• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Alanah Pearce - Nintendo Direct date is June 29th (corroborated by NateDrake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 29th is subsequently the date that all Subway's worldwide will be closed forever.

bAtF8FV.png

signed the anti-Subway gang

What a way to kick off Fighter Pass 3 though

OzlFYs9.png
What have you done @Derachi ?

I want Nintendo to confirm this already, that way I can ask an hour earlier off to watch it at home...

I wonder whose mother Geoff Keighley insulted for Nintendo to be so clearly against having anything to do with his events. They're putting the Direct as late as humanly possible to get away from anything SGF lol

But, yeah, I'll be patient and wait. Won't deny that it really sucks to see this big gaming season just implode in on itself the instant the ESA is out of the picture.

I wonder whose mother Geoff Keighley insulted for Nintendo to be so clearly against having anything to do with his events. They're putting the Direct as late as humanly possible to get away from anything SGF lol

But, yeah, I'll be patient and wait. Won't deny that it really sucks to see this big gaming season just implode in on itself the instant the ESA is out of the picture.

I think Nintendo just sees that 1) SGF gets aweful covering 2) no single Keighly show has ever been good.
They've been staying away from him ever since the Joker reveal.

Geoffs' connection into Nintendo likely ended with Reggie leaving, simply as that. If he wants prime Nintendo stuff, he should start flirting with Miyamoto instead of Kojima.

Nintendo probably just wants to have as much media coverage and public attention as possible to themselves. I suspect that's partly why they often (always?) went last during regular E3 season. Between the SoP, the XBOX show, SGF and all the other smaller things there were easily 100+ games and we're not even done yet.

So the biggest pattern at this point is "Nintendo waits for big upcoming game to release, then has a Direct" in this case being Strikers and Three Hopes.

Hype!

So the biggest pattern at this point is "Nintendo waits for big upcoming game to release, then has a Direct" in this case being Strikers and Three Hopes.

Hype!
In this particular case it might be "they don't want to overshadow the release of the upcoming spinoff with the announcement of a new mainline Fire Emblem".

Pretty sure they’re last at regular E3 because Treehouse and showfloor booth being directly after. Since the direct is quick trailers, it makes sense to tie them together to get the most synergy.

I don‘t think they care that much about “media coverage” tbh. They went last because it simply the best way to show off their games along with Treehouse Live.

Good to know. Mostly excited to see more of Zelda which I think will be the right time to show off a good chuck of game play and to see more of Xenoblade 3. I'm secretly hoping to see a first glimps of Metroid Prime 4 too because there are heavy rumors of a Prime remake and they'll probably reveal it in the direct. Might as well throw in a short MP4 teaser as well.

Pretty sure they’re last at regular E3 because Treehouse and showfloor booth being directly after. Since the direct is quick trailers, it makes sense to tie them together to get the most synergy.

I don‘t think they care that much about “media coverage” tbh. They went last because it simply the best way to show off their games along with Treehouse Live.
However, before treehouse they still went last, being the last presentation means the ganes shown will be the most fresh in the head of the journalists abd consumers. Therfore you'll likely line up for Nintendos games first and create publicity for those games.

I don't think there's really anything dramatic happening. The opinion on whether it makes sense for Nintendo to have a big showing at an industry wide event like the Game Awards simply seems to have changed after Reggie left. Reggie seems to have been a proponent of Nintendo showing presence to remind audiences that, yes, we're also still here and important. His successors instead seem to gravitate to question what good it actually does to Nintendo to lead their audience to an event where 90% of all games aren't available on Nintendo's platform. The changed situation for Nintendo on the market might have also influenced that: when the TGAs started Nintendo was at rock bottom and proving that they're still a force to be reckoned with was actually important. Now that their fortunes have turned again that isn't really as important anymore - people pay attention to Nintendo anyway.

Similarly, I don't think that Nintendo has anything against SGF. I don't think there's any dissatisfaction with Keighley's handling of the events as much as they simply don't think that being grouped together with other publishers has a symbiotic result for them. They don't need the tailwind of other publishers to generate interest in their thing and, again, the other publishers are mostly showing games not on their platform, so Nintendo hasn't really much to gain by indirectly promoting other shows with their attendance. Which I don't think means they actively avoid SGF, but moreso results in Nintendo weighing other strategic factors - e.g. the timing of their upcoming releases - higher. The June/early Summer timeslot is important for them to show both audiences and retailers their H2/holiday line up, but whether it's two weeks earlier or later doesn't matter that much.

Looks like VGC is corroborating as well, so I think its a lock even more

It's always a game of chicken in which a number of people know the info and just wait and wait and wait and don't want to be the first to actually disclose anything, but when the gate finally opens they feel comfortable corroborating each other.

The thing is, that looks to a lot of people like piggybacking, when it's more not wanting to be in the crosshairs that comes with breaking info. Not to say it's never piggybacking, but you've got to look at who is saying what, and if that person is more reputable than not.

I've never seen this source before so it made me more skeptical. Is this Nate's thing? Wasn't clear

I'm no conspriacy theorist, but such late date is kind of odd. I would only do that if I had something big and I wanted to be sure that no one else would steal my thunder.
But well, I'm not Nintendo.

When do these directs usually get annouced?
We have never been in a such situation before so it's hard to say, but usually non-e3 directs get announced same week that they happen, if there is treehouse they might announce it next week

I'm still holding onto hope that Twilight Princess HD/Wind Waker HD get announced for Switch at this event. That being said I did set up my Wii U again, prepared both of these games and picked up a used Wii U Pro controller just in case. I'll likely just go back and play the Wii U versions (have not played those versions before) if Nintendo doesn't announce these in the Direct for Switch. I figured with BOTW 2 coming next year it would be even less likely to see these titles in 2023.
The sad thing is that with Miiverse dead you’re gonna miss the message in a bottle mechanic in Wind Waker HD. It really helped with the figurine quest!

That’s one of the reasons I want a new version of the game for Switch

It's PRIME Time! If not, i will give that direct an grade F - ZERO confidence that Aonuma as a PERSONA will show up though.

I think it's going to be a normal Direct so the announcement will come a day or two before. When it was associated with E3, the summer Direct was given special attention but since it's not this year, I think it will just be a typical Direct. No Treehouse.

@NateDrake

Nate, last year we got the direct on June 15th I think, just about 3 weeks later we got the Switch OLED announcement.

Could this maybe mean, that they pushed it this late to announce it in the Direct and show games at the same time to show how they are benefiting from it?

No hints if you dont want to, just your personal opinion ;)

The more I think about it, the weirder I think it is that Alanah Pearce would just drop this info just like that. Despite her saying that it wasnt Nintendo that told her, it strikes me as very odd thing to do.

I'm sure Sony wouldnt be thrilled if an employee of another videogame company would outright say that the next highly awaited SoP event is coming up at a specific date.

Now this doesnt really affect me and I'm happy to have it all but confirmed it's happening, but I dont think I would have ever dared doing such a thing if I was employed by a competing platform.

I don’t get why it’s so late, even though there’s no E3 June is still the month everyone announces their stuff so why couldn’t they just get their usual tuesday spot as usual, or at least in the same week. I don’t think they would ever make a presentation right after their shareholder meeting (which is the 29th at 10 am JST). This would feel especially off if NA gets a big eShop sale this week, so one week after Europe.

It’s kind of a bummer to have to wait two whole weeks for Nintendo news while everyone else is getting their fix, last year we just got Metroid Dread out of nowhere… They better have F-Zero or something to compensate

I don’t get why it’s so late, even though there’s no E3 June is still the month everyone announces their stuff so why couldn’t they just get their usual tuesday spot as usual, or at least in the same week. I don’t think they would ever make a presentation right after their shareholder meeting (which is the 29th at 10 am JST). This would feel especially off if NA gets a big eShop sale this week, so one week after Europe.

It’s kind of a bummer to have to wait two whole weeks for Nintendo news while everyone else is getting their fix, last year we just got Metroid Dread out of nowhere… They better have F-Zero or something to compensate
They probably wanted out of the whole “Summer Game Fest” window and not let Geoff pretend like Nintendo is a part of “his show.”

The more I think about it, the weirder I think it is that Alanah Pearce would just drop this info just like that. Despite her saying that it wasnt Nintendo that told her, it strikes me as very odd thing to do.

I'm sure Sony wouldnt be thrilled if an employee of another videogame company would outright say that the next highly awaited SoP event is coming up at a specific date.

Now this doesnt really affect me and I'm happy to have it all but confirmed it's happening, but I dont think I would have ever dared doing such a thing if I was employed by a competing platform.
I think it's because she just figured it was already announced. She and her circle probably have known about it for a while.

The shareholder meeting in June is largely procedural, they don't usually talk about games or sales or anything there. It's typically just voting for the board of directors and things like that.

They probably want the news cycle to themselves for the Direct, since they aren't really beholden to E3 timing this year. Plus, it's after FEWTH releases so they can give that a little time to breathe before they announce some new games.

I find it super weird too. Not even subtly dropping hints but just checking a notebook and directly confirming it. I know Nintendo didn‘t tell her directly but someone under NDA did so to be so blasé about it is so strange to me. Well but good for us I guess cos now we know the date.

companies obviously have no obligation to plan these things around the e3 time frame, but I find it a bit obnoxious that sony and nintendo seem to be spacing them out while still trying to generally fit them into June. I get that you risk being buried by other shit by lining it all up at once, but the hardcore fans that watch these things have come to love the deluge of news, myself included. lame!

I heard there might be Nintendo games at a direct in the future.

Sounds Iike balderdash to me, but I guess anything can happen

Last edited:
companies obviously have no obligation to plan these things around the e3 time frame, but I find it a bit obnoxious that sony and nintendo seem to be spacing them out while still trying to generally fit them into June. I get that you risk being buried by other shit by lining it all up at once, but the hardcore fans that watch these things have come to love the deluge of news, myself included. lame!
The hardcore fans are going to watch no matter when they air the presentation, so there's no need for Nintendo and Sony to plan around them. It's the casual audience that they're targeting, and scheduling matters a lot to pull that crowd.

If this is late June could this have a knock on effect to the September one? Meaning late September/early October Direct perhaps? Guess it comes down to what they have in store for the end of the year

I kind of think they could announce a new mainline Fire Emblem before Three Hopes releases regardless. Shadows of Valentia and FE Switch were both announced a week or so after the original Fire Emblem Warriors near the start of 2017.
The absence of a mainline Fire Emblem game has been weird. Fire Emblem is very consistently a biannual series. Ignoring everything around Thracia 776 which was a jankyass time for the series (Kaga did not like the 3D lmfao), the only other three year gap I see is Awakening to Fates which is understandable because three games' worth of content. So, I'm really curious what's next for the series.

Also I don't think we've talked before so hi.
I was never part of NintendoEra or whatever it was called, so I'm probably a new face to a lot of folks here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom