any of the three that no one in your group has played!

I've never had a fixed group with a dedication to try legacy games, but the ones I'd like to try the most are My City and The King's Dilemma

Met friends for games last night. Ended up being a night of lighter stuff which was fine. Played Shipwreck Arcana, Bohnanza, and 6 Nimt. Good times.

I've never had a fixed group with a dedication to try legacy games, but the ones I'd like to try the most are My City and The King's Dilemma
Oath might be a good option if you can't get a fixed group together on a regular basis. IIRC, there's less persistence of each player and more the world state, so it's sorta-legacy-ish but without the need to commit to a fixed range of games for the narrative and mechanics to unfold.

Met friends for games last night. Ended up being a night of lighter stuff which was fine. Played Shipwreck Arcana, Bohnanza, and 6 Nimt. Good times.

Oath might be a good option if you can't get a fixed group together on a regular basis. IIRC, there's less persistence of each player and more the world state, so it's sorta-legacy-ish but without the need to commit to a fixed range of games for the narrative and mechanics to unfold.
Never played shipwreck arcana, but Bohnanza and 6 nimmt are so good :). Too bad in Brazil the Bohnanza for 7 isn't available, we played yesterday with 5, it's still good, but I love the mess and chaos of the game with 7 players.

The problem with Oath and the legacy games is they are really expansive, so a fixed group can solve that by sharing the price between the players. Oath costs 120us$ in Brazil right now.

March roundup
Played 13 matches, 9 different games

There was an extra date at the library so we had two game days there, besides I played Calico with the gf a couple more times.
In the extra date in the library there was a Welcome To tourney. It was really fun, many people learning the game at once can be a little confusing, but I felt most people got it and was a tight match.
There were lots of new faces at this extra date, I hope the organizer can show the importance of more time for the project and we get more Saturdays per month.
There was a moment that I taught a mother and son to play Patchwork, and her biggest gripe with the rules was having power of decision. I told her she could choose one of the three pieces in front of the peon and she asked "but there's no dice right? So I just say a random number?"in the end she did not want me to help during the game so I left and I feel that she played wrong in the end, but I hope they had fun with it, since it's the most important part.
My mystery bag will arrive tomorrow, so I'll probably update here with what I got. This month the library game day will be in the 29th and I'll be visiting my brother as well, hope we can play something there.

My wife, daughter and I play Catan most weekends, which has pretty much turned out to be the perfect middle ground of the games we all like to play.

I love Board games, mostly play what people call "gateway" games because I play with my family a lot. Biggest hits lately are Azul, Splendor, and Catan, but I'd like to bring Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne back to the table. I have a few more complicated games like Agricola and Ahoy but I haven't found people to play them with yet.

My wife, daughter and I play Catan most weekends, which has pretty much turned out to be the perfect middle ground of the games we all like to play.

Have you tried any of the expansions with your family yet? I have Cities and Knights but feel it might be too complicated for my parents, not sure yet since I haven't dug into it too much myself.

Also, if anyone wants to play stuff on Board Game Arena let me know!

I love Board games, mostly play what people call "gateway" games because I play with my family a lot. Biggest hits lately are Azul, Splendor, and Catan, but I'd like to bring Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne back to the table. I have a few more complicated games like Agricola and Ahoy but I haven't found people to play them with yet.

Have you tried any of the expansions with your family yet? I have Cities and Knights but feel it might be too complicated for my parents, not sure yet since I haven't dug into it too much myself.

Also, if anyone wants to play stuff on Board Game Arena let me know!
We haven’t bought the expansions yet- still at the point of explaining to our daughter why she can’t start with all the best resource spots all the time :D

Back
Top Bottom