• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown supports Farsi/Persian localization and voice acting

mazi

picross pundit
i was just about to start the demo, and was really happy to see this. both the text and the voice acting in the game have been localized to farsi.

fYWRgyl.jpg

here's some footage of the game being played in farsi by an iranian youtuber:

there's a bug in the localization where some menu texts appear backwards, but the youtuber says he has contacted ubi and they said they're working to fix it in a patch.

this is only the second major western game i know of that has been localized to farsi (persian), the first one being darksiders 3. not only that, the game is fully dubbed in farsi as well. apparently this has been known for a while but i just found out and it was a really pleasant surprise. as an iranian gamer it kinda feels unreal to play a major game like this in my own language, i'm really happy that ubisoft has put in the work to do this.

Last edited:
It's very nice that they're making a true effort. I've always wondered how much truly "persian" these games really are in aesthetics, story, etc.

I played the demo yesterday and saw that! I was already pretty into the game but that was the awesome little touch that pushed me to just pre-order the game. I’m definitely playing with the Persian dub!

People love to hate on Ubisoft games but they don't get enough recognition for making a great amount of games with characters that aren't just white like 95% of the industry. This is pretty cool.

finished the demo, and i'm really impressed, kudos to ubi

• the localization is really well done. a small complaint i have is that they've gone with spoken farsi language in the text, but usually when you have an fantasy epic story to tell, formal language is used. but it's really no big deal.
  • the dub is also very good. i won't say it's excellent, but most of the characters are voiced really well.
  • now for the most important part, they've actually nailed the persian myths, aesthetics, and architecture. i haven't played much of the previous games, but from what i've seen, like 95% of western media trying to portrait persian culture, they mostly go for a blend of generic arabic/indian aesthetics and try to pass that off as persian by throwing in some surface level perisan mythology in there. but here everything seems persian through and through. the names, the myths, the story, the architecture, it all seems clearly inspired by ancient persia. it's all extremely impressive, the devs did their homework and it shows.
  • final note, the music. again, like the previous point, a lot of times you hear generic arabic music whenever western media depicts something in iran or ancient persia, but here the music is very clearly inspired by traditional and classical persian music. really impressed with the music as well.

oh wow, i kinda assumed that ubi had gotten iranian voice actors outside of iran to do the dub, because usually foreign companies don't like to do business here. but i'm now listening to a podcast that has one of the voice actors on as a guest, and they actually got a company here that publishes a lot of audio books to handle the dub. the voice actor says when he was hired for a prince of persia game, he thought it's gonna be like a bootleg unofficial dub of one of the old pop games, lol

also apparently the new alone in the dark game also has farsi subtitles, pretty cool

This is how the game should be played. I'll be playing it with Farsi dub for sure. I don't like Ubisoft, but this is one area that they do pretty well. Same with AC Mirage.

That's awesome. Can you play in Farsi with English subtitles? Because that would probably be how I want to try it.

Very cool. Would have been nice to have Dari as well, but you can't have everything :D.

I don't like Ubisoft, but this is one area that they do pretty well. Same with AC Mirage.

Yeah, for all the problems with the way ubisoft develops games and treats its workers, I don't think anyone can really fault them for putting in much more work on ensuring more accurate depictions of places ,people and cultures than many other studios would.

I was so confused seeing Arabic lettering and reading Safir at first before the coin dropped. Pretty cool that the game supports both.

Very cool. I've been learning Farsi for the gf's sake, but I'm nowhere near the ability to really understand it for something like this.

great article and interview from GI.biz

Regardless of the outcome, everyone I've spoken to believes that The Lost Crown is a massive step forward regarding the representation of Persian culture despite criticisms and certain issues. A popular title with a blond-haired main character, navigating an insultingly orientalist One-Thousand-And-One-Night-esque environment, and being Persian only in name, is now taking steps to represent the culture it's borrowing so much from and making hundreds of thousands off of.

Whether how successful it has been is another story but at least now, Persian people can finally enjoy a Prince of Persia game in their own language.

Last edited:
I've been playing in persian with english text, the VA is great and the game itself is excellent so far as well

Back
Top Bottom