• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Ampere Analysis forecasts the next Switch for late 2024 ; return on predictions made last year

It's already declining from 2020 in 2021 so I don't really see why it wouldn't decline further this year. At a certain point you can't sell the same console to so many people every year.
this is fair, I suppose. software sales are seemingly bulletproof (there are tens of millions more switches than mario kart 8 deluxe copies, for instance), but hardware saturation is a real thing that will be reached eventually.

maybe the OLED is their only strategy for this. I own one myself and it is incredible how much nicer the hybrid experience is. but will enough people upgrade? who can say

But yeah it's difficult to figure out what the software slate will look like in 2024. Next Level Games could have something ready by then, if they don't ship something before that. Metroid Prime 4 might take that long, but personally I'm thinking that's late 2023. Paper Mario would be due by 2024 but that's hardly a major launch title (no disrespect). I'd also expect the next Pokemon generation by the end of 2023, rather than 2024, and who knows how Legends changes things on that front.

EPD is the wildcard, as usual. With the new office space being put into use at some point this year, it's possible capacity should expand more rapidly from this year onwards. But would that really make much of a difference in time for late 2024?

There's always the possibility EPD 8 ship Donkey Kong on Switch, EPD 9 ship a non-Kart title this year, and perhaps one of those groups then gets a shot at a launch title for the new hardware, probably EPD 8 with 3D Mario. Software announcements this year could clue us in a little. Be interesting to see what other EPD titles crop up for 2022 and 2023.

Yeah, I'm saying it shifted from Wii U to Switch in 2016, but development presumably started before then. 2015 is reasonable but still a big step down from 6 to 7 years, which I found odd, because that'd peg development starting on Wii U in 2012 to 2013.

I expect pre production, concept research etc to have started as soon as LM2 was wrapped up. It's often like that for sequels.

I expect pre production, concept research etc to have started as soon as LM2 was wrapped up. It's often like that for sequels.
Sure, of course. I was a little confused as to whether there was a suggestion the game was in full production for a very long time, but it overlapped another title and shifted consoles so a slightly protracted development makes sense.

permutation of ideas here: what if the rumors are true, dev kits are out, but those dev kits are for a system coming out in holiday 2024

just an absolutely insane amount of third party dev time

2023 still remains my prediction as far as when Dane/Switch Pro/Switch 2/whatever launches. It would be interesting to see a July 15, 2023 if they couldn't do a March 3, 2023 launch or an October 18, 2023 launch.

this is fair, I suppose. software sales are seemingly bulletproof (there are tens of millions more switches than mario kart 8 deluxe copies, for instance), but hardware saturation is a real thing that will be reached eventually.

maybe the OLED is their only strategy for this. I own one myself and it is incredible how much nicer the hybrid experience is. but will enough people upgrade? who can say

Here's how I expect sales to go for the years to come:

As of March 31st 2022: around 24 millions units for the FY. It's their forecast for this year, it might be slightly down due to production issues in Q4 as warned by Furukawa. We'll be at about 108-110M Switch sold by then.
March 31st 2023: around 20 million units. It'll be down, but the solid slate of software (Pokemon Legends, Splatoon 3, Zelda BOTW2, Kirby and the Forgotten World, potentially Xenoblade 3 and Fire Emblem as well) will let it stay very strong. We'll be at about 128-130M Switch sold by then.
March 31st 2024: about 10-15 million units. If Pokémon, Mario, Metroid Prime 4 hit that year alongside potential pricecuts or appealing bundles, it can maintain a decent level of sales while cleaning up inventories. We'll be at about 140-145M Switch sold.
November 2024: Switch 2 releases.
End of life: it'll scrap a couple millions if the games are cross-gen or if they have a very cheap end-of-life model.

permutation of ideas here: what if the rumors are true, dev kits are out, but those dev kits are for a system coming out in holiday 2024

I don't see this as that implausible, games take a while to make, especially for a system that will likely be in the range of PS4-PS5 power.

I feel like 2024 is waiting a bit too long unless it is delayed from a targeted 2023 launch, and it doesn't really have much to do with the extremely tiring Pro beginning for newer hardware which we've doubtless all seen. I'm thinking late 2023 is ideal, they'll have plenty of games to release in the interim.

March 31st 2023: around 20 million units. It'll be down, but the solid slate of software (Pokemon Legends, Splatoon 3, Zelda BOTW2, Kirby and the Forgotten World, potentially Xenoblade 3 and Fire Emblem as well) will let it stay very strong. We'll be at about 128-130M Switch sold by then.
the problem is that these are all sequels to switch games. who buys a switch for botw2, unless they're after that OLED display?

2022 will be incredible for software but the only driver to hardware will be the OLED, and that's a tough burden. if there's no switch pro I expect a lot of marketing shitting on the LCD switches and emphasizing that if you want zelda 2's colors to pop you should get an OLED

This is the first HD Nintendo console that isn't a flop, which impacts its life cycle.
I think the fact that it's an HD console is less relevant than an R&D cycle that would've been planned out and funded a decade ago. They would've gone in with a 5 year turnaround plan (to satisfy investors) and success is allowing them to be more strategic about manufacturing agreements and software development.

the problem is that these are all sequels to switch games. who buys a switch for botw2, unless they're after that OLED display?

2022 will be incredible for software but the only driver to hardware will be the OLED, and that's a tough burden. if there's no switch pro I expect a lot of marketing shitting on the LCD switches and emphasizing that if you want zelda 2's colors to pop you should get an OLED

OLED will be a big part of these sales yes, Nintendo wants people to upgrade. So it won't be a proper "20 millions more people in the userbase" but a lot of upgrades, buying secondary Switches and all. Nintendo explicitely said that was their plan in 2022.

I think the fact that it's an HD console is less relevant than an R&D cycle that would've been planned out and funded a decade ago. They would've gone in with a 5 year turnaround plan (to satisfy investors) and success is allowing them to be more strategic about manufacturing agreements and software development.
They aren't going to truncate development to please investors, development for HD games takes longer and a decade ago that would have been obvious. Nintendo isn't going to set an arbitrary 5-6 year cycle just because that's what their other consoles have done, they have to shift based on tech and software.

OLED will be a big part of these sales yes, Nintendo wants people to upgrade. So it won't be a proper "20 millions more people in the userbase" but a lot of upgrades, buying secondary Switches and all. Nintendo explicitely said that was their plan in 2022.
Yep, my prediction: there will be a Gold colored/zelda themed OLED switch this holiday season to go with BOTW2. Thats gonna be the "hardware" this year.

Would be a very weird move for a notoriously secretive company.

Early 2024 makes the most sense. Also, idk why people try to predict release schedules and what not based on game release dates. Nintendo sits on completed games for as long as a year even. Especially with COVID, you'd think they'd work on and prepare games accordingly.

Finally we can end the speculation. Seriously though I’m not excited about a pro or successor. The reason being that wouldn’t mean it will get the games I want.

While I was all aboard the Switch Pro train, I'm down to wait for 2024 for a true successor. The Switch, while technically limited, has been pumping out amazing game after amazing game. Let's milk this bad boy for all it's worth before we move on.

The DLSS Switch rumours don’t seem to line up with most analyst predictions at all. It makes no sense for dev kits to be out there and for the system to be as far off as 2024.

Thing is, Nintendo’s release pattern makes me think the DLSS Switch needs to be out Spring 2023, perhaps with BotW2, just to ensure it actually has a huge game to launch with.

If BotW2 launches without the DLSS Switch in sight then I think the new system could be quite a while off while they ride the current Switch wave and wait for big hitters to be ready - MP4, MK, 3D Mario.

The DLSS Switch rumours don’t seem to line up with most analyst predictions at all. It makes no sense for dev kits to be out there and for the system to be as far off as 2024.

Thing is, Nintendo’s release pattern makes me think the DLSS Switch needs to be out Spring 2023, perhaps with BotW2, just to ensure it actually has a huge game to launch with.

If BotW2 launches without the DLSS Switch in sight then I think the new system could be quite a while off while they ride the current Switch wave and wait for big hitters to be ready - MP4, MK, 3D Mario.
MP4 is in no way comparable to Mario Kart or 3D Mario, they could easily put that out towards the end of the Switch lifecycle without much fuss.

They aren't going to truncate development to please investors, development for HD games takes longer and a decade ago that would have been obvious. Nintendo isn't going to set an arbitrary 5-6 year cycle just because that's what their other consoles have done, they have to shift based on tech and software.
I wouldn't describe it as truncating development to please investors, more setting a series of milestones for expected returns on investment over a defined period.

As for the planned lifecycle, there's always going to be some arbitrariness but I think it's easier for everyone involved (especially external partners) if they say something far in advance along the lines of "we plan for this to be on the market for X number of years" and stick to that timeline. It's fun to speculate about so we'll see!

This all makes sense. They found a cadence that works for them: if they can get a new Switch out that's close enough to the XBOX SERIES S to get a bunch of late ports like the first Switch did, that may afford them a healthy start.

I'm not sure about how the first party software would look at that point. Zelda will have shipped in 2022, as well as Splatoon and potentially some Mario games. Getting a strong launch together two years after might be tough.

Sakurai is ostensibly finally out of Smash, but if they have a new system out in 2024 I have no doubt that Nintendo is already coordinating the next one without him. We could actually see that along with Next Level Games, who are (IMO unfortunately) likely making Luigi's Mansion 4. By that token we could see a GameCube first party launch in 2024, which would be novel.
This is why I see Nintendo following the cross gen strategy and launching significant updates for existing games in the same timeframe. A big graphical update for Zelda, maybe alongside new content, could be a good way of getting gamers to make the switch without having to rush out the next one. Splatoon 3 could end up having a significant lifespan for similar reasons.

I think Nintendo are sitting on Mario Kart as the big launch game for the new system, and perhaps Metroid Prime 4 could take the BOTW slot. That would be a solid one-two punch, with cross gen games + a new IP/B-tier franchises filling the gaps.

In this timeframe, going by historical precedence Nintendo may want a new Smash out by 2027 (they like having Smash within the first two years of a console's lifespan), but I could see this slipping to 2028 depending on Sakurai's schedule.

It's already declining from 2020 in 2021 so I don't really see why it wouldn't decline further this year. At a certain point you can't sell the same console to so many people every year.
And given they moved away from price cut, valuing their brand even more than before; new hardware starting the end of the year with zelda and I don't even know what they're cooking for that mario movie release...

Last edited:
MP4 is in no way comparable to Mario Kart or 3D Mario, they could easily put that out towards the end of the Switch lifecycle without much fuss.

I think they’ll want it to be a technical showpiece rather than a major system seller. I could see it launching on both gen Switches with the Switch 2 version looking absolutely stunning.

Ugh, I want a new Switch this year or early next year. Just bought Snowrunners, while an impressive port that runs mostly locked at 30fps I would love to run it at native 720p.

If Nintendo indeed plans to release this late 2024 then I expect it to be between PS4 and PS4 Pro in Rae performance

I REFUSE to wait until LATE TWENTY TWENTY FOUR for a new, more powerful Switch model. I REFUSE.

I'll break into Nintendo and make it myself if I absolutely need to.

I think a Q1 2023 launch of Dane makes much more sense:

• Zelda BotW2 delayed to be a cross-gen launch title
  • EPD4 casual game - Launch
  • Mario Kart 9 - Spring/Summer 2023
  • Xenoblade 3 - launches cross-gen in Summer 2023 - 4.5-5 year development
  • Metroid Prime 4 launches cross-gen in Summer/Fall 2023 - 4-4.5 year development
  • Next Level Games game for Fall 2023 - 4 year development
  • 3D Mario in holiday 2023 - 6(!) year development
  • New Pokemon either in Holiday 2023 (2 year development) or Holiday 2024 (3 year development)
  • Astral Chain 2 in 2023 - 3-4 year development (or 4-5 years in 2024 if 2023 is too dense)
  • Nd Cube's game in 2024 - 3 year development
  • Camelot's game in 2024 - 3 year development
  • Animal Crossing in 2024 (3 years after Happy Home Paradise)
  • Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak Enhanced Ports
  • 3rd party games
  • 3rd party exclusives
The timeline just adds up so well with a lot of these studios. Only like 1 official delay (BotW2), and extra dev time for polish (BotW2, Xenoblade 3 if it was originally planned for 2022)

Also PS4 Pro launched 3 years after PS4 in Fall 2016. Fall 2024 would mean borderline PS5 Pro territory 💀
No way it launches that late especially with studios already making games for it all the way back in 2020

Last edited:
I think a Q1 2023 launch of Dane makes much more sense:

• Zelda BotW2 delayed to be a cross-gen launch title
  • EPD4 casual game - Launch
  • Mario Kart 9 - Spring/Summer 2023
  • Xenoblade 3 - launches cross-gen in Summer 2023 - 4.5-5 year development
  • Metroid Prime 4 launches cross-gen in Summer/Fall 2023 - 4-4.5 year development
  • Next Level Games game for Fall 2023 - 4 year development
  • 3D Mario in holiday 2023 - 6(!) year development
  • New Pokemon either in Holiday 2023 (2 year development) or Holiday 2024 (3 year development)
  • Astral Chain 2 in 2023 - 3-4 year development (or 4-5 years in 2024 if 2023 is too dense)
  • Animal Crossing in 2024 (3 years after Happy Home Paradise)
  • Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak Enhanced Ports
  • 3rd party games
  • 3rd party exclusives
The timeline just adds up so well with a lot of these studios. Only like 1 delay (BotW2), and extra dev time for polish (BotW2, Xenoblade 3 if it was originally planned for 2022)

Also PS4 Pro launched 3 years after PS4 in Fall 2016. Fall 2024 would mean borderline PS5 Pro territory 💀
No way it launches that late especially with studios already making games for it all the way back in 2020
I don't get why people think Q1 ever makes sense. Nintendo only ever launched consoles in Q1 because they had to delay them from the previous holiday season.

Q1 is never their plan A. Of course it could happen, but I'm sure if it does they were aiming for the previous Q4.

I don't get why people think Q1 ever makes sense. Nintendo only ever launched consoles in Q1 because they had to delay them from the previous holiday season.

Q1 is never their plan A. Of course it could happen, but I'm sure if it does they were aiming for the previous Q4.
I think Q1 makes a lot of sense, actually.

1) Staggers the early adopter/enthusiast buying rush and the holiday shopping rush so they can spread the hardware demand over the year.
2) Ends their fiscal year on an EXTREMELY high note.
3) One last holiday season to sell the previous hardware at blow-out prices (in nintendo's books: like maybe 10-15 dollars off)
4) gives me something to get my girlfriend for her birthday

So yeah, it's a weird time. Prime 4 actually seems like the perfect hypothetical launch title for a 2024 succ. Who knows when we'll see 3D Mario and Mario Kart, though
Prime 4's 2023, I feel it in my bones. Though we'll have an idea of how far off it is when they reveal Prime Remake this year; I imagine they'd rather show a trailer than pull the "we're still hard at work" stunt yet again, so if they can't show it I'm interpreting that to mean it's still a ways out.

I think they're doing a short reveal to release for Prime Remake partially for that reason; it gives them more time to have a Prime 4 trailer ready. My guess is the June Direct for both.
I don't think Nintendo has an interest in sitting on projects if they have the time to launch them, except for some titles like Mario Kart (when it makes no sense to launch it now, even if it's ready).
their sales numbers, meanwhile, are very clear and opposite: wait as long as you fucking can to replace this magical money printer than just got mario kart 8 one of its best years ever.
Mario Kart is Nintendo's GTA; the attach ratio is so high that the game tracks up and down with the hardware sales. Which means that sales should be on the decline now that hardware sales are. At a certain point, Nintendo is losing money by choosing not to cash in on launch year sales; Mario Kart 9 could probably do close to Animal Crossing numbers in terms of year one sales if they released one now. That's significant, even compared to MK8D's current sales. I don't think releasing MK9 even this year would be nonsensical, though I do think it's over a year away based on what we know is coming this year.

2024 just doesn’t line up with the fact that supposedly dev kits have been available. Hell if we are talking 2024 might as well disregard the next switch hardware topic not because of bad info, but because that’s another year out from the 2023 speculated date which means even more hardware advances across the industry.

I agree with the prediction; Not sure if late 2024 is the best bet (I'd say, March 2024) is the right time for the successor, but I do believe in a non-substantial revision in the meantime (A Lite OLED indeed)

if they had another Hardware in the market then I can see a 2024 release. but Nintendo only have the switch. So I still believe in a late 2022 or early 2023 pro/4k or switch 2.

I think Q1 makes a lot of sense, actually.

1) Staggers the early adopter/enthusiast buying rush and the holiday shopping rush so they can spread the hardware demand over the year.
2) Ends their fiscal year on an EXTREMELY high note.
3) One last holiday season to sell the previous hardware at blow-out prices (in nintendo's books: like maybe 10-15 dollars off)
4) gives me something to get my girlfriend for her birthday
There must be a reason none of the big three ever plan to launch in Q1 though. You're getting big sales at launch but that's at the expense of sales in the previous quarter. It just doesn't seem like something anyone would intend for.

Can't argue with #4 though.

I REFUSE to wait until LATE TWENTY TWENTY FOUR for a new, more powerful Switch model. I REFUSE.

I'll break into Nintendo and make it myself if I absolutely need to.

The year is 2030. There is still no new Switch and there are no PS5 and Xbox Series Xs to be found. "Nintendo please. New system", Derachi cries.

"Derachi, we don't have a new Switch just yet. But we have something to ease the pain. We are releasing a brand new F-Zero game".

"Could it be true? Have you finally answered my prayers?", Derachi says enthusiastically.

"Yes, it's true". A smirk forms on Nintendo's face. "But it runs at 20 FPS".

2024 just doesn’t line up with the fact that supposedly dev kits have been available. Hell if we are talking 2024 might as well disregard the next switch hardware topic not because of bad info, but because that’s another year out from the 2023 speculated date which means even more hardware advances across the industry.
Even digital foundry vouched for it at the end of last summer while they had nothing to say in march, which lines up with more devkits being sent after e3 and bloomberg going for another round with that 12 sources article...

The year is 2030. There is still no new Switch and there are no PS5 and Xbox Series Xs to be found. "Nintendo please. New system", Derachi cries.

"Derachi, we don't have a new Switch just yet. But we have something to ease the pain. We are releasing a brand new F-Zero game".

"Could it be true? Have you finally answered my prayers?", Derachi says enthusiastically.

"Yes, it's true". A smirk forms on Nintendo's face. "But it runs at 20 FPS".
I would perish

Q1 2024 launch for next gen sounds plausible but I expect Nintendo's internal studios to be done with Switch after this year's releases. They need to big games to make it for next gen's launch in 2024 so they need to start production as early as possible. Next Marioo 3D, BotW3, Kirby 3D 2 etc.

I think 2023 will be carried by third party games published by Nintendo. Nintendo can work for independent studios to create more new IP's to fill the schedule, just like they did with Wii (The Last Story, Pandora's Tower and Reginleiv). CyberConnect2 sounds perfect for this role. Square and Capcom would bring some gems too, Capcom is already rumored to revive some legacy titles in the future.

Look, we can just wait for next month's financial results and see which combination of words emerges in the official transcripts:

A) We have nothing to announce at this time.

B) We have no plans to launch new hardware in 2022.

A) means hardware is on the cards this year. B) means hardware isn't coming this year.

A) is the language they used in 2021, and B) is the language they used in 2020.

some idiot in a boardroom: "people want worse performance"
289555.jpg

This is what I picture when I see predictions for a newer Switch that are farther and farther away.

Even digital foundry vouched for it at the end of last summer while they had nothing to say in march, which lines up with more devkits being sent after e3 and bloomberg going for another round with that 12 sources article...
I had actually forgotten that they vouched for it too.

Back
Top Bottom