• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Xenoblade Chronicles 3 announced, launches September 2022 (no open spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's melia, one of the major protagonists from Xenoblade 1

Ahh I see, I never played any of the games but I knew what she originally looked like...this is totally different. It's not that I never wanted to play the other games but the character designs and the their outfit designs in this one looked really cool.

Also did people notice the other connection between Nia and Mio?

Nia = Nya (Japanese Cat sound)
Mio = Meow (English Cat sound)

Wooooooooooooow hahaha that's good.

I knew the Nya pun—it's hard to miss when she says nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah!! in battle—but Mio being meow flew right over my head.

Same here. Most of my gamer friends are JRPG fans and they still won't try Xenoblade. I feel like I've been shouting from the hilltops about this game forever. 😅
It's weird, man. I don't understand how close-minded Nintendo fans can be sometimes. Not intended to disrespect anyone here, but the amount of Nintendo fans I've come across who swear allegiance to Nintendo legacy IPs and therefore they won't even at least try Xenoblade is quite a lot.

I look at my mates Activity List for Switch and he's playing Ocarina of Time for the billionth time instead. Great game, but come on...

Last edited:
Wooooooooooooow hahaha that's good.

I knew the Nya pun—it's hard to miss when she says nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah!! in battle—but Mio being meow flew right over my head.
XC3: This character's name is Noah because it's a Biblical parallel and a callback to the codename of one of our earlier titles
Also XC3: This character's name is Mio because she's a cat

Looking into it further, I'm pretty sure that Ouroboros is actually referring to the party. Party members from both sides have the same kind of "meter half full" symbol on their weapons when they're with their respective armies, and then have the ouroboros-like one after striking out on their own.

cUEh79p.png
Interesting. It'd make sense for Melly to be antagonistic towards the party then if they are trying to upset the balance of the world by forming their own faction. Curious to see why they adopt the name Ouroboros. It likely signifies their goal to the break the endless cycle shown in XC1 and XC2 that seems to be gearing up for a third round in XC3. In this case, it'd be thematically cohesive to have them come from both the XC1 and XC2 races, as they are functionally trying to prevent the struggles the first two games depicted from reoccurring.

Interesting. It'd make sense for Melly to be antagonistic towards the party then if they are trying to upset the balance of the world by forming their own faction. Curious to see why they adopt the name Ouroboros. It likely signifies their goal to the break the endless cycle shown in XC1 and XC2 that seems to be gearing up for a third round in XC3. In this case, it'd be thematically cohesive to have them come from both the XC1 and XC2 races, as they are functionally trying to prevent the struggles the first two games depicted from reoccurring.
Technically Melia only comments that "Ouroboros abhor this world," so we don't know for sure how antagonistic she is just yet. Nia's line... well, let's wait for some additional context. =P

Re-listening to some of Vandham's dialogue, it could be that Ouroboros is a rebel organization that already exists and he belongs to, recruiting the party. Certainly sounds like he's the one to get them to team up and set off on their journey, anyway.

No overly-sexualised main character designs and (seemingly) no gacha nonsense are both very promising.

But I don't want to jump into the game having not finished Xenoblade 1 and 2.

Fuck.

What do?
Not sure about this one. I like the new designs, but there isn't much harm in Maybe one or two over sexualized characters. Throw a dude in too for good measure.

Not sure about this one. I like the new designs, but there isn't much harm in Maybe one or two over sexualized characters. Throw a dude in too for good measure.

I mean, you don't need to have over sexualized characters to have fun cute and even sexy characters.

Trying way too hard misses anything actually resembling sexy by a country mile anyways. We don't need the videogame design equivalent of homers makeup gun to have fun healthily sexy characters.

No overly-sexualised main character designs and (seemingly) no gacha nonsense are both very promising.

But I don't want to jump into the game having not finished Xenoblade 1 and 2.

Fuck.

What do?
You have 7 month until release, but there's also the potential of franchise fatigue, additionally when factoring in TTGC and FC, so I'd say if you want to play XC3, just do it. I assume "not finished" means you have at least started, so you own the games? Then just play them after. Perhaps XC3 would even make you want to revisit the other games?

I don't feel like going through the whole thread, so sorry if this was discussed, but what's the likelihood of Mio and High Entia girl being descendents, perhaps daughters, of Melia and Nia? Mio basically looks like Gormotti Nia, down to the Core Crystal. High Entia girl's brown hair could also indicate that she's the child of a mixed High Entia and a Homs. Dunban? lol Though on the other hand only mixed High Entia are left anyway, so her mother doesn't necessarily have to be Melia.

There's the whole black vs white theme going on and so far all the flutes also seem to come in those colours, with Noah and Mio potentially swapping theirs? Does that mean the actual threat could be gray? Or could gray be the protag group, as a sign of two sides having joined?

You have 7 month until release, but there's also the potential of franchise fatigue, additionally when factoring in TTGC and FC, so I'd say if you want to play XC3, just do it. I assume "not finished" means you have at least started, so you own the games? Then just play them after. Perhaps XC3 would even make you want to revisit the other games?

I don't feel like going through the whole thread, so sorry if this was discussed, but what's the likelihood of Mio and High Entia girl being descendents, perhaps daughters, of Melia and Nia? Mio basically looks like Gormotti Nia, down to the Core Crystal. High Entia girl's brown hair could also indicate that she's the child of a mixed High Entia and a Homs. Dunban? lol Though on the other hand only mixed High Entia are left anyway, so her mother doesn't necessarily have to be Melia.

There's the whole black vs white theme going on and so far all the flutes also seem to come in those colours, with Noah and Mio potentially swapping theirs? Does that mean the actual threat could be gray? Or could gray be the protag group, as a sign of two sides having joined?
It would make some sense to have "princesses" of a sort of both groups in the party. It's common enough in JRPGs to have a princess/prince type and Xenoblade is no different (Melia herself in 1 and Morag/Zeke in 2)

Though for parallel's sake it would make more sense for Noah to be a descendent of Melia, but I have no idea how the genetics work there and if they'd allow that.

Even if there are a bunch of fresh devs on the team, the Xeno games tend to lean really heavily on Takahashi's vision the same way Mario games used to lean on Miyamoto's. Plus it's not just Takahashi. If I'm not mistaken the lead world designer, lead battle systems designer, and a few others have been in more or less those same roles since Xenogears. No matter how many new people come in to build assets, textures, and code, having a consistent vision in the lead like that will probably go a long way towards retaining the same feel.
And like most places, when staff don't reprise their role they still have a team hierarchy. Like with Xenoblade 2 there were definitely people who stepped into new roles, but I bet a lot of them will have the same roles for 3.

It would make some sense to have "princesses" of a sort of both groups in the party. It's common enough in JRPGs to have a princess/prince type and Xenoblade is no different (Melia herself in 1 and Morag/Zeke in 2)

Though for parallel's sake it would make more sense for Noah to be a descendent of Melia, but I have no idea how the genetics work there and if they'd allow that.
Could be. I mean, anything is possible. It's all theory crafting and speculation at this point really. Though on a side note, having Melia and Zeke as examples of princess and prince characters respectively is kind of hilarious, since they're nothing alike. Melia is more traditionally princess-like, while Zeke is Zeke.
I actually only noticed it when I saw someone's artwork, but Noah's hairstyle reminds me of Pneuma. XC2 never said anything about romantic relations between Driver and Blade not being possible, right?

Noah gives a long, passionate speech about friendship to his friends and then turns around and starts cussing out the enemy
Mio: "I have finally realized that this conflict is pointless. We're all killing each other, spilling blood for nothing! This world must change!"
Noah:

I'm sure there will be a lot of plot twists, but a part of me is afraid they will give away too much in these trailers and we will end up guessing the plot correctly. I want to be surprised and at the same time I'm weak as fuck and I've already watched the trailer like 15 times lol. At the same time, the throwbacks are so obvious in this trailer that I also think it's a fake out. The plot wont be that obvious at the end.

I'm sure there will be a lot of plot twists, but a part of me is afraid they will give away too much in these trailers and we will end up guessing the plot correctly. I want to be surprised and at the same time I'm weak as fuck and I've already watched the trailer like 15 times lol. At the same time, the throwbacks are so obvious in this trailer that I also think it's a fake out. The plot wont be that obvious at the end.
People said the same with XB2 sooo, nothing to worried?
It just a tip of iceberg

It's weird, man. I don't understand how close-minded Nintendo fans can be sometimes. Not intended to disrespect anyone here, but the amount of Nintendo fans I've come across who swear allegiance to Nintendo legacy IPs and therefore they won't even at least try Xenoblade is quite a lot.

I look at my mates Activity List for Switch and he's playing Ocarina of Time for the billionth time instead. Great game, but come on...
There's perhaps a bit of franchise envy from some who see Xenoblade getting so much attention while other franchises stagnate, which adds to the general feelings of resentment among sections of the Nintendo fanbase. Arlo touched on it in his video summarising the Direct. He admits that, while he's happy for Xeno fans, he does get jealous it's had so many games on Switch while games like Pikmin 4 remain mere whispers.

I don't agree with him 100% as it's all different circumstances with Monolith being their own seperate entity and Nintendo having only so many resources for their own internal teams, but, much like the recent increase in Fire Emblem exposure (which may become an avalanche if rumours are to be believed) you can sympathise with fans of Donkey Kong, StarFox, Pikmin et al who currently are on slim pickings Switch-wise right now.

I feel like people don't give this franchise enough credit for just how good some of the cutscenes are. When that music kicks up with the cool anime shit happening I ascend. I still rewatch scenes from 1 and 2 a lot.
I'll be honest, back on Era, I prevented myself on making a thread on praising the cutscenes in the Xenoblade games and wanted to say it probably has one of the best if not the best animated cutscenes in the Jrpg genre, maybe even video games in general.

The fact Xenoblade 1 cutscenes still looks amazing shows how talented the team is.

There's perhaps a bit of franchise envy from some who see Xenoblade getting so much attention while other franchises stagnate, which adds to the general feelings of resentment among sections of the Nintendo fanbase. Arlo touched on it in his video summarising the Direct. He admits that, while he's happy for Xeno fans, he does get jealous it's had so many games on Switch while games like Pikmin 4 remain mere whispers.

I don't agree with him 100% as it's all different circumstances with Monolith being their own seperate entity and Nintendo having only so many resources for their own internal teams, but, much like the recent increase in Fire Emblem exposure (which may become an avalanche if rumours are to be believed) you can sympathise with fans of Donkey Kong, StarFox, Pikmin et al who currently are on slim pickings Switch-wise right now.
I'm imagining going back decades to tell my Gears/Saga playing self that someday people would be jealous of all the content I'm getting

Kill off the nopon and chus will take their place. Basic conservation of mascotology.

Anyways I figured out how to use the spoiler tags, which I'll need, because I definitely remember seeing someone say they didn't finish 2 in here.

Okay so, does everyone remember the conduit in xb2?

It was discovered one day in south Africa (irrc), found out to be a perpetual motion machine, made science and technology develop at a superlative breakneck stupid rapid pace, there was a war going on over it. Some dude accidentally pressed the dont press button on it.....

But uh, where did it go at the end of xb2? It just.... disappeared. While shulk had the power to create a new universe at that point, I don't think he has the power to outright destroy or make nonexistent a Zohar/conduit/monolith, considering that was literally what was giving him the power.

I think it was simply phase shifted somewhere else, to be some other universes problem. To be discovered some day in some other universes country, and then their science and technology would develop at break neck speeds the cycle starts again, just like when it was originally found in Africa.

Except now the chickens have started coming back home to roost in the shulkverse.
Klaus straight up says he's being punished by someone "above". That's probably just the upper domain the Zohar is from, the actual god of the universe. Like, biblical god, not man-made Klaus god. The Zohar most likely returned back to its dad. I hope they expand on that in this game

It is probably obvious and has already been discussed but I was noting the title of the three xenoblades on a graphic level. The first seems to refer to the ether and the High Entia

PS_NSwitch_XenobladeChroniclesDefinitiveEdition_PEGI.jpg

while in the second the flames of Pyra and Mithra are clearly seen.

H2x1_NSwitch_XenobladeChronicles2_image1600w.jpg

In the third there is a strange fade effect that should refer to this scene from the trailer and probably the role of the protagonists and the flute.
(From the official site Noah is also an “off-seer” who mourns for soldiers who’ve lost their lives on the battlefield and Mio is a soldier of Agnus and an off-seer like Noah.)

It is probably obvious and has already been discussed but I was noting the title of the three xenoblades on a graphic level. The first seems to refer to the ether and the High Entia

PS_NSwitch_XenobladeChroniclesDefinitiveEdition_PEGI.jpg

while in the second the flames of Pyra and Mithra are clearly seen.

H2x1_NSwitch_XenobladeChronicles2_image1600w.jpg

In the third there is a strange fade effect that should refer to this scene from the trailer and probably the role of the protagonists and the flute.
(From the official site Noah is also an “off-seer” who mourns for soldiers who’ve lost their lives on the battlefield and Mio is a soldier of Agnus and an off-seer like Noah.)

I'm interested in what the pattern on the 3 might represent. It is obvious with the one on the 2, so I guess there has to be a similar connection here.

Still can't get over how much better the character designs are despite the designer being the same. He really got a kick in the rear end it seems - or was sent to some anatomy classes :p . or was told to watch less smut

I really hope they wrap this universe up with this entry and start completely fresh with XC4. These games are 60-100hr long each as they are, making them all connected is intimidating to newcomers and increasingly limiting in appeal with every new release.

Personally speaking, I only got halfway through XC1 (back on 3DS) but I've finished XC2, and I'm already feeling slightly overwhelmed by the returning characters and context I'll miss in this game. I can only imagine what it's like for someone looking to jump in with XC3 and seeing every other comment here be under spoilers, it starts to become impenetrable.

This might be nitpicking, but why does it have to be the female character with the symbol on her chest, necessitating a window to make it visible? There might be some "logic" to it, I could imagine it being based on Chakra spots or something, but it's just immediately a "Of course it's there."

I really hope they wrap this universe up with this entry and start completely fresh with XC4. These games are 60-100hr long each as they are, making them all connected is intimidating to newcomers and increasingly limiting in appeal with every new release.

Personally speaking, I only got halfway through XC1 (back on 3DS) but I've finished XC2, and I'm already feeling slightly overwhelmed by the returning characters and context I'll miss in this game. I can only imagine what it's like for someone looking to jump in with XC3 and seeing every other comment here be under spoilers, it starts to become impenetrable.
TBH, I would not mind them giving Xenoblade a rest to try something different after 3, or them working on a sequel to X instead (never played X, so I don't know how much of a connection there is between it and the numbered entries).

We have had a lot of Xenoblade over the last 5 years. Good times.

So this year I have to do a NG+ of both XC1 and XC2. Luckily that will cut the play time quite a bit but oof :D.

Maybe it's the fan in me, but I can see bits of Sharla, Reyn (just listen to her!) and Melia in her. Maybe she's the daughter of Sharla & Reyn's child, and Melia herself (or Melia's child)? I'm also seeing Shulk, Fiora and Dunban in Noah, so he might be Shulk and Fiora's descendant. Characters from the Agnus side also show traits from several XC2 characters.

In his introduction message Takahashi stated that: "We believe the game will be enjoyable for both those who’ve played Xenoblade Chronicles or Xenoblade Chronicles 2, as well as those who will be playing a Xenoblade Chronicles game for the first time."

I was saving my NG+ replays for a stronger switch but I don't think it's happening anytime soon lol.

Exactly the same here. I guess I'll concede. Once I'm done with Kirby in april, it's time to finally NG+ XC2. I already copied my save to my bf's Switch in order not to lose my original playthrough.

Last edited:
Same here. Most of my gamer friends are JRPG fans and they still won't try Xenoblade. I feel like I've been shouting from the hilltops about this game forever. 😅
I play a lot of JRPGs and also have a fairly low tolerance for the level of anime tropes/excesses of stuff like the designs of Xenoblade 2 or Shining Resonance/Refrain. I don’t really blame any genre fans for looking at that stuff and deciding not to bother, it’s not like there aren’t other JRPGs to play instead if you want to avoid that stuff (although it’s near impossible to avoid it entirely), it seems perfectly understandable to me. If Fire Emblem Fates had led with ‘now the female lead is a maid class!’ rather than the trope being buried as a secondary character I’d have skipped that too. I did try XB1 and XBX though as at least that stuff wasn’t front-and-centre with the marketing and cut scenes.

If it’s down to ‘I don’t play any Nintendo franchise made after the N64’ that’s just silly though.

Last edited:
Have been listening to GVG's post-Direct Discussion and Derrick mentioned he is collaborating on an analysis video of the XBC3 trailer with Chuggaaconroy.

I have played both XC2 and Torna before playing XC1 and the connection wasn't something that bothered or damaged my experience. Even though they have it, it's not like it's mandatory to have played the other games. It felt much more like a bonus for people who played all games so far (and I expect 3 to be the same)

When do you think we'll get a new trailer ? The next Nintendo direct being in June, I'm sure we'll have something before, especially if the next direct features game like BOTW2, Bayonetta 3 and other surprises.

And they have to announce the collector's edition too.

When do you think we'll get a new trailer ? The next Nintendo direct being in June, I'm sure we'll have something before, especially if the next direct features game like BOTW2, Bayonetta 3 and other surprises.

And they have to announce the collector's edition too.
Since there’s no e3. I think it’s best we don’t go in thinking a direct will be in their usual June Time.

Because I got a feeling they might have it a bit later honestly. Maybe July or something. Just a feeling

I have played both XC2 and Torna before playing XC1 and the connection wasn't something that bothered or damaged my experience. Even though they have it, it's not like it's mandatory to have played the other games. It felt much more like a bonus for people who played all games so far (and I expect 3 to be the same)

3 doesn't really seem the same. They were deliberately coy about any inter game connections between 1-2 and they're largely in the bonus dlc areas.

Meanwhile the very first information we got about this game directly shows people that at least appearto be previous major party members from both games and they explicitly told us it'll be about the future of the world's from both games.

I don't doubt it'll be as standalone as they can make it, but like, say Neo the world ends with you, you won't be getting the full experience if you're not well aware of the previous games plots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom