• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Did Tears of the Kingdom justify its $70 pricing for you?

Did Tears of the Kingdom justify its $70 pricing?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with judging a game on the merits of it's content to try and "justify it's price," but I'd argue no. It's not a bad a game or anything but it doesn't feel any more grand than BOTW, at least outside of the cutscene quality.

gettyimages-1000036111.jpg
I'm glad to finally see the follow up here.
By overwhelming majority consensus, Tears of the Kingdom is a phenomenal game well worth its $70 asking price. No doubt about that!

But from a shitposting perspective (which is important to consider!), I fear the 70 bones meme may be too good to move away from. I do wonder what the next game to be launched at this prestige price point will be, 'cuz it'd surely have to be one of Nintendo's bigger releases. If it ends up being Metroid Prime 4, I'm sending 70 prayers to all who thought it might crack 5 mil (I even saw someone on here put forth the bold prediction of 10 mil).

I've managed to dodge paying $70 for a game so far, since PlayStation multiplats are (thankfully) still $60, and in the case of PS5 titles that launched at $70, I didn't pay that for 'em (Demon's Souls I downloaded off my friend's account, Returnal I bought on sale, The Last of Us Part I was a gift from a buddy). I'm not completely opposed to paying $70 for a game, but it's gotta be something I'm extremely excited for, that I know will be worth it. Spider-Man 2 meets that criteria, so that'll likely end up being my first $70 buy.

This game is killing me.
The past week I been sitting down at night intending to play maybe "an hour or two", BAM there goes 5 hrs and I'm not getting enough sleep for work 🤦‍♂️

There are so many "just one more little thing" activities to do EVERYWHERE, I haven't even headed to the first main quest objective (planning on going to Hebra) despite that being my intention each of the last four days.

Way too addicting, I think I have a problem.

On pricing, for this game, there is no question I am going to get 100+ hours AND I got it both digitally and physical collector's edition.

For pricing in general, it is what it is. I think Switch 2 games are all gonna go this route. At least for now I am able to get discounted eshop cards from CostCo and then combine that with the vouchers for a solid discount.

to be clear upfront i absolutely adore what ive played of tears of the kingdom, i think its one of the best video games ive ever played.

but i think its really stupid to try and justify nintendo charging ten extra burgers for it. they didnt need to do that whether any of us think its 'worth it' or not. they sold 10 million of these things in three fuckin days. get a grip and stop trying to justify arbitrary price hikes that benefit no one but the shareholders.

More than.

I think Dead Space Remake is worth $70 USD.

I've already accepted that game prices are up, and honestly, it's crazy it took this long. We've been spoiled.

I’m usually shelling out for the base game + season pass, whatever that ends up costing for games, so I’m not really allowed to complain about $70 games. That said, this game has a lot more content and polish than some games I’ve spent $100+ on.

to be clear upfront i absolutely adore what ive played of tears of the kingdom, i think its one of the best video games ive ever played.

but i think its really stupid to try and justify nintendo charging ten extra burgers for it. they didnt need to do that whether any of us think its 'worth it' or not. they sold 10 million of these things in three fuckin days. get a grip and stop trying to justify arbitrary price hikes that benefit no one but the shareholders.
I know it’s not a popular sentiment on the internet, but it’s possible for someone to think a game is worth a certain amount of money to them without being a corporate shill or whatever. I’m really sick of people with opinions other than “I don’t want it, greedy shareholders, etc” getting labeled as bootlickers and told they are being “stupid.”

Like I get y’all wanna fight the good fight to keep prices down, and that’s fair. Just don’t disparage others for not doing that.

I was a doubter, it's easily worth $70 (although I paid $58 for it lol). The mechanics alone are more creative than a lot of these AAA $70 games.

I know it’s not a popular sentiment on the internet, but it’s possible for someone to think a game is worth a certain amount of money to them without being a corporate shill or whatever. I’m really sick of people with opinions other than “I don’t want it, greedy shareholders, etc” getting labeled as bootlickers and told they are being “stupid.”

Like I get y’all wanna fight the good fight to keep prices down, and that’s fair. Just don’t disparage others for not doing that.

see whats funny is that i had no real intention of accusing anyone of being a 'bootlicker' or whatever, i was just pointing out that there really is no reason to try and justify nintendo hiking the price of the game, even if you think its really good. absolutely zero reason to defend the decision to do so.

as a general life tip for you, if youre ever wondering why someone might call you a 'shill' or a 'bootlicker' its because you seem to think that people who are neutral to/in favor of higher game prices arent worthy of being clowned on for their stupidity.

as a general life tip for you, if youre ever wondering why someone might call you a 'shill' or a 'bootlicker' its because you seem to think that people who are neutral to/in favor of higher game prices arent worthy of being clowned on for their stupidity.
Nobody is saying they are in favor of a price increase, this thread is just asking whether TotK is worth $70 to you. If your answer is “yes,” that doesn’t justify others clowning on you for “your stupidity.”

Nobody is saying they are in favor of a price increase, this thread is just asking whether TotK is worth $70 to you. If your answer is “yes,” that doesn’t justify others clowning on you for “your stupidity.”

EXTREMELY LOUD INCORRECT BUZZER NOISE

I'm going to buy it down the line (money is super tight for me right now on the account of personal stuff), but I'm gonna be blunt: No. And I'll say that for every game that is $70.

Over here in Euro land, I paid less for Tears of the Kingdom than Breath of the Wild cost six years ago. Same retailers, too.
Yeah, these price discussions are too US-centric. lol

Between vouchers and retailers setting their own prices, neither the physical nor the digital version costs 70€ here in Europe.

Very few games have validated their cost in the way that this game has for me. I’m constantly impressed and also overwhelmed at just how much there is that I want to do, and the quality of it all.

So yes, $70* was justified for me.

*I bought the special edition so it was well over $70. I also bought vouchers for the digital version so both my wife and I could play at the same time. After all that, still no buyers remorse.

The bar here is so high however that it really means nothing in the broader $70 conversation. Nothing Nintendo’s made really holds a candle to this game.

Last edited:
Not in any way, shape, or form. No. I can't imagine any game justifying such an outrageous price tag, let alone the direct sequel to a game that came out on the exact same console years earlier for $60. I feel like this thread, and the wider acceptance of the AAA price hike this gen, just rationalizes price gouging. TotK seems fine - Better than BotW at least, but there's just no actual reason for it to be so expensive other than Nintendo knowing they can get away with it.

Frankly, $60 for AAA games was already expensive, so it's really strange to see people happy to explain why it's ok for games to be even more pricey.

I'm glad to finally see the follow up here.

But yeah, I don't feel like I "didn't pay enough" or anything like that. This is a corporation selling a product, not a friend you're commissioning artwork from. I'm happy I got such an incredible game for "only" 50 dollars. I'm dreading when 70 dollars is the default price for games.

I agree with you. I'm surprised they haven't announced any DLC like they did for BOTW pre-release. Maybe the next Direct will have it shown.

Also I think I enjoy shitposting about the $70 more than sending Koroks into the depths of hell in TOTK.

maxresdefault.jpg

By overwhelming majority consensus, Tears of the Kingdom is a phenomenal game well worth its $70 asking price. No doubt about that!

But from a shitposting perspective (which is important to consider!), I fear the 70 bones meme may be too good to move away from. I do wonder what the next game to be launched at this prestige price point will be, 'cuz it'd surely have to be one of Nintendo's bigger releases. If it ends up being Metroid Prime 4, I'm sending 70 prayers to all who thought it might crack 5 mil (I even saw someone on here put forth the bold prediction of 10 mil).

I've managed to dodge paying $70 for a game so far, since PlayStation multiplats are (thankfully) still $60, and in the case of PS5 titles that launched at $70, I didn't pay that for 'em (Demon's Souls I downloaded off my friend's account, Returnal I bought on sale, The Last of Us Part I was a gift from a buddy). I'm not completely opposed to paying $70 for a game, but it's gotta be something I'm extremely excited for, that I know will be worth it. Spider-Man 2 meets that criteria, so that'll likely end up being my first $70 buy.

On Nintendo's side the variable pricing would be better since I think they charge too much for many games and too low for some (Metroid Prime Remastered) in terms of my personal value. Those Mario Sports games being $60 will never not be funny but they sell. A title like Xenoblade more than justifies any price increase for me. If they charge $70 for Mario Baseball or whatever, it won't even be worth using a Danny Devito image.

Sony: Demons Souls and Returnal have been absolutely worth it. Similar to Xenoblade where they delivered beyond anything I wanted so I'm ok with the price I paid. Ratchet, $10 extra for some cross gen stuff, not worth it.

Microsoft: Only Redfall and well...

23DANNYDEVITO4-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Third party: Rarely worth it but EA Dead Space Remake and Wild Hearts were worth it for me. 2K is now charging $70 for the LEGO racing game. My reaction is the same as Redfall.

Nope. I used the vouchers, and if I spent $70 I wouldn't have regretted it, but I'd be a clown for buying it.

I haven't played since I finished the first shrine so I'm going with no for now. I'll probably get back to it at some point.

Over here in Euro land, I paid less for Tears of the Kingdom than Breath of the Wild cost six years ago. Same retailers, too.
Same here. Highly anticipated game = retailers fighting to undercut each other on physical copies = customer benefits by shopping around. I paid less than I paid for BOTW. The US seems to view RRP as something set in stone rather than a recommendation though, which is why the announcement of a price increase there is more controversial. In Europe the prices have often tended to increase with the start of a new console’s games range then gradually go down over its lifespan, ToTK is only a few quid more than I was paying for SNES games 30 years ago here, which had an RRP of £50, then slashed to about £40 by retailers.

It just flags up what poor value digital games are here to me, and why I dislike buying bigger titles on the Eshop where the price sticks at £60 apart from maybe a sale where it’ll come down to what retailers were selling it for years down the line. No way would I pay £60 for digital if I can get a physical copy delivered for £45 on launch day.

Last edited:
I managed to get it for 57$ (Norwegian retailer) and I love the game.

But no, no game is worth 70$. Nintendo is just full of greed and can fuck off with that price tag.

Ignoring the fact that i paid more for it ... and kinda double (digital + physical), my opinion on this matter might not be the most objective one.

But i'd say that TotK, and Elden Ring, are the first games where i would definitely say that i'm "okay" with paying that. (Ignoring that official prices for PS5 games are 80€.)

absolutely blows through it, it's worth like the full 300 bucks along with a switch lite honestly. insanely revolutionary game

But. this really needs to not be a standard at all. 60 bucks is already crazy expensive man, we can't inflate this shit

I bought it with a NSO voucher so I didn't pay the full 70€, but I'd still say yes. In terms of content it's going to provide a lot of hours of entertainment and in terms of the QUALITY of those hours it's top tier.

I'd say that if all 70€ games were like this it wouldn't be a big problem...the issue is that TotK is going to be the exception and not the norm.

Saying no in case any important Nintendo people are lurking.
Even if Nintendo was lurking, and even if they saw the poll was 99% "The $70 is not justified", they would not change a thing. With the $70 price point, they literally sold 10 million copies in 3 days and made over $700 million net revenue. The game probably has crossed the threshold for 1 billion dollars already.

Nintendo is laughing their way to the bank right now.

On one side, it did carry over a lot of content and assets from the previous game like we've always been asking so we can have more sequels. So jumping the price to $70 seems a little arbitrary.
On the other side they added a lot of new content and it has far more content then most games you spend money on including DLC.

At the end of the day, I will always be against the $70 price tag and statistics have been showing for a lot of other game companies that that price tag isn't sustainable for most games. Zelda is definitely a special case because it is one of those games that is truly a masterpiece and Nintendo knows people would spend more for Zelda.

But at the end of the day I do blame Activision, EA, Gearbox and so many other companies begging console makers like Xbox and Playstation to raise game prices. And that the people who are really pushing for this price increase are some of the most notorious game companies for providing some of the worst quality and treatment to their games, staff and customers, wanting this increase to help drum up more money to show their shareholders.

I'm sorry but $70 is just not sustainable and I can probably count with my fingers the few games I feel are even close to that price point day 1 in the last year or two. And even then, I fully expect certain games to drop to $40 and or $30 at a drop of a dime once Holidays hit or when after just the first few months of release. (Looking at your Playstation 1st party games and nearly every game from any big developer/publisher ever).

If Nintendo did this price point to any other game franchise they own, the only other franchise I'd pay that price point for is Smash. But I'd still be unhappy with the cost and still be actively looking for discounts before the game's release.

Even if Nintendo was lurking, and even if they saw the poll was 99% "The $70 is not justified", they would not change a thing. With the $70 price point, they literally sold 10 million copies in 3 days and made over $700 million net revenue. The game probably has crossed the threshold for 1 billion dollars already.

Nintendo is laughing their way to the bank right now.
Hmm no I think if they see my post they'll reconsider.

Questions like this are always so interesting to me. I guess I break it down to a cost per hour equation. I took my brother to Guardians of the Galaxy and, after popcorn and drinks, spent about $40 for a couple of hours. BOTW I paid $60 for and got well over a thousand hours of entertainment out of it. I personally couldn't have asked for a better return on my investment than that. Tears of the Kingdom is even bigger and I'm loving it every bit as much as BOTW at this point so I'm fairly confident in assuming this will offer just as much return on my investment. That's just my own personal approach though and I completely understand that some people aren't getting the same enjoyment out of it as I am.

Bought it for cheaper, wouldn't have bought it for $70 because I wasn't in a real rush. Game is incredibly good but it's not really about whether a game can "justify" that price point or not. I'll probably end up clocking a thousand hours on something like SF6 and I wouldn't pay 70 bucks for it.

Still had my Amazon preorder from like 2020 or thereabouts, so...still was able to purchase it for 59.99!

Did Radiant Silvergun justify the $150 I paid for it? Yes

Do I think that the game should actually cost that much to play it? No.

In terms of content and quality? Sure

But fuck this attempt to normalize making games more expensive
This mindset blows my mind. Why are games, a luxury and entertainment item, supposed to be exempt from inflation? Developers are getting paid more than they were 15 years ago when things began $60. Literally everything is more. The minimum wage in my state has more than doubled since then (rightfully so). Games are a luxury and everyone acts like they're a necessity and even an extremely quality game shouldn't be $70. Wild to me.

This mindset blows my mind. Why are games, a luxury and entertainment item, supposed to be exempt from inflation? Developers are getting paid more than they were 15 years ago when things began $60. Literally everything is more. The minimum wage in my state has more than doubled since then (rightfully so). Games are a luxury and everyone acts like they're a necessity and even an extremely quality game shouldn't be $70. Wild to me.
You know what has also gone up? Corporate profits, ceo bonuses, and stock prices thanks to microtransactions, a larger amount of games sold digitally, subscription services, and digital deluxe versions that cost more for early access. You know what hasn't gone up at the same rate? Pay for designers, pay for artist, pay for game testers, pay for voice actors. Instead corporation grind culture works designers/programers into dust, are trying to replace artist with ai, try to do non union va work to save money, and ship half finished games that'll be fixed later.

People like you who cry poverty for corporations ranking in billions can count every grain on sand on the beach, it's a better use of your time then coming into threads like this and crying "waaah inflation".

You know what else is more? Video game company profits

Entertainment is a human need. There is a spectrum between necessity and luxury

Ignoring the fact that i paid more for it ... and kinda double (digital + physical), my opinion on this matter might not be the most objective one.

But i'd say that TotK, and Elden Ring, are the first games where i would definitely say that i'm "okay" with paying that. (Ignoring that official prices for PS5 games are 80€.)
Elden Ring was $60

Some people are poor, and poor people still deserve nice things. Glad I could clear that up for you.

BotW was insanely profitable at $60, and TotK would have been too. Nintendo didn't raise the price because they're feeling a squeeze or so they could reward the people who actually made the game. How can people still fall for this? Publishers don't price gouge you for the benefit of their workers.

Considering exchange rates I’ve always paid way more than USD so I honestly barely looked at TotK’s price and just bought it. So far it seems it’ll be worth it.

In any, I’ve never been a big fan of price discussions since there’s really no benchmark for it. It’s not like we’re paying 60/70 cuz the cost of each copy is around that price, it’s simply a price that stuck.

When you have played 50 hours and you've only seen 15% of the game the answer is yes. Plus here in most(?) of Europe there wasn't any price difference at all. As for me I used my eshop voucher.
Best 50 euros I've ever spent.

I don't think of video games as "worth" specific pricepoints. If I didn't enjoy a game at 70 dollars, I'm not going to suddenly enjoy it at 30. I'm not going to feel bad that a game is 70 instead of 60, either. A game is either worth spending my time on, or not spending my time on.

However, I don't think video games should cost more than 50 bucks in general.

How come? What makes a video game only able to cost 50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom