• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Pokémon Stadium will release on Nintendo Switch Online on April 12

Coco

Armamenter ❄️

Witness thrilling 3D battles between Pokémon!

This battle arena game, released for the Nintendo 64™ console in 2000, features all 151 Pokémon from the Pokémon Red Version, Pokémon Blue Version, and Pokémon Yellow Version games. In Kids Club, you and three other players can enjoy nine different minigames, like Clefairy Says and Sushi-Go-Round! (Please note you cannot transfer Pokémon from Game Boy™ titles in this version.)

Last edited:
It’s just so weird that they’ve released Stadium without putting the gen one games up and without the transfer feature.

From what I remember, the rentals are marginally better compared to Stadium 2. Still going to be incredibly challenging to beat without transferring (which I can't believe isn't an option on release).

Never beat them all as a kid.
I don’t think I did either. I mean I love Pokémon stadium because of the gym leaders and mini games, but the gym leaders are hard as heck.

Also, I remember the more evolved a Pokémon the weaker attacks they had. Like Charmander might have Fire Blast lol.

They're really releasing Stadium without Transfer Pak support, huh.

Well the mini games are still fun, at least.

It's dumb that Gen I Pokemon isn't on NSO and compatible with this. It's already been shown through injection that their communication functions work when injected into NSO, I'm sure they could get the 64 app to read the GB one's save and let you import.

My guess is they're saving it for September to get people to renew their memberships

Oh, we finally have a release date for this! It's...a little later than expected, but that's not too big of deal. So, we're gonna get the Game Boy Pokemon games so that the whole point of the game (transferring in Pokemon to use in the battles) is preserved and we don't have to rely on the rental Pokemon, right? There's no way Nintendo would do that, right?

...w-why are you all laughing?

Crazy to me that once the 3DS shop was shut down they didn't announce Gen 1 coming to NSO. But TPC routinely does stupid things, so...

Well there it is. They broke the order and it's not paired with 2 which is surprising. Was legitimately expecting MP3 to go with the movie

Come for the challenge of a rental run, stay for the fun of the minigames online!

Crazy to me that once the 3DS shop was shut down they didn't announce Gen 1 coming to NSO. But TPC routinely does stupid things, so...
TBH I’m convinced they’re never coming, not unless Nintendo figures out how to disable rewind, save states, and cloud backup for JUST the Pokémon games. TPC, from what I gather, has some weird sanctimonious “purity” rules regarding the Pokémon experience that is detrimental to the players, like disabling cloud backup to prevent Pokémon duping. They do not align with NSO’s QOL features.

So lets say they are going back to one a month here. (Just throwing the games in random order)

April- Pokemon Stadium
May- Mario Party 3
June- Excitebike
July- Pokemon Stadium 2
August- 1080

That would lead us into the September Direct easily.

TBH I’m convinced they’re never coming, not unless Nintendo figures out how to disable rewind, save states, and cloud backup for JUST the Pokémon games. TPC, from what I gather, has some weird sanctimonious “purity” rules regarding the Pokémon experience that is detrimental to the players, like disabling cloud backup to prevent Pokémon duping. They do not align with NSO’s QOL features.
The first two are trivial. It's the cloud backup that's complicated because it requires OS cooperation.

It's dumb that Gen I Pokemon isn't on NSO and compatible with this. It's already been shown through injection that their communication functions work when injected into NSO, I'm sure they could get the 64 app to read the GB one's save and let you import.

My guess is they're saving it for September to get people to renew their memberships
I mean nintendo could do that but they clearly aren't interested in investing any money/time into the roms besides dumping them onto NSO and then occasionally fixing emulation bugs.

Also does not bode well that Nintendo now feels the need to stretch out the N64 releases to 1 game every 3 months.

People act like the Stadium games are outright unenjoyable without the transfer pak, yet there's still so much to do and enjoy in this game with all the cups, trophies and R2: it's ball crushing hard and the biggest problem IMO is that the animations are dumb and you can't skip or speed them up (even if they miss). I made it to the E4 on rentals as a kid and this time I pledge to finally beat it once and for all!

Honest to god I think people here would be surprised by how there are quite a lot of people who didn't grow up with the transfer pak. (especially if you got it used) I had the mainline games but didn't even know what the transfer pak they referred to was, so I just assumed rentals were part of the game. It wasn't until 2007ish I found one and realized that "oh, that's what they meant". Of the 3D pokemon sims, I find Battle Revolution to be the only one actually inexcusable without transferring, since there's next to no rentals in that game whatsoever!

Stadium 2 is more exciting and it's a bummer to see that not release with this though. Moreso the fact that this means we'll likely alternate between GBA and N64 monthly which is sooooooo sloooooowww :(

The first two are trivial. It's the cloud backup that's complicated because it requires OS cooperation.
Yeah, the first two would be trivial to block on a per-game basis in-app, but also: they should just let us use save states and rewind in old Pokémon games! Who would be hurting if they let us?

Yeah, the first two would be trivial to block on a per-game basis in-app, but also: they should just let us use save states and rewind in old Pokémon games! Who would be hurting if they let us?

never underestimate how stingy TPC/GF are about their environments for mainline pokemon despite the fact they can't even be assed to stop the newest game from corrupting saves at random: I argue those would need cloud saves way more! and could be done in a way to prevent abuse, too.

Hell, TPC could do a "pokemon classics" NSO app if they really really wanted to, that just disabled cloud saves lol

So…if Pokémon Stadium supports Suspend Points, is it safe to say that they’ll probably never update it to support Transfer Pak features in the future? Because I assume The Pokémon Company would object to that, given that you could potentially exploit Suspend Points to get as many duplicates of the Amnesia Psyduck (and I guess teaching Surf to a Pikachu, too) as you want, and I doubt they would update the game and remove Suspend Points if the game was already supporting that feature from the beginning…

So…if Pokémon Stadium supports Suspend Points, is it safe to say that they’ll probably never update it to support Transfer Pak features in the future? Because I assume The Pokémon Company would object to that, given that you could potentially exploit Suspend Points to get as many duplicates of the Amnesia Psyduck (and I guess teaching Surf to a Pikachu, too) as you want, and I doubt they would update the game and remove Suspend Points if the game was already supporting that feature from the beginning…
can you win the gift pokemon without transfer mons? i could see them doing a "only one per pokemon home account" lock like they did to BDSP mons to mitigate duping

Quoted by: Tye
I can't imagine they would care at all about that at this point.

never underestimate how stingy TPC/GF are about their environments for mainline pokemon despite the fact they can't even be assed to stop the newest game from corrupting saves at random: I argue those would need cloud saves way more! and could be done in a way to prevent abuse, too.

Hell, TPC could do a "pokemon classics" NSO app if they really really wanted to, that just disabled cloud saves lol
I almost forgot about how 3DS virtual console had save states disabled specifically for Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Such a petty company.

can you win the gift pokemon without transfer mons? i could see them doing a "only one per pokemon home account" lock like they did to BDSP mons to mitigate duping
Yeah, I guess they could find a way to prevent you from transferring more than one to Pokémon HOME and that would pretty much solve the issue… I forget, did they do the same with the Celebi from VC Crystal?

I can't imagine they would care at all about that at this point.
Why not? TPC always cares about exploits like duplication, no matter how trivial it may be. They had Suspend Points disabled for the Virtual Console releases on 3DS, after all, and they went through a lot of trouble to fix the duplication exploits in BD/SP.

Yeah no gameboy integration is kinda disappointed but expected. At least for content creators and streamers going through the Pokemon League with the rental mons will make good content lol.

Honest to god I think people here would be surprised by how there are quite a lot of people who didn't grow up with the transfer pak. (especially if you got it used) I had the mainline games but didn't even know what the transfer pak they referred to was, so I just assumed rentals were part of the game.
This is also my experience, pretty much most of the snes/n64 I mainly rented games ('member going to blockbuster) incluiding this one, and of course the transfer pak wasn't incluided.

Wowzer! I completely forgot about all those mini games in Kids Club. Those are fun. Those alone are worth a revisit. I don't know why anyone would play the battle modes anymore, though, outside of nostalgia.

I do believe the GB Pokemon games will release on NSO eventually, with Transfer Pak support patched in when this happens (clearly not anytime soon at this rate, lol); but this is still a disappointing launch to see.

Only one of the Stadium games (Mario Party was cool enough to drop 1 and 2 at the same time, why not here?), with not all features accessible, after a two month hiatus for N64 following GoldenEye, not even releasing this week (which means no other NSO drop this or next week, half of the month gone like that)... disappointed with the NSO drip feed more than ever now. We have six platforms now, and yet drops are getting more infrequent than ever.

For the duplication discussion; even without restore points duplication was still possible in the Gen 2 games on Virtual Console via the same method you can use on real hardware. They're never going to be able to patch that up, and if they implement the same dupe detection in Home that BDSP uses, that should be good enough to counter it regardless. I hope that when they do come to Switch, Game Freak / TPC / whoever become less rigid with this stuff.

Last edited:
Why not? TPC always cares about exploits like duplication, no matter how trivial it may be. They had Suspend Points disabled for the Virtual Console releases on 3DS, after all, and they went through a lot of trouble to fix the duplication exploits in BD/SP.
BDSP were modern games (technically) so that's not comparable to a ROM added to an app, but I didn't know about the suspend points things. That definitely adds to your point...

Yeah, I guess they could find a way to prevent you from transferring more than one to Pokémon HOME and that would pretty much solve the issue… I forget, did they do the same with the Celebi from VC Crystal?

I think the "Why not" nowadays is that those moves are just unimportant. The only meaningful thing they could transfer to is an original RBY game. as far as modern games go, they're just a regular psyduck/pikachu/whatever and they probably wouldn't care about duping those. Special moves can't be used in any regulation way in modern games, as you need to reset the pokemon to use it in tournaments and whatnot if they don't have the region mark. I forget, but you might not even be able to import it with the move if it's too far from normal.

BDSP were modern games (technically) so that's not comparable to a ROM added to an app, but I didn't know about the suspend points things. That definitely adds to your point...
As long as there’s connectivity to current Pokémon games (and there would surely be Pokémon HOME support with the Game Boy Pokémon games if we do ever get them on Switch) then it’s an issue TPC is going to care about.

I think the "Why not" nowadays is that those moves are just unimportant. The only meaningful thing they could transfer to is an original RBY game. as far as modern games go, they're just a regular psyduck/pikachu/whatever and they probably wouldn't care about duping those. Special moves can't be used in any regulation way in modern games, as you need to reset the pokemon to use it in tournaments and whatnot if they don't have the region mark. I forget, but you might not even be able to import it with the move if it's too far from normal.
I guess, but the question is what does The Pokémon Company think? You know how strict they can be when it comes to stuff like this…

If it launches with save states, a Transfer Pak update would probably mean disabling the creation of new save states (possibly as an opt-in measure, if they're feeling generous). It's not the special Pokémon that are the problem, it's the storage boxes. The Stadium games were how you got extended Pokémon storage in Gen 1 and 2.

I believe that was included on later cart revisions of the original release.

It was updated in revision 1.1 for US and PAL, but was never updated in any Japanese revision to my knowledge; so it would still be a new hack in this case. Not the first time they've had to make that change though; it was done for Snap internationally all the way back on Wii Virtual Console (and carried over to Wii U and Switch).

If it launches with save states, a Transfer Pak update would probably mean disabling the creation of new save states (possibly as an opt-in measure, if they're feeling generous). It's not the special Pokémon that are the problem, it's the storage boxes. The Stadium games were how you got extended Pokémon storage in Gen 1 and 2.
Oh duh, I was completely forgetting about that too, lol. Yeah, that’s definitely the bigger issue here… I can’t see them allowing Suspend Points at all if Transfer Pak features are ever supported. And I feel like they wouldn’t want to remove functionality with an update, so that’s why I think if the game has Suspend Points when it releases next week then that’s probably the nail in the coffin for Transfer Pak support ever being a thing, unfortunately… They could just disable new Suspend Points like you said, but I have a hard time imagining them actually doing that.

Beating it with rental pokemon isn't so much as a problem as that there isn't much of a reason to do it. Like, every single cool thing to unlock/earn involves using a Gameboy game.

Back
Top Bottom