• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Did Tears of the Kingdom justify its $70 pricing for you?

Did Tears of the Kingdom justify its $70 pricing?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
At a time when even next generation games struggle with justifying their $70 pricing, owing to lack of polish, (perceived) subpar graphics, add-on monetization, and so on, TOTK, a game built using assets of a six year old game originally built for an eleven year old console with an average tech level functionally equivalent to 2005 level tech, was released for $70 on what amounts to a 2016 mid-range Android tablet.

There was a lot of pushback against the pricing, but Nintendo remained insistent that the game was worth the price; in fact, Nintendo of America's Doug Bowser insisted that the game would justify the $70 price once the game was out and people got to play it.

The game has been out for a week, and a lot of people have had the chance to go hands on with a lot of it.

So: do you think it merits the $70 pricing?

I bought it for $70 digitally and the CE for $130, the new Switch for $350, TotK amiibo, and the new pro controller, and I still say YES

Absolutely. I've played perhaps ten percent and in terms of content and quality it already blows most 60$ games out of the water if you ask me.

Well I used a voucher, if I spent 70 dollars on it I wouldn't feel ripped off, but I don't think I can really answer the question adequately, or within a yes/no binary.

I guess that's a yes because it's a fantastic game but if it wasn't a first party Nintendo game I would probably wait for a sale.

Games like TotK are worth way more than $70 to me tbh, considering how many hours of entertainment they provide me.

This game is more "Next Gen" than any $70 game. It has a Breadth of content and mechanics that actually fits the $70 price tag.

No other game has actually justified their $70 price tag for me. Especially since the heavy hitters like Elden Ring, GoW, Horizon, and Resident Evil 4 were $60.

I preordered the game right when Nintendo announced the increase to $70. That night all of the retailers were changing the price so I was rushing to find one that hadn't changed. I got Bestbuy at $60. On principle I do not want to spend $70 on games. I was also waiting for preorder rewards to be public so I can pick the best retailer to preorder from lmao.

If I hadn't gotten it for $60 I wouldn't have minded the $70 price tag. The game I think is worth it. This is a premium game and it should be priced as such.

I'm not a huge fan of the "justifying" a game's pricing, honestly. Just feels kinda reductive, and games aren't priced based on inherent value anyways - they're priced based on what the company feels people would pay and/or get them the most profit.

That being said, yeah if any game is "worth" $70 then Tears of the Kingdom is (though I just used a voucher and discounted Eshop cards so I wasn't really paying $70 to begin with)

Hell yes!

Please don't let Nintendo read this. I live in a third-world country and games are already sufficiently expensive.

I mean obviously I’d rather no games go up in price, but taking into account that’s where the entire industry is headed, Zelda is the last thing I would hesitate forking over $70 for

They could honestly ask for way more than even that and I’d begrudgingly but immediately start saving 😭

I mean obviously I’d rather no games go up in price, but taking into account that’s where the entire industry is headed, Zelda is the last thing I would hesitate forking over $70 for

They could honestly ask for way more than even that and I’d begrudgingly but immediately start saving 😭
Same...this game is going to entertain me for many months. It might be my new GOAT. I hate admitting it, though, and don't want it to become normal if we can avoid it.

I don’t know, I paid quite a bit less. I don’t want to pay that for any game.

Yeah, I got the Collector’s Edition and a digital copy and have no regrets.

yes, but I paid the same price for BotW and it was worth it to.

I dont mind paying a fair price for a great product.

Honestly, I dont think asking famiboards is not a good place to ask.

Having said that, it was all about the ROI, and nothing else. I believe the price increase was due size of the cart, and because the game was worth the amount...

I think Nintendo took this stance as kind of marketing to justify the price.

I'd go as far as to say that it is the only game to actually warrant an increase in price.

In a world where games are priced on a mix of content and prestige, this is one that would fit into whatever the highest tier is

But that's not the world we live in, this will mark a slow shift into almost everything being 70 I feel. Perhaps not the games which are 50 on switch, but even stuff like Mario Party will be 70 in due time, and I find that dissatisfactory.

I didn’t buy Tears of the Kingdom partially because I can’t justify the price increase though I wouldn’t have bought this for $60 either. Given how long I let games collect dust, not being played, there’s no reason for me to buy games on launch day for full price. I put Breath of the Wild down for over a year before picking it back up in July 2018 and finishing it. I still haven’t finished Metroid Dread.

With the inevitable DLC (and potential next gen performance bump), I’ll get to this eventually.

Without getting into the weeds of "Is game worth $x?", I will say that Tears of the Kingdom is one of the most content packed (with little to no filler content) games and well executed works of gameplay that I have ever purchased. I didn't pay $70 for it btw.

I bought $100 of eShop credit for $90, bought vouchers, and then used the vouchers to buy RTDLDX and TotK. Dunno if I'd have gotten it if that wasn't an option, but I am enjoying it

gettyimages-1000036111.jpg

What we can say in general is that the movement of the industry which consists in increasing the development costs and therefore the price of games is a bad thing for consumers.

This kind of question, on the other hand, seems a bit wobbly to me because we could already ask it for 60 dollars. It reminds me of all the people who said Dread wasn’t worth his price either. What are the criteria and who decides their relevance?

I'm glad to finally see the follow up here.

But yeah, I don't feel like I "didn't pay enough" or anything like that. This is a corporation selling a product, not a friend you're commissioning artwork from. I'm happy I got such an incredible game for "only" 50 dollars. I'm dreading when 70 dollars is the default price for games.

I bought it digitally, 3 Collector's Editions, The OLED, 2 Pro Controllers, 2 amiibos, the carrying case. Yes, the answer is yes.

It  easily met my expectations for a $70 game, and so I'm actually trying to think about this backwards. Specifically, what changes would be to be made for me to be disappointed at $70?

I think if the sky islands were the only new territories (i.e., no caves or....the other area), none of the QoL improvements (e.g., the ability to drop an item when you open a chest and your inventory is full), and the Divine Beasts made a comeback, I'd question that pricetag. There'd still be a ton of other changes, but without the list above I think TotK would've felt very similar to BOTW.

As it stands, TotK is in such a class above BOTW for me that I think it's worth far more than $70. It's easily the biggest, most dense and intricate open world game I've ever played.

No, there is no reason for me for videogames to cost more. They're not worth it.

I only got the game because it was €55, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it now.

Yes and No. BOTW would have justified $70 pricing in 2017 as well had that tier existed.
Ultimately, this is Nintendo's way to keeping up with inflation and getting an extra $10 for the guaranteed 20+ units this game will sell.

Their PR spin remains it's case by case and not a permanent price increase, sure, but in terms of their 'case by case', it's clear that when sales are guaranteed, why not price it as high as possible. I've also argued this sets a signal for 3rd parties who want to sell at $70 to be able to do so and not look like Nintendo is undercutting them by having all their games at $60. It establishes a premium non CE tier pricing, and that's an important signal to send out to the market.

So TotK is weird for me. Not even sure this thread is where I should even put this post but here goes. I played TotK for only two days and dropped it and I have had no desire to pick it back up again. In the second day I even stopped playing it despite having more gaming time. It's just not fun for me despite loving Zelda and BOTW a lot. Maybe I'm just burned out of the formula, maybe this Hyrule, or the changes they made from BOTW. Personally? No for me, thankfully I only paid $60 so I saved the extra $10. But I also see how much has been put into the game and the hard work put into the game so they do deserve an increase in pay. I can't remember if it was only Monolith that got an increase or if they all did but all deserved an increase in pay. I really hope the game clicks with me but right now? I just want to play BOTW or OoT again instead.

I don't feel that any game needs to "justify" its price tag

That said, and this is not an indictment on its quality at all considering I'm still very early on, if BotW was $60 I don't see how TotK "justifies" being $70. It's really fucking iterative lol, I'm honestly surprised at how secretive they were about it considering how similar it is in the big picture

Got it with a voucher, but even if I did have to pay extra it’s so full of content that I wouldn’t feel ripped off. I feel like I’m going to be playing it for the rest of the year.

I’m not sure how much I’ve played exactly yet, but I’m closing in on a third of the way done on one of the main tasks/collectibles. There’s stuff this game does better and there’s stuff I enjoyed more in Breath of the Wild. The reused surface world has been kind of a bummer for me and the sky world has been a bit of a letdown with so many reused islands/challenges between them.

Still more to play, but probably not is my answer. Thankfully I locked in at $60.

Not yet but I'm not far into the game. It hasn't clicked with me so far. I'm not a fan of shrines and I don't care about building stuff or making fused weapons. The one thing I did try to build was a failure. I just wanted to make a "car", put my horse on it, and have us go across the field because I thought it would look silly but my horse freaked out whenever I strafed him onto the car. I do like finding caves and jumping down wells, though. The hidden areas are very neat.
I just wish there were good weapons to find or something interesting other than shrines, a chest with opals, or armor that I'm almost certain I already had in BotW. The first reward Kilton's brother gave me was a bokoblin mask I already had in BotW

I used the voucher, but if I had spent 70$ I wouldn't come close to regretting it.

However, I don't think video games should cost more than 50 bucks in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom