• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Creative Endeavors |ST| Flex your art muscles

@Phosphorescent Skeleton worked together on a tiny, free visual novel for a game jam! First time either of us had ever done something like this, but it was a really fun experience!

It's a compilation of two short stories. Phos wrote a creepy short story called Dead Letters, inspired by old pulp magazines. It's about someone in a post office who discovers something he shouldn't.

screenshot0106.png

I ended up writing a silly short story called Vamp Me, about a girl who comes home after a party to find something unexpected.

screenshot0110.png

If you decide to give them a shot, I hope you enjoy them!

Well here's one of my own creative endevours, which is reviewing anime,manga and video games here's one sample i did.

Here's another review i did not too long ago too.

The things you express in the linked blog you posted several times on Fami are not in line with the values we strive to uphold. You have been permanently banned. - PixelKnight, Derachi, Irene, Josh5890, VolcanicDynamo

couple of the resident evil mangas ive reviewed

Doot Doot! One two threeโ€ฆ

IMG_7279.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

Really satisfying build, still have the fourth box(the transforming car and a bunch of weapons, the bonuses for the deluxe version in standard Bandai form. Including his very iconic swords which is annoying if I hadnโ€™t gotten it, as I wanna do the sunset/sunrise shot). Super chunky for a SMP

IMG_7281.jpg

Makes me really glad I gave into that SMPA Exkaiser on sale. Better pics in a week or two XD

So, the whole Unity mess wasn't particularily fun to experience for someone who has been working with Unity for a decade. In fact, I was devastated by it all as I watched it unfold. Despite not being someone who moves enough copies to make it to the threshold, I still feel like the trust is broken, and I'm done with the engine. I just don't want to develop games for it anymore. (So the stuff I've shown off previously in the thread has sort of been canned)

However! I've started making games in GB Studio. It's a game engine for making Game Boy games. It's quite similar to RPG Maker, though it doesn't have the preexisting RPG template - while it does have templates and examples packed into it, it is far more of a blank slate where you have to make games, but with the limitations of a Game Boy. You only have a max amount of resources and has to work within the limitations of the hardware to make your games. For example, there is a music editor that simulates the soundchip of a Game Boy, and in the sprite editor, you only have a 4-colour palette to choose from.

And I'm stoked about it! Currently developing this new game idea I have, a top-down game about six girls who will infiltrate an enemy fortress. It's the perfect blend of intense stealth action and convoluted teen drama.

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163307.png

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163552.png

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163344.png

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163413.png

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163450.png

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163225.png

This is the first time I've ever done pixel-art. It's tricky. And I hope I get better at it soon.
I'm happy that I've got myself going in game dev again after being so let down by the Unity stuff.

(massive shoutout to @paranoodle for introducing me to GB studio!)

Last edited:
So, the whole Unity mess wasn't particularily fun to experience for someone who has been working with Unity for a decade. In fact, I was devastated by it all as I watched it unfold. Despite not being someone who moves enough copies to make it to the threshold, I still feel like the trust is broken, and I'm done with the engine. I just don't want to develop games for it anymore. (So the stuff I've shown off previously in the thread has sort of been canned)

However! I've started making games in GB Studio. It's a game engine for making Game Boy games. It's quite similar to RPG Maker, though it doesn't have the preexisting RPG template - while it does have templates and examples packed into it, it is far more of a blank slate where you have to make games, but with the limitations of a Game Boy. You only have a max amount of resources and has to work within the limitations of the hardware to make your games. For example, there is a music editor that simulates the soundchip of a Game Boy, and in the sprite editor, you only have a 4-colour palette to choose from.

And I'm stoked about it! Currently developing this new game idea I have, a top-down game about six girls who will infiltrate an enemy fortress. It's the perfect blend of intense stealth action and convoluted teen drama.

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163307.png

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163552.png

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163344.png

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163413.png

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163450.png

Screenshot-2023-09-30-163225.png

This is the first time I've ever done pixel-art. It's tricky. And I hope I get better at it soon.
I'm happy that I've got myself going in game dev again after being so let down by the Unity stuff.

(massive shoutout to @paranoodle for introducing me to GB studio!)

Wow, this looks great! I've only tried out GB Studio a little; enough to understand how to set flags with dialogue and transition to different scenes based on it. People say it's simple, but as a novice it seems so complicated! One thing I don't understand; does the sprite editor only let you import sprites made elsewhere, or can you make sprites from scratch there?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what you make! Looks really neat from an early stage!

Wow, this looks great! I've only tried out GB Studio a little; enough to understand how to set flags with dialogue and transition to different scenes based on it. People say it's simple, but as a novice it seems so complicated! One thing I don't understand; does the sprite editor only let you import sprites made elsewhere, or can you make sprites from scratch there?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what you make! Looks really neat from an early stage!

Oh, I think "sprite editor" was the wrong choice of words. There's just a sort of editor that allows you to choose sprite palettes. The sprites and backgrounds are all done in, like, paint/Gimp/PS.

Last edited:
Oh crap, there's a thread like this? Cool. I like posting stuff I've made.
For years now I've been creating poetry with a horror undertone. It doesn't find an audience so there's not much of it despite stated "years" of creation, but I'm always eager to show what I've done.
One of the first ones I've wrote is like a campfire spooky story, cheesy and silly, but still one of my favorites.

"Looking through the window
At the start of night,
I can see a tall man
Standing in street light

Never moves a muscle,
Doesn't bat an eye
He just keeps on standing
As if petrified.

Every time I see him
I can feel his stare.
Is he looking at me?
I don't know nor care.

Not exactly fearful,
I've been always strong,
Yet right now I wish that
He'd leave me alone.

Is he getting closer?
No, that can't be right.
Still the same street corner,
Still the same street light.

And one night it happened -
He just went away!
I was oh-so-happy,
Hoped that it would stay.

Looking through the window
I could feel the dread.
Yet there was no tall man,
He was by my bed."

Oh, I think "sprite editor" was the wrong choice of words. There's jus a sort of edittor that allows you to choose sprite palettes. The sprites and backgrounds are all done in, like, paint/Gimp/PS.

Ah, that makes sense! GB development seems so fun... I really hope someday we'll be able to release a GB title using it, it's one of my favorite platforms!

Phos and I will figure it out eventually. In the meantime, we got more stuff planned with Ren'Py!

So, voting for the Spooktober VN Jam has opened! If you liked me and Phos' game that we posted at the top of the page, you can give it a rating in the jam here!

If you haven't tried it out yet, it's a pretty quick read, and it's free too! And you can find out what THIS is about...

screenshot0120.png

Well I've done it, I have officially launched Monsters of Mican, my first ever game!

Launch trailer here:

I want to thank everyone here for the support, help and encouragement!

So my latest.. thing .. is to take a shot at becoming a Zeldatuber. (Meaning a YouTuber that uploads Zelda lore and theory videos) and this is my first one. I've never produced anything like this ever before, so I'm a tad nervous about it.

@Phosphorescent Skeleton and I have put together another free visual novel for a game jam! This one's for a winter themed visual novel jam, and so this is a winter themed story. We called it The Intern of Christmas Present!

screenshot0137.png

screenshot0189.png

In this game, you have to help Pressie, the Intern Ghost of Christmas Present, to open Girl Dracula's heart to accepting the joy of Christmas! There's 3 endings, plus two bad endings. It's a very light and silly game to enjoy over the holidays, so we hope you try it out!

It's actually a bit of a follow-up to our Halloween game! You'll get to find out what happened to those characters afterwards, but we wrote this one so that you'll have all the knowledge you need beforehand.

Merry Christmas from Phos and I!

@Phosphorescent Skeleton and I have put together another free visual novel for a game jam! This one's for a winter themed visual novel jam, and so this is a winter themed story. We called it The Intern of Christmas Present!

screenshot0137.png

screenshot0189.png

In this game, you have to help Pressie, the Intern Ghost of Christmas Present, to open Girl Dracula's heart to accepting the joy of Christmas! There's 3 endings, plus two bad endings. It's a very light and silly game to enjoy over the holidays, so we hope you try it out!

It's actually a bit of a follow-up to our Halloween game! You'll get to find out what happened to those characters afterwards, but we wrote this one so that you'll have all the knowledge you need beforehand.

Merry Christmas from Phos and I!
This game is super charming and funny a perfect holiday treat! Phos says, "Play it!"

Soooo I started a couple photography accounts a few months ago. ๐Ÿ˜…

After years of taking photos for myself and to show off to friends (and deflecting any suggestions of posting them publicly out of fear), I felt emboldened by the relative freshness of BlueSky and began curating/retouching around 15 years of photos for posting. Eventually (after some encouragement from @Suswave) I decided to double up and put them on Instagram as well, hence the aforementioned "couple" of accounts.

Some of it is cars, some is me trying to be artsy with skyscapes and trees and things, and some of it is me snapping shots of my late pupper being a damn goober. A little something for everyone. I'm trying to post daily-ish but I'm not always hitting that mark, and it's the same stuff across both accounts so if you only look at one you won't miss anything.

Anyway here yall go โค๏ธ

bafkreic7uhluyuin3jfswohrio35blrop4pewdvbi3jvv3x6aqcrzrkzee@jpeg

bafkreiau3sun3tfablm7i7astrvtzitsoddtxfpz3rl5cpceachwwc2d5q@jpeg

bafkreih3mu5dxvqkj3waoorsdbqzeplmfakupa4hv2dwc7t7uvxgdbvtmq@jpeg

bafkreiaoy5i7erb4bfhs5vojfcbuueyz57guw3aocrugfjwx4sr7otkgne@jpeg

bafkreib6chi3bnq53paytf6hlpjmfrydcis7n6n3fuuiw4gvopj32k7inu@jpeg

bafkreieb6oyk7pti6rzggrqnsxsboclicczreijpisakny5bqgyhqf6gcy@jpeg

So it's come to this: I'm making my first game. It's called Outrรฉ Town. It'll be a short, free visual novel with visuals collaged from old printed ephemera! Here's a piece of key art I made from a background and some cast portraits to help keep myself on track.

See you in town this summer...โœŒ๏ธ

PJAnP1l.png

Soooo I started a couple photography accounts a few months ago. ๐Ÿ˜…

After years of taking photos for myself and to show off to friends (and deflecting any suggestions of posting them publicly out of fear), I felt emboldened by the relative freshness of BlueSky and began curating/retouching around 15 years of photos for posting. Eventually (after some encouragement from @Suswave) I decided to double up and put them on Instagram as well, hence the aforementioned "couple" of accounts.

Some of it is cars, some is me trying to be artsy with skyscapes and trees and things, and some of it is me snapping shots of my late pupper being a damn goober. A little something for everyone. I'm trying to post daily-ish but I'm not always hitting that mark, and it's the same stuff across both accounts so if you only look at one you won't miss anything.

Anyway here yall go โค๏ธ

bafkreic7uhluyuin3jfswohrio35blrop4pewdvbi3jvv3x6aqcrzrkzee@jpeg

bafkreiau3sun3tfablm7i7astrvtzitsoddtxfpz3rl5cpceachwwc2d5q@jpeg

bafkreih3mu5dxvqkj3waoorsdbqzeplmfakupa4hv2dwc7t7uvxgdbvtmq@jpeg

bafkreiaoy5i7erb4bfhs5vojfcbuueyz57guw3aocrugfjwx4sr7otkgne@jpeg

bafkreib6chi3bnq53paytf6hlpjmfrydcis7n6n3fuuiw4gvopj32k7inu@jpeg

bafkreieb6oyk7pti6rzggrqnsxsboclicczreijpisakny5bqgyhqf6gcy@jpeg
Huh, that's why your name is Chocolate Supra. Yeah, that checks out. Is it yours?

In all seriousness though, these are lovely. Nicely done! What were these taken on?

Huh, that's why your name is Chocolate Supra. Yeah, that checks out. Is it yours?
Yes actually, on both counts. ๐Ÿคฃ The name came from one of those old chain emails friends would send around with goofy questions and the answers would be combined at the end to create nicknames. Like the "your p*rn name would be:" stuff. And it combined "what's your favorite candy" with "what's your favorite car" to give me Chocolate Supra. And it stuck! And yeah, all the cars pictured were either mine or my dad's over the years (with the exception of my buddy's MR2 in a couple early ones). So you'll see photos of progressively older cars as the years went on and my favorite 90s stuff got suddenly really expensive ๐Ÿ˜…
In all seriousness though, these are lovely. Nicely done! What were these taken on?
Thankyooou! I'm both embarrassed and kinda proud to say most of these were taken on Android phones, probably the majority with a Pixel 2. The earlier ones (with the black car, which was... oh geez, over 15 years ago) was a simple Kodak point-and-shoot digital camera. The changeover point was around where you see pictures of my pup start showing up. That was when I noticed the camera in my phone was just as good as the point-and-shoot I had. Plus when I just constantly had the camera on me (due to being in my phone) I started taking a lot more photos. I started noticing angles and catching glimpses of things in the normal progression of the day where I'd go "that's an interesting looking thing" and I reach into my pocket and do something with it. Gave me a way to be more creative more often.

Last edited:
Yes actually, on both counts. ๐Ÿคฃ The name came from one of those old chain emails friends would send around with goofy questions and the answers would be combined at the end to create nicknames. Like the "your p*rn name would be:" stuff. And it combined "what's your favorite candy" with "what's your favorite car" to give me Chocolate Supra. And it stuck! And yeah, all the cars pictured were either mine or my dad's over the years (with the exception of my buddy's MR2 in a couple early ones). So you'll see photos of progressively older cars as the years went on and my favorite 90s stuff got suddenly really expensive ๐Ÿ˜…

Thankyooou! I'm both embarrassed and kinda proud to say most of these were taken on Android phones, probably the majority with a Pixel 2. The earlier ones (with the black car, which was... oh geez, over 15 years ago) was a simple Kodak point-and-shoot digital camera. The changeover point was around where you see pictures of my pup start showing up. That was when I noticed the camera in my phone was just as good as the point-and-shoot I had. Plus when I just constantly had the camera on me (due to being in my phone) I started taking a lot more photos. I started noticing angles and catching glimpses of things in the normal progression of the day where I'd go "that's an interesting looking thing" and I reach into my pocket and do something with it. Gave me a way to be more creative more often.
You should be proud, they're great pictures! Absolutely no shame in using your phone either. That's what I do lol. The best camera you have is the one on you. Can't beat the convenience of always having a half decent camera on ya. Then if you need to do some tweaks, throw open Snapseed or Lightroom or something.

The best camera you have is the one on you.
That's actually a great line. Back in the day I used to make a whole thing out of going out to take photos (grab the camera, the tripod, find a location, etc) and it got me some great shots and fond memories but they were few and far in between. Once I had a decent phone camera I was much more casual and candid with it, ended up pretty much documenting everything and finding creativity in otherwise mundane moments. Probably a great decision in hindsight. Especially since that's what got me.. uh.. *checks* 531 photos of my dog, which I was very very glad to have after he passed.

Once I had a decent phone camera I was much more casual and candid with it, ended up pretty much documenting everything and finding creativity in otherwise mundane moments.
This is the value of having a good phone camera imo. Being able to pull out your phone and snap a quick pic whenever inspiration strikes is so nice. Like you said, it allows you to be creative and really find the beauty in the mundane. In a weird sort of way, it's helped me see the beauty in every day life because now everything is a good opportunity for a candid photo.

I am working on a game board for Majora's Mask Clue. Long story short, when my nephews were really young, they had no idea how Clue worked, and they were a pretty impatient bunch for learning rules. So I just kinda turned their Zelda Clue board into a lite TTRPG/DnD knockoff, with extra maps and such that I made. Rules that were just made to be really straightforward turn based stuff. Turns out, they loved it more than learning actual Clue and have turned it into their own expansion.

They have been begging me for years to make one map for Majora's mask, so now I finally found the time to start working on this board.

image.png

Last edited:
Sorry to double post, but this post is specifically to ask for critique regarding my color choices. I am doing my best to capture the spirit of the original (N64) art while also trying to make the board clear. Last time I just used another person's board to communicate the game. Making a completely original one is definitely a challenge for me. I'm worried if I'm making things too busy. Nevermind the editting I'm gonna do when I have to get this ready to print.

image.png

Sorry to double post, but this post is specifically to ask for critique regarding my color choices. I am doing my best to capture the spirit of the original (N64) art while also trying to make the board clear. Last time I just used another person's board to communicate the game. Making a completely original one is definitely a challenge for me. I'm worried if I'm making things too busy. Nevermind the editting I'm gonna do when I have to get this ready to print.

image.png
I'm not familiar with this type of game BUT as far as visual clarity I think it's good! Definitely has the same vibe as the areas from MM, which I haven't played in a long time but still have memories of being triggered looking at that map.

image.png
This is so cool! Looking great. And I feel comfortable dubbing you The #1 Uncle for this effort. โค๏ธ

I have been so busy with all sorts of stuff lately but I can finally announce that Monsters of Mican is coming to Steam in just over 2 weeks!!

Again I'm so grateful for all the help and support you've all given me over the years, it's truly the reason I was able to even finish this game.

I have a question that perhaps in my current tiredness from waking up I may have missed the answer for in the OP.
Would a YouTube video I made be considered appropriate for a creative endeavor? I don't know if it'd be appropriate to share it in a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe-related thread, as I don't want to seem like I'm self-promoting shameless. Sorry if I overlooked the answer. I just woke up from a long nap. :X

I have a question that perhaps in my current tiredness from waking up I may have missed the answer for in the OP.
Would a YouTube video I made be considered appropriate for a creative endeavor? I don't know if it'd be appropriate to share it in a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe-related thread, as I don't want to seem like I'm self-promoting shameless. Sorry if I overlooked the answer. I just woke up from a long nap. :X
I think you're good to share it either in this thread, in the general Nintendo discussion thread, or in the MK8DX star topic! Although that last one hasn't been active in a while so maybe one of the other two options lol

I drew this up for the Splatfest. New band just dropped!
That's so cute!!! Great work!
I think you're good to share it either in this thread, in the general Nintendo discussion thread, or in the MK8DX star topic! Although that last one hasn't been active in a while so maybe one of the other two options lol
Okie dokie! Thank you for the response and guidance! I dropped it in the general Nintendo discussion thread for the time being! :D

Might as well summarize stuff I'm working on atm:

I'm writing a Splatoon/Digimon crossover fic, called Digimon Adventure: Side Order. It takes place in the original Digimon Adventure continuity, though it's mostly focused on the 02 Digimon cast, with particular focus on Eight and Gatomon's partnership and the latter having to deal with the discovery that everyone human she knows and loves is dead, especially Kari.

I also have a separate Splatoon/Mega Man X crossover series, Inky Future, technically one big story but I've split up the major arcs beyond the first three into separate stories on Ao3 for organizational purposes. Haven't updated it in a few months, but I plan to get back to working on it soon.

(Also I'm writing a web novel but it's definitely way too NSFW to link here.)

I also work on gamedev stuff, though I've historically had very little luck getting any kind of project off the ground due to mostly only being good at design and narrative writing more than anything else. My goal as a designer is pretty much seamless integration of narrative and gameplay without the use of cutscenes through alternative methods of handling narrative interaction. Here's a few of my most recent gamedev vids:

Last edited:

Iโ€™ve been slowly chipping away at Grรถgol Bonanza and have a couple more videos out!

In this one, you can see the vibrant downtown corner of Shorenuff, a walled seaside city to the west.

This may not look like much, but I finally took the time to make my signs interactable and loaded in some key characters!

stick around โ€˜til the endโ€ฆ because I took my Interactable script and modified it for a โ€œpetableโ€ Grรถgol

Hereโ€™s another one! This is a peek at the northern outer wall, unofficially dubbed โ€œDragon Overlook Parkette.โ€

Itโ€™sโ€ฆ itโ€™s just a statueโ€ฆ

CHEESE.png

I figured that instead of me flooding General Discussion with boatloads of TotK clips, I can do this instead. This post will serve as a continuously updated collection post for all of my TotK clips, which mainly include shrine cheesing (clearing a shrine in a way that is not the "right" way) as well as some Ultrahand contraptions that I'm particularly happy with.

EDIT: Things got WILDLY out of hand and I've now made a video about cheesing every shrine in the game.

Last edited:
IMG_20240325_165438184.jpg

Today I drew Claude, the protagonist of GTA III, as a Mii Swordfighter. This because I really want CJ of GTA San Andreas to be in Smash one day
I used the original artwork and a mii head on my Switch as reference:

Claude_gta_3_art2_1.png
IMG_20240325_170206286_HDR.jpg

I think I drew the head a bit big or the eyes a bit small, but the body is a nice Mii Fighter size, I think.

I also have a Big Smoke Mii Costume drawing.

Back
Top Bottom