• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

NSO Pokémon Trading Card Game (Game Boy) and Pokémon Stadium 2 (N64) out now on NSO

I messed around a little last night. The intro can drag if you already know what you are doing, but the music still slaps.
It does even if you don't know. It's not as pick up and play as the main series. Battles are also really really slow unless you get lucky enough to draw out either a full evolution or a legendary pokémon card.

I found myself in a situation in the electric badge club where my rival would user thunder punch on my digglet and it would get paralysed every time, but due to its resistance to the electric type it would never suffer damage. I counted like 8 turns straight.

It demands patience from the player.

So, something I had apparently forgotten is how absolutely frustrating I find the TCG. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing but it feels so luck based.

Anyone got some general tips for early on?
  • Dr. Mason sends you free packs over e-mail, you can check it from the lobby computer of any club. The criteria to get his e-mails are talking to a Club Master for the first time. (You don't have to duel them, just talk to them.)
  • A lot of great cards are in Colosseum packs, most importantly Professor Oak, Bill, Computer Search, Item Finder, Scyther, Lv.35 Electabuzz, and Hitmonchan. You want as many Oaks and Bills as you can get, and some Computer Search, to reduce randomness and dig through your deck.
  • Colosseum packs can be most easily won from Sara in the Water Club, the only 2-prize opponent that drops them. They're also dropped by Adam and Jonathan in the Fire Club, Fighting Club members Michael and Jessica, Andrew from Rock, Heather from Grass, and Brandon and Nicholas from Lightning.
  • A Lass in the Water Club lobby mentions Imakuni?, talking to her causes him to start appearing in random clubs. Every time you reset, Imakuni? will spawn in a random lobby. He drops one of every pack when defeated. (Sometimes drops his promo card instead.)
  • If need Energy, you can get 10 of every basic type for free by putting all but 9 Energy into decks and talking to one of the nameless Techs in Mason Laboratory. As long as you have less than 10 Energy in your bag, he'll give you 60 freebies.
  • Most coin flip cards are not worth using.
Honestly my boomer take as a millennial would be to see a TCG game that included the cards up until the end of gen 2/Neo card series and that's all. It would be extremely niche and not appeal whatsoever to the current TCG meta players, but that was the last ruleset I fully understood and can still play from memory with the decks I have.

Hell, I wish I could even play with the TCG digital game if I could only be limited to the cards released prior to the EX Ruby and Sapphire cards.
If you're at all interested in learning how the game developed, world champ Jason Klaczynski wrote a chronology of the game covering from 1999 through 2016.

My personal crazy dream game is one set in the "real" world that recreates the social experience of going to local hobby shops to play, traveling to regionals with friends, attending prereleases, etc. I could see this as either an online game that wants you to hang out with your friends, or a Persona-like slice-of-life calendar RPG.

Remaking old formats would be fun, but I'd prefer to see the cards as more carefully-balanced remixes rather than straight copies of old ones. That would help mitigate some of the balance issues found in historic formats, so we could have more deck diversity, a little more of that "play what you like" design sense found in modern TCGs.

Just remembered the n64 app doesnt have crt filter 😔
After the amazing GBC and GBA emulators i have the not so secret hope that Nintendo has NERD working on a N64 emulator that down the line will replace the iQue one and will have a low res+CRT filter.

The lack of visual options for N64 is really baffling, some games would benefit a lot from rendering in low res.

Yeah, best strategy for first time players is spamming Scyther, Hitmonchan and Mr. Mime cards. Jigglypuff + Wigglytuff also big hitters. Wiggly hits 60 with a full bench and it's 90HP. But it's gonna be some time before getting full set (x4) of those cards, early in the game Seaking is a life saver. Safe 30 hitter for 2 energy cards.

Don't forget to pack your decks with Energy Removal cards. This problematic card was first card to be officially banned. It's super useful.

After the amazing GBC and GBA emulators i have the not so secret hope that Nintendo has NERD working on a N64 emulator that down the line will replace the iQue one and will have a low res+CRT filter.

The lack of visual options for N64 is really baffling, some games would benefit a lot from rendering in low res.
I wish I was this hopeful but I really just think we'll have to deal with this terrible N64 emulator because Nintendo still feels like it's enough and we're just annoying perfectionists and while that's definitely true to an extent they're definitely blind to certain ideas of choice that N64 desperately needs for overall accessibility (and looking nicer because boy N64 games don't always look great in HD)...

I wish I was this hopeful but I really just think we'll have to deal with this terrible N64 emulator because Nintendo still feels like it's enough and we're just annoying perfectionists and while that's definitely true to an extent they're definitely blind to certain ideas of choice that N64 desperately needs for overall accessibility (and looking nicer because boy N64 games don't always look great in HD)...

I have the theory that they stick with it because at least it runs full speed on the Switch (F-Zero X and Yoshi's Story random frame drops tho), N64 is a wild beast and not so easy to emulate, to me it seems like with the N64 they're always settling with the lowest denominator so they can offer full speed.

The GBA and GBC emus are weirdly good, like, i'm strangely sensitive to emulation quirks despite being a old time emulator user (been there since NESticle) and the GB emulators just sit right with me, i find myself going back to them whenever i want to play something Game Boy instead of running an emu on my phone or grabbing my 3DS - with the only exception of GBA injects and OpenAGB firm.

NERD has more than proven their worth, and i'm sure Nintendo isn't blind to criticisms nor they're happy with the current state or the N64 emulator given how anal they've always been about the accuracy of the experience.

Call me naïve, but i think that whatever the Switch 2 is, it will get a much improved N64 emulator.

I have the theory that they stick with it because at least it runs full speed on the Switch (F-Zero X and Yoshi's Story random frame drops tho), N64 is a wild beast and not so easy to emulate, to me it seems like with the N64 they're always settling with the lowest denominator so they can offer full speed.

The GBA and GBC emus are weirdly good, like, i'm strangely sensitive to emulation quirks despite being a old time emulator user (been there since NESticle) and the GB emulators just sit right with me, i find myself going back to them whenever i want to play something Game Boy instead of running an emu on my phone or grabbing my 3DS - with the only exception of GBA injects and OpenAGB firm.

NERD has more than proven their worth, and i'm sure Nintendo isn't blind to criticisms nor they're happy with the current state or the N64 emulator given how anal they've always been about the accuracy of the experience.

Call me naïve, but i think that whatever the Switch 2 is, it will get a much improved N64 emulator.
GBA is done by Panasonic Vietnam actually, and the emulator is weirdly very accurate to the point that it's about the quality of unofficial emulators so who knows if Panasonic Vietnam could actually work on more stuff too and not just NERD who's currently probably having their hands full with the rest and GameCube/Wii ports.

The random framedrops I kinda actually think it's because of the user interface part because the game skips frames, and after seeing how NERD handles slowdowns in other emulators, the user interface might be the part that's lagging behind on the frames while the emulator takes all the performance.

Yup, it's a name that came up when Sloop GBA emulator leaked. And while NERD definitely had a hand on the user interface, we also had evidence of contributions from Panasonic Vietnam... and then we saw job offers related to emulation engineering for a big console maker. Considering the name of the emulator "Sloop", when it's a boat name, it means it did not originate from NERD (Canoe for SNES came from Wii U VC, Hovercraft is from iQue's N64 emulator on both Wii U and Switch, which was called TRL-NX at iQue, also), so I assume Panasonic Vietnam made it and is continuously working on it.

EDIT: Also, Nintendo and Panasonic's relationship go way back, it's not as surprising as you might think.

Photo of a 90's Toys R Us Pokemon section.
It's kinda cool that they treated the Trading Card Game Game with the same reverence as Red/Blue/Yellow. I think they wanted this game to be an equal pillar to the series alongside the mainline games

y0wbf5egw4aa1.jpg

Yup, it's a name that came up when Sloop GBA emulator leaked. And while NERD definitely had a hand on the user interface, we also had evidence of contributions from Panasonic Vietnam... and then we saw job offers related to emulation engineering for a big console maker. Considering the name of the emulator "Sloop", when it's a boat name, it means it did not originate from NERD (Canoe for SNES came from Wii U VC, Hovercraft is from iQue's N64 emulator on both Wii U and Switch, which was called TRL-NX at iQue, also), so I assume Panasonic Vietnam made it and is continuously working on it.

EDIT: Also, Nintendo and Panasonic's relationship go way back, it's not as surprising as you might think.
That’s fascinating. Still, I’m so curious how they got it into the emulation game with Nintendo - I mean I guess I don’t know Panasonic’s whole scope of business, but I wonder how that came about. “Hey, yeah, we happen to have guys who could build an emulator for you…” maybe their previous business relationship would answer that question for me

That’s fascinating. Still, I’m so curious how they got it into the emulation game with Nintendo - I mean I guess I don’t know Panasonic’s whole scope of business, but I wonder how that came about. “Hey, yeah, we happen to have guys who could build an emulator for you…” maybe their previous business relationship would answer that question for me
Panasonic made discs and disc drives for the GC, Wii and Wii U. Then Panasonic also happens to make software related to user interface and Nintendo happens to have bought some of that stuff (also related to handwriting recognition and other things like that) during the 3DS/WiiU era, so in that time, Nintendo did get familiar with their software engineering side of things.

So when my psychic type Drowzee uses pound (a normal type energy move) on a pokemon weak to psychic...it did double damage because of the weakness? Does it not matter the type of the move? Just the Pokemon?

So when my psychic type Drowzee uses pound (a normal type energy move) on a pokemon weak to psychic...it did double damage because of the weakness? Does it not matter the type of the move? Just the Pokemon?
That's correct, the TCG simplifies it so weakness and resistance activate only off of the Pokemon's type. Moves don't have their own types in the card game.

Weakness and resistance are also card-specific, so for example Colorless cards that depict Flying-type Pokemon usually resist Fighting, while Colorless cards depicting Normal-types are usually weak to Fighting.

Back
Top Bottom