• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic 2023 GOTY Award Tracking and Discussion |ST|

mazi

picross pundit
with the goty awards season coming up, this thread can be used to track and post the end of the year lists that different websites and magazines publish. as with the previous year, the new goty tracker website and the resetera thread will be used to track the total award numbers (thanks to BrickArts295, a0mineda1k1 and the rest of the people on era for tracking the awards).

please post the upcoming goty lists here in this thread, they'll be threadmarked and i'll change the title to reflect the latest lists from major publications.

the total so far:
  • Baldur's Gate III - 203
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 74
  • Alan Wake II - 49
  • Resident Evil 4 (2023) - 9
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 9
  • Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon - 4
  • Hogwarts Legacy - 4
  • Sea of Stars - 3
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 3
  • Lies of P - 2
  • Octopath Traveler II - 2
  • Amnesia: The Bunker - 1
  • A Space for The Unbound - 1
  • Atomic Heart - 1
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - 1
  • Cocoon - 1
  • Dave the Diver - 1
  • Diablo IV - 1
  • Disney Illusion Island - 1
  • Final Fantasy XVI - 1
  • Remnant II - 1
  • Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew - 1
  • Starfield - 1
  • The Talos Principle 2 - 1
  • Venba - 1

previous threads: 2021, 2022

Last edited:
Golden Joystick Awards 2023

all the awards except critic's choice are selected by fan votes

Best Storytelling - Baldur's Gate 3
Still Playing Award - No Man's Sky
Best Visual Design - Baldur's Gate 3
Studio of the Year - Larian Studios
Best Game Expansion - Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Best Indie Game - Sea of Stars
Best VR Game - Horizon Call of the Mountain
Best Multiplayer Game - Mortal Kombat 1
Best Audio - Final Fantasy XVI
Best Game Trailer - Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Best Streaming Game - Valorant
Best Game Community - Baldur's Gate 3
Best Gaming Hardware - PSVR 2
Breakthrough Award - Coccoon / Geometric Interactive
Best Lead Performer - Ben Starr, Final Fantasy XVI
Best Supporting Performer - Neil Newborn, Astarion, Baldur's Gate 3
Nintendo Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
PC Game of the Year - Baldur's Gate 3
Xbox Game of the Year - Starfield
PlayStation Game of the Year - Resident Evil 4
Most Wanted Game - Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Critics' Choice Award - Alan Wake II
Ultimate Game of the Year -
5. Final Fantasy XVI
4. Resident Evil 4
3. Spider-Man 2
2. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
1. Baldur's Gate 3

I'm not going to disparage any of the other games in this incredible year of gaming in this thread, but before all the awards come out I will say that I already get sense that TOTK will not get the recognition it deserves this year for reasons.

In terms of its mechanical depth, insane level of polish and the sheer breadth of quality content it offers, I feel like it's doing laps around anything else I've ever played including the previous bars Nintendo themselves have set.

Im surprised Zelda didn't win best audio (with that title I assume is audio design). It's obvious that this year the GOTY is 50/50 Zelda and Baldur's Gate 3. Both deserve it equally and it can really go either way with one vote of difference for all we know.

I don't think BG3 winning the player's polling is any big surprise but I was caught a bit off guard by Alan Wake 2 getting the critics' choice. The Golden Joysticks aren't generally a bellwether for how things go in awards season but I think maybe it's going to pick up more GOTYs than people may be expecting.

I don't think AW2 is very likely to win GOTY at TGA (nominated, sure) but it almost feels like a shoo-in for Best Direction at this point.

Tears of the Kingdom will win many awards, but likely be the OST rob of the year due to its minimalist nature which might go over the head of many.

Such a good year for games. I still haven’t seen my favourite (Octopath II) mentioned but honestly, I get it, there’s been a huge array of great games in 2023.

TOTK will definitely win more awards at the game awards since the joystick awards are voter-based (and the significantly lesser know award show) aside from critics chosen GOTY

my guess: BG3 will win the most awards out of any game, including goty at the game awards. totk will come second with a decent number.
I was looking over the game awards categories earlier and the only one I see TOTK taking home is best action adventure. Seems crazy to say but I’m serious. Which other ones were you thinking of?

I was looking over the game awards categories earlier and the only one I see TOTK taking home is best action adventure. Seems crazy to say but I’m serious. Which other ones were you thinking of?
i meant goty awards from other publications. the goty at keighley's is just one award out of like 500 that are given each year (last year elden ring won 436 out of 596 awards given)

the game awards are honestly kind of a joke, i don't know how keighley has convinced everyone that his 3 hour adverisment show is like the oscars of gaming.

i meant goty awards from other publications. the goty at keighley's is just one award out of like 500 that are given each year (last year elden ring won 436 out of 596 awards given)

the game awards are honestly kind of a joke, i don't know how keighley has convinced everyone that his 3 hour adverisment show is like the oscars of gaming.
Oh, got it, I misunderstood.

It's easily in the running for GOTY (though I favor BG3 there too) and best design.

I don’t see “Best design“ as a category. Unless you mean best direction in which case I think Alan Wake 2 is taking that.
Oops, that's what I meant yeah. Tbf it's always been a pretty confusing category to me, Alan Wake 2 winning it would be cool though.

Last edited:
In a year with so many good Switch games, it's criminal how robbed the Switch has been. In fact I'd say most of these games should be erased and replaced with Switch games. Octopath II > Final Fantasy XVI. Mario Wonder > Mortal Kombat 1. We can leave some morsels for the others. Seeing this outcome makes me question games journalists. When will the injustice end?

I'm not going to disparage any of the other games in this incredible year of gaming in this thread, but before all the awards come out I will say that I already get sense that TOTK will not get the recognition it deserves this year for reasons.

In terms of its mechanical depth, insane level of polish and the sheer breadth of quality content it offers, I feel like it's doing laps around anything else I've ever played including the previous bars Nintendo themselves have set.
I feel like the game isn't just as surprising and different enough from Botw to deserve a GoTY title when there is other excellent games that released this year. I feel like Totk didn't totally tweak the flaws of Botw i wanted them to but leveled up on stuff i already liked in Botw.

Baldurs gate is going to win. Recency bias will bury TOTK
Every single GOTY winner besides the very first one (Dragon's Age Inquisition) has been a H1 release. Recency bias has not and never will be a decider for the main GOTY award.

If Baldur's Gate 3 wins, it'll be because critics thought it was the best game of the year, not because it released a couple months after Zelda.

In a year with so many good Switch games, it's criminal how robbed the Switch has been. In fact I'd say most of these games should be erased and replaced with Switch games. Octopath II > Final Fantasy XVI. Mario Wonder > Mortal Kombat 1. We can leave some morsels for the others. Seeing this outcome makes me question games journalists. When will the injustice end?
Did OT2 have timed Switch exclusivity?

Every single GOTY winner besides the very first one (Dragon's Age Inquisition) has been a H1 release. Recency bias has not and never will be a decider for the main GOTY award.

If Baldur's Gate 3 wins, it'll be because critics thought it was the best game of the year, not because it released a couple months after Zelda.
Seriously? Color me surprised! Could’ve swore that wasn’t the case, guess not

That's a bit disparaging of what the awards actually are. Yeah, the Game Awards' presentation is very corporate, but the awards themselves - no matter how they're presented - are the only awards around that represent a global voting pool of every major gaming publication and outlet.

They're not chosen by Geoff and a few of his mates like people generally assume they are.

The unnatural push in favor of Baldur's Gate 3 starts smh. How can a gate be better than a legend?
How deep does the rot go?

Please refrain from pushing conspiracy theories around Baldur’s Gate 3. You’ve done this in multiple threads now. -xghost777, MissingNo., MondoMega
Note to mods: I'm responding to famiboard joke/memes with jokes of my own. There is nothing conspiratorial going on here.

How deep does the rot go?
Into Act 3.

BG3 showed this one guy how incredibly polished Larian's products are and how everyone else should feel shame, but then they reached Act 3 and realized they were balls deep in the rot and had actually been living a lie.

The unnatural push in favor of Baldur's Gate 3 starts smh. How can a gate be better than a legend?

Where was all this GOTY love for the superior and more polished DoS titles (which were also arguably more impressive at the times of their release)?

It's almost as though the gates opened to such an unnatural degree that they got people to finally play their first C-RPG:unsure:

Last edited:
Into Act 3.

BG3 showed this one guy how incredibly polished Larian's products are and how everyone else should feel shame, but then they reached Act 3 and realized they were balls deep in the rot and had actually been living a lie.

Where was all this GOTY love for the superior and more polished DoS titles (which were also arguably more impressive at the times of their release)?

It's almost as though the gates opened to such an unnatural degree that they got people to finally play their first C-RPG:unsure:
Uh, nah

Anyway BG3 is winning, I think. This is a year where I got a Fire Emblem, usually my go to winner, that I liked and it still isn't my GotY pick. BG3 deserves wins, and Larian's continued work on the game to expand and refine it deserves some attention too.

Into Act 3.

Ehh, I haven't played it myself yet, but for people I trust who know what they're talking about, nearly everyone says that BG3 is a vastly more impressive and better game than DoS2 (and they loved DoS2, too!).

Larian deserves all the wins they will get for BG3 and I'm really looking forward to diving into it at some point. For me, I'm just hoping that Octopath 2 still manages to win a few awards this year, as well as smaller Indies like A Space for the Unbound.

Baldurs gate is going to win. Recency bias will bury TOTK
Recency bias is a thing, but Baldur's Gate 3 is a legitimately well-designed, fun game that pretty masterfully recreates the tabletop D&D experience in a video game in an era where D&D and tabletop RPGs are more popular than ever.

WatchMojo's top 10 video games of 2023

1. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
5. Marvel's Spider-Man 2
6. Alan Wake II
7. Final Fantasy XVI
8. Hi-Fi Rush
9. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
10. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

honorable mentions: Dredge, Sea of Stars, Street Fighter 6, Dave the Diver, Starfield

Last edited:

1. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
5. Marvel's Spider-Man 2
6. Alan Wake II
7. Final Fantasy XVI
8. Hi-Fi Rush
9. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
10. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

honorable mentions: Dredge, Sea of Stars, Street Fighter 6, Dave the Diver, Starfield

I think we'll be seeing a lot of variations of this top 10 list from a lot of outlets. And I can understand why, it's been a very good year for AAA games (and ones developed by C teams ;)), but I still find it a shame there wasn't room on this top 10 for a single smaller title. Oh well, maybe I'll end up surprised as more come out.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what Paste, Slant and Polygon come out with this year - I always find their lists the most interesting and varied, and I feel like I can always find something on them that I haven't heard of before that appeals to me.

Paste Magazine's top 30 games of 2023

30. Goodbye Volcano High
29. Chants of Sennaar
28. Laika: Aged Through Blood
27. Tchia
26. Pikmin 4
25. Super Mario RPG
24. Oxenfree II: Lost Signals
23. Baldur’s Gate 3
22. Jusant
21. The Making of Karateka
20. A Space for the Unbound
19. Sea of Stars
18. Final Fantasy 16
17. Dredge
16. Metroid Prime Remastered
15. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
14. Hi-Fi Rush
13. Pizza Tower
12. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
11. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
10. Saltsea Chronicles
9. Resident Evil 4
8. The Banished Vault
7. Cocoon
6. Venba
5. Street Fighter 6
4. Thirsty Suitors
3. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2. El Paso, Elsewhere
1. Alan Wake II

As usual with Paste, a hugely varied list that doesn't have all the games you expect in the top 10. Some great indie representation as usual too.

Definitely need to give Alan Wake II a go - for anyone who's played it, is it enhanced by playing the first game or can you go straight in?

30. Goodbye Volcano High
29. Chants of Sennaar
28. Laika: Aged Through Blood
27. Tchia
26. Pikmin 4
25. Super Mario RPG
24. Oxenfree II: Lost Signals
23. Baldur’s Gate 3
22. Jusant
21. The Making of Karateka
20. A Space for the Unbound
19. Sea of Stars
18. Final Fantasy 16
17. Dredge
16. Metroid Prime Remastered
15. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
14. Hi-Fi Rush
13. Pizza Tower
11. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
10. Saltsea Chronicles
9. Resident Evil 4
8. The Banished Vault
7. Cocoon
6. Venba
5. Street Fighter 6
4. Thirsty Suitors
3. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2. El Paso, Elsewhere
1. Alan Wake II

As usual with Paste, a hugely varied list that doesn't have all the games you expect in the top 10. Some great indie representation as usual too.

Definitely need to give Alan Wake II a go - for anyone who's played it, is it enhanced by playing the first game or can you go straight in?
Fun list, "Imagine if Journey was explicitly about the Tower of Babel." Paste immediately sold me on Chants of Senaar lol.

I guess we could try to predict The Game Awards jury votes from these separated awards, but TGA happens too early so there won't be many verdicts posted by then

From the list I knew TechTudo from Brazil was eligible. TrueGaming and 3DJuegos are part of the TGA jury too

WhatCulture's 20 best video games of 2023

20. Assassin's Creed Mirage
19. Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line
18. Mortal Kombat 1
17. RoboCop: Rogue City
16. Sea of Stars
15. Hi-Fi Rush
14. Pikmin 4
13. Gravity Circuit
11. Armored Core 6: Fires Of Rubicon
10. Marvel's Spider-Man 2