• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News "Braid, Anniversary Edition" coming to PC and consoles on April 30th (UPDATE: 35 new levels, see threadmarks)

ITSMILNER

Tingle
it'd be super weird if it was. PC and Switch are generally where indies do best, and I can't imagine the Switch couldn't handle this.

Maybe they're holding off for something like an indie world or that advent calendar thing they did last year to re-confirm a Switch version

Maybe an indie world reveal?
Yeah, I‘m pretty sure Nintendo has very strong “if you want to be in this video presentation of ours, you cannot announce your Switch version before we do” clauses in their contracts.

Not surprising at all, Blow doesn't like Nintendo at all. I believe when asked about the Witness on Switch he said "why? there's no need".

Nothing of value is lost. Jonathan Blow is a grade A jackass and I don't want to support him.

Not surprising at all, Blow doesn't like Nintendo at all. I believe when asked about the Witness on Switch he said "why? there's no need".

Nothing of value is lost. Jonathan Blow is a grade A jackass and I don't want to support him.

You could just not buy his games, you know.

You can call Jonathan Blow a grade A Jackass, but his games are still amazing regardless of him as a person.

Back in 2020, Braid Anniversary Edition was announced, Nintendo Switch was one of the platforms

https://mynintendonews.com/2020/08/07/braid-anniversary-edition-announced-for-nintendo-switch/

Today, a new trailer dropped, the game finally arrives next April on PlayStation, Xbox, PC, IOS and Android…….Nintendo Switch not mentioned at all

Looks like the Switch version has been canned, possibly due to it coming to Switch 2 instead? Who knows.

I don't see why a small Indie should skip the Switch, you can expect best sales on the Switch, so its ridiculous, if they would skip the Switch. Braid should work absolutly fine in Full HD on the Switch. No, if then, it is because they have a deal with Nintendo and not allowed to disclose it. Of course, a 4K version for Switch 2 could be the reason, but could be also just simply that Nintendo dictates the announcements for their system.

braid is one of my favorite games of all time, really sad that this release is skipping switch. guess i can play the mac version later.

very excited about the new world, don't really care about the commentary stuff.

a Hat in Time's dev was also dismissive of a Switch port but they gave in eventually

it could be either the developer doesn't care for Nintendo and avoids releasing on Nintendo hardware. Or Nintendo is saving it for an indie reveal. Having a feelings its the former rather than the latter

We're well into the zone of "X game not announced for Switch could be because it's coming to Switch 2" -- impossible to say before Switch 2 is actually revealed.

nothing of any value lost. blow sucks and braid is overrated garbo lol

this video is the most valuable thing that braid has given this world. soulja boy told him.

Jonathan Blow hates Nintendo with a passion, maybe something to do with it. I still remember the video he uploaded where he was playing Botw and he was struggling or pretend to be struggling with the easiest puzzles while criticizing how bad the game is. Really bizarre.
I haven't played Braid, but The Witness is a masterpiece and it's sad that it's not on Switch.

Jonathan Blow hates Nintendo with a passion, maybe something to do with it. I still remember the video he uploaded where he was playing Botw and he was struggling or pretend to be struggling with the easiest puzzles while criticizing how bad the game is. Really bizarre.
I haven't played Braid, but The Witness is a masterpiece and it's sad that it's not on Switch.
dude also had the most fucked setup imaginable. setting up a camera in front of his tv with a lot of glare and the thing not even being centered lmao

a Hat in Time's dev was also dismissive of a Switch port but they gave in eventually
A Hat in Time devs actually love Nintendo but probably didn't think the port would be technically possible.

Blow is more similar to Phil Fish, creator of Fez. Fish also hated Nintendo because Nintendo didn't make the whatever games he wanted. I don't know the Blow's deal with Nintendo but I'd guess he has a similar reason to "hate" Nintendo. Mario's influence on Braid is clear as a day, something he always denies.

yeah yeah he’s a jackass but I still want the damn game

the thing is, if he wanted to be a dick about it, he never would have announced it for Switch in the first place. it’s clear that at minimum an effort was made — you don’t drop a trailer with a logo unless you think you can do something and intend to

things can change — he may have decided to be more of a dick about it later

but right now we’re just guessing. it was announced for Switch. we don’t really know if it’s cancelled yet or not. a big tbd.

as such I feel we need more question marks in the title. twenty should be fine

to clarify my stance here, Blow’s a dick and Braid is mid

but I have fond memories of playing it

and I’d like to play it again

on Switch

I believe when asked about the Witness on Switch he said "why? there's no need".
I played The Witness on my phone (a miserable experience of an otherwise pretty good game) because the only console I had in 2020 was a Switch. I get that the dude is probably set for life, money-wise, but it's a stupid business decision above all else. It would sell probably another half-million copies.

That indie documentary surely chose to highlight the best of the best...

I still think Phil Fish has the upper hand over him.

Played Braid when the hype surrounding it was fresh.

I didn't think it was worth the buzz. And I don't think we're missing out on a proper masterpiece with it not coming to Switch.

EDIT: disregard, Blow fucking sucks

look I am 100% not a person who separates artist from art because I think that’s horseshit

but like Blow’s main thing is he’s a pretentious dick and doesn’t stop talking about it

on my heirarchy of fucked up shit, he only really makes it to the “annoying” tier — barring any truly horrible reveals

and like… realistically, y’all know how fucking annoying and opinionated I am

if my game blows up — which frankly, I hope it doesn’t — I’m sure chatter about me and every chaotic take I’ve ever posted on Famiboards dot com would likely paint a picture of me as a pretentious dick

let alone the inherent hate I’d draw for being non-binary, trans, and femme

I would absolutely not want to be as public as Blow — and he’s certainly trying to appear as an authority in the field, which I absolutely wouldn’t do — but I’m sure no matter how much I try to hide, the internet would do what the internet does

ANYWAYS — point being — you can totally hate him because he’s a dick. but I’m a little… hmm. the insistence that it shouldn’t be on the platform seems… idk

Last edited:
like we don’t even know if the title of this thread is true

EDIT: but ignore the rest, because Blow fucking sucks

and everyone’s chiming in with “good riddance”

it’s not like there’s a “masterpiece” requirement to be on the Switch, lmao

and if we’re stacking up sins I would much sooner have large franchise games that directly support influential TERFs be completely destroyed than bury Jonathan Blow in a hole for weeny weeny white boys

Last edited:
Shame, wanted to give the game a proper playthrough. Only played a few levels on a friend’s 360 but found it a good time. Although learning about the guy was quite the trip. Dude is something else

EDIT: also disregard, Blow fucking sucks

none of this is in defense of Blow either, I’m just a little… ehh on the swift response

I’m also not trying to critique critique whatsoever because you bet I’ll shout about anything and usually be the odd one out

but Braid is absolutely one of those historical indie games

which doesn’t mean it’s great! I certainly have some harsh takes on the story! but it is interesting and it was formative

and frankly when making a game seemed impossible, especially if you were just some kid, and like there was no “in” for small games — it marked a turning point, one that meant something to me, that maybe wanting to make a game wasn’t some dead thing I buried behind the shed because what’s the point — that there could be room, and that it wasn’t pointless

I just think the idea that there’s no place for it on Switch, regardless of whether they cancelled the Switch version or not, is tepid at best

even if Blow’s a dick and Braid weighs less than the ego it chains

Last edited:
@Suswave It's cool that there are people who have been inspired by its success, but my attitude towards it is more like "yeah whatever, if it comes, fine, if not, also fine". I don't have the energy to actually properly "hate" it.

Yeah

I don’t wanna start any political discussions, but there are plenty of terrible people who make great art
It is rare that terrible people make great art. There are a lot of great people who make great art, no one needs someone like the Braid developers work for entertainment.

on my heirarchy of fucked up shit, he only really makes it to the “annoying” tier

i mean, he got pretty into covid trutherism back in 2020, got into some anti vax shit too and has said things like 'women are biologically less interested in getting into tech fields' lol

hes a little above annoying i think

edit; for posterity i figured itd be good to at least source these claims

(^this ones a thread)

Last edited:
i mean, he got pretty into covid trutherism back in 2020, got into some anti vax shit too and has said things like 'women are biologically less interested in getting into tech fields' lol

hes a little above annoying i think

edit; for posterity i figured itd be good to at least source these claims

(^this ones a thread)

LMAO okay yeah

Fuck Jonathan Blow

appreciate the update

it's extremely funny that the one and only time I wonder if someone's not as bad as the perception of them, they whip their whole ass out to prove they're worse

it's extremely funny that the one and only time I wonder if someone's not as bad as the perception of them, they whip their whole ass out to prove they're worse
f38.png

I seem to be in the minority here that thought Braid was actually really cool. But I'm also not dying to play it on Switch again tbh :D

Staff Communication
Jonathon Blow, the lead developer of Braid, has made strong sexist statements and has embraced harmful far right views and ideas. Please do not be dismissive to anyone who has rightful concerns about Blow as a person.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom