• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Danganronpa Decadence |ST| Monokuma's Maleficent Mismanagement

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
jZx6A7S.png

Out December 3rd, 2021
Developed by Spike Chunsoft
Published by Spike Chunsoft / Numskull Games (European Physical Copies)

Contains
  • Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
  • Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
  • Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
  • Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp
5wsvnUP.png

What is Danganronpa Decadence?
Danganronpa Decadence is a collection of the three mainline Danganronpa titles, plus an expanded new title. This is the is the first time they are available on Nintendo Switch, and this collection is exclusive to the console.

Each of the three mainline titles explores a group of gifted students, here called “Ultimates,” as they are trapped within the confines of a school and forced to compete in a killing game. The only way to be freed is to kill another participant and make it through the ensuing class trial without being caught. If the killer avoids being caught, they live and all other participants will be killed. If the culprit is discovered, they are executed at the trial and everyone else lives, but are still trapped in the game.

The killing game is hosted by an evil bear called Monokuma, who is more than willing to add some extra motivation to the players when the bloodlust slows down. As the bodies drop, the truth about the killing game draws nearer…

…to say much more would spoil the fun! The element of surprise and mystery is very important to these titles, and so it is best to go in fresh.

How does it play?
For much of the runtime, Danganronpa is a visual novel. The majority of your time is spent making your way through dialogue and watching the shape and stakes of the story develop. Eventually…someone will die.

Participants discovering a body begins the Class Trial phase. Although the presentation is certainly different, this part of the game is analogous to the Ace Attorney series. You begin by investigating the murder scene and talking to others, which racks up evidence of the crime — “Truth Bullets” — in the menu. You can then match up evidence against statements made in the trial testimony, disproving what’s being said and pushing the trial closer to its conclusion. If you present evidence that doesn’t fit with what’s being said, you are penalized and may eventually fail the trial. Don’t worry, you get to start from the last section you reached if you do!

Eventually more convoluted mechanics enter the trials, some of which obscure the screen or present as little minigames that require reflexes or rhythm. If this doesn’t sound too appealing, fear not: each game has difficulty settings, and setting it to “Gentle” will leave out the more obtrusive and tricky elements.

In the periods between trials you can hang out with the other participants, find and give them gifts, and explore the school grounds available to you at the time. This, like the investigations, are controlled from a first-person perspective.

What about Ultimate Summer Camp? Don’t remember that one.
Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp is a kinda-sorta new title! It is an expanded version of the RPG board game that originally unlocked at the end of V3, the Ultimate Talent Development Program. You move around a board game version of Jabberwock Island, the setting of Danganronpa 2. There is JRPG-style combat and levelling, more friendship mechanics, and a cast that spans all three mainline titles. The original was a neat capper on the Danganronpa trilogy, so I’d imagine this expanded version will be all the better!

What about Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls?
Unfortunately, that one isn’t included in this collection. If you want to play that one it’s on Vita, PS4 or Steam.

Are the games connected or simply part of the same series, like Final Fantasy?
Each Danganronpa game has a new cast and setting, but they are most certainly connected. Playing them in order is the way to go!

Screenshots & Trailer
MasHRka.png

5V5hGbb.png

dFJcSA3.png

GQw5ziW.png

PjhLcQh.png

23pY52I.png

a6xJV11.jpg

dZzqkxF.png

I already a huge backlog, should I buy this and then play it next month at best?

No, but I probably will.

got my copy preordered tho since it hasn’t shipped yet don’t know if it’ll make it this week. Look forward to giving this series a first go!

Any tips as a newcomer? Tho I did just finish off ace attorney trilogy for the first time a few months back so that’s the closest I’ve gotten(hope this has more flexibility in presentation order, that messed with me a lot)

Ok jeez, I forgot this one! Talk about a collection I totally don't need but desperately want haha!

Any tips as a newcomer? Tho I did just finish off ace attorney trilogy for the first time a few months back so that’s the closest I’ve gotten(hope this has more flexibility in presentation order, that messed with me a lot)
Always slow it down when shooting truth bullets. It can be annoying at full speed.

Didn't realise this was out so soon, thought it was next week.
Just ordered now, played 1 and 2 on Vita/PC before but never played 3 so I'm excited. Should be nice to play on my oled switch as well, a throwback to playing 1 and 2 on my oled Vita.

Wish UDG was ported too, I only really like that one and 2, in a very love-hate way.

I own them all on multiple platforms, but I'm still in again on Switch.

I will probably replay 2 and 3 here.

This will be my first time playing Danganronpa, I was waiting for it on the Switch since I can't play visual novels on a TV.

I can already tell I'm either gonna love the game or hate it lol It seems really over the top, and I can appreciate that if it doesn't get too tropey.

I can already tell I'm either gonna love the game or hate it lol It seems really over the top, and I can appreciate that if it doesn't get too tropey.
Depends on what you mean by too tropey.

I own them all on multiple platforms, but I'm still in again on Switch.
Yeee! I own them on PC and may get for Switch.

This will be my first time playing Danganronpa, I was waiting for it on the Switch since I can't play visual novels on a TV.

It's not tropey at all, at times it feels like an HBO show rather than a traditional VN or a light novel. There are no "plot twist just in sake of a twist" things either, everything happens over the course of story is just a stepping stone for the grand finale. Especially in the second game.

Not interested in this as an overall package since the Vita versions are good enough for me and apparently the Switch one doesn't have touch screen support, but I am interested to hear how S is. I haven't skipped a DanganRonpa game yet but I....kinda wish I did for Ultra Despair Girls, and a board game isn't exactly super interesting to me, but I'm open to it.

It's not tropey at all, at times it feels like an HBO show rather than a traditional VN or a light novel. There are no "plot twist just in sake of a twist" things either, everything happens over the course of story is just a stepping stone for the grand finale. Especially in the second game.

... Not tropey at all? Is, is this a joke?

A huge proportion of the casts of each game are just walking tropes.

I've already played all three, but really happy for anyone that gets to play these for the first time with this collection. You're in for an awesome ride

It's the better of the renowned visual novel trilogies imo if you know what I mean 😏

Yeah seriously lol

I have played 1 and 2 in the past and I enjoyed 2 so much. Just patiently waiting for V3 and can't wait to experience it.

Although unfortunately I think I have a good suspicion who the mastermind is due to so many people putting certain characters as their profile picture but thanks to certain comments, the game has insane and over the top twists which I'm looking forward to experience.

Who? Literally none of the characters are the types you'd see in animes.

Some of them are really fresh, like Sakura from the first game and Akane and Gundham from the second. Of course, nothing is 100% trope free (like whole Byakuya and his backstory), but Danganronpa felt more fresh anything similar I played.

My copy just shipped, I can't wait to finally discover this franchise. Glad I waited, cause I was considering getting on mobile.

Got the first game and Ultimate Summer Camp S preloaded. Hyped to actually discover this series after my only exposure to it being ero- I mean uh, fanworks. Yep.

Got Summer Camp preloaded on my Switch and starting it as soon as it unlocks. Will replay the main series after new year.

Yeah, the second game feels a lot like the last season of HBO’s Game of Thrones. ;)

Do we know if the physical version has all games in the cartridge or is there any digital codes?
I got the game and it's all on cartridge but weirdly enough, all games have separate icons on the home screen as opposed to having just 1 icon to access all games.

Anyways, I just started V3 and I have reached the first trial. I'm already hooked but I have to go to work 😔.

I got the game and it's all on cartridge but weirdly enough, all games have separate icons on the home screen as opposed to having just 1 icon to access all games.

Yeah, that's how they usually do it. The Ace Attorney Trilogy and Ori Collection are the same.

Who? Literally none of the characters are the types you'd see in animes.

Some of them are really fresh, like Sakura from the first game and Akane and Gundham from the second. Of course, nothing is 100% trope free (like whole Byakuya and his backstory), but Danganronpa felt more fresh anything similar I played.

Pardon, not like you'd see in animes?
The very characters you listed as "really fresh", are very specific popular tropes. Gundham is a "chuunibyou" character, one so common it has a specific word in Japanese. Sakura is a martial arts loving bulky expert whose family runs a dojo, favourite drink is protein shakes, with a scar across her face, whose primary motivation for pursuing martial arts was
To remember and surpass her dead or otherwise incapacitated love interest, I forget which, who is also named after a massively influential martial arts manga (Kenshiro)
. Akane follows similar tropes to Sakura, but I shouldn't go too much in a thread for people who are likely only just now starting to play the games.

Danganronpa wears it's typical Japanese character tropes on it's sleeve, ( I don't mean that in an insulting way, to be clear).

My copy actually arrived a day early yesterday, but I wanna finish what I'm currently playing first before seeing what this series is all about. Crazy how much cheaper the physical collection is compared to getting all the titles digitially.

A pity they gimped out on the inside cover art - always like games that have a nice spread when you open the case.

AAT is a single icon digitally fyi

yeah, I had a brain fart with that one lol it's just one icon. I was thinking of it because it shows the icon for the English version even if the physical copy is japanese.

But Ori physical has two separate icons anyway

I have never played a VN but the aesthetics of these games have always interested me. Is this a good place to start VN's?
Maybe, but Danganronpa is more than a simple VN. It's more like a detective/courtroom adventure game, more similar to Ace Attorney or Famicom Tantei Club. Danganronpa even allows full control of your character. Just don't expect other traditional VN's like Steins;Gate or Yu-No to be like this.

Akane follows similar tropes to Sakura, but I shouldn't go too much in a thread for people who are likely only just now starting to play the games.
I might not watch enough anime or read enough manga to say for sure, but I'm certain I have never seen someone like Akane. A big energetic girl with monster appetite. Closest thing to her is goddamn Toriko.

Anyways, I just started V3 and I have reached the first trial. I'm already hooked but I have to go to work 😔.
Boo, I hate when publishers do that; If it's a collection it should all be one icon.

Ah well, I like the series too much for that to be a dealbreaker, but it is a disappointment.

Maybe, but Danganronpa is more than a simple VN. It's more like a detective/courtroom adventure game, more similar to Ace Attorney or Famicom Tantei Club. Danganronpa even allows full control of your character. Just don't expect other traditional VN's like Steins;Gate or Yu-No to be like this.

I might not watch enough anime or read enough manga to say for sure, but I'm certain I have never seen someone like Akane. A big energetic girl with monster appetite. Closest thing to her is goddamn Toriko.
A high school girl with the personality of Toriko? Sounds fun!

I have never played a VN but the aesthetics of these games have always interested me. Is this a good place to start VN's?
I think so! The characters are fun and the stories have a sensational, bingeable quality to them. It’s also a little more involved than just reading text which adds a some interest I feel.

Worth noting that the titles can be purchased separately on the eShop too. It would end up costing more to purchase then all separately as opposed to Decadence, but you could test the waters for less upfront.

I think so! The characters are fun and the stories have a sensational, bingeable quality to them. It’s also a little more involved than just reading text which adds a some interest I feel.

Worth noting that the titles can be purchased separately on the eShop too. It would end up costing more to purchase then all separately as opposed to Decadence, but you could test the waters for less upfront.
I was pretty confused by the titles. Is there any order in which I should play them ?

....I didn't save an hour during the trial and the game crashed. God damn it...

Edit: omg, thank God for auto save lmao.

I clearly haven't seen enough anime either, since I've never encountered a character like Gundham before in... anything, I don't think. He's awesome.

Despite Gundham's greatness, though, I generally rate the games 1>V3>2, but I know that's not a very common opinion. There are just certain things about 2 that annoy me, and more especially, a certain character that I can't stand

I'm not a big fan of VNs. I like ace attorney a a lot and I enjoyed the first 999 game, so I'm going to buy Trigger Happy Havoc and give it a shot for a long plane ride I have coming up.

I'm not a big fan of VNs. I like ace attorney a a lot and I enjoyed the first 999 game, so I'm going to buy Trigger Happy Havoc and give it a shot for a long plane ride I have coming up.
If you like Ace Attorney and 999, then you'll PROBABLY like Danganronpa. At least, in my experience, they have enough in common that most people that like those two like DR as well, even if there are exceptions of course.

Back
Top Bottom