• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Creative Endeavors |ST| Flex your art muscles

Hooray, my demo is finally up and available to download!! Itch.io was my best bet for it. Anyway,

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Please let me know what you all think! I really need some criticism/comments to help drive me to keep going!
My laptop is about as old and shitty as they get, but I'll see if I can get this to run.

My laptop is about as old and shitty as they get, but I'll see if I can get this to run.
Mine is new but still pretty shitty and it worked decently enough, even in a development environment. Hopefully it works for you.

Hey everyone! I've been meaning to post here for a minute.

I'm working on a creature-catcher called Grögol Bonanza. Multimedia / music / code are my main skills – other than shitposting – but I'm not necessarily deeply talented at any one thing.

I started cooking this up as a joke, mostly as an inversion of what some Pokémon fans have decried in more recent games. I ran with some "careful what you wish for" concepts and tried to see how absurd I could make them. So based on that:

There are tons of creatures – called Grögols – in every possible type combination! ~ but they're all the shittiest little pen drawings I can scratch out based on very bad ideas

There's a gym for every type, and you can do them in any order! Maybe even secret ones! ~ but many of them are hidden, or require side quests, or won't open until you make the stinky wizard come out of his dumpster

There's no two-version split! ~ but your save file does more random generation than you think, meaning there are maybe way too many possible versions

There's a huge open world map! ~ but it's kind of minimalist, with flat bright colors and sketchy decoration

Your starters are not overpowered! ~ because you might not even get one, since the professor you're interning for is kind of a dick

The combat isn’t strictly turn-based! ~ because it’s “mini bullet hell” style, and you’re gonna have to practice your dodge dash if you don’t want to get dunked

There’s lots of optional post-game content! ~ because your Grögolpedia isn’t the only thing you’ll be filling out! and where did the Grögols come from, anyway? and why is the Federal Birdeau after you? and why did you put a Grögol in the horse incinerator when you don’t even know what a “horse” is? and what’s the deal with the terrifying Chaös Grögols? and why does it feel like there’s a whole other world beneath your feet? and where is the fourth karaoke bar? and what happens if you change the world? and what if you choose violence? and is a new save slot really just a new save slot? and what the hell is Jerry?! and where is the damn fishing hat?!

My hope is that it will end up being fun to play, funny, and engaging! but even if not, I’m having fun. it’s the perfect amount of chaotically ambitious and not too serious for a project to get me into game design.

Here’s a little reel I put together of planning and progress so far:

let me know your thoughts! I realize it’s all very chaotic and I didn’t really explain anything well, but this forum (and this community in prior forums) gave me the push I needed to finally try and make a game after ~25 years of wanting to. cheers!

This is amazing and I'm excited to play the final product in whatever form it takes

Played this video on my piving room tv for my partner because she had to see it

XSkVj6C_d.webp

BREAKFAST ENCHILADAS (AND THE CREW DOES THE Grögol Bonanza)

Hooray, my demo is finally up and available to download!! Itch.io was my best bet for it. Anyway,

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Please let me know what you all think! I really need some criticism/comments to help drive me to keep going!
Downloading now while my laptop is still close by. My office is torn down for a move atm but I'm gonna give this a shot when things level out a bit. (y)

I’ve been painting my miniatures games for the last year now. With my xmen United pledge delayed I decided to go back and paint the first minis game I ever got Star Wars imperial Assualt. Been chipping away at craft day at my FLGS but I’ve got a quiet week so I’m aiming to finish the 16 generics I have left(I’ve already done 7). Which will leave me with the 3 movie characters I have left, Luke, Vader, and Boba. Well and the ATST but that’s a different matter. So I just finished up the player character yesterday other and some final touches
Well I may go back and dry brush the twilek to a lighter tone(and I need to paint 2 bases and top coat it all) but I wrapped up the last 2 SWIA player characters today

IMG_5057.jpg

IMG_5058.jpg

Keeping it clean and simple has been my motto on this project tho I did do some washes on these 2. Here’s the whole gang

IMG_5060.jpg

Oh and a bunch of topcoating I have a backlog and it’s warm enough to use the airbrush

I’m waiting for my xmen United to arrive but if it doesn’t before I finish up the other stuff I think this is the simplest and the first of my 3D prints(I did the model work and had someone else print it) I’ll try to paint

IMG_5065.jpg

I also have a test one a third it’s size already primed but I was probably doing a gag all metalic paint job on it for the heck of it. tho I also have some fantasy minis I might assemble and mess with

Also before I get to work on painting I’ve got a model kit to panel line and build

IMG_5048.jpg

Updated my demo again with a whole load of new stuff, hopefully working and looking much better than before. Also now the page is public, because screw my anxiety and insecurity!!

Someone please let me know if I'm spamming this thread too much.

My latest piece on autism and neurodiversity.
I thought I'd focus on the positive side of something that's generally painted in a negative light; the way we process sensory input. Yes, some sensations can be a stress input, but others can be healing and I wanted to talk a bit about that.

After a month's work, the game jam is over. I submitted my game this morning, two hours before the deadline. It was an intense month and it feels nice to be able to relax a little now. I definitely went a little too ambitious. I ended up having to cut out some major features it was supposed to have. The final game is pretty messy and will feel incomplete. There are collectibles but they don't do anything because I never had time to get the upgrade shop in the game.

The real sour spot ended up being the combat. I wanted to get experimental and try out an idea I had knocking around in my head for a while but it didn't really work in practice. I didn't have time to really flesh it out or add a variety of enemies and there are a lot of problems with the fundamental concepts. Trying to invent a new style of combat is hard. Right now it's mostly about lining up AOEs and it's pretty basic.

But I'm content with the script. During the last couple of weeks, it became apparent the story would be the saving grace. It's nothing amazing but I think it's fun and has some charm. I also had a very positive experience collaborating with an artist and composer on the game. Their work is absolutely amazing. The gameplay may suck, but it's got a killer soundtrack.

Despite all the warts, I'm feeling good about finally having a finished and released to the public game under my belt. Kyle is going to be streaming all the entries tonight and on monday. I think mine's slotted for monday. Overall it was a good experience and I learned a lot from it. I loved working with my two teammates and enjoyed seeing everyone's progress in the discord. Here's a link if anyone has interest (https://etherpenguin.itch.io/steel-love-120-you-can-not-undo). Make sure to read the jam's overview page so you know what's going on in the story.

Anyways, this means I finally have time to check out Skittzo's demo. I want to check out some other entries for the jam too, so it might still be a bit.

probably the most interesting sounding song i've ever made

$50 of cables went into that vocal effects chain

Hey all!

I’m working on a Nintendo song. It’s gonna be fun, light, and happy. (Hopefully not cringe.)

It’ll take a month or two to make, but I hope you’ll listen/watch when the song/video are done.

I just got the full instrumental from my producer today. Expect a Spotify and Apple Music release when the video goes up!

Another song I wrote, performed, and produced myself. I'm happy with this one, since I wrote part of it almost a decade ago and abandoned it. Finally decided to flesh it out, give it a good chorus, and let it go.

Another song I wrote, performed, and produced myself. I'm happy with this one, since I wrote part of it almost a decade ago and abandoned it. Finally decided to flesh it out, give it a good chorus, and let it go.

Got some major anime ED vibes going. And I mean that as a compliment.

This is really, really, really, really good!
Thank you very very very very much, what do you like about it?

Got some major anime ED vibes going. And I mean that as a compliment.
Oh hell yeah I take that as a compliment

If you want anime vibes, look at the "Futura" album through the Spotify link above. I wrote the first track after the first time I watched Eva Rebuild 1. Plus the whole album is just vibey. I recorded it on an iPhone 4S.

Thanks for checking it out. Making music is my main jam in life.

There was this nice floating rhythm in the vocals that fit very well with the chord progression, you could feel the vibe so hard.

I try to make all the different elements in my music dynamic, so that tells me I'm doing it right. Thank you again.

So, yeah, I know I already shared something earlier in the thread, but I feel like I also want to share something that's maybe a bit more Nintendo-related.

So here is my next Game Builder Garage project - Breath of the Wild's Hyrule. Sorry for the video quality, I really wanted to share this but in the eleventh hour, my Game Capture device sort of broke down, so I had to resort to the webcam. So it's a bit blurry. Nevertheless, happy to share it!

So, yeah, I know I already shared something earlier in the thread, but I feel like I also want to share something that's maybe a bit more Nintendo-related.

So here is my next Game Builder Garage project - Breath of the Wild's Hyrule. Sorry for the video quality, I really wanted to share this but in the eleventh hour, my Game Capture device sort of broke down, so I had to resort to the webcam. So it's a bit blurry. Nevertheless, happy to share it!

Omg that's so cute, I love it. I want to play it so badly lol

Ok then, as a small introduction to myself here's a oneshot of mine

Before his departure

This is a fanfic that covers the last moments before Simon Belmont's departure to Dracula's castle. I took all the different versions of the character and fused them into what is my headcanon version of him.

I write in my native language, but as an experiment, this one is machine translated with DeepL and edited afterwards.

I work mainly for the Castlevania fandom, and there's way more i want to show, but i'm working right now and can't write a proper introduction nor look a the thread properly, so i'll leave this here for now.

Dang, i need to get back to Game Builder Garage, got it with the hopes of managing to create something cool but my studies sucked all the life and free time out of me.
On my end, I'm primarily an artist, I do hobby game dev but I haven't gotten to work on my current project in a little while because it's been a little more work than I can handle alongside my job at the moment, but I swear I'll get back to it as soon as I can. Promise. I've also done a lot of arts and crafts (including sewing, embroidery, and leatherwork) over the years but at the moment I'm mostly having fun with crochet as my keep-the-hands-busy activity.

The game I've been working on is a little life sim, there's currently a small prototype demo out here: https://paranoodle.itch.io/elf-game ! It's been a solo endeavor so far, but I might reach out for help creating certain assets later (I'm terrible at sound design lol), once I have enough done to actually justify the expense. It's all in Godot, with GDScript (because I like Python better than C#), and I'm really bad at finding and figuring out plugins so I've been doing almost everything from scratch. Pretty proud of the result so far!

P0ojSU.png

f19d81e03dca833ce3f89666e488b9f64a103768.pnj

On the art side, I mostly draw original characters (I have... a lot of them) but there's the occasional fanart. Mostly Star Ocean (see: my icon), sometimes Tales or Monster Hunter. I used to do a decent amount of Fire Emblem fanart too but I haven't touched it in a while, I've really dropped off the series.

Ok, i honestly fell in love with this, love both the arte style and interface.

Ah well, if this covers writing/fanfiction as well then I’ll go ahead and share my AOOO account before I chicken out.

I used to write a lot more when I was younger but sort of grew out of it as I had to focus more on school. Then when the pandemic first hit and Australia went into lockdowns I found myself with a lot more free time and writing seemed like the perfect thing to fill the void, and I ended up enjoying it so much I just kept going.

My most recent stories have all been about Amphibia, mostly because I’ve been obsessing over it a little since it’s ended. But I also have a couple in the Ace Attorney and Three Houses fandoms if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Sigh I wish I could just get some momentum going on getting my bass or mandolin playing going. Would love to cover the theme of Steel Jeeg

Well here you go, the limits of what my hands were up for on Ideon(for now). Tremors have been bad all week but I wanted to get it to a stopping point with X-men United arriving next week

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_5218.jpg

IMG_5219.jpg

Gotta admit, super satisfying build, insane color separation, only the eyes are stickers(well and the one on the shield but I thankfully had a proper Gundam marker for that). Solid articulation too
IMG_5228.jpg

IMG_5230.jpg

IMG_5231.jpg

IMG_5233.jpg

IMG_5234.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg

He’s on the shorter side for a classic real. Sorry don’t have a Gundam out for a better comparison. All I got is this, a bunch of supers and the Baund Doc for in scale.
IMG_5229.jpg

Also due to the design the inner frame is closer to RG. There's proper storage points for the knives and spare gun ammo(4 clips). Includes the standard shield and bomb shields, And a giant Railgun I didn't take a picture of. Pretty minimal panel lining too. Not sure what I’m building next, I have Blazing Gundam, Ryujinmaru, and Getter Devolution black as my immediate choices

Okay, now that i'm freei think i can finally talk about my craft. Here's my AO3 full profile

As i said before, i'm mainly a Castlevania writer, i have two main fanfics built arond the 1999 battle (Both are completely canon compliant, by the way) :

Castlevania: Twilight Rhapsodia wich is my first serious work overall. I was a beginner over here and through the first 10 chapters or so it shows. I have been developing this one for almost twenty years, it now covers two full books and i'm almost 10 chapters into the first one. It's an action-adventure story with some romance, taking place 11 years after 1999. I'm not one to brag, but my character development, interactions and fighting scenes have been widely praised :giggle: Also, there are sex scenes, wich are properly marked as smut in the title, and are completely accessory.

Castlevania TR: Waterdrops' Serenade, a more recent endeavor, prequel to Twilight Rhapsodia and taking place 15 years before 1999. The main characters are Adela and Juan José Fernández from Twilight Rhapsodia, in their teen years. This one is more compact and structured, having a mission-slice of life-mission structure and showing how the characters learn to trust each other and fall in love. It's more of a romance/action story where i play a bit with predefined roles/stereotypes and work with some themes i couldn't touch on TR

Again, i'm very proud of my craft. I'm not the best, and both writing on my native language and working with a full OC cast has resulted in not getting many readers, but it doesn't discourage me, in fact, i love writing whenever i find the time and energy to do so.

Well here you go, the limits of what my hands were up for on Ideon(for now). Tremors have been bad all week but I wanted to get it to a stopping point with X-men United arriving next week

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_5218.jpg

IMG_5219.jpg
That's 3D printed, right? It reminded me of a Saint Seiya project i had in my mind before selling my Ender 3 pro, but it didn't go anywhere in the end.

Okay, now that i'm freei think i can finally talk about my craft. Here's my AO3 full profile

As i said before, i'm mainly a Castlevania writer, i have two main fanfics built arond the 1999 battle (Both are completely canon compliant, by the way) :

Castlevania: Twilight Rhapsodia wich is my first serious work overall. I was a beginner over here and through the first 10 chapters or so it shows. I have been developing this one for almost twenty years, it now covers two full books and i'm almost 10 chapters into the first one. It's an action-adventure story with some romance, taking place 11 years after 1999. I'm not one to brag, but my character development, interactions and fighting scenes have been widely praised :giggle: Also, there are sex scenes, wich are properly marked as smut in the title, and are completely accessory.

Castlevania TR: Waterdrops' Serenade, a more recent endeavor, prequel to Twilight Rhapsodia and taking place 15 years before 1999. The main characters are Adela and Juan José Fernández from Twilight Rhapsodia, in their teen years. This one is more compact and structured, having a mission-slice of life-mission structure and showing how the characters learn to trust each other and fall in love. It's more of a romance/action story where i play a bit with predefined roles/stereotypes and work with some themes i couldn't touch on TR

Again, i'm very proud of my craft. I'm not the best, and both writing on my native language and working with a full OC cast has resulted in not getting many readers, but it doesn't discourage me, in fact, i love writing whenever i find the time and energy to do so.

That's 3D printed, right? It reminded me of a Saint Seiya project i had in my mind before selling my Ender 3 pro, but it didn't go anywhere in the end.
Yeah if all the loose filament didn’t give it away already

My latest autism advocacy piece, exploring the difference that acceptance makes

Hadnt fun and painted Namor today, he’s done, outside of varnish of course. Came together nicely, solid start for X-men United I believe. Did this today, after basing a few days ago
Based

IMG_5283.jpg

Pre layering

IMG_5289.jpg
Here’s the finished product(sans matte varnish)

IMG_5292.jpg

IMG_5293.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg

Inbetween sessions working on my own game, I've also been working on my arrangement skills.

I thought people might like to listen to my arrangement of a song from Legend of Mana, one of my favourite games. I rebuilt the song completely from scratch using FL Studio, and the Sonatina orchestra sample pack. For anyone interested in orchestral composing and arranging, this is a godsend: It's a free collection of samples of pretty much every instrument in an orchestra. You get individual notes for each instrument, often sustained, pizzicato and staccato, so it's very good for composing a wide variety of styles.

Anyway, here's my arrangement of Hometown Domina:

There's been some really cool stuff in here since the last time I replied, it's really nice to see! I love how many different mediums have shown up already :)

I finally found some time this week to finish more than just a sketch, and I'm really happy with it, I miss getting to do art more regularly...

Knocked out Toad and Doop today!

IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5315.jpg

IMG_5316.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5320.jpg

And gotta have a group shot of everyone so far
IMG_5321.jpg

Hoping to knock out one or two more this weekend. Next week is too hot, I’ll probably work on a kit

There's been some really cool stuff in here since the last time I replied, it's really nice to see! I love how many different mediums have shown up already :)

I finally found some time this week to finish more than just a sketch, and I'm really happy with it, I miss getting to do art more regularly...

Lovely colour palette!

Well I knocked out another X-men United mini today, Sauron! Mostly layering for texture tho

IMG_5334.jpg

IMG_5336.jpg

IMG_5335.jpg

IMG_5344.jpg

And held for better lighting
IMG_5343.jpg

IMG_5339.jpg

IMG_5338.jpg

Just have Doom, Feral, Sasquatch and Thing left out of my primed and based ones. Super hot week so won’t be happening now. Still a question of when I’ll get some of these to the table tho

Edit - I didn’t notice this thread is for art projects so removed my links

Last edited:

Such a soft style, I love it!!!!! 🥺💕

Anyway, back again with another KIRBY /dabs

My latest piece of writing; advice for newly diagnosed autistics, and their family, friends, advocates, teachers, and other supporters

Knocked out Pyro and Firestar today, was nice having some people to bounce off of at my flgs’ craft day. I think I had the most fun with Pyro’s hair. Layering hair on this project is just fun cause it’s low stress and you can just toy around.
IMG_5572.jpg

IMG_5573.jpg

IMG_5574.jpg

Of course this also means the brotherhood villain team(game has these 3 as one for challenge) is done(still plenty of other brotherhood members in the game and I’ll do more pics as I do em)
IMG_5575.jpg

IMG_5576.jpg

This has definitely been a fun project. Still have tons to go, almost time for me to break out the airbrush and do some top coating(then again it’ll also probably be about time to prime and base another batch). Also finally picked up a citadel mini grip, and that was pretty dang helpful too.

I've finally got some free time again and half a brain to make use of it, so I'm picking my current dev project back up. Godot's come out with some cool updates since so I'm excited to see how much work I can streamline and if there's any simpler way to do some of the coding backflips I used to.

Spent most of the afternoon finally setting up resolution options, which are kind of a nightmare for pixel art games. I'm expecting to spend the next few days debugging visual glitches as a result, but putting it off any longer would've made it even worse.

Next on my plate will be setting up some more menus and code for the main gameplay loop, but I might take a break and make a couple assets or write a bit depending on how those go.

Game dev is slow going with two kids in the house, a new puppy and a full time working from home job. But I'm slowly but surely making progress. Got a second town mostly done, 1 and a half overworld dungeons, a bunch of new enemies (at like 110 now), streamlined a bunch of my blueprints, and finally added a real bonafide random equipment enchantment system.

Overall maybe I'm like 15% done making a full 3D first person RPG which to be honest I find to be amazing.

Well this was a tough one. Only took a tad over 2 hours tho(it had an airbrush base color) Freehand is tough, tho white ridges are still tough too. Pretty happy with at how Feral turned out tho. Thank goodness it's hair so I can have those stripe off and it still looks good. Base was annoying due to the pose avoiding the legs.
IMG_5629.jpg

IMG_5630.jpg

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5631.jpg

As always, a shot in my house normal lighting
IMG_5633.jpg

Also this makes 10! X-men United minis. I'll do a group shot tomorrow, tho the comparison shot to my marvel united ones will have to wait till I top coat these. Either tomorrow or Thursday. Planning to do a batch of blue base airbrushing(Avalanche, Beast, Mystique, Snowbird and Sinister) after I top coat too. Tho also have 3 no base characters with enough colors I’m going all by hand(it’s been a while. Marrow, Legion and rogue)

Oh and have Doom from Sunday too
IMG_5604.jpg

Just posting here again to show that one of my piece for the Trails series got into their fanart gallery!! I am so happy 😭

Back
Top Bottom