• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Coffee

Do you like coffee?

• Yes

Votes: 75 77.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 22.7%

• Total voters
I ordered a French press after growing increasingly worried about drinking hot liquid brewed in a plastic tube known as the Aeropress multiple times a day. We have a reasonably good drip coffee maker, but when I'm just making a cup for myself, it's a bit inconvenient. It's also nice to be able to have some variety.

Iโ€™m a dark roast cat. a real battery-acid freak. I wake up a disheveled pile of meat and hair in a robe and my god damn limbs donโ€™t work and I perch โ€” perch wherever is the right spot that day โ€” and I wait.

my immaculate senses tell me when itโ€™s time to move like blood through the water. minute changes in vibration through the air seize me at the moment, a perfect ten minutes before my wife is awake.

Iโ€™m already in motion. the hot water kettle murmurs to life. I rinse out the chemex, filter afresh.

death to brand, always, yet glory to the hermit. her hands built the lattice that sorts out each drop, stacks them in favor of taste. black flame.

two point five heaping trowels. smolder at the canyonโ€™s lip. darker yet. becoming.

water that would singe the flesh โ€” here is where it blooms.

the dribble is the drone, punctuation pulled long, repetitious in alchemy. becoming.

they finally awake to their manic crone, their spirited shitposter in ailing veils, surveillant of brew and ward to all counter critters, hunched and intent on the task.

our bodies breaking down but not without some fight. not without herons and sunlight. not today. but another.

in recognition โ€” in honor โ€” our coffee is poured. they crave strength and I heat โ€” our own quiet order, routine.

when my limbs fail more than now. when my spine stops rooting for the home team. when Iโ€™m bone or ash, and lost โ€” or found โ€” I will make that cup of coffee, so help me god.

this I will fucking cherish.

I need to find a good resource on how the roast (light to dark) affects the coffee body and flavor. Maybe I should order the same beans with different roasts and try myself?

I need to find a good resource on how the roast (light to dark) affects the coffee body and flavor. Maybe I should order the same beans with different roasts and try myself?
in short, light roasts will trend more floral (think tea) and acidic (low bitterness) while dark roasts trend smoky (think roasted spices) and bitter (low acid)

Coffee: It's Supposed to Be Hot
UP8G0fp.png

(not that hot)

It shouldn't be that big a deal, but being able to brew coffee in the French press, take it to the table and keep pouring more coffee as the cup gets empty feels extremely satisfying and undeniably increases my quality of life. It's double-walled so the coffee stays hot for a good while too. Kind of annoying to clean up, but it's worth it.

Somehow I've never considered the YouTube coffee scene. That seems poised to change now!

My coffee grinder broke this week and like a jackass I ordered a new one online instead of just going to a store 5 minutes away. That meant two days of going to Tim Horton's and...dang. Obviously things vary by location somewhat but it was fuckin' dire. It had no discernible coffee taste lmao. Suffice it to say that Mocha Joe would not have approved of their beans.

I should really give my french press another try.

Somehow I've never considered the YouTube coffee scene. That seems poised to change now!

My coffee grinder broke this week and like a jackass I ordered a new one online instead of just going to a store 5 minutes away. That meant two days of going to Tim Horton's and...dang. Obviously things vary by location somewhat but it was fuckin' dire. It had no discernible coffee taste lmao. Suffice it to say that Mocha Joe would not have approved of their beans.

I should really give my french press another try.
Going to get a Hario grinder?

My new love is definitely arabic coffee beans. Just bought some which had this honey/mint accent to it and lord it is good. I was never too specific about my coffee until recently where i started experimenting different coffee beans and powder variations and i'm surprised by how different they can taste.

A little bit of both, sadly
I feel you if it's time to cut back a bit. When I was 24 I would drink black coffee literally all day with no ill effects. Now I'm 34 and three reasonably sized cups is my absolute limit! Any more wreaks absolute havoc on my anxiety. Gotta respect the bean

Just tried this and it is quite great. When you're pouring your Moka Pot coffee or using your espresso machine, have it immediately poured over ice.

this post is beautiful prose but reading it again I feel compelled to point out that generally dark roasts are more bitter while light roasts are more acidic. for this reason I believe you'd be an alkaline battery freak
damn, this is true. I went high colloquial on this one.

Iโ€™m aโ€ฆ a real potassium hydroxide freak?

in your defense I think really bitter dark roasts are more likely to get a gulp-and-grimace than a nice bright light roast.

I drank through a bag of robusta beans, and being back on arabica feels so mellow.
I hate-bought a bag of ground 'Vietnamese Churro Coffee' from Costco that was a blend of arabica and robusta beans + cinnamon ground directly into the mix and, uh, it was delicious. Would buy again. (I realize Vietnam largely uses robusta coffee, but I'm accustomed to Vietnamese-American arabica + chicory.)

this post is beautiful prose but reading it again I feel compelled to point out that generally dark roasts are more bitter while light roasts are more acidic. for this reason I believe you'd be an alkaline battery freak

I'm not a coffee drinker but yall're starting my morning of with something just as good: laughter

Back
Top Bottom