• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Alan Wake II |ST| Wake In Fright (UP: The Final Draft out now - New Game+, New Ending, Nightmare Difficulty)

aus89

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
zGWlxrR.png

JOjBSqd.png

FWl50CD.png

9eOIpjp.png

c66Z1yZ.png

PpQDLeI.png

bLxgfoo.png

oC7Ftl9.png

T05WIQe.png

c6S6Ban.png

JdAnrpt.png

lMwu1dr.png

yyRZXDS.png

8VCCJZ2.png

kMN8met.png

ZBprokb.png

CUrHSfn.png

bcl2G7k.png

ruHAywW.png

xet0sL5.png

TngSoy5.png

2k72pVQ.png

f3wrjb7.png

Last edited:
Awesome ST @aus89 ! Once I wrap up Spider-Man 2 I’ll be all in on Alan Wake II. I’m so excited it’s finally here after all of these years :)

Awesome ST @aus89 ! Once I wrap up Spider-Man 2 I’ll be all in on Alan Wake II. I’m so excited it’s finally here after all of these years :)
yeah i should be wrapping up Spidey in the next cpl days and then will go on to AW2 - looks great so far, interested to see reviews

Really nice ST! I’m sad I won’t be able to play this right away, because it looks terrific. Someone give me the Old Gods of Asgard scoop if you find one 🤘

Seems like a lot of reviews in progress. I guess outlets got this one a bit late. Really good start review wise though.

I have been waiting a loooooooong time for this puppy. Can't wait to leap into this on Saturday after my cursed social life foils me on Friday.

Remedy really are in the 'who are the best devs in the industry currently?' conversation right now.

Remedy really are in the 'who are the best devs in the industry currently?' conversation right now.
For sure!

Using their own game engine to create a unique and technically impressive presentation - check.
Releasing a game seemingly without major problems at launch - check (although, lets see about Series S..)
Using the medium in interesting ways to tell stories - check
Clear creative direction and vision - check

let's hope they can stay away from getting swallowed by one of the giants for a while.

So happy with the scores! I’d be playing this tomorrow regardless of reviews, but always great to see a game you’re excited for get a high rating. Remedy deserves its flowers and the fact it Alan Wake 2 makes it all the more sweeter.

Just so ready to play now. 20 hours is the perfect length too and I’m sure that can easily be extended by hunting down every single bit of lore.

Love the ST and the Twin Peaks reference!

Oh man, even the MC scores are better than my personal predictions.

My PC can just barely squeak by the minimum settings but if the game does get a port to nuSwitch then it looks like it'll be easily worth the double dip

Trying not to rush through the end of Spidey 2 to get to this haha, though it got a patch today so might be worth waiting and getting a few patches to smooth some of the tech issues out

Got a little over 2 chapters in. It definitely feels like a modern and expanded version of the first game. And there is definitely a lot of RE influence.

It’s really cool how the town layout is pretty much identical to the first.

Really not a fan of the super random “face flash on screen” jump scares, though. They’re more annoying than scary. I wish you could turn them off.

I platinumed Spider-Man an hour or two ago, so later today belongs fully to Alan Wake :) Super excited to dive in!

Starting this tonight, so hyped, downloading it right now.
Great OP, by the way, very stylish.

I’ve got the first game waiting for me. As an admittedly big scared baby who could barely get through RE2R, I gotta ask - just how scary is Alan Wake?

Alan Wake 1 isn't scary at all really. At least to me it wasn't. It's an action shooter game with horror elements and atmosphere. You'll be fine.

This looks to ramp up the horror a lot though in 2 (in Sam Lake's own words "Remedy's first survival horror").

I’ve got the first game waiting for me. As an admittedly big scared baby who could barely get through RE2R, I gotta ask - just how scary is Alan Wake?
I’m not a horror fan either and the first Alan Wake isn’t scary at all. Most somewhat disturbing thing is in the first hour or two personally and it never quite taps into it again despite being a recurring thing. Guy gets possessed by dark forces, first main one’s voice sounds extra creepy.

This game is so good you guys. I made maybe 30 minutes of progress in 6 hours of messing around, taking screenshots and randomly walking around (and taking breaks to post pics and have food) lol.

They probably dialed up the Twin Peaks silliness even more. The hotel rooms in town are literally the same as those in the Great Northern :D (I don't recall that hotel being open in the first game?).

The facial animations even for fully in-game scenes are so good and natural. It's absolutely nuts.

The vibes in the woods and everything are also just next level. I love Remedy so much.

edit:
PS: @aus89 I see you did settle on the II instead of the 2, you rebel :D

Last edited:
I’m not a horror fan either and the first Alan Wake isn’t scary at all. Most somewhat disturbing thing is in the first hour or two personally and it never quite taps into it again despite being a recurring thing. Guy gets possessed by dark forces, first main one’s voice sounds extra creepy.
on the other hand, as someone who once had to walk home through the woods at night when it was literally pitch black (this was early cellphone days, early fliphone era so no phone lights), the night-time sequences in the first game are actually the legit classic kind of "scary" because the night time lighting and atmosphere is so well done. It's not scary because of monsters but because if "scared of the dark" is your thing, then this will probably get you. Scary can mean lots of things to different people. Residents Evils are not what I'd call scary (for me) but this, in parts, more fits the bill. But you do get lots of actiony bits where you're running around and it's not as much "ooh spooky darkness" too so I also don't wanna oversell that part.

Anyway, Remedy made a point of distinctly calling this new game their first survival horror to differentiate it from the first game. The first Alan Wake can be tense, tries to jump-scare you occasionally with enemies coming out of nowhere to surprise you, has lots of "alone in the very very dark woods at night" moments but also plenty of blast off action galore sequences that aren't scary in any real way imo.

If you did manage to get through RE2R, you should easily make it through this (AW1).

Alan Wake 1 isn't scary at all really. At least to me it wasn't. It's an action shooter game with horror elements and atmosphere. You'll be fine.

This looks to ramp up the horror a lot though in 2 (in Sam Lake's own words "Remedy's first survival horror").
there's also American Nightmare, which is deliberately campy. with the in-universe justification that Alan is stuck inside an episode of an in-universe horror anthology series. i previously described it as being like "a grindhouse film"

while it's currently locked to PC in terms of modern systems, i believe Remedy has stated it's still somewhat canon. which should be interesting to see considering a more serious take on the American Nightmare's antagonist, an evil clone of Alan known as "Mr. Scratch". is a major part of II's storyline.

This game is so good you guys. I made maybe 30 minutes of progress in 6 hours of messing around, taking screenshots and randomly walking around (and taking breaks to post pics and have food) lol.

They probably dialed up the Twin Peaks silliness even more. The hotel rooms in town are literally the same as those in the Great Northern :D (I don't recall that hotel being open in the first game?).

The facial animations even for fully in-game scenes are so good and natural. It's absolutely nuts.

The vibes in the woods and everything are also just next level. I love Remedy so much.

edit:
PS: @aus89 I see you did settle on the II instead of the 2, you rebel :D
haha what can i say... i am an auteur

Finished Chapter 1 and got started a bit in Chapter 2. So glad to be back in Bright Falls and see more of this weird world. Favorite line so far: “oh no a bear”

I did*!

I got through Leon’s story. On easy mode. With a walkthrough. And the infinite ammo cheat.
:D Alan also has easy modes, doesn't really need walkthroughs unless you're really into collecting coffee thermoses that don't do anything or manuscript pages that you could also just look up on a wiki/video afterwards :D

My laptop is doing better than i thought it would, but the woods area are quite demanding nonetheless...

Anyway i still can't believe i'm actually playing Alan Wake II, holy shit.

I'm hearing this game has incredible atmosphere/narrative/presentation but is a little light on the gameplay/walking sim.

Without any spoilers is that an accurate assessment? Is the combat a big step up from 1? I've just got so many games on my plate right now... if it's similar to something like Outlast I can wait.

while it's currently locked to PC in terms of modern systems
American Nightmare is back-compat for Xbox as well! I played it on Series S this year. Locked to 30 FPS, but everything looked and played fine.

And yessss everyone should totally play American Nightmare it rips!

Now that Alan Wake II is finally here, I think it’s time for a sequel to this:

I can't believe I'm finally playing Alan Wake II. The intro was amazing, I can't wait to play more !

I finished Alan Wake’s first part, this is amazing so far. Was happy to see Ahti back from Control and the talk show segment was excellent. I haven’t quite nailed the combat yet. It feels good except the dodge is so tight and enemy attacks are so punishing. With checkpoints being sparse, I’m hoping I’ll improve otherwise I might be tempted to bump the difficulty down.

I'm hearing this game has incredible atmosphere/narrative/presentation but is a little light on the gameplay/walking sim.

Without any spoilers is that an accurate assessment? Is the combat a big step up from 1? I've just got so many games on my plate right now... if it's similar to something like Outlast I can wait.
this isn't DOOM but it's also not anywhere close to Outlast. It's a Remedy game.

Yeah this has been ace so far. Definitely much more of a narrative driven, atmospheric laden game compared to the more combat orientated first game, but the gorgeous graphics and intriguing setting more than make up for that, the end of chapter 2 was particularly pant wetting. It still retains just enough of the first game to allay my fears of the shift away from pure action. Glad they dialled up both on the dark set pieces and the campy silliness in places. Superb start. Saga's Mind Palace is a great mechanic as well.

Releasing this game only 4 years after Control ( and its DLC ) with this level of quality... Remedy is truly special

I was frustrated I was dying a lot last night and I hadn’t realized the bottom right circular gauge was health lol. To be fair to myself I was super tired and I thought I was at full when I stepped into the light as the blood would go away. Will help a ton playing the game haha. I’m in Alan Wake’s chapter 2 and I’m excited there’s upgrades to find scattered throughout each area which should also help.

If anything, in a weird sort of way, me not playing the original Alan Wake since it came out all those years ago might have helped in a way with the confusing state I find myself in with the plot. There's certain things I do remember but the way the plot keeps building up tension and twists and turns, it really helps disorientate the player, in what feels like a really intentional way.

Some of the references to The Killing (the knitted Nordic jumper), The Bridge ("Saga" named after the protag), Twin Peaks and Stephen King fiction in general so far really speaks to me.

The songs that played between each chapter is so good (as are the lyrics!), I want the soundtrack..

I played over 3 hours last night and want to play it even longer tonight, this game is amazing.

Some of the references to The Killing (the knitted Nordic jumper), The Bridge ("Saga" named after the protag), Twin Peaks and Stephen King fiction in general so far really speaks to me.

The songs that played between each chapter is so good (as are the lyrics!), I want the soundtrack..

I played over 3 hours last night and want to play it even longer tonight, this game is amazing.
huh, I've been meaning to watch the original versions of The Killing and The Bridge. This might push me over the edge finally :)

Coincidentally, I've finally started watching Twin Peaks season 3 and holy cow the way this (and bits of Control) are drawing from that are WILD (I've only just finished Alan's first bit last night ... I'm playing so slow lol). Like, even the camera flyover shots over the forest when Saga and Casey are driving - I put on the season 3 premiere and they're doing exactly that.

huh, I've been meaning to watch the original versions of The Killing and The Bridge. This might push me over the edge finally :)

Coincidentally, I've finally started watching Twin Peaks season 3 and holy cow the way this (and bits of Control) are drawing from that are WILD (I've only just finished Alan's first bit last night ... I'm playing so slow lol). Like, even the camera flyover shots over the forest when Saga and Casey are driving - I put on the season 3 premiere and they're doing exactly that.

The Killing & The Bridge are both really good. You are in for a treat. I watch a lot of those kind of shows, there's also shows most may have been missed like The Break, Le Chalet, La Forêt, Chestnut Man, Trapped. I watch them all with subs, obviously. Europe has a wealth of great mystery/neo-noir shows in recent years, it's great.

Plus the likes of Dark, The Outsider, True Detective (obviously), Hannibal...all great. I'm madly addicted to these kinds of noir/dark detective/mystery shows, so this game is really speaking to me.

Nightingale in general was very much reminding me of Creature in the Glass Box from The Return, as well.

I was super looking forward to this game. I've never played the first but Control was my first Remedy game and it was amazing. But then they announced the digital only nonsense. I'll be passing on it now unfortunately.

I’m all in on this game now that combat clicked tonight. Coffee World in Saga’s chapter 3 got creepier as it went. I wanted to fight the boss, but ran out of time. If the game lets me, I think I want to stick with Saga to the end so I can ultimately end on Alan’s story.

I promised myself I would take my time and finish Spider-man before I started this up but I absolutely cannot wait!

Any idea how this is on Series X? I saw DF put up a PS5 and PC video but nothing on Xbox yet.

Back
Top Bottom