• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Pokémon Trading Card Game (Game Boy) and Pokémon Stadium 2 (N64) out now on NSO

Now that this is out of the way, it's time to reveal the release of the OG Game Boy games.

Please? 🥲
Creating_Bugs_Bunny%27s_%22No%22.jpg

So fun story, when I was a kid I asked for a gameboy and pokemon yellow for my birthday. What my well-meaning but video game-illiterate mom ended up getting me was ... a yellow GBC and the Pokemon TCG game.

For like a month and a half that was the only Gameboy game I had, and I still never got especially far into it. It'll be interesting to revisit it now without the "you were supposed to be Pokemon Yellow" resentment.

I've been trying to update the GBC app on the Switch for the past 5 minutes, but no update yet smh.
I'm extremely happy we're finally getting this one on the system. Can't wait to play it tonight.

Pokemon TCG on Gameboy Color is an excellent game. It still holds up very well. I will never understand why TPC never made another one for handheld systems.

I don't think I ever played Stadium 2 so I will definitely mess around with it.

Only good thing was the re-release of the GB TCG. Spent a lot of time on that hidden gem.

Sad that they're not planning to make a new one.
If you've never tried it, there is a fan translation for the Japanese-exclusive sequel and it's honestly really good. Give it a shot if not!

Once again proving they can do whatever they want NSO pacing wise XD. Give me another n64 game or two this month XD

Flashback to me and my siblings crowding around a tiny CRT and Pokemon Stadium 2 when it first released.
I used to take my N64 to my friends' house to battle there. Those were special rival battles with lv100 teams and we would go great lenghts to make them an event.

I would really love to know what the hold up is on getting gen 1-3 on NSO. Even if TPC is adamant about no save states no rewinds and it needs to connect to home, why not release the games on the eshop standalone then? I get Nintendo's need to drip feed, but launching gb/a without mainline Pokemon would be like launching NES online without Super Mario Bros.

I would really love to know what the hold up is on getting gen 1-3 on NSO. Even if TPC is adamant about no save states no rewinds and it needs to connect to home, why not release the games on the eshop standalone then? I get Nintendo's need to drip feed, but launching gb/a without mainline Pokemon would be like launching NES online without Super Mario Bros.
I don't see Nintendo being cool with that at all. They are very clearly done with emulated standalone virtual console styled releases. The few times we've gotten stuff like that (shadow dragon, mario 3d all stars ) have all been time limited. It seems that it's nso or bust. I'm sure they'll come eventually, they would be a big add for nso that they will want to be able to tap into. Shit they cut deals with Microsoft, MGM, Eon productions etc, to get Goldeneye. That was a moving heaven and earth tangled mess to get xleared and you seem to think getting pokemon, which they have far more control of is impossible? And they don't need to do home support if it's such a big deal/sticking issue with fears about trade manipulation. No reason they can't be disconnected from the modern games.
Quoting myself from another thread, but here's my take.

Hell yeah. PTCG GB is one of my all-time favourites. Can't wait to play it again!

My theory is that they just don't feel the need to put them on there right now. Why not wait until next year? We probably aren't getting a new console on NSO unless they figure out how to get the DS to work, so having Pokemon on there would be a huge attraction for next year.

Gen 2 is head and shoulders better than Gen 1, vibes and all - imagine calling RBY "polished" in any sense
Yeah gen 2 Cleaned up a lot of the jank from gen 1, Japanese players had it even worse since we got the improved version over here to begin with.

Are we sure it's not just left over in the game? Do we actually have confirmation that it's supported?
That screen is, from what I can tell, the NSO app’s instructions screen on how to make it go. I’d say that means it’s in there for realsies

That screen is, from what I can tell, the NSO app’s instructions screen on how to make it go. I’d say that means it’s in there for realsies

Yes it is the instructions screen. You have to play the game for a bit before you unlock Card Pop, so I can't test it yet. But the instructions are clearly there for a reason.

There's a fair few games that do support the IR Port for trading data and unlocking content. It's pretty significant because this is the first time that the IR Port feature has ever been officially replicated outside of the original GBC hardware (and the 3DS re-releases of Pokemon G/S/C - but no other 3DS GBC VC game vexingly enough). It means that the likes of Super Mario Bros Deluxe will be feature complete on NSO compared to their neutered 3DS VC releases :D

IMO, they are saving Pokemon Gen 1-3 for down the road. I think they will come. It just won't be this year.

I will definitely be doing a playthrough for Pokemon TCG sometime in the near future. Mad nostalgia for that game, I think I played it more than Gold/Silver haha.

Are the rentals in Stadium 2 better than in 1? Cause without being able to put your own Pokemon into the game, it's kind of meh.

I think we need to consider that TPC/Nintendo are not down on re-releasing RBY, GSC and RSE games in an emulated form via subscription and move on.

I am interested in checking out Stadium 2 again after over a decade of playing it. Can't remember if the singleplayer league stuff is harder than Stadium 1 or not (but it's all hard without being able to transfer mons over)

I have a fond memory regarding Pokemon TCG. In eighth grade, I went on a school trip to San Francisco, and my mom had given me an allowance for food for the trip. When we went to one of the Piers (I forget the specific one but it was a big tourist spot), I ended up on a store that had video games for sale, and Pokemon TCG had just come out. I spent most of my food budget on it and ate fries and such for the rest of the trip. Totally worth it.

Are the rentals in Stadium 2 better than in 1? Cause without being able to put your own Pokemon into the game, it's kind of meh.

Someone with more experience than me can say for sure, but from what I have read, using rentals in Stadium 2 is much tougher than Stadium 1, which wasn't a cakewalk either.

No. They're pure shite.

Round 2 is basically unwinnable with just the Rental Pokemon and not being able to use the Transfer Pak.

There's a reason why the announcement focused on the minigames of Stadium 2...

Back
Top Bottom