• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Anyone else waiting to play TotK on Switch Redacted?

I already know how this is going to go down.

I'm probably going to buy the game, play it for an hour or so, be disgusted by its performance and wonder why I bought it to begin with, consider emulating it but won't because I still haven't with other Switch games, wait for Nintendo's next console, potentially have to buy the game again, and finally play it for a few more hours (potentially still disappointed with its performance) until moving on to the next game.

What's even the point then?

I'm probably going to buy the game, play it for an hour or so, be disgusted by its performance and wonder why I bought it to begin with, consider emulating it but won't because I still haven't with other Switch games, wait for Nintendo's next console, potentially have to buy the game again, and finally play it for a few more hours (potentially still disappointed with its performance) until moving on to the next game.
you sound exactly like a commenter on r/Games

maybe on master mode

Coming back to the thread to say this. Since we obviously aren’t seeing any signs of it releasing end of year and I’d rather not wait till the internet starts treating the entire experience like assumed knowledge.

Master Mode, and hopefully DLC on Redacted

you sound exactly like a commenter on r/Games
It’s such silly comment, from what I heard Nintendo realsed a patch for totk yesterday which made it run pretty well

Though why realese a patch 7 days before realese still confuses me? Did they just decide to use the pirates as like beta testers lmao.

Just don't buy the game and save us all the earache

Absolutely not. This honestly might be the most excited I’ve ever been to play a new game and I’ve been playing games for over 35 years at this point. The next five days are going to be slow as hell and my work day on Friday is going to be pure torture. I’ll deal with 30fps with some dips.

Hell no. The only thing that would stop me if is the performance is unplayablely bad for me, and I don't see that happening.

I don't care, I will start right away and it's possible that by the time new switch comes I'll still have not finished it.

I'll wait for reviews to decide. I still have plenty on my plate for now, and if the successor isn't announced by the end of the year I'll buy to on Switch. Unless I break before lol.

Though why realese a patch 7 days before realese still confuses me? Did they just decide to use the pirates as like beta testers lmao.
Pre-load starts 7 days before release. It makes sense, for multiple reasons, that they want the pre-load come already patched when possible.

Heck no. It was hell to dodge the leaks these past few days. I'm gonna play this to oblivion the second it becomes available.

Fuck no!

Would maybe have been different if we had any idea of the timeframe it was coming, and we knew it wasn't to far off.

But we have no idea.

I'll be too busy playing Super Mario REDACTED

But seriously I am going to Gamestop at 10pm on the 11th to pick up TOTK and playing from when I get home until I pass out and then waking up the next morning and playing more.

Why do you have a switch? It doesn't seem like the console for you.

I remain strong.
/Not flinching.

Screen_Shot_2017-11-10_at_10.36.15_AM.png

BOTW is my GOAT and I will surely love the sequel, I've stopped watching trailers as I don't want to know too much.
However, I've decided to wait till the new console arrives in the hope of playing it in noticeably higher fidelity, this is in no way guaranteed and it could be in 6 months or in a year but as I have no shortage of other games to play, I think it's worth it.

Am I the only one?
I will play it 1st on my Switch Lite and play it again on my Switch 2 this coming holiday

If flawless, 144 FPS performance is your fetish you will never be pleased by a Nintendo console.

Anyway I can see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS or 60/144 FPS or 900p and 1080p, and would prefer playing TotK in 4k, but on the other hand BotW runs absolutely fine, besides the place in woods with all the transparency effects and I think BotW is one of the most beautiful games I ever played.

If flawless, 144 FPS performance is your fetish you will never be pleased by a Nintendo console.

Anyway I can see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS or 60/144 FPS or 900p and 1080p, and would prefer playing TotK in 4k, but on the other hand BotW runs absolutely fine, besides the place in woods with all the transparency effects and I think BotW is one of the most beautiful games I ever played.
It is a beautiful game, but just think how much more beautiful the REDACTED version could be of the sequel..

Digital Foundry-pilled

It is a beautiful game, but just think how much more beautiful the REDACTED version could be of the sequel..

That's a mindset with no end in sight. Imagine how good the 8k Remake for Switch 5 is going to look when run on an emulator. Better just wait 15 years to experience the TRUE DEFINITIVE version of the game.

I can't imagine playing games like this, it sounds absolutely miserable

I'm too impatient to do that, and I've done well not looking at big spoilers, but I couldn't do that for another year

Seriously. I love getting into the nitty gritty of the technical side of games (it's why I frequent the future hardware thread), but I still play games to... play games. I played Breath of the Wild on the Wii U, so I'll be more than fine with Tears of the Kingdom on Switch, especially after the news of how the game runs post-day 1 (day -7?) patch.

That's a mindset with no end in sight. Imagine how good the 8k Remake for Switch 5 is going to look when run on an emulator. Better just wait 15 years to experience the TRUE DEFINITIVE version of the game.
Except there is quite a difference between a console likely to come out in a year or less after the game and 15 years in the future.

No, everything I’ve seen so far from the previews and people with early copies say the game runs fine. Especially after the recent 1.1 patch…

Except there is quite a difference between a console likely to come out in a year or less after the game and 15 years in the future.

Is the console coming out "in a year or less"?

If we had a firm, confirmed, actual release date for it, AND we knew it's going to be backwards compatible, I could see a case for it. As of right now, though? We have absolutely no idea when it's coming out, we don't know if Switch games are going to work on it, and we don't know if they'll get any enhancements on said unconfirmed new console.

What happens if Nintendo is actually going to ride the OG Switch train for a bit longer? They seem like they could actually pull it off. Do you just keep waiting? Sure, the last two points are reasonably-ish assumptions, though also not anywhere close to confirmed. What if the new platform runs Switch games exactly as they run on OG Switch? There's precedent of this.

Banworthy

It’s such silly comment, from what I heard Nintendo realsed a patch for totk yesterday which made it run pretty well

Reviewers have the game already.

To answer the thread question, nah. It'll be fine on Switch. When the new hardware releases I'll have new games to play on it.

What's even the point then?

I like to play games. They don't all need to be completed.

That's not the case with every game.

Just don't buy the game and save us all the earache

Too late. Already played it and moved on. Will spare you the earache.

Why do you have a switch? It doesn't seem like the console for you.

I have three of them. There are plenty of great games on Switch.

I replayed botw three times now. The game still blows my mind. My plan is to play totk on the OLED and replay on the new Switch whenever that comes out. I would probably enjoy it just as much.

To think some of y'all are going to wait indefinitely to play this game. As much as locked 30FPS or targeting 60 FPS would be nice, this is Zelda for goodness sake. It's going to be a great experience regardless. It also seems to hold 30 most of the time, save for certain areas or moments. If this game were exclusive to WiiU for some reason, I'd figure out a way to buy a WiiU to play it. That's how desperate I am.

Nah. I considered it for a second but ultimately if I like it I'll do a second playthrough on Switch 2 anyway, and get to experience it as new(ish) again as a prettier/smoother game. I can appreciate both. Before Switch I only had 3DS so Switch-level jank is fine by me (yes I loved Pokemon Scarlet/Violet as they were released)

Perhaps the power jump mixed with current switch audience causes a change, but historically Nintendo has never been the type of company that would do graphical patches, that feels like an assumption based on the competition who, even according to themselves, are kind of fighting a different fight entirely

I would like it of course, and it may shut up some of the overly graphic obsessed people out there, and I assume the tech is far more scalable now (as in, past big jumps like N64 to GCN would have required a new game basically), but all of those are reasons it's very much doable. They are not reasons that mean it will happen.

I'm honestly leaning against it.

Perhaps the power jump mixed with current switch audience causes a change, but historically Nintendo has never been the type of company that would do graphical patches, that feels like an assumption based on the competition who, even according to themselves, are kind of fighting a different fight entirely

I would like it of course, and it may shut up some of the overly graphic obsessed people out there, and I assume the tech is far more scalable now (as in, past big jumps like N64 to GCN would have required a new game basically), but all of those are reasons it's very much doable. They are not reasons that mean it will happen.

I'm honestly leaning against it.
There are literally multiple re-releases of GB games to add GBC support.

The modern idea of a "graphics patch" which takes advantage of more powerful hardware is a pretty new thing, and the only time Nintendo had an opportunity to really do them in the past, it was with New 3DS, which didn't change much wrt the graphics hardware.

Back
Top Bottom