• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Can Switch "survive" more 17 months?

A Switch hybrid with 3x the power + DLSS for 4K output will essentially be what a home-console-only Nintendo system could offer anyways, so it’s irrelevant.

It’s only one system for Nintendo now. With an incredibly long lifespan.

If they want to play around with hardware an new kinds of gameplay, they will come as peripherals to the Switch platform.
The Switch name could persist for a while, but the current hardware realistically is only going to be a significant part of that for another 4-5 years max.

Now, while I doubt this to be true and the hardware improvements likely cost a bit closer to the $50 extra that the OLED model costs (due to costs not mentioned, like the metal frame on the interior of the OLED), it does indicate that the extra price probably only exists to ensure that OLED Switch offers the same profit per unit sold as a Switch or Switch Lite, which was estimated based on teardowns to be $20-40 per unit back in 2017. Who knows what their profit-per-unit is now, probably closer to $60-100 thanks to greater production yields when transitioning the entire lineup to the 16nm Tegra X1+ "Mariko" instead of the standard 20nm Tegra X1 used at launch and overall decreases in all component parts over time.

If Switch OLED sells really well, I could see Nintendo establishing a $350 retail price baseline for the launch of whatever you want to call what comes next.
God that article source was trash and I hate when people take “estimated cost” at face value.
IIRC all it did was calculate the cost of the new screen, not overall production costs rush. New case, new form factor plastic case for the new kickstand, new speakers, slightly chances in MOBO and chips configuration, and then comes things like shipping during a supple chain nightmare, the cost of retails cut/ royalty. Nintendo had to put out an statement official from corporate that NO, the were not magically putting the OLED model for all costing only 10$ and ripping of people the other 40$

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
I still don’t understand why people are so desperate for a new power model, Nintendo wont deliver games faster and 3rd party wont magically flow in with paired support as they do for PS/ XB/ PC

Last edited:
God that article source was trash and I hate when people take “estimated cost” at face value.
IIRC all it did was calculate the cost of the new screen, not overall production costs rush. New case, new form factor plastic case for the new kickstand, new speakers, slightly chances in MOBO and chips configuration, and then comes things like shipping during a supple chain nightmare, the cost of retails cut/ royalty. Nintendo had to put out an statement official from corporate that NO, the were not magically putting the OLED model for all costing only 10$ and ripping of people the other 40$

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
I still don’t understand why people are so desperate for a new power model, Nintendo wont deliver games faster and 3rd party wont magically flow in with paired support as they do for PS/ XB/ PC
It's like you didn't read past the article in my post.

It's like you didn't read past the article in my post.
I just hate that article (those type), that either on purpose or just being stupid try to pass half assed information as fact that leads to a whole can of worm steam from air and dumb takes

I think the Switch overall will thrive.

However, Nintendo really needs to keep up the pressure in terms of games, and perhaps hardware.

Nintendo completely killed the Wii Brand by having very little titles between 2010-2012, plus this was when third parties were focusing on the HD twins. If Nintendo released the Wii U in 2010 or 2011, they may have been able to keep that brand alive and well. Also, would have led to a solid 4 years of substantial third party support if it was similar internals to the PS360.

We can't just think of the Switch and it's success, but also the successor. Nintendo benefits from putting out a successor sooner rather than later.

20th anniversary of this baby coming up soon!

pablo-belmonte-nintendo-on.jpg

I believe Nintendo will support a standalone VR headset that coexists with the Switch successor (albeit releasing a few years later). Whether the hardware is Nintendo’s own or from some sort of unprecedented partnership, I dunno. There’s a lot of movement in the VR/AR space and the 2020s are definitely going to be interesting in that regard.

All I know is my purchase of the switch OLED reinvigorated my gaming desire. Playing through Crysis 2, Burnout Paradise, and will probably get the GTA remaster assuming port is good. There are so many great games available for the console.

Eek, I only really know NintendoLife from their youtube channel, which I adore, so seeing clickbait like that is super disappointing.

All I know is my purchase of the switch OLED reinvigorated my gaming desire. Playing through Crysis 2, Burnout Paradise, and will probably get the GTA remaster assuming port is good. There are so many great games available for the console.
Same, it's an unbelievable QOL upgrade

I still don’t understand why people are so desperate for a new power model

Different people, different priorities. For that subset of users some or all of the below may apply:

a) Nintendo first-party titles are around or exceed the limit of "acceptable" experience for some customers

b) The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X have demonstrated that iterative/enhanced hardware models are a desired product by a good-size portion of the customer-base who assign high-value to enhanced experiences; I.e. its normalized and acceptable to a lot of players

c) New hardware like the PS5, XSX, Deck illustrate enticingly more powerful devices, in the case of the latter in a portable form-factor to boot

d) Me like shiny

Nobody should talk down on a player who is perfectly happy w/ their current Switch and satisfied by the experiences it provides.

But also, nobody should begrudge another player who values different parameters for their subjective enjoyment. Its all good!

Personally, I kinda tick b,c, and d above but nevertheless got an OLED model incoming to maximize my enjoyment of the current switch library. I think switch easily has several strong years left in the pipeline, especially as the bulk of Japanese and Indies revel in that monster install-base. For instance, I think Atlus goes bonkers over the next few years w/ switch support.

The Switch name could persist for a while, but the current hardware realistically is only going to be a significant part of that for another 4-5 years max.

I agree. I’m sure something will release in 2026/2027 that will make the OLED Switch and the Lite a dead system. Won’t be the 4K Switch though lol.

Next year is already packed with the likes of Bayo 3, Splatoon 3, Pokemon Arceus, Project Triangle Strategy, as well as others. Japanese support is still strong and BotW2 could be coming sooner than we think as well.

Not to mention Prime 4 and Monolith's next game...yeah making it beyond 2023 isn't even a stretch TBH.

no no no...
the steam deck that will sell 1.5 million units lifetime.
Which, in all honesty, is pretty good for what it is and I'll be picking it up myself. It's just funny that anyone could present it as any kind of threat, especially when it'll have more appeal for folk whom have large Steam libraries and want to take them on the go or want a more comfortable alternative to gaming laptops, like myself

Which, in all honesty, is pretty good for what it is and I'll be picking it up myself. It's just funny that anyone could present it as any kind of threat, especially when it'll have more appeal for folk whom have large Steam libraries and want to take them on the go or want a more comfortable alternative to gaming laptops, like myself
yeah and as decent as the hardware is I'm fully expecting whatever Nintendo device comes next to be more capable than Steam Deck... I agree... it has it's audience but it's not a threat or a a switch killer by any means. Maybe eventually a SteamDeck 3 will eat into some of the market or something.

yeah and as decent as the hardware is I'm fully expecting whatever Nintendo device comes next to be more capable than Steam Deck... I agree... it has it's audience but it's not a threat or a a switch killer by any means. Maybe eventually a SteamDeck 3 will eat into some of the market or something.
Oh will it? Considering the Steam Deck's bulk and higher starting price point, I figured the next Switch would be about the same level of power but with the benefit of coming later so it can start off cheaper and have less bulk. But, if it's more powerful, I'll be VERY hyped

I think it'll be something that'll continue to coexist within the gaming market and mainly appeal to very hard-core enthusiasts more than anything else. Lord knows I plan to use it for emulating older systems and playing some indie and mid-tier games that the current Switch can't quite handle, assuming I don't end up getting the next Switch quickly

I was anxious that the Switch replacement was coming next year what with a new Zelda, Splatoon, Metroid Prime, Bayo 3 still on the way but I think these can keep the Switch selling until the next console.

On November 20th, can we have the thread title changed to "16 months"?
I mean, the name of the thread is future proof.
You can ask "can Switch survive 17 more months?" by 2023 and the answer will be "yes, Dane just released and there's Mario Kart/3D Mario/Pokémon 9th gen coming, with brand new games announced for 2024".

Not with the steam deck on the horizon
you mean that thing that is twice as expensive, twice as fat, 50% as big, mostly aimed at hobbiest, and that keeps getting delayed and likely will have a production yeild that can be counted in 1 hand???

Yeah, I too remember how VITA killed 3DS

If reading around (no, not just that) is indicative, there does seem to be some loss of steam. This is a combination of those who dismiss anything that's not Mario, Zelda or Smash, next gen making Switch look more dated, and Steam Deck removing the point of multiplatform games on Switch. This is probably actually not indicative, but it is a bit of a draggy mood.

Not dead to me though.

They are selling everything they are putting on the shelves...

The Deck is even more irrelevant to the Switch appeal than Sony/Microsoft systems. I don't even think Nintendo sees it in the same target market as the Switch. I mean, it's not just that the price range is way higher, it's that the thing won't be sold for quite some time (if it will some day!) through the same channels as Nintendo is selling the Switch.

If reading around (no, not just that) is indicative, there does seem to be some loss of steam. This is a combination of those who dismiss anything that's not Mario, Zelda or Smash, next gen making Switch look more dated, and Steam Deck removing the point of multiplatform games on Switch. This is probably actually not indicative, but it is a bit of a draggy mood.

Not dead to me though.
There’s really no loss of steam. Switch is currently sold out pretty much everywhere in its two biggest markets and regarding Steam Deck, the people who believe it will have a significant negative effect on Switch market performance also believed the PSP and Vita would crush the DS and 3DS. And unlike those two Sony handhelds, Valve’s portable may never even be widely available to purchase.

The switch isn’t dying. It’ll last until it naturally makes way for the next system. Online discourse is definitely trying to kill it. Lol, but it’s doing just fine.

Back
Top Bottom