• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic 2023 GOTY Award Tracking and Discussion |ST|

25. Sea of Stars
24. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
23. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
22. Pizza Tower
21. Crypt Underworld
20. Time Bandit – Part 1: Appendages of the Machine
19. Venba
18. Viewfinder
17. Lies of P
16. Final Fantasy XVI
15. Resident Evil 4
14. El Paso, Elsewhere
13. Street Fighter 6
12. Octopath Traveler II
11. Jusant
10. Hi-Fi Rush
9. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
8. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
7. A Space for the Unbound
6. Humanity
5. Cocoon
4. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
3. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2. Baldur’s Gate 3
1. Alan Wake II
Top 10 with Cocoon, Humanity and Space for the Unbound is great to see.

Alan Wake II really pulling in those awards right now, playing through the first now in prep for it so all the positive attention is making me look forward to it more.

I was looking over the game awards categories earlier and the only one I see TOTK taking home is best action adventure. Seems crazy to say but I’m serious. Which other ones were you thinking of?
I think TOTK will have the best action adventure game and the best game direction, Wonder will have the best family game and the best art direction, but BG3 will be the game of the year.

Polygon's 50 best video games of 2023
Polygon’s Top 10

1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2. Baldur’s Gate 3
3. Alan Wake 2
5. Pikmin 4
6. Cocoon
7. Street Fighter 6
8. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
9. Jusant
10. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon

Polygon’s Top 10

2. Baldur’s Gate 3
3. Alan Wake 2
5. Pikmin 4
6. Cocoon
7. Street Fighter 6
8. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
9. Jusant
10. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
that top 5...

NME's 20 best games of 2023

20. Humanity
19. Lies Of P
18. Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
17. Metroid Prime Remastered
16. Amnesia: The Bunker
15. Pikmin 4
14. Dredge
13. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon
12. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
11. Venba
10. Cocoon
9. Street Fighter 6
8. Dead Space
7. Hi-Fi Rush
6. Resident Evil 4
5. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
4. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
3. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2. Baldur's Gate 3
1. Alan Wake 2

Really interesting how well AW2 is keeping up with Zelda so far. It’s still early, but maybe they do have a chance on Thursday.

GameSpot’s Top 10 (no order so nothing much to see I guess)

From the sounds of the article they're announcing their overall pick for GOTY tomorrow.

Nice to see Hitman Freelancer included in a list, haven't been properly following things but it's the first time I think I've seen it mentioned so far.

In a year with so many good Switch games, it's criminal how robbed the Switch has been. In fact I'd say most of these games should be erased and replaced with Switch games. Octopath II > Final Fantasy XVI. Mario Wonder > Mortal Kombat 1. We can leave some morsels for the others. Seeing this outcome makes me question games journalists. When will the injustice end?
This is the funniest thing I’ve seen all day, reads like a post from a decade ago.

Is Alan Wake II like the first one? I mean good story, but by-the-numbers gameplay? I don't try to hate or something, I'm genuinely interested to know. Cause every praise I read about it doesn't mention the gameplay.

Is Alan Wake II like the first one? I mean good story, but by-the-numbers gameplay? I don't try to hate or something, I'm genuinely interested to know. Cause every praise I read about it doesn't mention the gameplay.

I’ve heard that it’s very good on the gameplay front, many reviews have mentioned how it leans heavily into survival horror.

The gameplay is worse in Alan Wake II than one. It is more creative with its puzzles, is more thought out in its gameplay, but it has much higher highs and much lower lows. The combat at times feels like it barely functions, guns don't have much knockback and it takes a lot of bullets to kill some enemies if you don't aim correctly, which is easy to do because they're also significantly harder to hit than in Alan Wake and can teleport right to you, meaning that you'll get stun locked to death tons of times. I don't mind it being harder to kill the enemies, that's a good change and you can see the REmake 2 influence bleed through in the bullet system, but it's just too much when you also factor worse weaponery and teleporting. It's the most awkward mixture of survival horror and action horror imaginable. On top of that, a lot of side puzzles are either obtuse or kind of annoying to get (even echos, which are the easiest side unlocks, can devolve into pixel hunting).

The first 7 hours of gameplay only have like 4-5 enemy encounters. And when I say that, I mean that literally. Not to mention the Alan Wake Silent Hilling and the Saga Anderson Ace Attorneying can get super arbitrary as a gameplay mechanic. I still recommend it to people interested in the game because it's very good creatively, and the gameplay is fun at times especially the exploring, but it's severely flawed. The most I can say about Alan Wake I is that it's a somewhat uninspiring RE4 clone in its gameplay, and that it being an action game didn't really fit what it was going for entirely, but that isn't nearly as bad and it also kept the pacing of the game incredibly tight.

I've seen a fair amount of "bad gameplay, amazing game" takes on sites like Backloggd so I can't imagine I'm the only one, though I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Polygon list a lovely mixture of things I've managed to play and loved in 2023 as well as things I wanted to play in 2023 but which will have to wait for next year. At least I've got Highland Song, Cocoon and Jusant installed (but Pizza Tower, Dave the Diver, Dredge, Chants of Sennaar, Alan Wake II and Baldur's Gate 3 have to wait).

I've seen a fair amount of "bad gameplay, amazing game" takes on sites like Backloggd so I can't imagine I'm the only one, though I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.
I'll never understand how a game with bad gameplay can be a good game, but maybe I'm getting older.

AW2 definitely has that horror game clunk that it just doesn’t handle as well as modern RE does. I still think it’s a good game that’s worth playing, though.

The gameplay isn’t even my biggest gripe with it, though. That goes to the 79 face jump scares throughout the experience that are scary maybe 2 times and just headache inducing the rest. Just took me out of the game.

My my, BG3 sweep seems to have started. According to the era thread it has 54% of the awards.

For not Totk seems to be in the same position as 2017 Odyssey. Thought Odyssey would be more competitive in 2017.

It is crazy just how out of nowhere BG3 was despite being around so long. It was such an easy assumption that TotK had this 6 months ago but now it’s not even the obvious choice anymore. At least, not the only one.

IGN Japan's Top 10.
10.FFXVI
9.Enjoy the diner
8.Resident Evil 4 Remake
7.Spider-Man 2
6.Hi-Fi Rush
5.Super Mario Wonder
4.Starfield
3.Armored Core VI
2.Street Fighter 6
1.Tears of the Kingdom

Last edited:
Giant Bomb game of the year 2023

2. Alan Wake II
3. Baldur's Gate 3 and Resident Evil 4
5. Pikmin 4
6. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
7. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
8. Marvel's Spider-Man 2
9. Chants of Sennaar and Street Fighter 6

the latest tally:
  • Baldur's Gate 3 - 30
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 12
  • Alan Wake 2 - 8
  • Disney Illusion Island - 1
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 1
  • Octopath Traveler 2 - 1

glad octopath 2 got a win

Biggest win is Octopath Traveler II getting one at least same as when A Link Between Worlds managed to win one back in 2013

Nice to see IGN with the correct* winner. They're arguably the biggest award after TGA.

*yeah yeah, opinions and all that

God damn that BG3 lead. Hopefully I can eventually figure out the time to give it a try.
It honestly is a great game. I have certain issues with it, it’s by no means flawless, could use some work to polish it up a bit, the inventory system is a bit of a mess, and the controls on console, while adapted as well as they could, are kinda finicky and can be clumsy, but I love how it lets you forge your own path with your own carefully crafted character with a great party of characters to travel with and interesting world to explore. Ranks pretty highly in my GotY list and might’ve been the winner had it not been for another game. Only thing I’d push for, if you’re gonna play it, is to go with the PC version if you can

latest update
  • Baldur's Gate 3 - 45
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 20
  • Alan Wake 2 - 13
  • Disney Illusion Island - 1
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - 1
  • Octopath Traveler 2 - 1
  • Sea of Stars - 1
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 1

the top 3 is pretty much settled at this point

Game Informer's top 10 games of 2023

Game Informer's Top 10 Games of 2023:

10) Street Fighter 6
9) Sea of Stars
8) Jusant
7) Super Mario Bros. Wonder
6) Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
5) Alan Wake 2
4) Resident Evil 4
3) Spider-Man 2
2) Baldur's Gate 3
1) The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

The A.V. Club's best games of 2023

20. Diablo IV
19. Misericorde: Volume On
18. Starfield
17. Star Ocean: The Second Story R
16. Wild Hearts
15. Remnant 2
14. Hi-Fi Rush
13. Dead Space
12. Meet Your Maker
11. Luck Be a Landlord
10. Alan Wake II
9. Resident Evil 4
8. Lies Of P
7. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
6. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
5. The Roottrees Are Dead
4. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
3. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
2. Baldur’s Gate III

Last edited:

20. Diablo IV
19. Misericorde: Volume On
18. Starfield
17. Star Ocean: The Second Story R
16. Wild Hearts
15. Remnant 2
14. Hi-Fi Rush
13. Dead Space
12. Meet Your Maker
11. Luck Be a Landlord
10. Alan Wake II
9. Resident Evil 4
8. Lies Of P
7. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
6. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
5. The Roottrees Are Dead
4. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
3. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
2. Baldur’s Gate III

Luck be a Landlord, Lies of P, Armored Core 6, Misericorde, and Wild Hearts????

BASED.

5d7fbfed2e22af20a113325d

Spider-man 2 was GameXplain's GOTY, in a weird twist. I haven't really watched them in forever but that's pretty surprising considering how Nintendo heavy this year was.

Back
Top Bottom