• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck!

I don’t necessarily think there’s gonna be much big, but this direct is exciting to me because we do literally know NOTHING about Nintendo’s second half. They’ve played their cards close to the chest for most of the switch era, but I we quite literally know nothing past June through the holidays right now lol. I don’t think that’s ever happened, normally we’d get at least one game from the February direct.

Will be cool to see the plan, whatever it is.

I’d like to play a new Kirby game soon. It may not have been enough time since forgotten land, but Kirby is typically there at the end of a consoles life cycle to grace us with his presence. Robobot deluxe would be a suitable substitute for a new game as well

Next Round Nintendo Direct Predictions! Like many others, this isn't something super special or unique, but hopefully there will be some accuracy to it.

June - Luigi's Mansion 2 & Metroid Prime 2 & 3 Shadowdrop
July - Nintendo World Championship
August - Metroid Prime 2 & 3 Physical Release
September - Fire Emblem Genealogy Remake
October - Legend of Zelda something or other, be it the new Zelda-focused game Papa Genos is hinting at or the WW/TP remasters Nintendo is sitting on.
November - Metroid Prime 4
December - Small JRPG Remake/Remaster/Revival - I'm thinking Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun, or Custom Robo.

For minor games I'm personally interested in:
Moonstone Island - Due its participation in the Wholesome Direct on June 8, I think it'll Shadowdrop then and not during the Nintendo Direct. I can still see it appearing in the Nintendo Direct, depending on the date of said Direct, but it'll either be an "available now!" or "coming June 8th" thing.

Sun Haven - Brazil mentioned the likelihood of an Indie Direct in August, so I think this game will make an appearance there. Sun Haven just got its final big patch in April, so it's full speed ahead on a Switch port now. No idea for a release date, but I'd say maybe September/October?

Symphony of War - Indie Direct in August announcement for an October/November release date. The original timeframe was for a late-2024 release, and October/November hits that slot perfectly.

Dark Deity 2 - November/December at the earliest IMO.
I generally agree with this, but with some differences:

September - New Hyrule Warriors game starring Zelda as the main protagonist
October - Fire Emblem Genealogy Remake
November - still Metroid Prime 4
December - Pushmo port
January - Donkey Kong Country Returns HD
February - Another Kirby remake - probably Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
March - Small RPG remake/remaster/revival

For NSO releases, I'm thinking Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones and DK: King of Swing on GBA.

I have no clue if Grant knows something, or that he would like to see those classics to be on Switch.
However, if anything Rare related, I personally hope to get a port of Viva Pinata or it's sequel Trouble in Paradise on Switch.
Viva Pinata was the game that inspired me to be the gardener I am today, haha.
And besides that, I believe Grant did make the music of Viva Pinata.
Viva_Pinata_Trouble_in_Paradise.jpg

Something I randomly remembered: at launch, F-Zero 99 had some data-mined evidence of new modes that we still haven't gotten

I wonder if the direct could announce DLC/offline mode/physical release like Tetris 99 got

Hard to say. They don't seem to like Summer Games Fest for some reason, so I would guess it would either be really early in June before that starts or mid-June after it's over.
Is anyone really that much interested in Geoff’s stuff? It’s a real question, not sarcasm. Personally I don’t care about this guy and I don’t know anyone who does, but I’m amazed to see the hype that the slightest of his empty and superficial initiatives can drain.

E3 had a unique and phenomenal impact in its time, I do not believe that it is enough to gesticulate in all directions to actually generate an interest even vaguely similar.

Is anyone really that much interested in Geoff’s stuff? It’s a real question, not sarcasm. Personally I don’t care about this guy and I don’t know anyone who does, but I’m amazed to see the hype that the slightest of his empty and superficial initiatives can drain.

E3 had a unique and phenomenal impact in its time, I do not believe that it is enough to gesticulate in all directions to actually generate an interest even vaguely similar.
I don't think anyone cares about Geoff the person, it's more about the fact that the big studios tend to throw trailers and exclusives at him and people are interested in those.

Personally, I don't like Geoff for a whole host of reasons. But somehow he's managed to build an audience, and that has value for a lot of studios/publishers, who are willing to pay to get eyeballs on their games

Nintendo seems to know they can do just as well or better on their own and don't need Keighley as badly as he wants them. But you go even like one step down and big companies like Square or WB seem more than happy to use his platform for their marketing

However, if anything Rare related, I personally hope to get a port of Viva Pinata or it's sequel Trouble in Paradise on Switch.

I would love that, never got to play Viva Pinata. It's one of maybe 3 Xbox exclusives that I've wanted to try.

Last edited:
I have no clue if Grant knows something, or that he would like to see those classics to be on Switch.
Yeah he kinda listed the games he wants for the NSO. Banjo Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Diddy Kong racing and DK64. Twelve Tales is the name of Conker before it became a mature oriented title. That cannot happen as 4 games are too many for one time N64 NSO drop. Base subscription gets nothing.

Speaking of Conker though, I recall there was a listing on the Austrian Classification boards for an 18+ version of N64 Switch Online, similar to the one Japan got. I can't really think of too many games on the console that have that rating, just Conker and Perfect Dark.

Maybe we'll see that come out this year.

Speaking of Conker though, I recall there was a listing on the Austrian Classification boards for an 18+ version of N64 Switch Online, similar to the one Japan got. I can't really think of too many games on the console that have that rating, just Conker and Perfect Dark.

I'd say bring Mortal Kombat 4 as well.. but WB would continue to do a terrible job on not rereleasing Klassic Mortal Kombat games (aside of being on GOG, apparently lol)

I expect ALL of Rare games across all Nintendo platforms will be on NSO soon. Including lesser known GBA games (It's Mr Pants!) and even Mickey Mouse titles.

But not at the same time of course. Wave two should have one for each platform.
I'd say bring Mortal Kombat 4 as well.. but WB would continue to do a terrible job on not rereleasing Klassic Mortal Kombat games (aside of being on GOG, apparently lol)
Ed Boon said MK games on Nintendo VC services will never happen. There seems to be several problems, such as console versions of older games were published by Acclaim and some license issues. Our best bet is another remaster collection though it can only have arcade Midway versions.

Ed Boon said MK games on Nintendo VC services will never happen. There seems to be several problems, such as console versions of older games were published by Acclaim and some license issues. Our best bet is another remaster collection though it can only have arcade Midway versions.
Well, there were situations (many, in fact) where the publisher of a VC or NSO rerelease was changed, despite of some remains of the original publisher be still in the ROM such as logos and mentions by copyright text. Just recently we got two N64 games that were originally published by Acclaim, but now with a new publisher.

It's WB's fault for not actually going through the effort of sorting these things out.

I expect ALL of Rare games across all Nintendo platforms will be on NSO soon. Including lesser known GBA games (It's Mr Pants!) and even Mickey Mouse titles.

But not at the same time of course. Wave two should have one for each platform.

As far as I know, nothing has ever been said about licensing problems. Only that MK was not going to be released in the CV, which fits with Warner's policies regarding re-releases of such old games: not to do them.

Furthermore, the GoG versions of the classic MKs are the ones published physically on PC at that time, and were published by Aklaim, now published in GoG by WB, so it is most likely that there was no licensing problem.

As far as I know, nothing has ever been said about licensing problems. Only that MK was not going to be released in the CV, which fits with Warner's policies regarding re-releases of such old games: not to do them.

Furthermore, the GoG versions of the classic MKs are the ones published physically on PC at that time, and were published by Aklaim, now published in GoG by WB, so it is most likely that there was no licensing problem.
Ed Boon said it on his reddit ama but didn't detail what they were. He did say "just forget about any re-release of console versions. it'll never happen".

Viva Pinata was the game that inspired me to be the gardener I am today, haha.
And besides that, I believe Grant did make the music of Viva Pinata.
Viva_Pinata_Trouble_in_Paradise.jpg

I think microsoft should just port the entire classic library of rare titles to the switch, all the way up to nuts and bolts. Even the hd versions of the n64 stuff. I bet they would sell pretty well, and it wouldn’t be too expensive of a task to take on. There is a lot of nostalgia out there for some of those early 360 games like perfect dark zero, and viva piñata. They can sell on nostalgia alone. Sadly though, no amount of nostalgia will make perfect dark zero a good game.

While I’m on this topic, there are a ton of 360 and ps3 games that I would 100 percent buy on the switch. They would run well on the system and probably not be to taxing to port. Games like F.E.A.R. 1 and 2, the darkness 1 and 2, singularity, the saboteur, saints row 1 and 2. Instead of downgrading a game to run on the current switch, upgrade some recent-ish classics to make them shine on the current switch

I would love that, never got to play Viva Pinata. It's one of maybe 3 Xbox exclusives that I've wanted to try.
Funny enough, there was also Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise, which is a DS game, set between the first game and Trouble In Paradise, I believe.😛

Ed Boon said it on his reddit ama but didn't detail what they were. He did say "just forget about any re-release of console versions. it'll never happen".
That said, they are not relaunching anything because of Warner's policies. At no time is there evidence or signs that there are problems beyond WB and its policies for old games.

I bought a pair of vouchers in October, spent one on Mario Wonder and said "not sure what I'll spend the other one on, but I got time. I'm sure there will be something"

As it stands now, every current voucher game is either:
-one I already own (that’s most of them tbh)
-a game that doesn't interest me
-something I can easily get below full price
-a release I specifically want a physical copy of (TTYD)

And I just heard that SMTV:V is also a voucher game, after I already decided to get that on Steam.

Please June Direct, give me a voucher-worthy game before October. I'm guessing that's gonna the fabled Fire Emblem remake, but we'll see

I bought a pair of vouchers in October, spent one on Mario Wonder and said "not sure what I'll spend the other one on, but I got time. I'm sure there will be something"

As it stands now, every current voucher game is either:
-one I already own (that’s most of them tbh)
-a game that doesn't interest me
-something I can easily get below full price
-a release I specifically want a physical copy of (TTYD)

And I just heard that SMTV:V is also a voucher game, after I already decided to get that on Steam.

Please June Direct, give me a voucher-worthy game before October. I'm guessing that's gonna the fabled Fire Emblem remake, but we'll see
I have one voucher remaining and every so often I look at the offerings and think “hmmm do I really want to use my voucher on this? I guess it could be good” and then I’m like “I just know if I use it on this game the next direct will have a killer shadow drop and I’ll be screaming at myself”

Saw a post awhile back saying this will be the last Switch focused Direct. If that is true, I wonder what that means for the September Direct. Will there not be one, or will it contain Switch 2 stuff meaning a reveal before September or September being reveal month for Switch 2?

Something I randomly remembered: at launch, F-Zero 99 had some data-mined evidence of new modes that we still haven't gotten

I wonder if the direct could announce DLC/offline mode/physical release like Tetris 99 got

Considering the weekly cosmetic challenges currently in the game's files will run dry by the middle of June, I could totally see an F-Zero 99 update being in a June direct.
Remix tracks feel like a likely addition considering the other half of the mystery tracks became mirror mode. Or the game could just stop getting updates, who knows really.

Saw a post awhile back saying this will be the last Switch focused Direct. If that is true, I wonder what that means for the September Direct. Will there not be one, or will it contain Switch 2 stuff meaning a reveal before September or September being reveal month for Switch 2?
I expect Nintendo to also release a crossgen title at the launch of switch 2. Both to send the message that they are not abandoning the previous console and to potentially highlight some things from the next hardware like DLSS. If that’s the case, I can imagine that Nintendo Direct in June will only focus on 2024 and will keep a big announcement for later.

Now, I have to say that I’m a little mixed about this, because even if Metroid Prime 4 for example was released in early 2025 for this reason, I will be disappointed if we didn’t see at least one trailer in June. But for me, Metroid Prime 4 and a Zelda remaster are the two options that seem the most logical for early 2025.

I hope we see Zero Mission on NSO along with the Rare stuff; someone I know is playing through the series in release order, got through Fusion recently and is waiting on their copy of Prime Remastered to arrive, so the Direct would hit at just the right time for them to be almost finished with that. Like, I want Echoes Remastered and maybe even Samus Returns HD, but I'm not entirely expecting them, but it seems weird to me that ZM isn't available yet.

Pain, Why does it have to be Weedle's?

I don't think we're getting a new game, but a remake sometime in the next five years seems inevitable. Super Mario RPG did really well and Thousand Year Door will probably sell 2 million copies minimum. Remaking another RPG is a no brainer.

I've seen a lot of love for Viva Piñata but I don't think I've ever seen anyone sing Perfect Dark Zero's praises or express nostalgia for it.
lol, I agree mostly, that’s why I followed up with this “Sadly though, no amount of nostalgia will make perfect dark zero a good game.”

I have nostalgia in the sense that I have nostalgia for that xbox 360 launch period as a whole, and pdz was a part of that. Some of my favorite gaming memories include spending most of 05 watching coverage of the console on g4 and gamespot. I also remember getting my hands on one for the first time at a target demo kiosk and playing cod 2. I know it’s not much now, but I was blown away by the visuals of those games back then. I don’t think I’ve been as impressed with a console leap since.

So yeah, pdz is nostalgic for me, but I wouldn’t recommend anyone play it, as it really does suck. Kameo on the other hand, which is another 360 launch game from rare is good imo. I think that game deserves a larger audience

All I want from the next Direct is confirmation and a date for Mina the Hollower, I'm not asking for much.
And a reveal, release date and Eiji Aonuma song-and-dance number for The Legend of Zelda: The Zelda of Legend videogame starring Zelda from The Legend of Zelda series of videogames.

If the collaboration between Nintendo and ArtePiazza were to continue, Mario & Luigi would be next.
I don't see ArtePiazza making a Pokemon remake. (TPC is continuing its partnership with ILCA).

A Fun Little Game While I Concoct The Next Trivia Question New
You have 15 points, choose your second half 2024 line-up:

5EPD 3 & Grezzo new 2D ZeldaEPD 8 2D gameEPD 4 or 7 Tomodachi
4Metroid Prime 4Fire Emblem 4 RemakeNew NdCube game
3Zelda remasterNew Warriors game2D-HD timed exclusive
2Mario sports titleBandai-Namco remaster of a Nintendo gameDonkey Kong Country Returns HD
1HAL eShop gameHagi Wii/GC port PC-Engine NSO

2Mario sports titleBandai-Namco remaster of a Nintendo gameDonkey Kong Country Returns HD
1HAL eShop gameHagi Wii/GC portPC-Engine NSO
metroid prime 4
fire emblem 4 remake
zelda remaster
DKCR HD
bamco remaster

1HAL eShop gameHagi Wii/GC portPC-Engine NSO
easy, new 2D Zelda, EPD 8 2D game, 2D-HD timed exclusive and 2 Hagi Wii/GC ports

5 - EPD 4/7 Tomodachi
4 - FE 4 Remake
3 - Zelda remaster (does a barebones port of TP/WW HD count as that)
3 - New Warriors game

E: I should note, this isn't my "favorite H2 line-up", but what i would expect.

Back
Top Bottom