• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's wearing Eunie's outfit and using Mio's weapon. If he is it'd at least confirm we can mix and match any of the unlocked outfits and weapons as we please.

Also after all the analysis on this trailer pretty much revealing Manana and Riku don't seem to have blades as weapons, I don't think we'll be getting any weapons/classes from them.
I agree with you. I may have jumped the gun on being a new class lol. Looking at Eunie's art, her jacket does have that wide band of yellow at the bottom. Still that's exciting for customization options to see Noah in an attacker class using a defender weapon while wearing a healer outfit.

Also agree with you about the nopon. If we learn classes from 7th slotters, the nopon will be exempt.

This is the sort of crackpot theory that only comes from watching the trailer too many times. I went back to check something else in the trailer and then noticed this. I think I may have discovered a seventh class or at least something of note going on with costume/weapon/role relations.

During the brief shot of Lanz and Sena in ouroboros form fighting a ropl, you can see a party member in the distance fighting two scorpox.

Going through this bit frame by frame, you'll see Mio and Eunie are to the left of the ouroboros, and Taion is on its right side. By process of elimination, the distant character must be Noah. According to the HUD, he's in an attacker class. He's not wearing the red jacket and the red sword is nowhere to be seen, I can't make out a hammer either. Instead, he's wearing a black outfit with a big yellow band in the middle. I guess the closest thing it looks like is Eunie's outfit. There's blue damage numbers above both scorpox meaning he just used an AOE art. The stance he's in, the end of the art's animation, has his arms spread out and his body leaning forward. It looks like the animation typical of dual-wielding weapons (reminds me of Seven's Double Wind animation), but the HUD shows the attacker icon by his portrait when twin rings are a defender role weapon. I know it's small and blurry, but it looks like there's a short gray weapon in at least his right hand. There isn't a seventh party member according to the HUD either so it would have to be Noah.

Here are four ideas of what we're looking at:
  • It's a class beyond the six we know. A dual-wielding attacker class, probably dual swords. Or maybe Zeon's sword and shield class.
  • You actually do switch to the appropriate weapon when using left palette arts, and you can also wear any outfit. Noah's in the swordfighter class, but he's wearing the medic gunner jacket, and he has a twin ring art on the left palette which he just used, so it swapped his sword with the rings for the art's animation to work correctly.
  • That's not Noah. It's like FF12 where random NPCs appear in the world and will fight monsters on their own. Noah's probably behind the ouroboros.
  • He's just in the crusher class, the jacket looks weird on him, and the hammer is too blurry and small to see. If the outfit is shiny, the yellow could be something else just reflecting on it. The arms spread apart are what the hammer's AOE art looks like or he used a twin rings art with the hammer and it uses the same animation even if it looks weird with different weapons.

This is some deep analysis, I love it

I'm leaning towards option 2 at the moment, it really does look like Eunie's outfit to me. And outfit customization makes a good amount of sense to me and is supported by that other Nia footage. It could even be option 2 with his Sword and Gauntlet weapon configuration (it kinda looks like that to me, though of course it's very blurry), which would probably also be an attacker role.

That being said, it could be option 1 with Zeon, Ethel, or an unknown class.

I think he's wearing Eunie's outfit and using Mio's weapon. If he is it'd at least confirm we can mix and match any of the unlocked outfits and weapons as we please.

Also after all the analysis on this trailer pretty much revealing Manana and Riku don't seem to have blades as weapons, I don't think we'll be getting any weapons/classes from them.
Yeah it seems fairly unlikely, unfortunately. The lore doesn't seem to support getting non-Blade weapons for class swapping.

RIP "Pot and Gun", the best class

This talk about classes bear the question: Is the "Sword and Gauntlet" a 7th class? Cause another option is that he could just be in that class while using fashion gear (which I believe it's almost guaranteed, given the series history).

And if it's a class, will it be protag exclusive? I hope not, but the series history strike again...

Fake edit: Ninjaed

This talk about classes bear the question: Is the "Sword and Gauntlet" a 7th class? Cause another option is that he could just be in that class while using fashion gear (which I believe it's almost guaranteed, given the series history).

And if it's a class, will it be protag exclusive? I hope not, but the series history strike again...

Fake edit: Ninjaed
I'm leaning towards Sword and Gauntlet being a hint at a weapon swap mechanic instead of another class. The reasoning is that I feel like that mechanic's been teased a bit (e..g Eunie's class is called Medic Gunner and yet she's never actually used her gunstaff as a rifle in gameplay).

Also, it better not be protag exclusive. Everyone can use Noah's sword, after all, and the S&G looks less protag exclusive than the default Sword. The design does not scream "protag exclusive power up" to me

I completely forgot about the gauntlet. That could be what's going on in that shot. I'm skeptical it's a full class of its own. I think it will be special to Noah and will be activated similar to Pnuema where you hold R and press Y then swap out his right palette arts for gauntlets arts.

It would fit with previous protags having an additional action to get more abilities mid-combat. Shulk's talent art was to swap out his entire palette with a different set of eight arts. Rex could swap between Mythra and Pyra giving him exclusively a fourth element to work with and a different set of three specials, and then of course he gets Pnuema as well.

A so far unrevealed weapon swap mechanic like NabiscoFelt mentioned is something I've been going and back and forth on. It would fit with the gauntlet. It is weird how little Eunie uses her gunstaff as an actual gun while being medic gunner. All her animations look like Haze's attacks rather than Sharla's.

If there is a protag exclusive power up (and there probably will be), I'm leaning towards it being something tied to the Noah/Mio Ouroburos rather than Noah individually. While most people are treating Noah as the protagonist and Mio as the deuteragonist, technically the game has been giving them both equal billing as protagonists so far. So it makes more sense to me to tie the protag power up to their joint form

I'm leaning towards Sword and Gauntlet being a hint at a weapon swap mechanic instead of another class. The reasoning is that I feel like that mechanic's been teased a bit (e..g Eunie's class is called Medic Gunner and yet she's never actually used her gunstaff as a rifle in gameplay).

Also, it better not be protag exclusive. Everyone can use Noah's sword, after all, and the S&G looks less protag exclusive than the default Sword.
I certainly hope you're right.
The design does not scream "protag exclusive power up" to me
The gauntlet does (Aonuma even copied it) and the sword could easily become a 2 meters long broadsword made of light or something if his replica Monado becomes a true Monado though.

But again, I hope you're right. Having protag(s) being significantly better than others in gameplay just take away from controlling other part members.

I could see it being a thing where each character has an exclusive subclass available based on their alternate weapon form, assuming that's a consistent thing across the roster. So you could give the Gunrod to characters other than Eunie, but only Eunie would be able use the gun part on the left arts palette. Gives a reason to stick with canon Blade choices without necessarily making them superior, assuming the alternate weapon forms don't blow standard sub-classing out of the water.

I could see it being a thing where each character has an exclusive subclass available based on their alternate weapon form, assuming that's a consistent thing across the roster. So you could give the Gunrod to characters other than Eunie, but only Eunie would be able use the gun part on the left arts palette. Gives a reason to stick with canon Blade choices without necessarily making them superior, assuming the alternate weapon forms don't blow standard sub-classing out of the water.
I do find the mental image of someone (ideally Taion) just being utterly baffled on how to use the gun part of the gunstaff hillarious

In seriousness though, this is another possibility. I just think that weapon swapping is going to be in in some form since the hints are, in my mind at least, pretty clearly there.

Another hint for the possibility of weapon mode switching in addition to the gunstaff hardly being used as a rifle: In the reveal trailer, Taion has his origami take the form of three dimensional crows but in all the gameplay footage, as far as I can tell, the origami has stayed in the flat nopon shape. That could be the origami's mode switch.

On the other hand, Lanz does use his sword as a shield without a mode switch seemingly. You can see him use what looks like an active guard in the clip of the party fighting an ansel/rhogul with Noah and Mio's ouroboros. So that would be a point against it.

I do find the mental image of someone (ideally Taion) just being utterly baffled on how to use the gun part of the gunstaff hillarious

In seriousness though, this is another possibility. I just think that weapon swapping is going to be in in some form since the hints are, in my mind at least, pretty clearly there.
shtpGKB.gif

I kinda skipped most of the pre release build up for 2, though just browsing GAF at the time I ended up seeing a lot of the Blade reveals/artists accidentally.

The analysis on XBC3 though has been wild. The meshing of the two worlds is what I expected after the Fog Beasts in DE, but the battle systems being a mash up with both types of arts involved? Six players you can switch in and out? Probably using a modified X version of classes?

Alright, we got a town. Some nice streetlights, brick roads, and some architecture that isn't completely mechanical and austere. I'll take it!

Ethel appears to cut her hair at some point, Garnet style. I really want her to be a party member.

edit: From reading a translation, it appears this scene might be a flashback from when Ethel saved Noah, Lanz, and Eunie as kids. I like the shorter hair on her.

This confirms that the scene with young Noah seeing Earth in the sky is not the actual merging. Keves and Agnus were already set up with the tattoos (Ethel's is almost fully red here). My prediction: This Keves city is attacked by Agnus. The little kid versions of Noah, Lanz, and Eunie run for cover. In the middle of the chaos, time freezes for Noah and he has a vision which is the earth in the sky. This causes him to stop running and be distracted in the middle of the street. An Agnus mech locks its sights on him. Lanz always made a big deal of how tough he is but is suddenly frozen in place, too scared to help Noah. Ethel swoops in and saves him, snapping him out of his vision. This is a defining moment for Lanz and he hates how useless he was at saving Noah which would go on to make him the main protector of the group.

Last edited:
You can also see that the mark on Ethel is completely red, while in present time only the centre is.

Here's my theory: the mark doesn't appear at a certain age, but just happens at some point. You could go most of your life without getting it or get it while you're still young and when it happens, you have to fight to live. Would explain why some characters are older than others.

Also Ethel keeps getting better. I truly hopee we cn have her as a party member.

I'm surprised so many think Ethel will be a party member.

To me she seems to be someone we'll fight a few times early on in the game, then end up having to kill her or her "clock" runs out around that time. She'll be our tragic example of what happens to someone as they go through the entire process of losing her life as a soldier in this world.

I'm also thinking the cross marking everyone has is how you have a Blade. That mark is what allows you to use a Blade, and perhaps it's what cuts your lifespan short. Maybe having the ability to summon a Blade slowly saps away at your life.

Ethel is already iconic. Im dying to play this game! Im replaying 2 right now and I love it so much. The good thing is that 3 is looking 20 times more polished than 2. So exciting.

Alright, we got a town. Some nice streetlights, brick roads, and some architecture that isn't completely mechanical and austere. I'll take it!

Ethel appears to cut her hair at some point, Garnet style. I really want her to be a party member.

edit: From reading a translation, it appears this scene might be a flashback from when Ethel saved Noah, Lanz, and Eunie as kids. I like the shorter hair on her.

This confirms that the scene with young Noah seeing Earth in the sky is not the actual merging. Keves and Agnus were already set up with the tattoos (Ethel's is almost fully red here). My prediction: This Keves city is attacked by Agnus. The little kid versions of Noah, Lanz, and Eunie run for cover. In the middle of the chaos, time freezes for Noah and he has a vision which is the earth in the sky. This causes him to stop running and be distracted in the middle of the street. An Agnus mech locks its sights on him. Lanz always made a big deal of how tough he is but is suddenly frozen in place, too scared to help Noah. Ethel swoops in and saves him, snapping him out of his vision. This is a defining moment for Lanz and he hates how useless he was at saving Noah which would go on to make him the main protector of the group.

Seems like Noah lost one of his arms at some point, judging by the Iron Arm sequence. Maybe this is where that happened.

To me she seems to be someone we'll fight a few times early on in the game, then end up having to kill her or her "clock" runs out around that time. She'll be our tragic example of what happens to someone as they go through the entire process of losing her life as a soldier in this world.

I'm also thinking the cross marking everyone has is how you have a Blade. That mark is what allows you to use a Blade, and perhaps it's what cuts your lifespan short. Maybe having the ability to summon a Blade slowly saps away at your life.

As much as I'd love to have her as a team member, I agree it doesn't look likely. I also think she'll end up dying but not before realising the main team's identities and intentions and helping them escape or something.

Cammuravi will probably share the same fate. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them are the ones mentioned in the ESRB leak and end up killing themselves (although this would only make sense if they use each other's weapons) before their tattoo expires

Keves and Agnus were already set up with the tattoos (Ethel's is almost fully red here).
At this point I consider my theory about the amount of red on a tattoo indicating remaining lifespan to be basically confirmed.

Which would mean Ethel is very close to dying in the present

It's admittedly wishful thinking, but at least in Ethel's case she gives heavy Morag vibes (double swords, high ranking soldier, strict personality, uniform with waist cape, antagonistic towards the party, etc), and Morag was a character that Xenoblade 2 trailers always presented as an enemy and never even hinted at her joining the party.

Plus she has that line with Cammuravi in the flowchart describing their relationship as fated, kinda how Vandham describes the relationship between main characters: "you share a common destiny"

There is no indication that there will be anymore full fledged party members (with interlink and all that jazz) but if there are Ethel seems like a top candidate.

Babe wake up, Monopon just dropped a cutscene

It is still so crazy to me how Monolith manges to make cutscenes look this good running in REAL TIME on a switch?! Switch hardware. This looks better than 2 and that already look good and was a big step up from previous games.

Also I hope Ethel is playable.

There is an unknown High Entei there with Noah, Lanz, Eunie, and Riku, wonder who it is? Its not Zeon due to the different wings

She seems to be the please nerf swordman this time, like Dunban/Jin/etc, so it's no wonder people expect her playable (besides wanting to play as the badass, of course).

Maybe everyone is right and she is a reccuring enemy who dies early, but comes back as an Android and joins the party. We all know there will be a female Android at some point, after all.

I think the blonde off-seer in the reveal trailer might fulfill this role. When Noah and Mio first fuse and see each other's memories in the golden light, the blonde off-seer is the most re-occurring memory floating around, so they're obviously someone very important to Noah.

Of course, neither Ethel nor the blonde dying would have the same impact on the Agnus crew. So does Cammuravi need to kick the bucket too? Then Vandham seemingly dies since Noah and Mio play their flutes after the Wild Ride encounter. Surely we can't kill EVERY mentor character, that would just get predictable.

She has Dual Swords, we're getting her class somehow (is my hope, at least. Her title, Silvercoat, even sounds like a class name). One of the ways to do that is have her join the party, probably paired with Camurravi since they're already being paired in pre-release.

Though we could always just grab it right before she dies or something. Maybe she joins as a temp member for a bit before that. Or it'll be a DLC/NG+ class like the Torna members in XC2.

She has Dual Swords, we're getting her class somehow (is my hope, at least. Her title, Silvercoat, even sounds like a class name). One of the ways to do that is have her join the party, probably paired with Camurravi since they're already being paired in pre-release.

Though we could always just grab it right before she dies or something. Maybe she joins as a temp member for a bit before that. Or it'll be a DLC/NG+ class like the Torna members in XC2.
The duo part is honestly the biggest argument for it.

The party definitely comes in pairs in this game, Ethel and Cammuravi definitely feel like that

Seems like Noah lost one of his arms at some point, judging by the Iron Arm sequence. Maybe this is where that happened.

As much as I'd love to have her as a team member, I agree it doesn't look likely. I also think she'll end up dying but not before realising the main team's identities and intentions and helping them escape or something.

Cammuravi will probably share the same fate. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them are the ones mentioned in the ESRB leak and end up killing themselves (although this would only make sense if they use each other's weapons) before their tattoo expires
I do wonder how soldiers die when their time is up. Do they just drop dead? Dissolve into ether? Are they driven mad by that point and take their own life?

I do wonder if the red eye indicates some kind of madness or loss of self.

At this point I consider my theory about the amount of red on a tattoo indicating remaining lifespan to be basically confirmed.

Which would mean Ethel is very close to dying in the present

It's admittedly wishful thinking, but at least in Ethel's case she gives heavy Morag vibes (double swords, high ranking soldier, strict personality, uniform with waist cape, antagonistic towards the party, etc), and Morag was a character that Xenoblade 2 trailers always presented as an enemy and never even hinted at her joining the party.

Plus she has that line with Cammuravi in the flowchart describing their relationship as fated, kinda how Vandham describes the relationship between main characters: "you share a common destiny"

There is no indication that there will be anymore full fledged party members (with interlink and all that jazz) but if there are Ethel seems like a top candidate.
I see the Morag similarities, but Ethel still seems like more of an overt threat to the party. We're learning way more about Ethel than we ever did about Morag.

It just seems odd she's getting so much focus in official tweets. Unless there's some twist and she ends up being the protagonist partway through lol.

They're being very careful about what they've shown us so far. I highly doubt we've seen all the characters yet, especially if this is some big finale to an arc.

I think the blonde off-seer in the reveal trailer might fulfill this role. When Noah and Mio first fuse and see each other's memories in the golden light, the blonde off-seer is the most re-occurring memory floating around, so they're obviously someone very important to Noah.

Of course, neither Ethel nor the blonde dying would have the same impact on the Agnus crew. So does Cammuravi need to kick the bucket too? Then Vandham seemingly dies since Noah and Mio play their flutes after the Wild Ride encounter. Surely we can't kill EVERY mentor character, that would just get predictable.
The blonde guy is undoubtedly important, and is probably why we haven't seen much of him yet. Same with that other child with the hair covering his one eye.

I don't think they're going to kill off every mentor character, but they're going to need someone as an example of how the life cycle of a soldier branded with that tattoo works.

All of the stuff we've seen so far seems very front-loaded. So I think we're going to get a lot more people and situations in the second half of the game.

She could end up being a short-term party member before she dies. But with the way they've been describing the main party so far, I just don't think she'll be around long.

Last edited:
There's something about her face that I'm not keen on, but I can't put my finger on it
Her face did strike me as rather off looking in this screenshot posted last week:
FRaRuOTVUAAsnlp

I guess it's just really long eyelashes, but it almost looks like her eyes are going off her face. I think she looks good in the video posted last night though. Short hair really works for her.

The mech battle she has with Cammuvari isn't something likely to happen in the beginning so I think she'll at least make it to the halfway point of the story. I hear what Almadel is saying. They'll want to show characters die from the clock system and Vandham's death won't be clock related. But at the same time, both she and Cammuvari seem like perfect candidates for the usual shonen thing of enemies becoming allies and she gives such strong Morag vibes. Most of us just like her design though and just want her to join rather than fully expecting it.

I think there's a decent chance they'll both be 7th slotters. I would love if they both joined as a fourth ouroboros pair that you can swap two of the mains out for but that might be expecting too much. At the very least we should learn their classes. I 100% expect more than 6 classes. Ethel's class could be an attacker role but with zephyr-like agility and some evasion arts. She wouldn't have the innate tank protection aura or anything that inflicts target lock but could hold her ground as an off-tank.

The duo part is honestly the biggest argument for it.

The party definitely comes in pairs in this game, Ethel and Cammuravi definitely feel like that

So uh..... The stakes are a lot higher for whoever gets melia'd/nia'd this time.....

Her face did strike me as rather off looking in this screenshot posted last week:
FRaRuOTVUAAsnlp

I guess it's just really long eyelashes, but it almost looks like her eyes are going off her face. I think she looks good in the video posted last night though. Short hair really works for her.

The mech battle she has with Cammuvari isn't something likely to happen in the beginning so I think she'll at least make it to the halfway point of the story. I hear what Almadel is saying. They'll want to show characters die from the clock system and Vandham's death won't be clock related. But at the same time, both she and Cammuvari seem like perfect candidates for the usual shonen thing of enemies becoming allies and she gives such strong Morag vibes. Most of us just like her design though and just want her to join rather than fully expecting it.

I think there's a decent chance they'll both be 7th slotters. I would love if they both joined as a fourth ouroboros pair that you can swap two of the mains out for but that might be expecting too much. At the very least we should learn their classes. I 100% expect more than 6 classes. Ethel's class could be an attacker role but with zephyr-like agility and some evasion arts. She wouldn't have the innate tank protection aura or anything that inflicts target lock but could hold her ground as an off-tank.
it's that really dumb "eyelashes in front of the face" thing I see a lot in japan. not really a fan of it but I guess it's done to better emphasize the eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom