• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News "Braid, Anniversary Edition" coming to PC and consoles on April 30th (UPDATE: 35 new levels, see threadmarks)

nothing of any value lost. blow sucks and braid is overrated garbo lol

this video is the most valuable thing that braid has given this world. soulja boy told him.

I have never seen this in my life.

Did the man cry in the end because people were enjoying his games for other reasons than he intended to? Was he depressed because he thinks people misunderstood what is good about his game?

Is that him standing in a dark room all alone serious? I was laughing all the way from the start how the black dude (Soulja Boy?) was joking about the game. This video is hilarious, I should feel bad, but I don't.

LOL I assume what has happened:
So he applied for a bigger showcase at the Indie World, but Nintendo decided against it, because of whatever reason. So Blow got pissed and decided to finally announce the game release without mentioning Nintendo. Sounds like a classic move by him.

I really hate Nintendo's strategy of wanting to be the ones to announce the Switch version of certain multiplat games.

Especially here, it just makes no sense. The game was originally announced for Switch years ago. Then when it resurfaced a few days ago without the Switch version, lots of people took that to mean the Switch version was canceled. Then today, it gets reconfirmed for Switch in an unceremonious sizzle real in a Nintendo presentation.

Seems like this does more harm than good with all the negative press of the Switch version being canceled. Why even let that become part of the news cycle? Will everyone who saw the original story see the follow-up saying, "oh wait, just kidding, it's also coming to Switch!"?

Happy this got announced. won't be supporting it, but the discourse in the previous page reminded me of being a Nintendo fan in 2013, not 2023. Switch is too big a market to ignore even for an asshole like him.

I really hate Nintendo's strategy of wanting to be the ones to announce the Switch version of certain multiplat games.

Especially here, it just makes no sense. The game was originally announced for Switch years ago. Then when it resurfaced a few days ago without the Switch version, lots of people took that to mean the Switch version was canceled. Then today, it gets reconfirmed for Switch in an unceremonious sizzle real in a Nintendo presentation.

Seems like this does more harm than good with all the negative press of the Switch version being canceled. Why even let that become part of the news cycle? Will everyone who saw the original story see the follow-up saying, "oh wait, just kidding, it's also coming to Switch!"?
The indie showcase has 502k views just on the NA upload on Nintendo's own channel, and the standalone trailer on the same channel has 22k views as of this writing.

How many clicks do you think those news stories speculating its cancellation got? I wasn't even aware of the discourse without this Fami thread. It simply wasn't on my radar.

I think sales of this release on Switch will be just fine.

The indie showcase has 502k views just on the NA upload on Nintendo's own channel, and the standalone trailer on the same channel has 22k views as of this writing.

How many clicks do you think those news stories speculating its cancellation got? I wasn't even aware of the discourse without this Fami thread. It simply wasn't on my radar.

I think sales of this release on Switch will be just fine.
Not everyone watches these showcases, especially Indie World, which isn't known for megaton announcements. Some people just scan for headlines on news sites.

Let's say your main source of news is Gematsu. They posted a story last week about Braid being cancelled for Switch. While they did correct it today to say that the game is indeed coming to the Switch, they didn't bump the story to the front page. So I'm sure there are several users of that site that don't know.

But let's say it is just a handful of people that miss today's news. Why would Nintendo even put themselves in this position when it is so easily avoided? What benefit did anyone get from hiding the Switch version for a few days to reveal it in an unceremonious 10 second clip in a sizzle real?

They can have it in a sizzle real and still let the publisher announce the Switch version along with the rest of them! It's a win-win!

Not everyone watches these showcases, especially Indie World, which isn't known for megaton announcements. Some people just scan for headlines on news sites.

Let's say your main source of news is Gematsu. They posted a story last week about Braid being cancelled for Switch. While they did correct it today to say that the game is indeed coming to the Switch, they didn't bump the story to the front page. So I'm sure there are several users of that site that don't know.

But let's say it is just a handful of people that miss today's news. Why would Nintendo even put themselves in this position when it is so easily avoided? What benefit did anyone get from hiding the Switch version for a few days to reveal it in an unceremonious 10 second clip in a sizzle real?

They can have it in a sizzle real and still let the publisher announce the Switch version along with the rest of them! It's a win-win!
It's a Jonathan Blow game, so shove into the sizzle reel. It doesn't deserve eye-grabbing attention.

LOL I assume what has happened:
So he applied for a bigger showcase at the Indie World, but Nintendo decided against it, because of whatever reason. So Blow got pissed and decided to finally announce the game release without mentioning Nintendo. Sounds like a classic move by him.
There’s no evidence of this.

The Anniversary Edition doubles the amount of levels in the game? Woah. It's like a remake and sequel all in one.

Last edited:
A few years ago I bought a book on Buddhism (a topic I'm interested in) off of Amazon because it was on sale and it was a Top seller. When the book came and I started reading it, I good massive bad vibes. The first chapter was called "taking the red pill" and the author was talking about The Matrix in a Buddhism book for some reason. It got me so off-put I just never read on even before finishing the first chapter. Mind you, this was before it was known just how much The Matrix had been captured as an allegory for something it was not - before this distortion was made mainstream.

A few years later I decided to give the book another shot. No dice - I get the same bad vibes that something's off, but I decide to trudge a little more. At a point, I realize the author misgendered the directors of the movie and decide to check the original date of publishing. It was on purpose. I decide to check on the author online, and lo and behold: vaccine denier, tinfoil-hat wearer, nonsense spouter on his own podcast with his lunatic guests. Even before knowing anything about him, I just thought something was up.

I thought about giving the book away or just forgetting it somewhere, so someone may make better use than me, but for some reason that just doesn't feel right. So I decide to keep it. I can see it right now. I use it as a doorstep, or sometimes, such as right now, just to make my fan aim just a little bit higher.

IMG-20240322-012341874.jpg

I just wanted to read some fucking Buddhism, man.

I always thought Braid was very boring (even back then) and I don't think it would have been so popular had it been released in some other timeframe. I really think it had timing on his side and I do not see it being considered as groundbreaking or even lauded had it been first released now. Music's good, though.

Blow's a talentless hack on my eyes. Guess I'm just lucky that I rarely like stuff people who end up being weird nutjobs create. (It may happen sometimes, though, but it's rare)

A few years ago I bought a book on Buddhism (a topic I'm interested in) off of Amazon because it was on sale and it was a Top seller. When the book came and I started reading it, I good massive bad vibes. The first chapter was called "taking the red pill" and the author was talking about The Matrix in a Buddhism book for some reason. It got me so off-put I just never read on even before finishing the first chapter. Mind you, this was before it was known just how much The Matrix had been captured as an allegory for something it was not - before this distortion was made mainstream.

A few years later I decided to give the book another shot. No dice - I get the same bad vibes that something's off, but I decide to trudge a little more. At a point, I realize the author misgendered the directors of the movie and decide to check the original date of publishing. It was on purpose. I decide to check on the author online, and lo and behold: vaccine denier, tinfoil-hat wearer, nonsense spouter on his own podcast with his lunatic guests. Even before knowing anything about him, I just thought something was up.

I thought about giving the book away or just forgetting it somewhere, so someone may make better use than me, but for some reason that just doesn't feel right. So I decide to keep it. I can see it right now. I use it as a doorstep, or sometimes, such as right now, just to make my fan aim just a little bit higher.

IMG-20240322-012341874.jpg

I just wanted to read some fucking Buddhism, man.

I always thought Braid was very boring (even back then) and I don't think it would have been so popular had it been released in some other timeframe. I really think it had timing on his side and I do not see it being considered as groundbreaking or even lauded had it been first released now. Music's good, though.

Blow's a talentless hack on my eyes. Guess I'm just lucky that I rarely like stuff people who end up being weird nutjobs create. (It may happen sometimes, though, but it's rare)
Braid's success was definitely a case of "right place, right time."

35 new levels or not, still not giving a penny to that far-right hack. And hoping that another rapper will take advantage of this re-release to make fun of the game and make Blow cry once again.

You could just not buy his games, you know.

You can call Jonathan Blow a grade A Jackass, but his games are still amazing regardless of him as a person.
Yeah, I especially like when he supports alt-right groups.
Just support the games, not the artist. This way, your money totally doesn't get into his pocket so he can fund assholes.

Totally makes sense if you totally don't think about it !

Can't buy day 1 full price, but Braid is a really unique puzzle platformer and I'll happily take more.

I never quite got the notion as to why Braid is considered this super artistic game/one of the "Games Are Art Now" games. Don't get me wrong, it's a competent platformer, but I never got why it was one of the hallmarks of early indie games (plus Jonathan Blow showed his ass in Indie Game: the Movie, but the only indie dev in that documentary who didn't come out looking like an ass was Edmund McMillen).

Is it purely because of the twist at the end? If so, that's... kinda weak. Questioning protagonist centered morality on its own already goes back pretty much to the SNES days but even for more recent to Braids release, you had things like the Sorrow fight in MGS3 (or really, the entire framing of MGS as a whole.)

I never quite got the notion as to why Braid is considered this super artistic game/one of the "Games Are Art Now" games. Don't get me wrong, it's a competent platformer, but I never got why it was one of the hallmarks of early indie games (plus Jonathan Blow showed his ass in Indie Game: the Movie, but the only indie dev in that documentary who didn't come out looking like an ass was Edmund McMillen).

Is it purely because of the twist at the end? If so, that's... kinda weak. Questioning protagonist centered morality on its own already goes back pretty much to the SNES days but even for more recent to Braids release, you had things like the Sorrow fight in MGS3 (or really, the entire framing of MGS as a whole.)
You forgot the biggest art house reason why this game got early clout (epilogue spoilers)The princess is the atom bomb and the secret ending where she explodes and kills all other humans.

To be honest I bounced off Braid pretty hard because I found it insufferably pretentious, which then made complete sense after Blow opened his mouth. He's a dullard.

It really just is that. It's not that good or deep, and if you really stop to think about it for more than a few minutes things get messy. It came as an indie from a guy like Blow during a time period where people were really desperate for games to be taken more seriously. I'm not really gonna blame anybody for falling for that hype back then, but looking at it critically these days it's so pretentious and shitty. Reading the text of this game in contrast with Blow's current worldviews should also set off multiple alarm bells.

There's not much else to it. It's just the aesthetic of being artsy, an indie "auteur". and having a widely publicized release at a specific time period where certain parts of gaming press were really desperate for that kind of validation. There's admittedly some cute level/puzzle design in there to make it stick as an okay game people will wanna check out, but everything else about it is pretty rancid and weak.

I had no idea Blow was behind The Witness lol Luckily, I didn't pay for it, I got it for free from Sony during the pandemics. It's a good game, but you can see something's off and maybe the devs were a bit too far into their own asses. Now it's all explained.

Last edited:
Staff Post
Staff Communication
Hello everyone, it has come to our attention that the creator of Braid, Jonathan Blow, is tied to alt right groups, and has constantly shown himself to be a misogynist and a bigot. We are requesting the community's input about how Famiboards should handle Jonathan Blow and his works in the Moderation Feedback thread. Thank you for your time. - ngpdrew, Tangerine Cookie, Zellia, VolcanicDynamo, BassForever, Lord Azrael, Dardan Sandiego, Party Sklar, big lantern ghost

Staff Communication
Jonathon Blow, the lead developer of Braid, has made strong sexist statements and has embraced harmful far right views and ideas. Please do not be dismissive to anyone who has rightful concerns about Blow as a person.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom