• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Anyone else want botw 2 to be just a little more challenging after playing elden ring?

Like, the real issue is that Elden Ring and BOTW are great for completely different reasons and appeal to completely different people. Why do we want only one type of player to be happy? Why should people who enjoy BOTW over Elden Ring...be forced to only play Elden Ring?

No one is forced they can do it if they want, and if they do it and complete it they will also be rewarded
When you say "I should get a reward for doing X, there is usually a colloary of "If you don't do X, you will miss out". It's this design that makes open world games a hassle for some because they feel obligated to do something. BOTW's entire point is "You will not be punished if you do not do everything". That is it biggest draw. Now, I get it. For others, this isn't what they want but this is the sole reason why I ended up 100% BOTW because I ended up doing all that shit because I wasn't presssured to. What you're suggesting is to make it so I will fill obligated to do everything which ironically enough makes me not want to play it. BOTW respects my time and doesn't punish me when I just want to do a speedrun game. That is what makes BOTW a very good game.

When you say "I should get a reward for doing X, there is usually a colloary of "If you don't do X, you will miss out". It's this design that makes open world games a hassle for some because they feel obligated to do something. BOTW's entire point is "You will not be punished if you do not do everything". That is it biggest draw. Now, I get it. For others, this isn't what they want but this is the sole reason why I ended up 100% BOTW because I ended up doing all that shit because I wasn't presssured to. What you're suggesting is to make it so I will fill obligated to do everything which ironically enough makes me not want to play it. BOTW respects my time and doesn't punish me when I just want to do a speedrun game. That is what makes BOTW a very good game.
Nintendo makes a lot of games where you have to do things to get things and if you don’t do them you miss out and that’s not considered a punishment

An example of a punishment would be if you died in Mario and lost all the stars you found and you would have to find them again that would be a punishment, Nintendo games almost have no punishment now days, I’m not a fan of punishment either

Locked content is normal game design and is not a punishment, it’s used to encourage gameplay you normally wouldn’t do like collecting all stars in Mario

If you didn’t get anything for collecting all the stars a lot less people would do it because they would have no incentive to do it

I was originally planning to get all the seeds in botw at one point… until I saw what you got for it then I stopped looking immediately

Last edited:
Nintendo makes a lot of games where you have to do things to get things and if you don’t do them you miss out and that’s not considered a punishment

An example of a punishment would be if you died in Mario and lost all the stars you found and you would have to find them again that would be a punishment, Nintendo games almost have no punishment now days, I’m not a fan of punishment either

Locked content is normal game design and is not a punishment, it’s used to encourage gameplay you normally wouldn’t do like collecting all stars in Mario. If you didn’t get anything for collecting all the stars a lot less people would do it because they would have no incentive to do it

I was originally planning to get all the seeds in botw at one point… until I saw what you got for it then I stopped looking immediately
They do that less these days than before and, even then, usually, they weren't particularly punishing and still felt like fair challenges

Thank the Lord for that

...and a lot of folk aren't exactly fond of that as it's forcing you to do something you may otherwise not want to do. It's good that it's not forced on you these days

Considering the sheer amount of Korok Seeds in the game, even with a reward, I can't imagine wanting to do it and the game itself intends for you to only get enough so you can expand your weapons inventory enough no matter where you go. Having something tied to getting all of them would be tedious as opposed to the more casual and stress-free way it was implemented instead

Locked content is normal game design and is not a punishment, it’s used to encourage gameplay you normally wouldn’t do like collecting all stars in Mario

If you didn’t get anything for collecting all the stars a lot less people would do it because they would have no incentive to do it

This is the game's greatest strength. This is why a lot of people enjoyed it. Because everything is tied to personal enjoyment instead of a checklist, no one feels left out because they didn't get all the Korok Seeds. It's the game's greatest strength and weakness. You do not like that it does it...but I and many other do. This is why what you want isn't going so well with others. You want to take a fundamental part of BOTW and make it something else. You already have multiple games that do what you want. Why demand another game that doesn't to fit what you want? Why take away what others like about the game because you like another way? It ain't like both are in danger of going away anytime soon.

This is the game's greatest strength. This is why a lot of people enjoyed it. Because everything is tied to personal enjoyment instead of a checklist, no one feels left out because they didn't get all the Korok Seeds. It's the game's greatest strength and weakness. You do not like that it does it...but I and many other do. This is why what you want isn't going so well with others. You want to take a fundamental part of BOTW and make it something else. You already have multiple games that do what you want. Why demand another game that doesn't to fit what you want? Why take away what others like about the game because you like another way? It ain't like both are in danger of going away anytime soon.
I actually want zelda to be like what zelda originally was with the first game on nes and link to the past on snes, I didn’t really like any Zelda’s after those 2, botw was the closest but still just missed it

I would like a 3D open world version of 1 of those 2 games

Last edited:
I actually want zelda to be like what zelda originally was with the first game on nes and link to the past on snes, I didn’t really like any Zelda’s after those 2, botw was the closest but still just missed it

Well, if the only ones you liked was the first handful over 30 years ago, I don't think the franchise is gonna ever really be for you then

Also, OoT was more or less a 3D ALttP

It felt much more linear than link to past and esp zelda nes
Maybe but it was still essentially a 3D translation of the conventions, formula, characters and enemies, etc. from ALttP and I wouldn't exactly call ALttP very open either

But, really, the fact that it seems like the franchise more or less diverted from what you wanted like over 20 years ago kinda tells me that it's a series you should just leave behind

Last edited:
Maybe but it was still essentially a 3D translation of the conventions, formula, characters and enemies, etc. from ALttP and I wouldn't exactly call ALttP very open
I loved having to figure out where the dungeons were in zelda 1, like playing the flute to make the water go away or burning the bush to find another

So...what, people who want to play BOTW in BOTW 2 should...what...tough luck, you want your game?

Botw did that with some shrines but I want the main dungeons back, don’t use a guide that takes the fun away
No, not really. There's an indicator that starts beeping if you're near a shrine and the shrines stick out pretty strikingly so many of them could even be found from a peak or valley. Never mind that the Divine Beasts are clearly visible from afar and have their overall general location for eventually getting to rhem marked on your map. The NES Zelda games gave almost no direction or indication for anything, which is why I can't get into them. I have literally no clue on what to do so I have to turn to a guide otherwise the game is impossible. BotW's freedom while still offering a sense of direction is why I never needed to do that

I find Elden Ring to be amateurish compared to BOTW in nearly every respect. From a game design standpoint it falls short in so many ways that I'm puzzled that the gaming world is trying so hard to anoint it as its superior. The whole thing feels quite forced.
My guy, if you don't understand why people are so receptive to a pretty great game (despite it definitely having some issues), it's on you. "Forced" lol what. That comes across salty.

Last edited:
The funny thing about this discussion is that in general, I think if someone said the Zelda series could take some inspiration from the Souls games before Breath of the Wild, I wouldn't have disagreed. There's a lot of things about the Souls formula that I think could be really beneficial for more third person adventure games to copy. Things like:

• Almost every item being beneficial, even if they're optional. I really hate it in a JRPG/adventure game when you start essentially picking up items that you'll never use or even worse, don't seem like they'd ever be useful.
  • Pretty much every item is compelling within the context of the core gameplay. I've seen people in this thread put down the Souls games for just being combat-oriented, but really I think this is a big strength in making the world feel coherent. There are so many creative and cool items the series has had over the years that involve interacting with the core mechanics in some way, whether said mechanics be combat, restoration, leveling systems, or online capabilities. Really the only wasteful items in these titles are the mcguffins you have to get to progress the story, which is fairly inoffensive. Everything is cohesive.
  • The world is the "dungeon". You could argue Skyward Sword kind of sort of did this by making "regions" into dungeons of sorts, but it didn't do it in a meaningful way because the overworld was still separate from the regions, and the regions separate from the dungeons. Technically speaking, Breath of the Wild still has some ways to go with this since their efforts in making the divine beasts feel like part of the world is somewhat incomplete; you still can't enter them without triggering unique story events. But it still sort of incorporates this design philosophy because the core interactivity behind game mechanics are always relevant, the world is essentially a "dungeon".
  • Not guiding player exploration. While some Souls games are more linear than others, there's a lot of them that are essentially a more linear take on this design philosophy.
  • Online communities thriving off the self-discovery factor of the game. Maybe this is just me, but I think the note system in Souls games are fucking brilliant. They sort of ... de-stigmatize looking up information in these games. There's essentially a very thin barrier between using messages and using guides or asking for help. It opens up people to sharing secrets in a way older games used to do before the internet. Breath of the Wild is similar, albeit more with crazy physics discoveries revolving around its engine.
Notice how all of these points were more or less already addressed by Breath of the Wild? It's like the Zelda team thought of nearly every way they could improve upon the formula and just, did it.

I do think that there's an argument to be made that other franchises, probably unintentionally, started picking up on what people loved about Zelda as a franchise before Zelda itself did. Skyrim was like an evolution of the open-ended appeal of the original Legend of Zelda, it wasn't "non-linear" in terms of its main objectives but it dropped players into a world, immersed them, then essentially told them to go do whatever they wanted. The Souls games are almost like an evolution of the mystery and intrigue that makes up the original game, with all the difficulty to boot. You have invisible walls - albeit instead of asking your friends where they are you look at notes for guidance. You have multi-faceted design that isn't ever-expansive yet nevertheless allows the player to tackle parts of the world in different orders. You have a lot of ability to cheese parts of the game depending on your knowledge and equipment available. And you have minimal player guidance.

I have to wonder if Breath of the Wild was at all inspired by the Souls games or something like Monster Hunter, because a lot of the appeal I found in these games pre-BOTW is part of why I like Breath of the Wild so much. As far as I know, the team has mostly commented on the Skyrim and Minecraft inspiration instead.

I think taking "funny" so literally is your issue. Feels like I'm in a Goodfellas scene.
This is either a very weird misread of my posts or of that Goodfellas scene. I was just wondering why you brought up some unrelated discussion you might have seen or maybe had with other people in response to that particular post. But I guess there was neither any deeper meaning to it nor some underlying humour I was missing.

This is either a very weird misread of my posts or of that Goodfellas scene. I was just wondering why you brought up some unrelated discussion you might have seen or maybe had with other people in response to that particular post. But I guess there was neither any deeper meaning to it nor some underlying humour I was missing.
User says they don't need every game to be exactly like the one they just played, referring to Elden Ring (which is totally fair, and valid, to be clear). In response, I note the fact that there's a portion of BotW's fanbase that ask for other games to take stuff (that being the free climbing, lack of waypoints, physics system, or whatever the case may be) from BotW, even yeeeeears out from that game's release, when the same "not every game needs to be like Souls" can be applied. Hence, not every game needs to be like BotW. On a purely personal level, I'm not the biggest fan of the game, so I'd prefer it if folks stopped asking for other games to conform to its template.

It's really no deeper than that, and your hyperfixation on an innocuous, not even hostile, nor accusatory remark, is weird to me. "Funny" doesn't mean "haha loool!" funny, in this context. It's just a basic observation.

On a purely personal level, I'm not the biggest fan of the game, so I'd prefer it if folks stopped asking for other games to conform to its template.
You could have just said this from the beginning instead of taking three posts to write it out and then accusing me of "hyperfixating" on a remark when you won't give a straight answer about what you meant. Thanks for clarifying.

You could have just said this from the beginning instead of taking three posts to write it out and then accusing me of "hyperfixating" on a remark when you won't give a straight answer about what you meant. Thanks for clarifying.
You could've read between the lines, instead of fixating on the word "funny". I didn't expect bickering over that, but here we are. Have a nice one.

The majority of people already found Breath of the Wild harder than most Zelda games by virtue of being able to stumble into high damage enemies. On top of that, no I wouldn't want that anyway. I like the way that Breath of the Wild was Breath of the Wild.

Hm. I know Master Mode wasn't perfect, but it was pretty damn close to what I wanted. I enjoyed it for what it was for sure, and only play with it enabled.

I believe BOTW2 will have more challenge staff, but that does not mean it will be HARD

Let Souls games be souls, we known FromSoftware build these games with hard & challenge in their hearts

My guy, if you don't understand why people are so receptive to a pretty great game (despite it definitely having some issues), it's on you. "Forced" lol what. That comes across salty.
It's been incredibly forced from the start.

People trying to compare the games to put them on the same playing field (mostly Souls fans)... "the BOTW of Dark Souls". "Death of the Wild" ect.

I'm sorry... if I have to hear the unending comparisons and have that shit pushed down my throat I'm entitled to disagree.

It's Dark Souls with an open world. That's it. I'm not even sure if it's as good as Bloodborne as it's not as tight an experience nor is it paced as well.

It bares little resemblance to the incredibly interactive, sublimely polished sandbox experience that is BOTW.

Last edited:
Absolutely NOT. Like, don't even SAY that.

I barely made it through Thunderblight Ganon as it is. Like, the game was already plenty difficult as it is. If anything, I'd argue we need options to help the difficulty. Doing Thunderblight Ganon with my disabilities was absolutely not freaking fun. I honestly don't even know HOW I made it through that fight, because the whole thing was just absolutely aggravating because I don't have enough reaction time to handle some of the attacks and dodges.

We already have serious accessibility isuses with Souls/Soulslike games, do not suggest to add onto this with a fairly accessible series that arguably could do more to make it accessible.

I don't think it needs to be more challenging. But if it doesn't think it can be as big a deal as Eldin Ring I think they should delay it again until it is

The game having you use almost infinite consumable items from the menu screen at will is also a poor design choice. It neglects damage and stamina, making upgrading them essentially useless. In theory there's a cap with how much you can carry but you'll most likely never hit that.

People trying to compare the games to put them on the same playing field (mostly Souls fans)... "the BOTW of Dark Souls". "Death of the Wild" ect.

I'm sorry... if I have to hear the unending comparisons and have that shit pushed down my throat I'm entitled to disagree.

I doubt Nintendo is even looking to Elden Ring to compare notes. That's what Fromsoft was doing when they were looking BOTW as their inspiration.
stop-it-get-some-help.gif

It's Dark Souls with an open world. That's it. I'm not even sure if it's as good as Bloodborne as it's not as tight an experience nor is it paced as well.

It bares little resemblance to the incredibly interactive, sublimely polished sandbox experience that is BOTW.
Cool, you're head over heels in love with BotW, and are upset that a decent number of people consider ER the better game. I get it. There are also those that don't have a high opinion of BotW at all, though. Those that tried BotW, and never really connected with it (whether that be thanks to weapons that break every 5 minutes, 4 enemy types on repeat, the open world being mainly Korok Seeds, or a number of other grievances).

Different strokes for different folks. It's just... it's barely been a month of people giving Elden Ring some love. It's been 5 years of Breath of the Wild circlejerk. Who here is really having things pushed down their throat? 🤣 C'mon, man.

(Also, just so that we're not in complete opposition: I do totally agree with you about Elden Ring not matching Bloodborne. In my friend group, I usually lean the most negative on ER. It's still a solid game, though, imo.)

Last edited:
I doubt Nintendo is even looking to Elden Ring to compare notes. That's what Fromsoft was doing when they were looking BOTW as their inspiration.
But you just said it was merely an open world Dark Souls that bears little resemblance to BotW. I agree with that, to be clear, but now you're saying FromSoft took inspiration from BotW? I'm confused.

I don't see much that the two games have in common, outside of their core design philosophy that the player should be allowed to explore and stumble upon things organically, rather than have their hand held, and be bombarded with quest icons. That's kinda what the Souls games have always done, though. They've never implemented anything like quest logs, or overt signposting.

Cool, you're head over heels in love with BotW, and are upset that a decent number of people consider ER the better game. I get it. There are also those that don't have a high opinion of BotW at all, though. Those that tried BotW, and never really connected with it (whether that be thanks to weapons that break every 5 minutes, 4 enemy types on repeat, the open world being mainly Korok Seeds, or a number of other grievances).

Different strokes for different folks. It's just... it's barely been a month of people giving Elden Ring some love. It's been 5 years of Breath of the Wild circlejerk. Who here is really having things pushed down their throat? 🤣 C'mon, man.

(Also, just so that we're not in complete opposition: I do totally agree with you about Elden Ring not matching Bloodborne. In my friend group, I usually lean the most negative on ER. It's still a solid game, though, imo.)
Ehh...you're not quite so different yourself with seemingly not being cool with folk loving BotW and needing to constantly talk about not liking the game or finding it overrated or whatever. I sure wouldn't call most of the discussion of BotW a circlejerk, at least nothing compared to what Souls games receive, especially when the same people who don't like the game keep going on and on about it for over 5 years

Ehh...you're not quite so different yourself with seemingly not being cool with folk loving BotW and needing to constantly talk about not liking the game or finding it overrated or whatever. I sure wouldn't call most of the discussion of BotW a circlejerk, at least nothing compared to what Souls games receive, especially when the same people who don't like the game keep going on and on about it for over 5 years
So we're going in circles, I guess? Alright. All this conversation demonstrates is that people are willing to look at the overwhelming praise for their preferred game, and say it's fair and good, while the heavy praise another popular, beloved game gets is just too much.

It's just... well, I'm not the one in here acting like Elden Ring is an undisputed masterpiece, or that it's "forced" that anyone could consider Breath of the Wild to be the superior game. I'm not the one saying people are trying to push stuff down my throat. I'm not the one miffed at a month of a game's praise, versus 5 years of it. You should probably respond to that poster's remarks first, but I'll assume you agree with him, and don't find anything crazy with the praise he's giving BotW (plus the downplaying of ER), which is why we're just gonna keep going in circles.

It's a circlejerk if it's a game we don't like. If it's a game we do like, we typically join in on calling it a gift from the gods themselves! Funny how it all works.

So we're going in circles, I guess? Alright. All this conversation demonstrates is that people are willing to look at the overwhelming praise for their preferred game, and say it's fair and good, while the heavy praise another popular, beloved game gets is just too much.

It's just... well, I'm not the one in here acting like Elden Ring is an undisputed masterpiece, or that it's "forced" that anyone could consider Breath of the Wild to be the superior game. I'm not the one saying people are trying to push stuff down my throat. I'm not the one miffed at a month of a game's praise, versus 5 years of it. You should probably respond to that poster's remarks first, but I'll assume you agree with him, and don't find anything crazy with the praise he's giving BotW (plus the downplaying of ER), which is why we're just gonna keep going in circles.

It's a circlejerk if it's a game we don't like. If it's a game we do like, we typically join in on calling it a gift from the gods themselves! Funny how it all works.
Well, if I did agree with him, I'd have liked his post about how Elden Ring being beloved is forced or the game is amateurish or whatever instead of your response to him so, no, not really. Most folk who like any game are generally just normal people and don't post on gaming forums :p

But you do make passive aggressive marks against BotW here and there and always knock it down whenever you're making any comment on it. It's really not any different from Kreese is doing with Elden Ring. Also it's not just a month of Elden Ring being praised. This goes back to 2011 with Dark Souls, where a minority but very vocal subsection of the fanbase always put the games on a pedestal and knocked other games down for not being the same thing or offering something similar, from Zelda to Elder Scrolls to The Witcher and so on, and defending them against any and all criticism by shielding it as From Software's artistic vision or integrity, a defense I never see for any other game or series despite being no less valid there. That's what I mean when I say whatever circlejerk BotW has is nothing compared to what the Souls games get

Let's just agree that trying to figure out which game is more circle-jerked isn't going to solve anything. It's impossible and a pointless exercise, both games are very beloved within gaming circles.

Yeah I don't think so. I've seen hundreds of people online make it a point to compare these games to death and express why they think Elden Ring is better. I'm allowed to offer a counter opinion.

But you just said it was merely an open world Dark Souls that bears little resemblance to BotW. I agree with that, to be clear, but now you're saying FromSoft took inspiration from BotW? I'm confused.

I don't see much that the two games have in common, outside of their core design philosophy that the player should be allowed to explore and stumble upon things organically, rather than have their hand held, and be bombarded with quest icons. That's kinda what the Souls games have always done, though. They've never implemented anything like quest logs, or overt signposting.
Didn't they admit to using BOTW for inspiration? They borrowed some things but From is not capable of delivering something with the same polish and complexity of the chemistry engine or a fully interactive world. That's not to say that Elden Ring should have been that, but if we're talking about higher complexity world design, BOTW is still the pinnacle.

I feel BOTW really delivers by making the world itself alive and not just a backdrop to the combat. I find Rockstar is also really good with this, but the traversal in the on-foot segments of their open worlds usually feels half baked and the mission structure of their games is too linear.

It's not about whether somebody likes BOTW or Elden Ring more. I can see people liking the Souls inspired worlds more, but if you're going to compare them from a open world design and traversal point of view, Elden Ring really only does the basics of what BOTW does, and the rest of the game is just Dark Souls. I don't see any reasonable argument that the open world itself is in any way comparable to BOTW's depth, though I don't fault people for preferring the darker tone and more difficult combat in Elden Ring. It's just a matter of taste.

My last encounter with him on this site he was bashing the graphics in Metroid Dread and somebody warned me that he was one of "those" posters.

Last edited:
I quite like BotW's difficulty as is (until the late game anyway) but I'm definitely in favour of more challenging and more interestingly designed boss fights. playing Metroid Dread and even the damage-less runs of Kirby's boss fights has been a ton of fun for me and I would love to see more of that in Nintendo's games going forwards

I really like the Lynel enemy type in BOTW and would like to see more challenging enemy types like that. The difficulty itself is very well scaled.

Back
Top Bottom