• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp |ST| AW, here we go again!

Well in a surprising turn of events, my copy showed up today! I'm gonna try to get to the first game before TotK

Finished stage 11 of AW1, the first Gold Star mission. Enjoyed that. Dashed out to knock out the rocket launchers, then pulled everyone back behind the mountains to let my artillery go to work on them while my medium tanks held the choke points. I love how elegant Advance Wars is. Everything is so easy to read, everything has a counter, and smart play using choke points, forests and cities and reefs and whatnot is rewarded. The last one against Olaf where it’s a naval battle followed by assaulting an island defended by hidden artillery was good too. I used subs to go and peek into the forest squares on the edge of the island, then the battleships superior range to knock them out. Great stuff

The game made me realize how game changer the Bike was in Days of Ruin. More mobility, it could capture cities and factories in the earlier turns much faster than regular infantry. Lack of Bike makes the game feel... a little slower.

The game made me realize how game changer the Bike was in Days of Ruin. More mobility, it could capture cities and factories in the earlier turns much faster than regular infantry. Lack of Bike makes the game feel... a little slower.
Very true. I did feel that the anti-tank guns in DoR (it was Dark Conflict for me) were a bit unbalanced and a bit too effective against too many units without enough vulnerabilities for the cost, but the bike was a good one for early game.

Days of Ruin's list of available units is fantastic and by far and away the most balanced out of the four games. I've long said that if you could combine the unit list of Days of Ruin (and maybe the promotion mechanic) with the aesthetics and CO mechanics of the three games that came before it, you'd have the perfect Advance Wars game.

But on the flipside, giving Sami access to a unit with 5-square mobility which could capture a property in a single turn during her super CO power...shudders...

Apologies for the double post but we have our first hint of sales data for the game from the UK. And it seems to have done...well mixed from the language used, I guess...

Just missing out on second place is Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp on Nintendo Switch (although the game is No.2 in the Single Format Charts). This game was destined to be a tough sell. It's the first game in the series for 15 years. It was initially due early last year, but was postponed following Russia's invasion of Ukraine. When it finally has arrived, it's launched into a tough market, and just a few weeks before the big new Nintendo game (The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom). As a result, it's no surprise it hasn't done huge figures, but it has found an audience following positive reviews last week.
I was hoping we'd get historical comparisons of past games for reference (maybe it's been that long), but the packed schedule does seem to have had an impact. Sounds like the Advance Wars fans turned up at least, and it is 4th on the UK E-shop currently (behind 3 Mario games that are currently on sale). Least it doesn't seem like an outright bomb so far.

How's it doing on the US E-shop? I think I saw someone on Resetera saying it was currently 1st?

Apologies for the double post but we have our first hint of sales data for the game from the UK. And it seems to have done...well mixed from the language used, I guess...

I was hoping we'd get historical comparisons of past games for reference (maybe it's been that long), but the packed schedule does seem to have had an impact. Sounds like the Advance Wars fans turned up at least, and it is 4th on the UK E-shop currently (behind 3 Mario games that are currently on sale). Least it doesn't seem like an outright bomb so far.

How's it doing on the US E-shop? I think I saw someone on Resetera saying it was currently 1st?

It charted at 3rd, the top 2 games are new releases as well and apparently it's almost on par with the 2nd, so I think that's a pretty good performance in the UK. I think the wording is to explain why it's not topping the chart as a new Nintendo first party release usually would, but for AW standards I think it's doing very good. If the game sells 1 million it's already a great success and would be the best selling in the franchise by a good margin. I think given how it's charting, 1 million is very doable.

When I checked yesterday, it was 2nd on the US eShop, I don't know if it moved up since.

Seems odd editorial framing, but that's Christopher Dring for you. Not sure why anyone with knowledge of the market would expect Advance Wars to do especially big numbers; especially physical only data in the UK.

It charted at 3rd, the top 2 games are new releases as well and apparently it's almost on par with the 2nd, so I think that's a pretty good performance in the UK. I think the wording is to explain why it's not topping the chart as a new Nintendo first party release usually would, but for AW standards I think it's doing very good. If the game sells 1 million it's already a great success and would be the best selling in the franchise by a good margin. I think given how it's charting, 1 million is very doable.

When I checked yesterday, it was 2nd on the US eShop, I don't know if it moved up since.
Yeah I'm inclined to agree with you, but it would have been useful to get an indication as to how it compares to past releases. We know it doesn't need to top the charts, it just needs to be on par with previous instalments at least. Though I guess with so many copies being sold digitally such comparisons might be useless anyway.

If it hits a million I'd be skipping as that would be a fantastic result, especially with no Japanese sales. Would probably make it WayForward's best selling game ever if I'm correct?

Yeah I'm inclined to agree with you, but it would have been useful to get an indication as to how it compares to past releases. We know it doesn't need to top the charts, it just needs to be on par with previous instalments at least. Though I guess with so many copies being sold digitally such comparisons might be useless anyway.

If it hits a million I'd be skipping as that would be a fantastic result, especially with no Japanese sales. Would probably make it WayForward's best selling game ever if I'm correct?

Shantae as a entire series was at >3m as of 2020, over 5 games (but the original apparently had a print run of ~25k copies, so in practice they were averaging just under 750k units over the last 4 titles at the time).

They also worked on bloodstained ritual of the night which crossed a million, but that was a multiple studio game that wasn't entirely theirs.

I think the shantae games are the highest without any technicalities.

If it’s anywhere close to Minecraft Legends for the week there, that’s a great performance. Minecraft is cheaper, on every platform, and came out three days earlier (and it’s Minecraft).

Quoted by: Leo
If it’s anywhere close to Minecraft Legends for the week there, that’s a great performance. Minecraft is cheaper, on every platform, and came out three days earlier (and it’s Minecraft).

The article says it just missed the second spot (which is Minecraft), so I'm assuming it was very close.

Without a comparison to the previous AW releases? This chart placement tells us absolutely nothing unfortunately.

It was never going to beat Minecraft Dungeons and Dead Island 2 on the UK charts anyway (and especially not when Nintendo still refuse to give out their digital numbers). So this article is basically totally useless.

Bouncing back and forth between War Room and Campaign is such a good gameplay loop. I'm hopelessly addicted to this game... probably is going to turn out to be my favorite strategy title on the Switch, next to Triangle Strategy and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Does anybody here want to make some sort of... Fami... group or something, somehow, so we can regularly have battle buddies?

Torn between the urge to immediately begin the AW2 campaign so I can unlock Lash and between the urge to continue with AW1 content.
love that the alternate route missions open up for you after you've done the final battle

Anyone figured out how to unlock all COs yet?

Also!
the main menu music has changed! Presumably this is a remix of the AW2 menu music. Kinda missing the AW1 music...

ah! There it is. So it alternates now. Neat.

Well, I went and caved and order this despite having literally zero time for it between Xenoblade tomorrow and Zelda likely before I'm even done with that.

I can at least take refuge that this game selling well at least might make the series no longer a corpse.

Riddle me this:

I finished a level by rout with 100 Speed, 100 Power, 90 Technique.
I reload the save, pass my turn, build a new unit, and then win by rout.
I now finish the level with 100 Speed, 99 Power, 100 Technique.

What the fuck happened, and can I salvage this? Does anyone know if the score formulas have changed from the original release?

I just got a physical copy and haven't really had time to dig into it.

Do more War Room maps open up as you complete existing ones?

Also can you download other people's custom Design Room courses?

Riddle me this:

I finished a level by rout with 100 Speed, 100 Power, 90 Technique.
I reload the save, pass my turn, build a new unit, and then win by rout.
I now finish the level with 100 Speed, 99 Power, 100 Technique.

What the fuck happened, and can I salvage this? Does anyone know if the score formulas have changed from the original release?

Right, after fucking about with my cloud saves for a while I think I've figured out what was going on.

It appears that your results for
are determined by the CO you complete the mission with. I had read that only Andy's
performance mattered in the original game.

Well that's campaign 1 done and dusted, but holy hell, the ability to go back and play all the campaign missions, including the ones you missed, and have a harder campaign unlocked, is astonishing for the game's longevity and replyabability. I'm going to be clocking 30 hours before I even load up the second game.

And wow at giving it a full blown animated cinematic as an ending. What a great addition, really helps to add to the sense of accomplishment. They'd done such a good job improving the story

Just checked and it is currently #1.
And that's great news. It being number 1 for Switch in its biggest market must mean it's doing decent numbers behind the scenes. Wonder what the physical sales will look like come NPD time

Right, after fucking about with my cloud saves for a while I think I've figured out what was going on.

It appears that your results for
are determined by the CO you complete the mission with. I had read that only Andy's
performance mattered in the original game.
Yep, I thought this was the case based on what happened for me.

Bouncing back and forth between War Room and Campaign is such a good gameplay loop. I'm hopelessly addicted to this game... probably is going to turn out to be my favorite strategy title on the Switch, next to Triangle Strategy and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Does anybody here want to make some sort of... Fami... group or something, somehow, so we can regularly have battle buddies?

Yes.

Man some of these maps can be a real slog. Just done Duo Falls in the War Room. Not sure if Grit was the best choice as CO though his long range did prove somewhat useful. Felt like I just had to keep advancing with force backed up by rockets and artillery. Somehow still managed to get an A even though I was nearly 30 days in so the game knows it is a slog.

I don't know how some folk get through these missions so fast!? Duo Falls took literal hours. Admittedly, the campaign maps have felt a lot brisker.

Top tip: use the L and R buttons! It is all too easy to forget a unit, particularly infantry, that are camouflaged by your own cities. When you can't cycle any more you know you've performed an action with all your units (and yeah sometimes you don't need to).

Still loving this. Battery life on my OLED not quite as good as I remember (or misremember) on my GBA SP (I'm getting around 6-7 hours). Looks pretty though.

I've started to turn off some of the animations to speed things up but you do need to pay attention otherwise you can lose what just happened (like a real game of chess I guess).

Great idea! I'm definitely in but between getting my butt kicked by work and my butt kicked by the CPU I don't have the time, but I'll jump in if someone sets something up.

I love how they made Andy even dumber in the original campaign. They're really leaning hard in him being an idiot savant.

2001 Andy: What's an airport?
2023 Andy: What's a strategy?

Definitely intentional, self aware humour, heck they also ribbed Hachi. When you buy an item in his shop, he randomly mentions how no one invites him to online/versus modes because he's unfair. Notoriously he's one of the most broken COs!

Having fun with War Room, still playing under the AW1 rules:

Spann Island (vs Olaf) - Sami, 287 points (S)
Moji Island (vs Grit) - Kanbei, 296 points (S)
Duo Falls (vs Kanbei) - Max, 300 points (S)
Sole Harbour (vs Drake) - Grit, 287 points (S)
Pivot Isle (vs Eagle) - Olaf, 274 points (A)
Land's End (vs Olaf) - Eagle, 289 points (S)

I'm about... 10 hours? in and have finished 40% of the first game. I am pleasantly surprised by how the game manages to hook me more in with every mission. I thought the beginning was OK and now almost quarter way through I'm getting really invested and enjoying it a lot.

That being said, as opposed to e.g. XCOM 2, I do feel like I get a bit fatigued of the game after about every maybe 2 or 3 missions. I think I'll be eating the elephant one bite at a time for the next few weeks/months on this one. The great point here of course is that it's on a portable device so I can do one mission here and there and put the Switch down very easily in between. Great stuff all around.

Finally finishing live a live today. That one was a hard job. I don't like leaving my games unfinished, but that one was on the tipping point of me throwing it out of the window.

Anyway, backing for this today/tomorrow. I can't stop thinking about it. It reminds me when I was a child and I loved collecting ships, aircrafts and tanks toys.

Is there a guide on the internet how to deploy which units in the smartest way? I‘m starting with campaign 1 but loosing units like flies. Or I‘m just bad at that game 🥳

Is there a guide on the internet how to deploy which units in the smartest way? I‘m starting with campaign 1 but loosing units like flies. Or I‘m just bad at that game 🥳
There’s been some(mostly positive) minor logic adjustments that mess with the old guides a bit

General advice would be: don't move units too far out of the range of other units. If you can, have a backup unit within range. Try to take the initiative when you can - you'll do more damage by hitting first. Hold down the B button while selecting enemy units to see their attack range, too.

Take advantage of choke points - a lot of maps are designed so that mountain ranges, rivers/bridges, etc create natural chokepoints which are easier to defend. You can use APCs to distract the CPU from your other units in AW1, too, so you might sometimes want to use them as a sacrificial lamb (bear this in mind though: when you have air and sea units later in the campaign, or when you play on larger maps, APCs can be important for refuelling your units). Pay attention to terrain properties when using ground units, too; defensive terrain bonuses apply whether you're attacking or taking damage.

Still loving this. Battery life on my OLED not quite as good as I remember (or misremember) on my GBA SP (I'm getting around 6-7 hours). Looks pretty though.
The OLED has a range of 4.5 - 9 hours of battery life, depending on the games and system settings. (brightness level, Wi-Fi activity, etc.) With that info, the GBA on average has higher battery life by default.

Man some of these maps can be a real slog. Just done Duo Falls in the War Room. Not sure if Grit was the best choice as CO though his long range did prove somewhat useful. Felt like I just had to keep advancing with force backed up by rockets and artillery. Somehow still managed to get an A even though I was nearly 30 days in so the game knows it is a slog.

I don't know how some folk get through these missions so fast!? Duo Falls took literal hours. Admittedly, the campaign maps have felt a lot brisker.

Top tip: use the L and R buttons! It is all too easy to forget a unit, particularly infantry, that are camouflaged by your own cities. When you can't cycle any more you know you've performed an action with all your units (and yeah sometimes you don't need to).

I've started to turn off some of the animations to speed things up but you do need to pay attention otherwise you can lose what just happened (like a real game of chess I guess).

This is me too man, I did Mission 9 I think last night, the one against Olaf where the first person to capture 12 cities wins, there's 11 on each side and two choke points to get across so you end up just getting backed up lining units against each other at the bridges. Eventually I had 5 Rockets lined up and just blitzed his defenses away off one of them and got it done but it took me way more than an hour, scored like 21 points on Speed lol (great scores on Power and Technique though!)

I find any of them where you have bases and can make your own units turn into battles of attrition like that, whereas when you only have what the game gives you and no bases available they go by a little quicker as you have to strategize only with what you've got. I'm a big Indirect Unit guy so it usually takes me a little more time to get set-up how I like. Never get high speed scores.

Some general tips:

Every map flows different, but in general, you should have three lines of combat:
-an infantry line going ahead scouting the map and securing cities as possible (this is especially crucial in Fog of War maps, where you need to have your infantry providing visibility by putting them on mountains), infantry is also important to use as meatshields to block the enemy from reaching your important units since they're cheap and easily replaceable; remember to use infantry in combination with APCs which are also good meatshields;
-a line of tanks in the middle to clear enemies; don't burn your money building more Md tanks than you need, you usually need less than you think;
-a line of ranged attack units behind to weaken enemies before the tanks attack them, these are very important so don't ignore them.

You want to take advantage of choke points to block the enemies from going where they need to be. Block them with infantry, counter attack with powerful units, and slowly push forward.

The attacker in AW has a huge advantage because the damage is calculated based on the remaining health if the defending unit after they're attacked, so always opt to attack first when you can. Weakening enemies with ranged attacks is important so you can destroy them with your tanks before they can counterattack.

Use terrain defense to your advantage; when you put mechs in mountains for example they become powerful, cheap units.

Forests are also really good places to put artillery that doesn’t want to move much, as they can only be targeted by ground units/battleships if the enemy has a unit adjacent to them, and, just like your units stumbling into the enemy, the first unit to find them loses its chance to attack. It doesn’t work against air units but it’s a good way to help keep expensive rocket units alive if there aren’t enough choke points

Pro-Tip, Grit in general is kind of a trap for high rankings. While his increased range and indirect damage boost are great, he struggles to move fast, which is what you're going for if you want a high score. He is better in fog of war maps where you can hide your indirects and use infantry to scout ahead, but you're usually better off using the more aggressive CO's.

Having fun with War Room, still playing under the AW1 rules:

Spann Island (vs Olaf) - Sami, 287 points (S)
Moji Island (vs Grit) - Kanbei, 296 points (S)
Duo Falls (vs Kanbei) - Max, 300 points (S)
Sole Harbour (vs Drake) - Grit, 287 points (S)
Pivot Isle (vs Eagle) - Olaf, 274 points (A)
Land's End (vs Olaf) - Eagle, 289 points (S)

Can you select different rulesets for the maps? I haven't accessed the second campaign yet as still going through the first.

Can you select different rulesets for the maps? I haven't accessed the second campaign yet as still going through the first.
'Rules' isn't quite the right word (my bad), but once you unlock AW2's campaign, you can play the maps with AW1 or AW2 settings.

Basically, AW2 versions of the war room maps are the same layout, but you play against different COs, you can select the AW2 COs once you unlock them, the CPU behaves differently, Super Powers as well as CO powers are available, and you can use the new unit introduced in AW2. But between the option to play as new COs, against different COs for each map, combined with the changes in CPU behaviour, I thought it'd be an interesting long term way of engaging with the game.

If memory serves, AW2 also had a handful of War Room maps that were unique to that game, but I haven't come across them yet. I've unlocked the AW2 campaign but not completed it, so I'm not sure if the extra War Room maps are there. I assume they become available in the shop once you go through AW2.

I forgot how addictive these games were. Stayed up too late playing it last night, and now I'm all sleepy...

Just finished up the first campaign on classic difficulty. Just out of interest is this game easier than the GBA games? I remember getting really stumped on the final mission the first time I played it ~20 years ago but breezed through on first try here. I guess I’ve played a lot more strategy games since.

It’s really cool that you can dive back in and play the missions you didn’t choose. Might mess around with the war room before taking on the next campaign.

Final play time was about 14 hours for the campaign which is shorter than I remember but it’s a really nice length I think.

Just finished up the first campaign on classic difficulty. Just out of interest is this game easier than the GBA games? I remember getting really stumped on the final mission the first time I played it ~20 years ago but breezed through on first try here. I guess I’ve played a lot more strategy games since.

It’s really cool that you can dive back in and play the missions you didn’t choose. Might mess around with the war room before taking on the next campaign.

Final play time was about 14 hours for the campaign which is shorter than I remember but it’s a really nice length I think.
Your route in the original determined what CO’s you had in the final battle. Also some cheating(like fog not effecting AI) has been removed

The battles have some AI cheating removed but for the most part play similar to the GBA version. The big change is that you no longer have to do the entire campaign again to do the missions you skipped (and Rivals is unlocked by beating all the missions this time and not doing a specific route.)

AW2 is also mostly the same with the exception of removing the exploit from Two Week Test. (Lash will try to capture your HQ and you start with 2 Artillery units so defeat by rout is possible)

Back
Top Bottom