• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Alan Wake II |ST| Wake In Fright (UP: The Final Draft out now - New Game+, New Ending, Nightmare Difficulty)

Nightingale in general was very much reminding me of Creature in the Glass Box from The Return, as well.
the body they find in the premiere ep also looks sooo much like Nightingale from the opening down with all its naked hairy maleness, it's really fascinating. The glass box instantly made me yell out "CONTROL! THE FRIDGE!" lol

The chapter break songs are so well produced and really good. Apparently Sam Lake wrote poetry (yes, really) when he went to the music booth for all the artists to help describe the events & themes and showed scenes from the game to get the music artists into the mood when creating the music.

@Red Monster you were curious earlier how spooky this game is and now that I’ve played 10+ hours I think I can give an update at least. Whereas the first game I wouldn’t classify as scary, this new game is far more menacing throughout. You are overall not as powerful and have much tighter resources to manage than the first game. Some of the areas where you know you are in hostile territory and the visibility is poor (like a dark forest in the rain with heavy fog) feel appropriately unnerving. There’s a lot of jump scares to the extent they become expected, but some of them are pretty effective. Also there is more blood / violence here with a creepy cult involved so it’s a little more uncomfortable there. All of that said, I’m largely handling it fine. I think if you got through Resident Evil 2, you’ll be fine.

….

Just a quick update here otherwise from me, I finished Saga’s chapter 3 and 4. I was originally planning to stick to Saga’s story through but given there was a playable Alan section, I’m curious to see what’s going on in the other story now.

OMG Alan Wake’s Chapter 4:

Alan Wake The Musical was absolutely incredible. I’m so glad I have a manual save just outside of it lol. This segment is going to be hard to top for me haha.

@Red Monster you were curious earlier how spooky this game is and now that I’ve played 10+ hours I think I can give an update at least. Whereas the first game I wouldn’t classify as scary, this new game is far more menacing throughout. You are overall not as powerful and have much tighter resources to manage than the first game. Some of the areas where you know you are in hostile territory and the visibility is poor (like a dark forest in the rain with heavy fog) feel appropriately unnerving. There’s a lot of jump scares to the extent they become expected, but some of them are pretty effective. Also there is more blood / violence here with a creepy cult involved so it’s a little more uncomfortable there. All of that said, I’m largely handling it fine. I think if you got through Resident Evil 2, you’ll be fine.

….

Just a quick update here otherwise from me, I finished Saga’s chapter 3 and 4. I was originally planning to stick to Saga’s story through but given there was a playable Alan section, I’m curious to see what’s going on in the other story now.
weren't they asking specifically about the first game?

weren't they asking specifically about the first game?
Specifically yes, but I think Red wanted to know about this game too. Probably should have been more clear about that in my post above as it could read weird otherwise sorry.

So, is this THAT good as I've read around?
Still replaying the Remastered on Switch right now, with many GamePass games active (Yakuza Ishin, Dead Space Remake) so no time for this, but hype is real: this could be my Christmas game after all

So, is this THAT good as I've read around?
Still replaying the Remastered on Switch right now, with many GamePass games active (Yakuza Ishin, Dead Space Remake) so no time for this, but hype is real: this could be my Christmas game after all
I think I’m halfway through (it’s a little hard to gauge as chapter lengths wildly vary), but so far I’m thoroughly enjoying this game. Currently on track to be one of my favorite games this year.

Any idea how this is on Series X? I saw DF put up a PS5 and PC video but nothing on Xbox yet.

I managed to start last night and got in a good hour, certainly seems totally fine on XSX (and by fine I mean looks jawdroppingly gorgeous lol). Had a little switch back and forth between quality and performance and both seem to be behaving as they should, although I'm not a deep fps buff or pixel counter or anything!

As for the actual game, oh my god, this game is 🔥 for someone who likes to spend absolutely inordinate amounts of time prodding at every little detail and look in every corner. It's so detailed and rewarding. I feel like I'm going to crawl through this game because I want to be able to sit down with the lights out, headphones on, the full thing.

Last edited:
There are been a handful of points where I thought Saga sounded kind of British.

Just went to look up her voice actress and, wouldn’t you know it, they’re British. Guess it slips through sometimes lol.

I managed to start last night and got in a good hour, certainly seems totally fine on XSX (and by fine I mean looks jawdroppingly gorgeous lol). Had a little switch back and forth between quality and performance and both seem to be behaving as they should, although I'm not a deep fps buff or pixel counter or anything!

As for the actual game, oh my god, this game is 🔥 for someone who likes to spend absolutely inordinate amounts of time prodding at every little detail and look in every corner. It's so detailed and rewarding. I feel like I'm going to crawl through this game because I want to be able to sit down with the lights out, headphones on, the full thing.
Thanks for your impressions. I want to get it on PS5 for DualSense but I feel like VRR would help in performance mode.

I just ended Part 1 and enjoying it a lot on the whole - the combat is less my jam but thats ok - i havent found the aiming sensitivity sweet spot which is usually my issue with these games but have popped it down to story to get used to it and then will put it back up to normal later (or just enjoy without having to be as good?)

Tapio is cracking me the fuck up, i really wouldn't mind seeing a Remedy game that's just full-on comedy at some point.

Apparently Sam Lake wrote poetry

goddamn i still remember that poetry blog totally-not-written-by-Sam-Lake that used to be just Alan Wake (and eventually Control) teases, what a ride these last 13 years have been

There are been a handful of points where I thought Saga sounded kind of British.

Just went to look up her voice actress and, wouldn’t you know it, they’re British. Guess it slips through sometimes lol.
hahaha yea me too, kinda funny that nobody caught that during recording

Gotten through first chapter and some of the second and wow. Yeah, The Return was a MASSIVE inspiration on this game, and that's great.
After almost a year of games for teens and games that try to be for adults but end up juvenile it's nice to play something that actually feels adult.
Fun and incredibly funny in a very Lynch way.

The only thing I don't like are jumpscares. They legit feel like something out of 2006 flash game since it's just an image that takes up the entire screen and screams at you. They kinda fit when the world's already abstract, like during profiling, but there are a few that just happen for no reason.

Haven't played AW1 so I wonder how lost I'll be. Also, Alan Wake is kind of a shit writer. All his manuscripts are comprised of like 3-word sentences.

The only thing I don't like are jumpscares. They legit feel like something out of 2006 flash game since it's just an image that takes up the entire screen and screams at you. They kinda fit when the world's already abstract, like during profiling, but there are a few that just happen for no reason.
These are 100% the worst part of the game. Being randomly startled =/= good horror. I really wish we could turn these off.

These are 100% the worst part of the game. Being randomly startled =/= good horror. I really wish we could turn these off.
I did like the blood well and the many Cynthia ones in Saga’s chapters 3 and 5 respectively. I agree it certainly gets overused and if there was an option to turn them off I probably would in a heartbeat, but some of them got me I guess haha.

Haven't played AW1 so I wonder how lost I'll be.
For one, that's the point. That's why Saga is there who doesn't know any of it, and then Alan's just confused in general about what's going on and you really don't need to know anything (and what you need to/should know, they literally just tell you). So don't worry about it.

Unless you can collect it later, please tell me if so, I can’t seem to collect the 7th Pat Maine radio broadcast just past Saga’s chapter 5 on the cliffside past the nursing home where he is talking about Deerfest. My game state is getting a little gnarly in spots as I have a table from a fight in the previous chapter blocking one of the doorways in the ispoiler tagged location and I almost had it where a door I opened got relocked with a checkpoint to that location entirely. Thankfully in that case I was able to reload backwards, but it took about 20 mins to redo everything 🙃.

hope it’s fine asking here rather than bumping the old port thread: how is the first game on Switch? I know it had some major issues at launch, is it pretty solid now?
also, how much of that game involves shooting humanoid enemies (relative to like…investigation stuff or whatever other forms of gameplay it has lol…or even just shooting weird horror creatures)? the extreme prevalence of that stuff in RE4 made me bounce off it pretty quick, curious how similar Alan Wake is

hope it’s fine asking here rather than bumping the old port thread: how is the first game on Switch? I know it had some major issues at launch, is it pretty solid now?
also, how much of that game involves shooting humanoid enemies (relative to like…investigation stuff or whatever other forms of gameplay it has lol…or even just shooting weird horror creatures)? the extreme prevalence of that stuff in RE4 made me bounce off it pretty quick, curious how similar Alan Wake is
I know reports said otherwise but I (re-)played the whole game around launch on Switch and even that was "fine" (I played the original back in 2010 on 360). It got patched since and got quite a bit better. There is ZERO investigating anything in Alan Wake 1. That game is a shooter. You shoot humans taken over by shadows (they're literally just shadow clouds shaped like people that mutter phrases at you). That's all. You run through the woods, mountains, town, and you shoot those shadow enemies (all humans and ...umm ...sometimes objects) with the occasional murder of crows out in the open. The combat is always: shine flashlight at enemy to burn darkness away, then shoot with pistol or shotgun or flaregun or drop a flashbang or dodge and run if you're not boxed in. There's a lot of that. There's also stretches of downtime and sometimes you drive around a bit.

You can set it to easy and just roll over everything and just bask in the glory that is the atmosphere and vibes and weirdness and incredible music.

I know reports said otherwise but I (re-)played the whole game around launch on Switch and even that was "fine" (I played the original back in 2010 on 360). It got patched since and got quite a bit better. There is ZERO investigating anything in Alan Wake 1. That game is a shooter. You shoot humans taken over by shadows (they're literally just shadow clouds shaped like people that mutter phrases at you). That's all. You run through the woods, mountains, town, and you shoot those shadow enemies (all humans and ...umm ...sometimes objects) with the occasional murder of crows out in the open. The combat is always: shine flashlight at enemy to burn darkness away, then shoot with pistol or shotgun or flaregun or drop a flashbang or dodge and run if you're not boxed in. There's a lot of that. There's also stretches of downtime and sometimes you drive around a bit.

You can set it to easy and just roll over everything and just bask in the glory that is the atmosphere and vibes and weirdness and incredible music.
thank you! yeah i'm interested in the vibes but the gameplay sounds like perhaps not my thing, i'll give it some thought and look at some footage before the current NA sale ends (in like 6 hours lol)

Digital Foundry XBox Performance and Tech review

Thanks for posting. Looks like the performance mode is better on SeX than PS5. Urge to buy on Xbox rising. I wish this dumb game had a physical release so I could buy it on both without worrying. I hate buying digital full price games.

I’m about 10 hours in now and I really really like this game. The twin peaks season 3 vibes are strong.

Thanks for posting. Looks like the performance mode is better on SeX than PS5. Urge to buy on Xbox rising. I wish this dumb game had a physical release so I could buy it on both without worrying. I hate buying digital full price games.
I'm on PS5 and happy in quality mode for what it's worth but yeah I would have loved a physical release, but I guess Epic Games has no incentive to do so

Yeah I've been playing quality mode on PS5 and it's been a good experience. The cinematic feel probably helps. Worst part is some of the shimmering that happens, particularly indoors.

Currently in the subway tunnels with Alan, this game is so so good. Using the plot beats to shift the world and the pathways is such a clever interesting idea, particularly the way the lighting and mood will shift to match the tone of the beat. It's been quite some time since I played a game just dripping with atmosphere like this.

The other night it kind of hit me how close I was to the Platinum trophy so I spent most of tonight grabbing all of Saga’s collectibles. I’m past her point of no return and have switched back to Alan so provided I don’t miss his last five collectibles I should get the Platinum when I finish the game.

I completed it last night and I have so many thoughts. It’s my GOTY without question and already very high on my list of favourites of all time.

Remedy’s use of live action just gets better and better. I personally liked the flashing images / jumpscares but I can understand why some found them annoying.

Some of the puzzles actually made me think for a bit which is nice when a lot of puzzles nowadays are just “find the combination on the side of the safe”. There were some simpler ones like that too so it was a nice mix! Some of the puzzles in the Alan section with the light / writing prompts were fun and I’d go through every combination just to make sure I witnessed all the different rooms. It’s a really clever mechanic that fits well with Wake being a writer. Also loved the investigation stuff with Saga. Hopefully Remedy continue to iterate on those mechanics because there’s so much more they can do in the future I’m sure!

Now for some very spoilery thoughts — DO NOT OPEN if you haven’t finished the game.

The musical chapter is an obvious highlight. Remedy continue to find ways to make crazier and crazier set pieces! Also so much great humour in the collectibles and dialogue between NPCs.
A fifteen minute Finnish short film starring Sam Lake? Beautiful. English subtitles too which was much appreciated.

At first I was a bit miffed by the way Alice was killed off. I loved Alan’s sacrifice to save her in the first game and although I don’t need an eventual happy ending, I’d hoped he’d at least get to have one more moment with her…

Then the end credit scene swept the rug out from under my feet. I love it. Maybe we’ll get a playable Alice one day with a mechanic that focuses on photography? The Scratch / Alice stuff was some of my favourite horror stuff in the game. The last moments of her before her “death” were harrowing. I’m really glad it ended in a way that blew my mind and I wasn’t left a bit disappointed, which is where I was heading before the final scene.

I also liked the cliffhanger Saga was left on but can imagine it’ll be pretty divisive. I’m pretty sure Logan will be alive when we find out what happens next, but it’s a bit of a twisted way to end her story for now. You can feel her hope fade with each phone ring.

I think the performances were all fantastic and will be rooting for Villi / Porretta getting the TGA award this year but I have to mention Christina Cole as Alice. I thought she was incredible in every scene she was in and she nailed the final reveal.

I loved hearing and seeing so many old faces. What happened to Cynthia Weaver was tragic but extremely cool. I’m gutted Barry wasn’t anywhere but I went in expecting him to not turn up. The bits of lore we got about him were cool and with potential ties to Control it definitely looks like he’ll appear sooner rather than later. May have been a blessing he skipped out the horror story as we all know what usually happens to comic relief characters…

Much, much more to ponder on. I wasn’t even thinking about a potential Alan Wake 3 but if we do get one hopefully it doesn’t take 13 years! I know Estevez was joking when she welcomed Saga to the FBC but I can definitely see that being the next step for her. I really liked Estevez too! Hopefully she has a significant role in Control 2. I also loved the Jesse cameo.

Man, this game. I love it so much. I can’t believe it’s real. It might not be for everyone, but it can’t be denied just how creative and risky and passionate it is.

While the presentation is fantastic and characters are great, I was pretty lukewarm on first two chapters. Now that I'm playing as Alan the game got way weirder and way more meta in a way that I like a lot.

Hoping that if/when I get back to Saga story will shift a little, because the amount of magical detectiving was a bit too much. Not only did she have manuscripts guiding her every three steps, but upon every roadblock you could just use magical profiling from the Francis York Morgan's school of FBI and immediately solve everything.

I finished Alan Wake II tonight with the Platinum trophy. I loved this game! Absolutely worth the 13 year wait and it proved a great follow up to Control as well on a few fronts. The peak was definitely Alan Wake’s chapter 4, but I was so invested in the twists and turns from beginning to end. It definitely kept me guessing throughout except the actual ending minus one of the twists haha. (When I saw Zane’s film I knew lol)

I was really impressed by the menacing atmosphere throughout, though I got significantly better as I played through and leveled up my characters enough that definitely took the sting off combat. I was definitely a hoarder as well which probably made it harder than it should have been, though it’s hard to judge where your resources should be used as you go through it.

Big shoutout to the music throughout with Herald of Darkness being the big standout. I don’t know the name of it, but the loop song that frequently ended Alan’s chapters was good fun too.

I did have a few glitches that were a bummer. For sure I couldn’t get one of Saga’s inventory pouches to spawn which definitely made the game tougher than it should have been. More disappointingly, unless it is part of the promised New Game+ update or a weird thematic thing (which I guess you can’t rule out!), Pat Maine’s radio broadcasts seemingly became glitched on my end with the seventh one as it wouldn’t let me collect it and then the two future radios looped it twice.

But yeah! It was awesome! I can’t wait to see what the DLC brings. I hope we get more of Mr. Door.

Really enjoying this, and it looks amazing maxxed out on my pc. But good god is the atmosphere and tone almost too good. The game is like the last of us part 2 for me, in that if I play it for more than like an hour I start to feel bad due to the oppressive nature of it. So i can only play like an hour at a time before I need a positivity boost From mario wonder lol. But I just beat chapter 4 which was incredible.

Early game Remedy connected universe:

I popped when Shawn Ashmore showed up as the Sheriff lmao I was like okay here we go, then he just goes ahead and introduces himself as (Quan)Tim (Break)er, and then he's hunting for Warlim Door in place of Martin Hatch. Very cool. Quantum Break was not a perfect game and kind of came out at a time where it was basically radioactive to be an xbox exclusive but I have always had a soft spot for it so it's very cool to see that stuff pop up.

I popped when Shawn Ashmore showed up as the Sheriff lmao I was like okay here we go, then he just goes ahead and introduces himself as (Quan)Tim (Break)er, and then he's hunting for Warlim Door in place of Martin Hatch. Very cool. Quantum Break was not a perfect game and kind of came out at a time where it was basically radioactive to be an xbox exclusive but I have always had a soft spot for it so it's very cool to see that stuff pop up.
I didn’t pick up on either of those lol. I read about only the second one a little while ago, so I didn’t realize the connection or the extent of it. That’s amazing.

I didn’t pick up on either of those lol. I read about only the second one a little while ago, so I didn’t realize the connection or the extent of it. That’s amazing.

Yes! I think it would be more obvious if Lance Reddick had been able to play the character of Door . I'm just about to arrive at the trailer park with Saga so I think I'm still relatively early on (haven't switch back to Alan yet) and already they have fit so many cool references in and the main plot is just interesting on it's own. Just such a satisfying experience, I love that they've managed to come to this point.

Yes! I think it would be more obvious if Lance Reddick had been able to play the character of Door . I'm just about to arrive at the trailer park with Saga so I think I'm still relatively early on (haven't switch back to Alan yet) and already they have fit so many cool references in and the main plot is just interesting on it's own. Just such a satisfying experience, I love that they've managed to come to this point.
Yeah before I read about it I saw the special thanks in the credits and was curious about it.

I'm in the extreme endgame (probably <1 hour left), and I cannot believe what they're pulling off with this game. Some of the best storytelling, environmental design, and blend of game mechanics and writing that I've ever seen in a game. I'm absolutely enthralled with it, and I can't believe that a game is very likely to topple TotK and Baldur's Gate 3 as my personal GotY.

It may seem hyperbolic to say, but this game feels important for the industry. They are so incredibly confident with the swings they're taking, and every single one is landing for me. My only huge issue with this is Remedy not making a physical release, but after playing the game I'm more understanding of why that may have had to be the case. I hope they announce one soon.

I'm in the extreme endgame (probably <1 hour left), and I cannot believe what they're pulling off with this game. Some of the best storytelling, environmental design, and blend of game mechanics and writing that I've ever seen in a game. I'm absolutely enthralled with it, and I can't believe that a game is very likely to topple TotK and Baldur's Gate 3 as my personal GotY.

It may seem hyperbolic to say, but this game feels important for the industry. They are so incredibly confident with the swings they're taking, and every single one is landing for me. My only huge issue with this is Remedy not making a physical release, but after playing the game I'm more understanding of why that may have had to be the case. I hope they announce one soon.

I don’t mind digital only but I’m hopeful we see a physical copy. I’m thinking it’ll be when the DLCs are out so the complete thing is on disk. I was a bit gutted there was no collectors edition, though I got a thermos on eBay so that was a decent replacement.

No evidence but I do feel Epic was probably behind the decision for digital only. AW remastered only recently recouped costs and it had a physical release. If it was Epic’s decision hopefully the numbers end up good enough for them and they decide to do a physical run. Even if it’s a limited run I know it would sell fast as there’s a lot of people waiting for a physical and others like myself who would double dip.

I just put Alan on pause and finally started QB which I planned on playing after. Had the boxed PC game sitting here for years but the time was never right. I know it's not "important" for playing/enjoying AW2 but it's always been a blind spot and it just doesn't feel right to not have played it, especially given the extremely on-point easter egg they put into the first five minutes of QB with that live-action video that iirc was also on youtube which, funnily enough, ended up a pretty spot-on teaser for the opening premise of AW2.

I beat the game today.

It's my GotY. I cannot believe some of the stuff they pull off in this game.

"𝑆ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑚𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑚𝑝𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑜𝑓 𝐿𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡. 𝐼'𝑙𝑙 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐻𝑒𝑟𝑎𝑙𝑑 𝑜𝑓 𝐷𝑎𝑟𝑘𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠."

Playing it right now, after patch, it totally is a more than fine experience.
can't wait to wrap it up, to pass to AW2 on my Series S

I caught another one! When you stop in with Tim on the way to the oceanview hotel, his whiteboard has an update about his dreams where he sees different versions of people he knows, he mentions the woman with the red hair; definitely a reference to Beth from Quantum Break and Jesse from Control, both played by the same actress haha

"𝑆ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑚𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑚𝑝𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑜𝑓 𝐿𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡. 𝐼'𝑙𝑙 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐻𝑒𝑟𝑎𝑙𝑑 𝑜𝑓 𝐷𝑎𝑟𝑘𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠."

This was absolutely fantastic

I just put Alan on pause and finally started QB which I planned on playing after. Had the boxed PC game sitting here for years but the time was never right. I know it's not "important" for playing/enjoying AW2 but it's always been a blind spot and it just doesn't feel right to not have played it, especially given the extremely on-point easter egg they put into the first five minutes of QB with that live-action video that iirc was also on youtube which, funnily enough, ended up a pretty spot-on teaser for the opening premise of AW2.

Quantum Break is really good, I played it for the first time either last year or the year before and don't know why I held off on it for so long. being the Remedy fan that I am, I really enjoyed it, warts and all.
Lance Reddick is so good in it.

Some good cyberpunk/sci-fi music in there too:

I'd love to see a sequel, especially how much of an upgrade Alan Wake II is to Alan Wake 1!

Quantum Break is really good, I played it for the first time either last year or the year before and don't know why I held off on it for so long. being the Remedy fan that I am, I really enjoyed it, warts and all.
Lance Reddick is so good in it.

Some good cyberpunk/sci-fi music in there too:

I'd love to see a sequel, especially how much of an upgrade Alan Wake II is to Alan Wake 1!

Absolutely agree. I think Microsoft have publishing rights but would like to think something can be sorted out there. Remedy are at a higher peak than they've ever been before, it would be really cool to see what they could do with QB now

Back
Top Bottom