• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp |ST| AW, here we go again!

Final play time was about 14 hours for the campaign which is shorter than I remember but it’s a really nice length I think.

Very impressive time. I will take at least double that I think to finish. I'm usually slower than the HowLongToBeat average anyway, so I'm not surprised.

The game is now 5th on the UK eShop. All the games above are Mario. Not bad! Hope it can sustain its place.

I beat the Advance Wars campaign last night. The final mission was very cool. I rolled with Grit on the left, Andy in the middle of course, and Eagle on the right. I didn't realize with Grit in Advance Wars 1 rules his indirect fire units don't have a natural damage boost. It was slow to push Sturm backwards, but it felt so satisfying as my strategies came together. Xenoblade Future Redeemed just dropped so I'll be putting clearing up the extra missions on pause, but I'm looking forward to tackling them soon enough.

The very cool thing though, was my best friend called me after midnight and I ruined my sleep schedule entirely to play eight hours of Advance Wars together. We used the Advance Wars 2 rule set and I hosted so I went second every time which put me at a big disadvantage. The first two games went fairly quickly, I lost the first one against Kanbei (couldn't even damage some of his best units with Andy sometimes, it was absurd), but I had a really good match using Eagle against Grit. Things were looking dire for a bit as my HQ almost got captured and I had lost control of the center of the map we chose, but thankfully a very well time Lightning Drive helped put us on more even terms and a second Lightning Drive sealed the deal. (I love that Eagle is voiced by ProZD incidentally. "LIGHTNING DRIVE!" always makes me smile lol)

Our third and final round took hours however. We tried out Bean Island with Fog of War and I had Sonja and my friend had Sami. We set a ground rule they couldn't only use mechs, but even so no matter how many rockets, artillery, AA guns etc. I had I only could hold my friend off until they'd get Victory March and claim one property at a time that I could never reclaim. I managed to hold on for over 50 days making full use of the mountains and forests to set up choke points and react to whatever they sent my way from each direction (it felt like I was playing a Tower Defense game lol). Their final Victory March saw them enter my base and snag three out of my four bases, so I just blew up a few final NeoTanks and stuff before yielding.

Anyway the whole thing was an absolute blast and the online works really well (we had no lag or dropouts in eight hours). My advice is definitely try to unlock as many maps as possible beforehand and try to figure out what rulesets / self restrictions work best as you play.

I beat the Advance Wars campaign last night. The final mission was very cool. I rolled with Grit on the left, Andy in the middle of course, and Eagle on the right. I didn't realize with Grit in Advance Wars 1 rules his indirect fire units don't have a natural damage boost. It was slow to push Sturm backwards, but it felt so satisfying as my strategies came together. Xenoblade Future Redeemed just dropped so I'll be putting clearing up the extra missions on pause, but I'm looking forward to tackling them soon enough.

The very cool thing though, was my best friend called me after midnight and I ruined my sleep schedule entirely to play eight hours of Advance Wars together. We used the Advance Wars 2 rule set and I hosted so I went second every time which put me at a big disadvantage. The first two games went fairly quickly, I lost the first one against Kanbei (couldn't even damage some of his best units with Andy sometimes, it was absurd), but I had a really good match using Eagle against Grit. Things were looking dire for a bit as my HQ almost got captured and I had lost control of the center of the map we chose, but thankfully a very well time Lightning Drive helped put us on more even terms and a second Lightning Drive sealed the deal. (I love that Eagle is voiced by ProZD incidentally. "LIGHTNING DRIVE!" always makes me smile lol)

Our third and final round took hours however. We tried out Bean Island with Fog of War and I had Sonja and my friend had Sami. We set a ground rule they couldn't only use mechs, but even so no matter how many rockets, artillery, AA guns etc. I had I only could hold my friend off until they'd get Victory March and claim one property at a time that I could never reclaim. I managed to hold on for over 50 days making full use of the mountains and forests to set up choke points and react to whatever they sent my way from each direction (it felt like I was playing a Tower Defense game lol). Their final Victory March saw them enter my base and snag three out of my four bases, so I just blew up a few final NeoTanks and stuff before yielding.

Anyway the whole thing was an absolute blast and the online works really well (we had no lag or dropouts in eight hours). My advice is definitely try to unlock as many maps as possible beforehand and try to figure out what rulesets / self restrictions work best as you play.
I did the final battle with Andy in the middle, Max on the left and Eagle on the right.
My strategy-
I had Max feeding in strong armour units to bust through and disrupt the main enemy advance getting set up with rockets and capturing cities etc, but also had him send a couple of infantry units north in transport copters. Eagle I had setting up a mass aerial assault in the top right, but also feeding the odd fighter into the middle to discourage Sturm from sending bombers etc. When everything was set up, Max’s infantry stepped into range in the top left to bleed off some defenders, and Eagle overwhelmed the remaining anti-air units first, before using lightning drive to have his air units then sit on Sturm’s factories and airports. Wiped him out in two rounds after that.

Max’s Max Force sound effect of the bell from a boxing match going off was funny as it did feel like a left hook coming in whenever it went off!

It’s cool you can pick who assists you now, and also that AI cheating re. hidden units is fixed. Even then, sometimes I felt it could attack my naval units hidden in reefs even without having somone adjacent to them, in one case an enemy battleship firing on mine that I felt should have been protected. Weird.

I did the final battle with Andy in the middle, Max on the left and Eagle on the right.
My strategy-
I had Max feeding in strong armour units to bust through and disrupt the main enemy advance getting set up with rockets and capturing cities etc, but also had him send a couple of infantry units north in transport copters. Eagle I had setting up a mass aerial assault in the top right, but also feeding the odd fighter into the middle to discourage Sturm from sending bombers etc. When everything was set up, Max’s infantry stepped into range in the top left to bleed off some defenders, and Eagle overwhelmed the remaining anti-air units first, before using lightning drive to have his air units then sit on Sturm’s factories and airports. Wiped him out in two rounds after that.

Max’s Max Force sound effect of the bell from a boxing match going off was funny as it did feel like a left hook coming in whenever it went off!

It’s cool you can pick who assists you now, and also that AI cheating re. hidden units is fixed. Even then, sometimes I felt it could attack my naval units hidden in reefs even without having somone adjacent to them, in one case an enemy battleship firing on mine that I felt should have been protected. Weird.
Yeah I’ve also had weird behavior with reefs in fog of war too to the extent I don’t trust them :/

My main strategy for the final battle really all came down to Grit. I sent rockets and missiles up North and sent one Artillery unit up from the bottom path every turn. It really got the middle sorted out and then it was just kind of surround Sturm on all sides.

I lost my first battle last night, the mission with Sami against Sonja. I prioritised the wrong island in the beginning and that ended up costing me the game eventually, although I did manage to hang in the game for like 25 days before there the check became checkmate. It was pretty easy to reevaluate my strategy after that and I blasted through the mission on the second attempt on like somewhere just north of 10 days. Right now the game is hitting the sweet spot of “challenging but not frustrating” for me, which is phenomenal. Almost 50% of the way through the first game now. Tbh more excited to try the second game mechanically than seeing where the story goes but trying to enjoy the characters for what they are.

Finally got my game yesterday and was able to play the tutorial and the two first missions.

The first impression is that the graphics and artstyle look so much better in person. They don't bother me at all, even the capturing animation that I thought looked cheap I now think is cute and I understand the aesthetic they were going for. Sometimes I even find the graphics beautiful, especially during battle scenes. 100% satisfied on that regard, even though the original 2D game will always be more charming for me.

So far I've mostly heard the tracks that were present in the trailers, but as expected the remixes are pure fire. The soundtrack is an integral part of the AW appeal, so I'm happy they were aware of its importance and nailed it.

I think overall the game feels a bit slower and less snappier than the originals, which isn't entirely alleviated by the speed button because 1- you have to keep holding it which is a hassle and 2- it doesn't work all the time, like for example when the game is loading a CO Power. I'm still getting used to how it flows now, but I think it's something I won't notice anymore after a while.

All in all I think the game is a great modernization of AW and I'm so happy it's sparking new interest in the franchise both by old and new fans. More people need to be introduced to this series, it's too good.

Completed an epic, 34 day, S rank victory over Drake on Kita Strait (War Room) with (spoilers for the AW1 campaign) Clone Andy. Really like how they gave him more of an identity this time.

So proud to see the game topping the eShop chart! Advance Wars can sell, and Wayforward did a really good job with the remake.

I’m really no good at these games! I completed mission 5 but with a B ranking. I realized my mistake afterwards, I kept choosing a missile unit instead of a rocket. But also, the CO Power from Grit is wild.

Any advice for someone who is pretty much new to Advance Wars? I haven’t played it since the GBA when I was 11 years old and I haven’t played any other entries besides the first one back in 2001.

So proud to see the game topping the eShop chart! Advance Wars can sell, and Wayforward did a really good job with the remake.
This felt like a Samus returns scenario so I got my fingers crossed. Hopefully it meets their expectations

I haven’t played AW since the last DS game came out and it’s been so much fun to rediscover it. Deep in the second campaign now. I really hope we get a new one, or the DS games remastered too.

Finished the final battle of the first game... Aged perfectly. Gonna have a good time cleaning the the campaign up and then on to 2

I understand wanting being able to play against randoms, but isn't there a high risk of your opponent just quitting when they're on the losing end?
I think it's the main reason why this release doesn't have online against randoms. Games just take too much time to complete. Civ 6 doesn't have online on Switch, only on PS and Xbox and that also doesn't have online against randoms.
Wonder what could this means for the chances of a new game. If WF keeps the budget down, Nintendo might be interested in doing another. Hopefully with a new cast of characters, I liked the reset they had with Days of Ruin.

I understand wanting being able to play against randoms, but isn't there a high risk of your opponent just quitting when they're on the losing end?

When you're losing advance wars, it's extremely unlikely you can ever recover it against evena moderately human player.

I'll be honest, I'm a little confused as to why people don't like the idea of the opponent quitting once they've probably lost? It's like a chess game, you don't normally bother playing it out once it's obvious you've lost, you forfeit and move on. I know it can be nice to clown on something, but that's what matches against the AI are for. Nobody would want to be the one to spend a significant chunk of time when all they're doing is being the one clowned on.

When you're losing advance wars, it's extremely unlikely you can ever recover it against evena moderately human player.

I'll be honest, I'm a little confused as to why people don't like the idea of the opponent quitting once they've probably lost? It's like a chess game, you don't normally bother playing it out once it's obvious you've lost, you forfeit and move on. I know it can be nice to clown on something, but that's what matches against the AI are for. Nobody would want to be the one to spend a significant chunk of time when all they're doing is being the one clowned on.
Agreed. I think what games need to do is to encourage a sort of friendly ‘I concede’ communication that’s easier than just a ragequit disconnect. It’s true that in AW, once the enemy has significantly more resources than you and is continually able to pour out more units, and also then has forward unit-production faculties, you’re extremely unlikely to win if the opponent has even a vague idea of what counters what. It might seem like the battle is only 60% over but it’s usually a foregone conclusion at that point, the interesting bit is the stalemate. It’s also a long game, and nobody wants to spend 30 minutes sitting there while their opponent systematically captures all cities and wipes them out. Thing is, it’s not like the winning player has anything they can do to ask the enemy to surrender either. So the only options for the side with the disadvantage are to play on even when it’s clear the winner is just toying with them. I don’t mind playing on for a bit if it’s 60/40, they have a better position and I need them to make a couple of big mistakes. But if the enemy clearly has an overwhelming advantage and is pointlessly dragging it out in order to secure a total victory rather than going for the kill, I’d rather start a fresh game- that kind of play is for the computer.

Last edited:

Agreed. I think what games need to do is to encourage a sort of friendly ‘I concede’ communication that’s easier than just a ragequit disconnect. It’s true that in AW, once the enemy has significantly more resources than you and is continually able to pour out more units, and also then has forward unit-production faculties, you’re extremely unlikely to win if the opponent has even a vague idea of what counters what. It might seem like the battle is only 60% over but it’s usually a foregone conclusion at that point, the interesting bit is the stalemate. It’s also a long game, and nobody wants to spend 30 minutes sitting there while their opponent systematically captures all cities and wipes them out. Thing is, it’s not like the winning player has anything they can do to ask the enemy to surrender either. So the only options for the side with the disadvantage are to play on even when it’s clear the winner is just toying with them. I don’t mind playing on for a bit if it’s 60/40, they have a better position and I need them to make a couple of big mistakes. But if the enemy clearly has an overwhelming advantage and is pointlessly dragging it out in order to secure a total victory, I’d rather start a fresh game- that kind of play is for the computer.
I'd been thinking this as I moved to the medium sized War Room maps: the endgame can be dragged out by the CPU and any competent human player by churning out units from their base. The CPU doesn't mind grinding on, obviously, but where's the fun in that? The 'yield' option is there against the CPU, so surely that could be added to online battles, too.

The other option would've been to have more small, predeployed maps for online, which generally will be resolved far more quickly than other maps. But then CO balance becomes an issue, because if you pick Kanbei or Sturm you have a big advantage on a predeployed map.

But yeah, I think the two things you could add to online would be a Yield option and a mutually agreed save state option. For the latter, you'd get a pop up saying "P2 wants to save and resume another time"; but then you'd also need to be able to schedule a resumption of the match and who knows if Nintendo are comfortable with that kind of thing.

I'd been thinking this as I moved to the medium sized War Room maps: the endgame can be dragged out by the CPU and any competent human player by churning out units from their base. The CPU doesn't mind grinding on, obviously, but where's the fun in that? The 'yield' option is there against the CPU, so surely that could be added to online battles, too.

The other option would've been to have more small, predeployed maps for online, which generally will be resolved far more quickly than other maps. But then CO balance becomes an issue, because if you pick Kanbei or Sturm you have a big advantage on a predeployed map.

But yeah, I think the two things you could add to online would be a Yield option and a mutually agreed save state option. For the latter, you'd get a pop up saying "P2 wants to save and resume another time"; but then you'd also need to be able to schedule a resumption of the match and who knows if Nintendo are comfortable with that kind of thing.
Agree, a yield option would be great. If you want to encourage a healthy wargames community around a game that’s largely pretty balanced, people need to be ok with conceding and losing matches rather than worrying about w/l records. The winner also needs to accept that their opponent can’t be arsed to wait while they mess around with surrounding their HQ with 20 damaged units. The game should facilitate that and encourage players to get back into a fresh game quickly.

It’s not like chess where endgame can be interesting due to a handful of pieces and strict rules for victory. Anything with mass unit production stops being interesting once the exponential resource and unit disparity reaches a difference that’s often far lower than the winning player thinks it is. I love chess but If it reached a point where I had a king, a piece and two pawns left but the enemy had secured four of the five squares that let them add an extra piece each turn, I’d concede too :D

Last edited:
Agreed on the forfeiting options. The chess metaphor is good; but also when you play the Pokémon TCG online most matches end in forfeit from the losing party before it runs its course and I don’t think that removes from the experience. As long as there is a reasonable timer and turn timer most losing players won’t try to grind out a forfeit from the winning player, or at least such attempts wouldn’t be overly frustrating.

Love the discussion around yielding. I wonder if they could build yielding also into the CPU AI? I had to slog it out in the War Room against Drake (one of the earlier War Room maps but can't remember which one of the top of my head) and after 10 days (or fewer) it was inevitable I'd be winning, and that the CPU strategy was a bit of a fail. Even to the last turn when their HQ was surrounded and I had captured half of it, they were still churning out landers and artillery. I wish Drake could have waved the white flag somewhere near the end. I was surprised to finish on Day 23 (thanks to his Squall reducing my infantry HP to 9) and still get an S rank.

Honestly, I don't see a Vs. Randoms online experience to even be worth the effort of a Yield option. No one wants to be in the situation where yielding is their only escape from getting clowned on short of a rage quit disconnect.

Love the discussion around yielding. I wonder if they could build yielding also into the CPU AI? I had to slog it out in the War Room against Drake (one of the earlier War Room maps but can't remember which one of the top of my head) and after 10 days (or fewer) it was inevitable I'd be winning, and that the CPU strategy was a bit of a fail. Even to the last turn when their HQ was surrounded and I had captured half of it, they were still churning out landers and artillery. I wish Drake could have waved the white flag somewhere near the end. I was surprised to finish on Day 23 (thanks to his Squall reducing my infantry HP to 9) and still get an S rank.

As a side note, that CO Power is incredibly annoying.
Yup! One of the reasons I use Andy against Drake; you're usually within a turn or two of activating your own CO power and removing the damage from Squall. Though I'd forgotten Drake gets a 2 star defensive bonus for his naval units; imagine how horrific Eagle would be if he had 2 star defense for his air units!

Every online game needs a forfeit option. That's a (small) part of what's made Rocket League such a long-term game for me -- if you're on a team and not at all gelling and down 3-0 or 4-0, you can all just agree to call it quits and move on to the next one instead of wasting your time getting dummied in a foregone conclusion.

No one wants to be in the situation where yielding is their only escape from getting clowned on short of a rage quit disconnect.
Not really sure what you mean by this? Yes, no one wants to lose a 1v1 in anything.

Anyway, I see a value in online play for this. Even if only a few people play it, discussion around matches is always fun, (again) like chess matches.

Not really sure what you mean by this? Yes, no one wants to lose a 1v1 in anything.

Anyway, I see a value in online play for this. Even if only a few people play it, discussion around matches is always fun, (again) like chess matches.
I mean that there's losing in 1v1 versus a match dragging on because you're getting destroyed, but your opponent is intent to do as much damage as possible instead of just going for the win when they can.

It’s the difference between going for the kill quickly, and dragging it out while you capture every city while sitting on every base when you’ve got more heavy units arriving each turn then they have units left on the map.

Ok, this game needs a "reverse time option" farther than the current turn. Especially for Advance Wars where you are going for perfects/S Ranks over keeping your men alive. There's nothing more frustrating and game stopping than realizing you made a mistake on day 20 when you're on day 22.

There's nothing strategic about making you do the last 19 turns (which can take 20-30 minutes or worse depending on the mission/War Room Map) just to get to the part where you made a mistake.

Ok, this game needs a "reverse time option" farther than the current turn. Especially for Advance Wars where you are going for perfects/S Ranks over keeping your men alive. There's nothing more frustrating and game stopping than realizing you made a mistake on day 20 when you're on day 22.

There's nothing strategic about making you do the last 19 turns (which can take 20-30 minutes or worse depending on the mission/War Room Map) just to get to the part where you made a mistake.

Nah, rewinding on the current turn is more than enough. I would say there's also nothing strategic or even particularly rewarding about being able to rewind time to wherever you want to be able to make the perfect decisions when you already know what you'll be facing ahead.

Nah, rewinding on the current turn is more than enough. I would say there's also nothing strategic or even particularly rewarding about being able to rewind time to wherever you want to be able to make the perfect decisions when you already know what you'll be facing ahead.
I don't want a perfect decision, I don't want to waste 30-40+ minutes because you need to S Rank missions to get a character. If this was JUST about getting S rank it'd be fine. But no matter how broken Sturm is in multiplayer, being forced to repeat again and again and again and again and again just because you forgot one unit before hitting end turn isn't fun. Playing the last 20 turns 5 times in a row isn't fun. Either give me a way to backtrack or don't hide characters in that requirement.

I mean that there's losing in 1v1 versus a match dragging on because you're getting destroyed, but your opponent is intent to do as much damage as possible instead of just going for the win when they can.

It’s the difference between going for the kill quickly, and dragging it out while you capture every city while sitting on every base when you’ve got more heavy units arriving each turn then they have units left on the map.
Oh yeah, this type of BM... Isn't that one of the values of the yield button though? If you've lost but your opponent doesn't want to win, just concede and move on? I just don't see this as any different from a straightforward loss (since you have a mercy button, without one I would feel differently), nor as a reason to discount online play.

Oh yeah, this type of BM... Isn't that one of the values of the yield button though? If you've lost but your opponent doesn't want to win, just concede and move on? I just don't see this as any different from a straightforward loss (since you have a mercy button, without one I would feel differently), nor as a reason to discount online play.
Yes, it is a value of the Yield button, but that doesn't make it any more fun to use.

Yes, it is a value of the Yield button, but that doesn't make it any more fun to use.
Again, don't see how this is at all a valid reason for a more active multiplayer to not exist. Losing generally isn't fun and hasn't been since games have existed in human history. And yet, games still exist.

Unless there's something I'm misunderstanding here.

While the reset turn option is nice it isn't a replacement for the save function of the originals. I used to able to set up my first few turns the way I wanted to try out a strategy, but now I have to repeat the exact same actions over and over if I don't like how things turn out.

Again, don't see how this is at all a valid reason for a more active multiplayer to not exist. Losing generally isn't fun and hasn't been since games have existed in human history. And yet, games still exist.

Unless there's something I'm misunderstanding here.
This is something Days of Ruin ran into, but playing Advance Wars online with randoms is at its base level not fun if you're getting stomped. A Yield button doesn't fix that any more than just shutting the game off would.

This is something Days of Ruin ran into, but playing Advance Wars online with randoms is at its base level not fun if you're getting stomped. A Yield button doesn't fix that any more than just shutting the game off would.
I still don't see how this is valid at all. All this says to me is any multiplayer game is just not worth creating/playing since a player will lose? The point of a ranked mode would be to prevent one sided stomps. I'm struggling to see what you're actually trying to say past "I don't like it"

I still don't see how this is valid at all. All this says to me is any multiplayer game is just not worth creating/playing since a player will lose? The point of a ranked mode would be to prevent one sided stomps. I'm struggling to see what you're actually trying to say past "I don't like it"
It's not that online isn't worth it. It's that random matchmaking in Advance Wars specifically has issues.

Playing AW2. Forgot how much I enjoyed playing as Sensei with his Copter Command special ability. Great fun.

While true, most games with random matchmaking don't feature matches that last the average duration of an Advance Wars map.
I'm no designer (nor am I advocating the game I'm about to use as an example lol...) but Dota matches famously go on for about as long. Plus chess timers would go a long way I think.

Started AW2 campaign and the impressive characterisations continue. Good grief Lash is phenomenal, her expressions are priceless. Meanwhile Adder is suitably creepy. I'll say it again, WayForward did an astonishing job bringing this cast to life.

Forgot how the AW2 campaign can get pretty tough, even early on.

Looking back at older footage, I'm really impressed how they made the map icons for all units look and sound totally different for each of the five nations. Most units graphics were shared across nations before but now look different not just in the battle screens.

Started AW2 campaign and the impressive characterisations continue. Good grief Lash is phenomenal, her expressions are priceless. Meanwhile Adder is suitably creepy. I'll say it again, WayForward did an astonishing job bringing this cast to life.

Forgot how the AW2 campaign can get pretty tough, even early on.

I think AW1 starts on a low note, but I think maybe I think AW2 just has a much stronger cast of new characters.

Back
Top Bottom