• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Ampere Analysis forecasts the next Switch for late 2024 ; return on predictions made last year

We're also only 1 week into 2022 and really shouldn't outright dismiss the possibility that new hardware from Nintendo happens this year.
This is extremely reductive and actually partially outright false.
Lots of respect to both of you for hanging out in these threads for the past years. Some folks seem to conflate incessant and militant pessimism with realism.

TBF that's coming from somebody that keeps holding on to
ZELDA 2 MARCH 22 CHOO CHOO

Sounds kinda alright, looks like the Switch will have some legs and a successor would make it nosedive so it could be replaced slightly later than usual 🤔

I know the hybrid is the selling point of the Switch. But I’d LOVE to see them do a three pronged approach next gen.

Switch 2 Lite - Smaller and handheld only.
Switch 2 - Hybrid console that plays the games with the same performance on tv as in handheld with a little bit of resolution bump (just like we have now)
Switch 2 TV - a TV only device that plays the same games but at 4k and a higher framerate.

It’ll never happen because people will say a Switch that isn’t handheld is pointless, but I just want some way to enjoy their games at the highest resolution / framerate.
If it meant the TV-only model would be cheaper, then hell yeah. As a Wii U lover/apologist, a tv-only Switch is anything but pointless. I'm thrilled to death that Nintendo went hybrid for development unification reasons (Links Awakening and a bunch of 3rd party indies would have been 3DS games otherwise, for example) and obviously the market wants it and I love to see Nintendo do well. But if they had some system where an account and save data could be easily shared between two consoles, I'd very possibly buy a tv-only Dane and keep my Erista for the very rare occasion where I take a trip and have a lot of hotel time.

TV-only Switch owners! There are dozens of us!

I know the hybrid is the selling point of the Switch. But I’d LOVE to see them do a three pronged approach next gen.

Switch 2 - Hybrid console that plays the games with the same performance on tv as in handheld with a little bit of resolution bump (just like we have now)
Switch 2 TV - a TV only device that plays the same games but at 4k and a higher framerate.

It’ll never happen because people will say a Switch that isn’t handheld is pointless, but I just want some way to enjoy their games at the highest resolution / framerate.
At that point, the third seems pointless and it would be better if they take a more Apple like approach.

Meaning:

1. the handheld and tabletop only Lite.
2. The hybrid we all know and love
3. The premium model, still a hybrid, but the dock is like a console in itself. Pretty much a Wii U but when you go handheld, it’s not streaming to the gamepad. Taking advantage of the unified account system, with its own internal storage, and the internals to truly back the extra power. The equivalent to a PC’s low, medium, high settings.

While the middle one would be the bread and butter, they can make money off the more enthusiast crowd.

Analysts err on the side of caution for Switch because Nintendo IS often conservative and cautious. There was "plenty of smoke" for Switch PRO for the last 2-3 years, but it never really ended up materializing. The smoke was actually just dust.

However, it is a fact that global supply chains are struggling, and Nintendo can't magically fix that.
Nintendo can't fix the shortages, but they don't really need to. Established hardware companies can and have been launching new products all throughout the pandemic. It's an inconvenience, sure, but one that's not likely to have all that big an impact on their plans unless they get particularly unlucky.

The bigger problem with this proposal is that you're forcing people to buy multiple devices to get the optimal experience. The hybrid Switch is designed as the flagship device, and having a revision that surpasses it in some way fragments the platform. The only way a TV only Switch is at all likely to happen is as a cheap model that performs exactly the same as the equivalent hybrid when docked.

Nintendo simply didn't use the extra power to make it a pro, they just increased the battery life

Good Lawd do I wish they introduced a new optional performance profile.

Just a lil extra oomph for the devs that choose to invest the resources for the sake of the players.

From what I understand it could conceivably improve raw performance like 30+%. That should be good for Xenoblade 2 to squeeze out a few dozen more "p"s

The bigger problem with this proposal is that you're forcing people to buy multiple devices to get the optimal experience. The hybrid Switch is designed as the flagship device, and having a revision that surpasses it in some way fragments the platform. The only way a TV only Switch is at all likely to happen is as a cheap model that performs exactly the same as the equivalent hybrid when docked.
oh my god are you me

how many smart people with good opinions have I ignored because they like pokemon

I need to go rethink my life

2024 can make sense. I think 2023 is more likely though. Mario has always been a big part of any launch and having first party Mario games ready for 2023 wouldn't be a problem.

I mean who knows at this point with Nintendo. Now I’m a realist when it comes to ANH home console. People were asking for the next Switch in 2020 after three years when console generations usually last 5-7 years.

I like consoles over PC gaming because I like buying into an ecosystem for a good number of years and usually I say the longer a gen the better. Really loved how long the PS3 gen lasted.

That said… handheld systems don’t have the benefit of home consoles in longevity due to the nature of mobile architecture, and of course, balancing the appeal of consoles - which is price - and in a handheld, efficiency with battery life and size. Before it was fine cause the handheld was their separate line, and people were fine having a plain GameBoy Color or GBA to go with their N64 or Wii. But now it’s not.

So I think for a hybrid handheld, the next switch should come out sooner rather than later. Even every four years I would be fine with. Like say the iPad, Year we get a new one every 1 year, but the only truly worthwhile wow what an awesome boost upgrades comes every four usually.

With Nintendo hardware people always confuse what they want with what Nintendo wants.
For me usually with Nintendo, I want affordability and something uniquely Nintendo about the hardware that’s neat that the others don’t offer, and that games just look… nice. Heck I was playing my 3DS earlier today and yeah it’s now powerhouse, but the games still look pleasing to my eyes.

listen I get that Nintendo isn't a power focused company and all, but their own devs are starting to outpace the hardware

Animal Crossing is 30 but drops to 20s
upcoming Kirby, a 3D platformer, is 30
Bowser's Fury wasn't native in handheld and occasionally struggled in docked
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a cheap port to be fair and it's pretty stable but it also is 720p docked
Super Mario Odyssey's weird draw distance and LOD, a product of the low memory bandwidth
Breath of the Wild (self explanatory)
Xenoblade (self explanatory)

I'm really, really hoping the rumored hardware comes to market because things are only going to get worse and we're due for some games in the coming couple years that will be really hurt by the low headroom

Holiday 2023 target that slips into early 2024 is the latest I can envision it going. I feel like Nintendo's hand would have had to have REALLY been forced to miss that and go all the way to Holiday 2024.

I'm normally the first to defend Nintendo's "less power" approach as I appreciate good art direction over detailed photorealism, but

their own devs are starting to outpace the hardware

^ this is why I'm at least keeping an eye out for Dane.

Eh personally I couldn't care much less about power or performance, I'm just considering rumors.

Let’s assume Nintendo hasn’t been all hot-air in reiterating over and over, even as recently as last year, that we are at a mid point for the Switch; 2024 is too soon for anything called a successor. That’s only 7 years.

How many times now has some exec at Nintendo touted the idea of Switch outlasting traditional lifecycles, or redefining what a lifecycle means? 7 years is hardly shaking things up when 6 has been the standard.

I still see a revision hitting soon to extend the life of the Switch generation another 4-5 years - OLED certainly isn’t going to carry it that far. A traditional Nintendo successor (ie. one that expands functionality in a meaningful way) could arrive by 2026/2027.

This all makes sense. They found a cadence that works for them: if they can get a new Switch out that's close enough to the XBOX SERIES S to get a bunch of late ports like the first Switch did, that may afford them a healthy start.

I'm not sure about how the first party software would look at that point. Zelda will have shipped in 2022, as well as Splatoon and potentially some Mario games. Getting a strong launch together two years after might be tough.

Sakurai is ostensibly finally out of Smash, but if they have a new system out in 2024 I have no doubt that Nintendo is already coordinating the next one without him. We could actually see that along with Next Level Games, who are (IMO unfortunately) likely making Luigi's Mansion 4. By that token we could see a GameCube first party launch in 2024, which would be novel.
This is why it will be the Dane chip late this year or March '23 depending on when BotW 2 is ready. 2024 means no major software outside of a new Mario Kart.

listen I get that Nintendo isn't a power focused company and all, but their own devs are starting to outpace the hardware

Animal Crossing is 30 but drops to 20s
upcoming Kirby, a 3D platformer, is 30
Bowser's Fury wasn't native in handheld and occasionally struggled in docked
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a cheap port to be fair and it's pretty stable but it also is 720p docked
Super Mario Odyssey's weird draw distance and LOD, a product of the low memory bandwidth
Breath of the Wild (self explanatory)
Xenoblade (self explanatory)

I'm really, really hoping the rumored hardware comes to market because things are only going to get worse and we're due for some games in the coming couple years that will be really hurt by the low headroom
[laughs]

Let’s assume Nintendo hasn’t been all hot-air in reiterating over and over, even as recently as last year, that we are at a mid point for the Switch; 2024 is too soon for anything called a successor. That’s only 7 years.

How many times now has some exec at Nintendo touted the idea of Switch outlasting traditional lifecycles, or redefining what a lifecycle means? 7 years is hardly shaking things up when 6 has been the standard.

I still see a revision hitting soon to extend the life of the Switch generation another 4-5 years - OLED certainly isn’t going to carry it that far. A traditional Nintendo successor (ie. one that expands functionality in a meaningful way) could arrive by 2026/2027.
A console's lifespan can continue past the launch of its successor. Nintendo's last handheld in particular is rather infamous for this.

A console's lifespan can continue past the launch of its successor. Nintendo's last handheld in particular is rather infamous for this.

Miyamoto pointed out 5-6 year lifespans of previous systems in his quote. These would not include any tails after a successor released:
Up until now, the hardware life cycle has trended at around 5 or 6 years, but it would be very interesting if we could prolong that life cycle, and I think you should be looking forward to that.
I’m not sure they’ve mentioned explicit years in references to lifecycles since, but I’m assuming they’re continuing to mean time until a successor launches.

I feel what I’m proposing lines up a lot better with what’s being said than just assuming it’s going to be a 7 years before a successor, but Switch will continue to sell for another X years beyond that.

…I suppose all these quotes are just ambiguous enough that we’re all just seeing what we want in them.

Last edited:
Miyamoto pointed out previous 5-6 year lifespans of previous systems; These would not include any tails after a successor released:

I’m not sure they’ve mentioned explicit years in references to lifecycles since, but I’m assuming they’re continuing to mean time until a successor launches.

I feel what I’m proposing lines up a lot better with what’s being said than just assuming it’s going to be a 7 years before a successor, but Switch will continue to sell for another X years beyond that.

…I suppose all these quotes are just ambiguous enough that we’re all just seeing what we want in them.
This is where the Switch as a hybrid sort of muddies the waters, because, with the sole exception of the NES (or probably more accurately the Famicom), Nintendo's home consoles have stuck very closely to the 5-6 year average and died immediately after their successor launches. Even the handhelds haven't been overly consistent at pushing too far past that threshold, and are being carried a bit by the even more anomalous Game Boy. The 3DS was basically the first solid attempt since the Game Boy, and it didn't go very well.

Personally I think we're in for a somewhat remixed version of the 3DS strategy, with a new key ingredient to make it actually work this time: backwards compatibility. Specifically, the sort of backwards compatibility that lets both systems run games natively from the same cartridge. Not only does it mitigate the risks of games launching to an install base that's not big/active enough, on both sides, but it's fairly flexible and lets Nintendo pivot fairly quickly if one of the systems falters.

I don’t think the Switch Pro/successor even gets mentioned until sales start to drop off….and there’s really no indication of that happening any time soon.

Hell I think if that happened, you’d then see price drops to wring out more sales and then possibly an announcement.

2024 is always kind of what I thought so it doesn’t surprise me.

Makes sense to me! Plenty of life left in the original Switch before any kind of spec bump needed. I'll keep enjoying my original Switch until then... and likely after 2024 as well!

I don’t think the Switch Pro/successor even gets mentioned until sales start to drop off….and there’s really no indication of that happening any time soon.

Hell I think if that happened, you’d then see price drops to wring out more sales and then possibly an announcement.

2024 is always kind of what I thought so it doesn’t surprise me.
That's not really how this sort of thing works. Hardware launches don't just come from nowhere, they take years of planning.

This is where the Switch as a hybrid sort of muddies the waters, because, with the sole exception of the NES (or probably more accurately the Famicom), Nintendo's home consoles have stuck very closely to the 5-6 year average and died immediately after their successor launches. Even the handhelds haven't been overly consistent at pushing too far past that threshold, and are being carried a bit by the even more anomalous Game Boy. The 3DS was basically the first solid attempt since the Game Boy, and it didn't go very well.

Let's not forget the Super Famicom, which kept getting first party releases up until 2000! And for handhelds, DS got a handful of releases after 3DS released (Pokemon Conquest and Black/White 2 come to mind).

I would definitely expect the original Switch to stick around for a while after the "Switch 2" releases, even getting software designed for it first!

That's not really how this sort of thing works. Hardware launches don't just come from nowhere, they take years of planning.
Nintendo is always planning new hardware, whether it be prototypes that never come to fruition or hardware that actually makes it to the stages where it's being planned for and releases to the mass market.

Nintendo is always planning new hardware, whether it be prototypes that never come to fruition or hardware that actually makes it to the stages where it's being planned for and releases to the mass market.
Sure, but the decision to actually bring something to market is something that has to happen pretty far in advance of the actual launch. Likely multiple years in the case of something like the expected Switch successor.

Hardware development is a pretty slow process, and anything Nintendo ultimately decides not to bring to market is unlikely to get distributed widely enough to generate rumors. For example, the pre-Nvidia NX design only became public well after the fact as part of the Gigaleak.

Let's not forget the Super Famicom, which kept getting first party releases up until 2000! And for handhelds, DS got a handful of releases after 3DS released (Pokemon Conquest and Black/White 2 come to mind).

I would definitely expect the original Switch to stick around for a while after the "Switch 2" releases, even getting software designed for it first!
The thing with DS is it's basically just 3 games, if you ignore the late localizations. I'm fairly certain Kirby Mass Attack is the only other first party release that was after the 3DS in all regions. As Nintendo handhelds go, the DS fell off unusually quickly.

To me the fact that the 3DS had a long tail probably indicates Nintendo wasn't sure if the Switch would be a bonafide success and wanted to squeeze some life out of their actual successful system that generation. It's really the only recent example of a Nintendo system having a life after its successor.

In reality they could easily make this work out for them. There are so many games they can bring to the console. Obviously Nintendo games to a certain extent don’t rely on cutting edge tech. They make the most of what they have. On the third party side remasters are the name of the game. There are so many games from the ps360 generation and early ps4 xbone gen I want to play on my switch. They really can extend the life of the switch until 2023-2024.

Switch 2 in 2024 would be a dream come true for me.
Two more full years for Switch 1 to live up to its full potential in library and sales, and more modern tech for Switch 2 that can get more games.
A 7 year lifespan is a fair return for a system I paid nearly $500 AUD for.

Last edited:
Humouring the rumours (not related to the analyst post in OP) for a moment, what is the reason Switch 2 is expected over Switch Pro according to most members here who believe the rumours?

I've heard Grubb rumour Switch Pro for 2022.

Humouring the rumours (not related to the analyst post in OP) for a moment, what is the reason Switch 2 is expected over Switch Pro?

I've heard Grubb rumour Switch Pro for 2022... I'm wondering why the believers think it will be a Switch 2.
most think the line is meaningless, which imo (and this is just me) basically means it's a pro

nintendo has mentioned that 10 year life cycle and getting a mid gen now would get them there

Sure they do but I think they have a window where they could sit on the announcement and launch and go any time during that window…they have flexibility with the way the Switch is selling and sadly, with the chip shortages.

There was all those rumors last year and I’m sure we’ll see them again this year but I really think Nintendo is going to sit on it for as long as possible.

Humouring the rumours (not related to the analyst post in OP) for a moment, what is the reason Switch 2 is expected over Switch Pro according to most members here who believe the rumours?

I've heard Grubb rumour Switch Pro for 2022.
"Pro" vs "2" is kind of an ongoing semantic debate over how the hardware will be positioned and what is a "successor". The "2" side has mostly won out at this point, but that definitely wasn't the case yet when a lot of these rumors were initially surfacing last spring. This is why we'll sometimes use more neutral names like "Dane" (the rumored codename of the SoC) because that's ultimately the common thread in the rumors. It is a more powerful system that will substantially resemble the Switch based on Nvidia's latest architecture. Any name ascribed to the hardware at this point is an arbitrary shorthand informed by the bias of the source.
Sure they do but I think they have a window where they could sit on the announcement and launch and go any time during that window…they have flexibility with the way the Switch is selling and sadly, with the chip shortages.

There was all those rumors last year and I’m sure we’ll see them again this year but I really think Nintendo is going to sit on it for as long as possible.
The window likely isn't all that large. I'd be surprised if they could move the launch by more than 6-9 months.

lmao at 2024 release. Switch can't sell the same at those numbers in 2 years.

I'm not betting a 2022 holiday release, but I think it's reasonable for switch 2 in 2023.

Personally still expecting Nintendo to launch some sort of second generation Switch hardware in the next 18 months. I do think they intend to launch at the end of this year, but I'm not sure if that'll end up being possible.

My other thought with new hardware was whether Nintendo would finally overhaul the OS and eShop, as part of a wider refresh for the Switch platform. Sure, the experience would be worst on first generation Switch devices, but that's sort of how things go these days. Every Switch would get the improved OS and eShop, but the experience would be far smoother on new Switch devices.

I can see why Ampere expect late 2024, but between the Dane talk and Nintendo's own stated goals (first with NX, then with them wanting to prolong the life of the platform), late 2022 to early 2023 seems like the time to launch. "Platform" is no longer synonymous with one form of hardware, and that's what Nintendo wanted out of NX. We're already there with Lite and hybrid models and such, but launching a second generation of Switch hardware to take the platform through another 5 years would be a bigger shift (but one in keeping with where technology and other platforms have gone).

Every day that passes, a 2022 release is less likely.
We'll be 100% sure in less than a month when we will have FY23 forecast (if they aren't significantly above 20M, it means they arent planning to launch anything) but the way software schedule is laid out, the way Nintendo laid out their 2022 strategy, none of it indicates a release this fiscal year.

We'll be 100% sure in less than a month when we will have FY23 forecast (if they aren't significantly above 20M, it means they arent planning to launch anything) but the way software schedule is laid out, the way Nintendo laid out their 2022 strategy, none of it indicates a release this fiscal year.
Huh?

How would a 20M forecast say no new hardware? Assuming they launch in the holiday season I don't see why they'd A) have enough stock to do huge numbers and why B) base Switch sales wouldn't slow quickly.

And the software schedule overwhelmingly suggests this would be the year for new hardware, not that it wouldn't. Unless like everything launches before September, in which case I'd agree with you.

We won't get the new financial year forecast until late April or early May, when they do the final briefing for the full 21/22 FY. The next briefing is the 9 month briefing for 21/22.

Huh?

How would a 20M forecast say no new hardware? Assuming they launch in the holiday season I don't see why they'd A) have enough stock to do huge numbers and why B) base Switch sales wouldn't slow quickly.

And the software schedule overwhelmingly suggests this would be the year for new hardware, not that it wouldn't. Unless like everything launches before September, in which case I'd agree with you.

It would mean they arent planning to sell a lot of consoles. They will sell 20M with the continuous Switch sales alone. Releasing a new console would imply selling a lot more consoles than that. A forecast that "low" would without a doubt confirm no hardware this year.

Also, the vast majority of the software releases before the likely launch window of November. Besides Zelda, everything else should release before then (Pokémon, Kirby, Splatoon...).

We won't get the new financial year forecast until late April or early May, when they do the final briefing for the full 21/22 FY. The next briefing is the 9 month briefing for 21/22.

We won't get the precise forecast before the new FY but we will get solid indications soon nonethless

The real thing to look out for at the next couple meetings is either "we have no plans to announce about new hardware" or "we will not be releasing new hardware in 2022". That's a lot more definitive.
It would mean they arent planning to sell a lot of consoles. They will sell 20M with the continuous Switch sales alone. Releasing a new console would imply selling a lot more consoles than that. A forecast that "low" would without a doubt confirm no hardware this year.
I completely disagree. 20M is exactly where I'd expect a year with a new launch to be. Q1 should be somewhere around 2-3m coming off of a big Q4 shipment with Pokemon. Q2 is when the new model would have to be announced so it'll probably do about 2-3m if not less. Q3 the new model will sell out but that'll only be about ~5-8m in all likelihood, then the base Switch will probably pick up the other ~3-5m for no more than 11m total. Then another 3-5m combined in Q4 depending on supply and software to get them to a total of 18m-22m.

I don't see any reason to think a new Switch would guarantee them significantly more or fewer hardware sales in an FY.

Also, the vast majority of the software releases before the likely launch window of November. Besides Zelda, everything else should release before then (Pokémon, Kirby, Splatoon...).
That's three games, one of which is GaaS, so it doesn't exactly have to launch with a new model. Zelda and Bayonetta are more geared towards the enthusiast early adopters anyway.

Add that doesn't include games which are heavily rumored but not yet announced like Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or Metroid Prime remake/remaster, both of which could launch near or with a new model.

I'm also expecting Arceus DLC in November but that's just my own theory.

Late 2024 seems unlikely in the sense that it seems way too late!

If we believe Nate and some developers ( 2 of them as i am remember) that posted on Resetera the dev kits have been around since the end of 2020.
Additionally we know that more dev kits have been distributed around june-july 2021( first rumored by nate, then rumored by digital foundry and then confirmed by the bloomberg article).
We also know that according to Nate developers have been asked to aim their games for the end of 2022.

I know plans change, i know Nate could be partially wrong, i know that there are shortages.....but you do not ship the dev kits and wait FOUR years to launch the console!
The worst case scenario for Nintendo, where everything goes wrong, is a launch at the beginning of 2024.

my personal opinion is that the launch of the dane switch will occur between march and november 2023.
If you are an "optimist" it could happen in November 2022; if you are a "pessimst" it could be lauched , as i said, in march 2024.

Back
Top Bottom