• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Are you going to be getting Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown?

Are you getting Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown?

• Total voters

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
prince-of-persia-the-lost-crown-gameplay-HD-scaled.jpg

The first game I ever played in my life was the original Prince of Persia, on MS DOS. I got hooked right away, and thus began my tryst with a medium that I continue to be a huge fan of to this day.

Now, almost 14 years after the last (awesome, worth playing, and alarmingly underrated) entry in the series, The Forgotten Sands, we have a brand new Prince of Persia game launching. This is a 2D side scrolling game, in the tradition of the original Prince of Persia games, plus the amazing Sands of Time GBA game. It's a metroidvania (one of my favorite genres!), and it appears to be an incredibly great one. The reviews are glowing. The hype is palpable.

14 years later, one of my favorite franchises is back, and I am so excited for it! Prince of Persia has always had unfortunate timing and poor marketing - Sands of Time was great but came out in a crowded year where it never got the chance to perform as much as it could and should have. Prince of Persia 2008 was a great game that was poorly handled and marketed, which, again, caused it to get overlooked. The Forgotten Sands is an incredible game (special shout out to the excellent Wii version!), one that was barely marketed at all, and when it was, shown off more as a middling tie in for a mediocre movie than a new, original entry into the canon that was as good as it was.

Even The Lost Crown suffered from it - Ubisoft has completely failed to market this game appropriately, and in fact, the original few showings off the game may have outfight turned a lot of people off from it. But for me, this game is our time to put up or shut up - it's a mid tier, narrower focus, high polished, and extremely high quality multiplatform production from a third party publisher that prioritizes quality and content, and has been received so well. I am very excited to jump in, and because of what it might mean for the broader market, I am hoping enough other people follow me in taking the plunge too.

What about you, Fami? Are you hyped for Lost Crown? Are you going to get it?

I'll get it at some point on Xbox when the price drops. I've learned my lesson about buying Ubisoft games at full price.

I'm looking forward to this one, but not enough to have to get it right away, especially with my current backlog. Ubisoft games tend to be available at 50% off a couple of months after release, so I can wait.

I’ve got the Switch version preordered! It’s rare that I go with the Switch for third-party games these days, but it was the lead platform for development, and it just feels right.

Already got it, icon is waiting to be unlocked on Switch menu.
Yes, on Switch, probably next month when it's down to $30
Don't forget, only the Ubi games with DLC got discounts too fast, just to make money on DLC. I don't think this one will discounted that fast if Ubi isn't planning any DLC. We'll find out soon enough.

Debating picking it up at launch or waiting a bit, but yeah I intend to try it out on Switch. Should mention I’ve never played a Prince of Persia game, but I’m definitely intrigued.

Already downloaded it on my switch. Even though I could play it on a "better" console I prefer having the possibility of playing it portable

Almost definitely gonna get it on Switch, eventually

As excited as I am for this game, I'd kinda feel like a schmuck paying $50 for it now knowing it's pretty much a sure thing that it'll hit $30 by late spring/early summer

Of course, already preordered!

Would be a great signal to the industry if this game succeeds tbh.
Yep! I preordered for that reason. Even though I'm sure it'll hit good sale prices not long after launch, I want Prince of Persia and these types of "smaller" single-player games to be seen as in demand by Ubisoft and other publishers.

As for version, I'm getting it on Switch because the quality seems to hold up quite well against the other platform versions. I did encounter some weird slowdown during gameplay in the demo that I hope isn't too common in the full game.

Already playing it via Ubisoft+ on Steam Deck, since that comes with the three day early access

I'm actually in a vaguely similar boat in that the first game I remember playing was an old 2D Prince of Persia (no idea which one though, and I feel like I played it on a flip phone so no idea if that was even a legit version or not). Haven't had much interaction with the series since, but I'm always down for a slick looking Metroidvania and the demo lived up to my expectations there

Leaning towards no, but maybe eventually.

I loved Rayman Legends/Origins though so maybe this would be a good one to get on sale in a few years.

Eventually, yes. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown looks really fun. There’s no need for me to buy this on release day though given my current gaming habits. Very rarely to games leapfrog to the top of my playlist.

I really want it, but I do want to make more progress on my backlog. I also have Another Code recollection already downloaded, so that may just be my only new "big" game of the month.

Will get it on Switch, just unsure when. The demo really felt good, but again I am trying to clean out some of my backlog.

Definitely yes, but I’ll wait for a sale. Looks super slick and fun but very few games I buy day 1 nowadays.

I pre-ordered the deluxe version for that early access, so I’ve already been playing it!

I REALLY want game publishers to learn that this kind of game can be successful. Also I want to support more games having interesting localization choices! This game’s got a full Persian/Farsi dub (as the wonderful @mazi detailed here) and loc which I immediately deployed to give the game an authentically Persian identity. It’s wonderful! More of this, please!

Yes, on Switch
But it's a Ubisoft game and, as just said in the Mario + Rabbids topic, I will wait (probably just until mid February) for a sale

The demo has put me off a bit from the game, it has the same overload of inane dialogue that plagued Pikmin 4 for every little interaction. There were also many empty rooms, I felt like I was just walking forward without doing anything a lot of the time. It looks like a cool game but I'm not seeing the huge appeal many are touting. In the balance of presentation-gameplay it leans too much towards the presentation side for my liking.

I'll probably get it later down the road with a discount for Switch.

the demo did not do it for me aesthetically, and I still need to play hollow knight, so I'll miss this one probably

Yes, on the Switch, but I'll wait for a good discount.

The game really does look amazing on the Switch(have to play the demo to see it in my hands btw), and the gameplay, mechanics and scenarios are really my thing. I love platformers, this one reminds me of Metroid Dread in its combat system, the story looks good and it looks meaty and unique.

I was going to buy that terrible Sands of Time remake just to show Ubisoft someone still cared about the franchise so you better believe I’m going to buy a game that actually looks good.

(on Switch)

I will get it later (switch), January is getting back to routine and Another Code already has my purchase of the month. But I am excited to play it when I get to it, the demo was fun.

Getting it on PC for Steam Deck oled and cheaper price even if a physical Switch version was tempting, could always get it later for way cheaper.

Yep, day one on Switch. I need games like this. We need games like this.

Yes, on Switch.
Broke my own rule of not preordering anything that's not Nintendo for this game. After the demo, I'm even more excited.

My only lament for not getting it at launch is trying to be more fiscally responsible with my impulse purchases, but goddamn that demo sold me.

Very excited to dive in when I can; I'll bite when it first goes on sale but if it doesn't happen before May I'll grab it full price

Yep - pre-ordered on Switch.

I knew from the very first trailer that this was a game for me, and once the reviews dropped it was all but cemented.

Eventually, there's no rush given that it's a Ubisoft game. Gonna wait for a sale, feels like a likely Game Pass add too.

Eventually. When the Ubisoft deep discount happens or if it looks like it'll go out of print. No rush to get it right now.

It is already waiting for me on my Switch! It is very high on my backlog, I hope I'll find time to finish it this month right away!

Preordered for Switch with a 5€ coupon for the grand total of 44,99 which imho is a great deal for a 20h+ game.

Originally I was going to wait a bit but still try to buy it at full price - I've bought a lot of video games lately so I'd feel bad already plopping down more money for another near full priced game.

However after playing the demo, I'm starting to think it might be better as a wait for sale release. Not to say it doesn't seem fun, it does, but there's a couple of things that as a fan of the genre felt off. The general polish level is nowhere near something like Dread which is kind of ridiculous given Ubisoft's resources, the weight of animations just seemed a bit off and most of the combat and movement wasn't really satisfying. The platforming towards the end of the demo was definitely pretty fun, so I'm looking forward to that as there's not many Metroidvanias that actually have good platforming. I'm not really a fan of a lot of the stylistic choices either - the menus feel generic, the music is just whatever (that Dread inspiration tho) and the lighting is pretty bad in the cutscenes, it definitely doesn't do 2.5D as well as you'd hope for. As someone who's more of a fan of traditional Metroid-likes than Igavanias I'm still somewhat excited that the game seems to take a decent amount after the Castlevania games, it's nice to indulge in that kind of junk food every once in a while. Seems like a fine 7.5/10 game that might get better as it goes on, but not something worth plopping $50 down immediately.

I really enjoyed the demo, but I've made one of my resolutions this year to catch up on my backlog, so this will have to wait.

i made it a goal of mine to finish 3 or 4 back log games before I buy myself a new game. Finishing up kid Icarus uprising now, then it’s something from my ps5/4 backlog, then prime remastered on switch. Only then will I allow myself to buy a new game, and that will probably be 7 rebirth. That being said I do want this game at some point, I just don’t want to do what I was doing which was buying almost every major new release and barely touching it

Hey I liked the prince of persia movie lol. But anyway I'll pick it up eventually, played the demo and it was awesome. Currently playing SOT for the first time and it's great. I didn't finish it, but I do agree that forgotten sands (I played the wii verison) was a pretty solid game.

I got it preordered with the wild Best Buy B2G1 free Switch deal they had as I think the free game in that particular set of games I ordered. I thought it looked neat in the last Direct and it reviewed far better than I was expecting so I’m excited for it.

Y'all better get this game, or I'm going to blame every one of you if it gets Ubisoft'd and never gets a follow up (even though it's liable to get Ubisoft'd anyways)

Think I'm about 4-5 hours in and the game's just amazing in so many ways. Combat, traversal, and level design are just on point

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom