• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Anyone else waiting to play TotK on Switch Redacted?

I play Nintendo games, I ain’t waiting for the chance for better performance lol

That has never been a reason to play Nintendo games personally

Nah, I can't wait for the game to come out, let alone wait for a new console that we don't know when will come out.

Because I've got a 4k LG OLED TV and the quality even in docked mode looks kinda atrocious (I think having a PS5 has really ruined it for me, personally because it's hard to go back to 1080p), I've been trying to see how I can get it upscaled. So far I've found out about the MClassic, not sure if I need anything else tho. Don't really want to devolve this into a how-to thread, so if anyone has got some more details, shoot me a DM please!

Zero chance I’m waiting 1 to 1 and a half years to play it. Hopefully it gets a next gen update, would be a great excuse for a replay.

There is zero guarantee they'll patch the game to take advantage of newer hardware. If the game has frame rate drops you might get a consistent 30fps, and if it has dynamic resolution you might get a consistent 900p, but that's it.

Don't wait what will likely be a year to a year and a half for something that might not even happen, specially when so much of the magic of the game will be people collectively discovering and discussing all the things you can do in it.

If it means that much to you, you'll probably get better performance with a shorter wait by waiting for emulators to fully support it and then buying and ripping the game.

For sure not.
A while back I was in boat "would be okay to delay TotK as long as needed to launch with the new console" but now I have seen so much amazing stuff that I can't wait one day longer than May 12th.

I never cared about waiting for future generations but I really don’t care after getting COVID in January

I’m not waiting for shit, I am enjoying things when they become available to me because life is a fragile flitting terror and I could bite it with neither warning nor ceremony

now or nearer never thou perched jabronis

i don't think i have ever waited to play a game releasing on a different console, no matter how close that console is.

I never cared about waiting for future generations but I really don’t care after getting COVID in January

I’m not waiting for shit, I am enjoying things when they become available to me because life is a fragile flitting terror and I could bite it with neither warning nor ceremony

haha even ignoring mortality, i like to be able to do something when i want to do it.

It's one of my most anticipated games, so no. And even if I was willing to wait... Being completely honest and a bit personal, I have poor eyesight and each year it only gets worse. 4K and framerate aren't as important to me because I don't really have the physical means to appreciate them.

And since COVID was already mentioned... I'm uhhhh very high risk of being launched off this planet if I catch COVID. There's value in patience, and I'm willing to wait on a lot of things... But also? Life is short, unpredictable, and if it's something I really want to experience, I'm not putting it off if I can help it.

Unless Switch 2 gets announced in May with promise of improved performance, I'm not gonna wai 6 months. I don't mind transferring my data and playing dlc on switch 2 though.

I have friends who are waiting for the release of the [Redacted] to play the new Zelda. They don't have the Switch.

Absolutely not. Don’t know when it comes. Could be 1-2 years from now. We don’t know. We also don’t know if it will then be available right away and if it is it might just be bc with now notable enhancements.

Also I just don’t think it being higher resolution and all will make my enjoyment of the game significantly higher.

It might just be in time for playtrough 3 or DLC.

i don't think i have ever waited to play a game releasing on a different console, no matter how close that console is.

haha even ignoring mortality, i like to be able to do something when i want to do it.
maybe I should adjust that to say “when I want to, which is usually the most convenient time after they become available to me”

which is more true but less punchy

I almost hope that the game doesn't run better on the next hardware just because I'm sick of hearing "I'm waiting for the switch pro/successor to play x" for the past 18 months.

Don't care about technical stuff after the first 10 minutes of a game I like. And after watching the gameplay demonstration and trailer's it looks very good.
The switch successor ist most likely more than just 6 months or a year away.

OccasionalAdoredIraniangroundjay-max-1mb.gif
Is this the most Yeah'd post on the site? Wow. Lol.

You do you, but be prepared for the possibility that TOTK doesn't come to the next console and the realization that you spent 1 and a half years waiting for no reason.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment - anything can happen whenever and you should enjoy what you want when you can! - but there’s still something mildly amusing to me about every single Fami member ITT over 30 (including myself) feeling slightly at risk of having died of old age by the time redacted comes out.

I’d ask who hurt us but we all know it was Nintendo.

This reminds me of when people were saying they weren't going to play Age of Calamity until the Switch Pro upgrade arrived lol
With the difference that TotK seems to have a fine framerate and i did get dizzy playing the AoC demo, so... =P

(Yeah, im maybe gonna play AoC if it runs better on [Redacted] and i wont bother on Switch at all, TotK is simply a game i want more)

No way in hell.

I'd gladly replay it on newer hardware tho.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment - anything can happen whenever and you should enjoy what you want when you can! - but there’s still something mildly amusing to me about every single Fami member ITT over 30 (including myself) feeling slightly at risk of having died of old age by the time redacted comes out.

I’d ask who hurt us but we all know it was Nintendo.
This is basically the bread and butter of my experience with Nintendo, just with redacted referring to games too.

I have a launch Switch that is struggling hard with Breath of the Wild these days. Asset pop-in is regularly noticeable and quite close to Link and the details on scenery in the distance keeps changing as the game loads different terrain models in. It's really distracting and immersion-breaking and I don't remember it being this bad at launch. I fear that TotK will tax the system further so I wish the Switch Redacted was out already. As it is I'm hesitant to buy the game if the performance will be this inadequate for me.
Do you think downloading the digital version to the 32GB internal memory would improve the pop-in issue?

With botw already struggling to run on v1 units I’ll just get the redacted version of totk in due time

Last edited:
Will buy the physical cartridge, dump it with my V1 Switch and play on Yuzu or Ryujinx as I did with Bayonetta 3.

It's hard to say no to native 4k as much as I prefer playing handheld.

Nah man, beyond what's already been said, life just has too many unknowns to do things like that.

You could die of some horrible disease, get run over by a car, go blind in some accident, slip and fall down a flight of stairs and come out a quadriplegic, be at ground zero of a new warzone, get shot by some maniac when you're just trying to buy groceries.

Enjoy shit you're excited for right away while you can, there's no guarantee you'll be able to tomorrow.

At the rate I’m breaking down in my late 30s, I’m not putting anything off.

Yeah I just turned 35 yesterday and I'm feeling this. I don't know if it's a premonition or midlife crisis or what but lately I've been feeling like I'm gonna die pretty young, and for whatever reason kinda made peace with it.

So I'm not putting off a potential GOAT for a few more p's and frames.

I wasn’t going that far, lol, but definitely noticing the recovery from muscle strains and simple illness is longer than usual. Just the way it is I guess. Do agree with making peace with things and living more in the moment though.

Yeah it wasn't directly related to what you said, it's just an odd feeling I've been having lately. I wanna make sure I do what I can now to enjoy life and make whatevs lasting impact I can on the world (the Mican Cinematic Universe will outlive me!) before it's too late.

Like, health wise I'm doing fine, I guess it's just the unrelenting march of time that has me realizing it's only a matter of, well, time. Either that or I'm secretly precognizent and gonna die in a freak accident soon.

XbZ6t9J.png

I already know how this is going to go down.

I'm probably going to buy the game, play it for an hour or so, be disgusted by its performance and wonder why I bought it to begin with, consider emulating it but won't because I still haven't with other Switch games, wait for Nintendo's next console, potentially have to buy the game again, and finally play it for a few more hours (potentially still disappointed with its performance) until moving on to the next game.

I already know how this is going to go down.

I'm probably going to buy the game, play it for an hour or so, be disgusted by its performance and wonder why I bought it to begin with, consider emulating it but won't because I still haven't with other Switch games, wait for Nintendo's next console, potentially have to buy the game again, and finally play it for a few more hours (potentially still disappointed with its performance) until moving on to the next game.
wish i had fuck you money to just buy games and then play them for an hour

No way. I wouldn't want to miss out on all the excitement for when the game launches and not be able to experience it with other people. There's something special about that when you're playing a good game that's just released and you're part of a group enjoying it.

Inb4 the newest console doesn’t have backwards compatibility with the Switch.

Honestly it's almost guaranteed it will, but like someone mentioned earlier it would probably run in a "Switch mode" with not much performance change.

I can see Nintendo going full scummy and re-releasing them on larger cartridges for $70 on the Switch 2 lol. Best case scenario is a patch update.

I actually find it to be quite special that I’m gonna play TOTK on day 1 on the same console and controller that I played BOTW on day 1 in 2017.

I'm already sitting here periodically clicking the game icon even though I know it won't unlock for another week. No way in hell could I wait for a system with no info and no eta to play this. Based on the number of playthroughs I've had of BOTW I'm comfortable with predicting I'll be down for another playthrough of TOTK whenever the new system might release.

I'm not waiting but I think it's fine to wait if you're not satisfied with the game's performance on current Switch hardware. It's not like there aren't thousands of other games out there that probably do meet someone's performance standards. Yeah, you can play a game multiple times, but you might not want to play a 100+ hour game again. See how I still haven't played Persona 5 Royal despite it by all accounts being a notable improvement over vanilla.

Honestly you could make a good argument that it's good to just stay a gen behind in terms of games in general. You'll always get the more updated, patched versions of games with better performance.

Back
Top Bottom