• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp |ST| AW, here we go again!

I think based on data we have that it's probably done around 500K so far, or above if we're lucky. The important thing I suppose is whether it exceeded Nintendo's expectations, and reports of shortages for physical copies would suggest it's doing well by that metric.

Selling a million without Japan was always going to be a tough one unfortunately

I think based on data we have that it's probably done around 500K so far, or above if we're lucky. The important thing I suppose is whether it exceeded Nintendo's expectations, and reports of shortages for physical copies would suggest it's doing well by that metric.

Selling a million without Japan was always going to be a tough one unfortunately

I'm still wondering what their plans there are. Just, not release it in Japan at all?

I'm still wondering what their plans there are. Just, not release it in Japan at all?
I guess Nintendo will find a quiet period to release it there a few months down the line, and there could be a few of those coming up if Nintendo are gearing up for Switch 2. If all the Japanese side has to do is pay for localization and some marketing, seems like a cheap way of plugging a gap in their schedule.

Edit: Honestly, the main reason we should want a Japanese release isn't so much the raw sales, but because I think that's the only way it gets consideration for proper representation for a future Smash game, which would give the series the best possible profile boost.

Last edited:
I guess Nintendo will find a quiet period to release it there a few months down the line, and there could be a few of those coming up if Nintendo are gearing up for Switch 2. If all the Japanese side has to do is pay for localization and some marketing, seems like a cheap way of plugging a gap in their schedule.

Edit: Honestly, the main reason we should want a Japanese release isn't so much the raw sales, but because I think that's the only way it gets consideration for proper representation for a future Smash game, which would give the series the best possible profile boost.

Advance wars has already been in Smash; even in the best case scenario, it's not going to get a player character any more than... Famicom detective club, Dillon's rolling western or Nintendogs are.

I honestly doubt a Japanese release is happening; Wayforward typically don't even do Japanese localisations in house when they happen, and Nintendo would have been aware of this at the time. Like Buddy Mission Bond (... and the previous AW game, actually), it was developed with a specific region in mind and likely won't be releasing in the others.

Last edited:
Late to this, beat the first campaign last night.

Honestly Wayforward did a superb job with this. The art, music, gamefeel - just the overall polish of the whole thing is superb. And there's nothing really to say about the quality of the gameplay that hasn't been said a decade ago - it's S+ quality stuff from start to finish.

I've never played Advance Wars 2, so it should be fun getting to the "new to me" part of the remaster.

Only quibble would be with adding voice acting. It sucks and doesn't fit. But that's the tiniest nitpick. Game is fantastic.

Im glad the series si back and all but hte graphics ergh, how we went from awesome pixel styled in river city to this is beyond me it just looks pretty boring to me otherwise i had quite a good time with the game.

Ah I really dislike the scoring in the remake when it comes to multi-CO missions. The CO that completed the objective is ranked, rather than the primary CO or (my preference) all COs collectively--which is how I believe scoring worked in Dual Strike.

Mission 32 in AW2--Greaf Sea Battle--is a prime example:
I strategically had Kanbei blow up the pipe seam with rockets as the CO starting in the south. As he had barely engaged in any combat outside of blowing up a canon he scored perfect for speed and technique but literally only 20 for power.

It's a fun mission but I've no desire to play through it again any time soon. If I'd have just finished it with a different CO I'd have probably gotten a perfect score.

Is anyone still playing? I'm 110 hours in, right at the end of AW2 after having 100%ed AW1 and completed a load of War Room maps. I'll probably chip away at more once I'm down with AW2, then leave it for a bit before going through the harder OG campaign. I don't really have a desire to design my own map but I do want the badge!

Ah I really dislike the scoring in the remake when it comes to multi-CO missions. The CO that completed the objective is ranked, rather than the primary CO or (my preference) all COs collectively--which is how I believe scoring worked in Dual Strike.

Mission 32 in AW2--Greaf Sea Battle--is a prime example:
I strategically had Kanbei blow up the pipe seam with rockets as the CO starting in the south. As he had barely engaged in any combat outside of blowing up a canon he scored perfect for speed and technique but literally only 20 for power.

It's a fun mission but I've no desire to play through it again any time soon. If I'd have just finished it with a different CO I'd have probably gotten a perfect score.

Is anyone still playing? I'm 110 hours in, right at the end of AW2 after having 100%ed AW1 and completed a load of War Room maps. I'll probably chip away at more once I'm down with AW2, then leave it for a bit before going through the harder OG campaign. I don't really have a desire to design my own map but I do want the badge!
I'm still playing as well! (Although, I only started half October haha)

Last week I beat the AW2 campaign on classic mode after already 100%ing AW1. I've only done 2 war room maps though, but I plan on doing some more. Yesterday I did Dire Range on AW1 mode with Nell. It was super satisfying as I got a good lock on the enemy airport at the top left of the map with 2 missiles units early on. From there on I could relatively easily push through the rest using the canyons. Any recommendations for other war rooms?

Is anybody still playing this? I'm doing the campaign daily. I spend hours on War Room. I can't get enough of this game and it still feels like there is more content. I'm not very good, though, but it hasn't stopped being fun after like... 150 hours.

I've took a break but do intend to go back and do more of the War Room at a later date. Main campaigns are cleared. I've got a big backlog of tactics games so might be on the back burner for a while now.

I really hope Dual Strike and Days of Ruin or another game materialise in the future.

My big problem this year has been not having the time to return to games after hitting the credits. I do absolutely love Reboot Camp, and probably should revisit it seeing as it's conveniently installed on my Switch.

Necroposting, but for the past couple months I've been digging more and more into the game. Jumping between the hard campaigns and plugging away at the AW2 war room. It's been so satisfying. The war room in particular, I never really messed around in as a kid, but here it feels like the most enjoyable part. I've been trying to get at least one done a day, and some days it really feels like that's all my brain can handle. Some maps feel like free challenges, like Long Road where you can pick your favorite CO and just figure it out, and others feel like puzzle boxes where there's clearly a handful of COs you need to pick in order to get a good score like Twin Isle. I really just want more Advance Wars, whether that's a new game or another remake for either or both of the DS games. I'd also like to try playing online one day. It's the only part on my profile that I haven't at least gotten the bronze for

Necroposting, but for the past couple months I've been digging more and more into the game. Jumping between the hard campaigns and plugging away at the AW2 war room. It's been so satisfying. The war room in particular, I never really messed around in as a kid, but here it feels like the most enjoyable part. I've been trying to get at least one done a day, and some days it really feels like that's all my brain can handle. Some maps feel like free challenges, like Long Road where you can pick your favorite CO and just figure it out, and others feel like puzzle boxes where there's clearly a handful of COs you need to pick in order to get a good score like Twin Isle. I really just want more Advance Wars, whether that's a new game or another remake for either or both of the DS games. I'd also like to try playing online one day. It's the only part on my profile that I haven't at least gotten the bronze for
Never apologise for necroposting in an Advance Wars topic my friend.

War room always was the business. I love how well it's implemented here and keep on coming back to try and beat my high scores every now and again. Definitely would have liked to have tried them with some of the better Dual Strike COs like Rachel, Sasha and Kindle, just for some extra variety.

Difficult to know given the state of the world whether Nintendo will feel comfortable with a new one sometime soon, even if they went full blown anime Sci-Fi with another instalment (which seems logical to me). At least we can take comfort in the fact the series has its fans at NOA, so there's always hope

I'm glad to hear that. I was fearing the long delay could drag sales down and make Nintendo give up on the franchise for good, but those numbers are encouraging enough to keep it for a while, possibly a brand new entry for Switch 2.

I hope this keep Nintendo up to bring back to the light their old, dormant franchises more frequently.

There's nothing like just picking Kanbei and casually steamrolling a map with the full 300. Love this guy

I'm glad to hear that. I was fearing the long delay could drag sales down and make Nintendo give up on the franchise for good, but those numbers are encouraging enough to keep it for a while, possibly a brand new entry for Switch 2.

I hope this keep Nintendo up to bring back to the light their old, dormant franchises more frequently.
I still think current real world events mean Nintendo of Japan are going to remain iffy on giving it a proper shake. I think we're basically dependent on whether WayForward are keen to make a new instalment, whether Nintendo of America can offer them the big support they'll need, and how much they can change the themes of the game to avoid paralell's with real world events. If those boxes are ticked, then we can be hopeful.

I still think current real world events mean Nintendo of Japan are going to remain iffy on giving it a proper shake. I think we're basically dependent on whether WayForward are keen to make a new instalment, whether Nintendo of America can offer them the big support they'll need, and how much they can change the themes of the game to avoid paralell's with real world events. If those boxes are ticked, then we can be hopeful.
I wonder, if the series were to continue with a new game maybe it would be best to make it as if you are playing a tabletop game and lean into that aspect, but I don't know if the fans would like that.

Please keep in mind that companies can take actions that may impact their business negatively out of respect for real world events or groups. It is in poor taste to assume moral hypocrisy and call that "virtue signaling". -mdk18, meatbag, Tangerine Cookie
I guess they should remove whatever reference ressembling anything real world-related, as Olaf, from further installments to avoid any controversy. IMO, I think Nintendo tried too hard to make virtue signaling with this and in return could have flopped the title, hence why I'm glad this wasn't the case and got solid sales despite everything.

Edit: a question for the staff regarding the warning I got: care to explain how a cartoony, family-friendly war strategy game could affect Nintendo image when Call of Duty Modern Warfare II, a far more graphic and realistic discription of a real life russian invasion, not only was released on schedule but did little no nothing at all for Activision's reputation?

If asking this is bannable, then go ahead and make my day. I keep my opinion, Nintendo's decision was unnecessary and could have shelved the series for good if sales flopped.

Last edited:
I guess they should remove whatever reference ressembling anything real world-related, as Olaf, from further installments to avoid any controversy. IMO, I think Nintendo tried too hard to make virtue signaling with this and in return could have flopped the title, hence why I'm glad this wasn't the case and got solid sales despite everything.

Edit: a question for the staff regarding the warning I got: care to explain how a cartoony, family-friendly war strategy game could affect Nintendo image when Call of Duty Modern Warfare II, a far more graphic and realistic discription of a real life russian invasion, not only was released on schedule but did little no nothing at all for Activision's reputation?

If asking this is bannable, then go ahead and make my day. I keep my opinion, Nintendo's decision was unnecessary and could have shelved the series for good if sales flopped.
I'm not staff, but it's not really that hard to see.

COD is a series that Activision annualized to such a breaking point that failing to release an entry would deal them significant financial damage. Call of Duty games are a core of Activision's business.

Advance Wars is not in any way core to Nintendo's business. Further, while Call of Duty is basically a video game form of U.S. military propoganda, AW1&2 are games that treat modern warfare with less seriousness than a Saturday morning cartoon.

Nintendo did not feel it was in good taste to release the game just as a major war had started. So they held off for a year. That's all.

Re-Boot Camp was never, ever going to see the kind of sales that would guarantee a new entry. It wasn't even localized for release in Japan. It was a one-off remake project for fans of the GBA games, an audience that was predominantly North American.

Keeping its original release date would never have changed this.

Seems less about the point and more how you phrased it as ‘virtue signalling’ which is a bit of a dogwhistle and implies a lack of sincerity on a sensitive topic, but the best channel for that discussion is mod feedback.

Last edited:
Ok, at this point, the only AW2 war room map left is Ring Islands and MAN what a slog. I just can't get a strategy working. I don't have enough entry point to try and rush the HQ with Sami fast enough before either CO mounts a solid defense, I am spread too thin to try and slowly chip away at both in a straightforward fight, but if I ignore one to beat down on the other, the ignored one gets cheeky and expands their economy quickly. Something is just not clicking in my brain.

Back
Top Bottom