• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Xbox to Present Developer_Direct, Returning on January 18

The Low for me is Avowed. The combat didn't look that great, which could be fine if the quests and exploration is well done; similar to Fallout: New Vegas. But if that is the case, I don't feel like they properly showcased it in this showing. As a person that heavily prefers RPGs...it says alot that I am more interested in Hellblade 2 and Indy than Avowed. Still could end up being a good game, but what they have shown has not inspired any level of excitement from me.

The High for me is Indiana Jones. The level design looks great, love Ford Harrison and Tony Todd, and showing me things like using the whip to distract enemies was hype. My only nitpick is that I wish the graphics and facial animations were better. The graphics is not bad by -any means but I feel like a technical showcase like Alan Wake 2 or Hellblade would be phenomenal for a game like this.

As an Xbox owner I can't say I was anything other than nonplussed by this. Very OK. Fine.

But jeez. Xbox Game Pass only getting 3/5 games at an Xbox showcase of primarily first party games feels weird. Like you kind of expect Xbox, proprietor and known lover of Xbox Game Pass revenue, would do more than... That.

Like, the two outliers are on PC Game Pass, and on Xbox, but not Game Pass, but it still means this presentation puts us months away from the next first party Game Pass game, months between that and the next one, and so on. With so many studios they're getting one whole first party title out in H1, unless I'm forgetting something.

This was not what Xbox needed, I don't think, even if I will play one or two of the games presented, compare it to a Nintendo Direct that can have twenty, thirty games and a shadow drop, and it felt a little thin on the meat.

Day one for Indy and Avowed but I could totally see one of them pushed to early 2025.

Great start by Xbox for 2024 but I doubt it’ll hold off the doom and gloom for long.
Well Senua is digital only apparently, so people are already dooming and glooming.

Some cool stuff in there, Avowed looks underwhelming but its not really in my wheelhouse of gaming, Hellblade looks cool, but yeah I can see people taking issue with the "shorter, narrative focused experience" they have put together when they were expecting Xbox's God Of War after years of anticipation, Ava is one of those games and looks fine, not sure why Trials Of Mana was there but sure, looks cool, and Indy looks fun.

Strong showing. 2024 looks poised to be another quality year for Xbox, especially if they can get Indy out for the holiday. They’re finally starting to build and maintain a bit of momentum, something they’ve desperately lacked for years now. Especially given that they’ve presumably got a couple more 2024 games under their belt still (Flight Sim, Towerborne, Contraband).

Still have to stick the landing, though. 2023 didn’t instill a ton of confidence in that regard.

As an Xbox owner I can't say I was anything other than nonplussed by this. Very OK. Fine.

But jeez. Xbox Game Pass only getting 3/5 games at an Xbox showcase of primarily first party games feels weird. Like you kind of expect Xbox, proprietor and known lover of Xbox Game Pass revenue, would do more than... That.

Like, the two outliers are on PC Game Pass, and on Xbox, but not Game Pass, but it still means this presentation puts us months away from the next first party Game Pass game, months between that and the next one, and so on. With so many studios they're getting one whole first party title out in H1, unless I'm forgetting something.

This was not what Xbox needed, I don't think, even if I will play one or two of the games presented, compare it to a Nintendo Direct that can have twenty, thirty games and a shadow drop, and it felt a little thin on the meat.

Them being the outliers...I cant see the issue
Senza, Avowed and Indy are three forst party big games coming to Xbox Gamepass day one
This was not a Gamepass showcase, so the MS developer universo can contemplate also PC games and third party not-gamepass games, yes.

That was a fun show. I'm looking forward to Xbox in 2024.

Avowed- That showing was much much much better than E3. Obsidion did a great job with showcasing combat and talking about dialogue. We will have to see if it hits 2024, but I am much more excited for this game than I was an hour ago.

Hellblade 2- Not much new here for me after seeing it in multiple shows. I'm glad that we finally have a release date. Now I just need to play through the first game......

Visions of Mana- Well it looks like that fabled fifth game came true for today. NGL, I will be waiting to play this on the inevitable Switch 2 port, but I am glad to see Microsoft continues to give Japanese games the spotlight on their system whenever possible.

Ara- I do not play strategy games nearly as often as I would like to, so I really loved what I saw here today. I'll be looking forward to trying this game when it launches.

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle- Ok, I will be taking the L on this one. I had written off this game for quite a while because I didn't think that it would be very exciting. Boy, was I wrong. It felt like a story that was part of the canon of Indiana Jones lore. Getting Harrison Ford's likeness was an awesome surprise. I'm not 100% sure about the decision to use first person for the majority of gameplay, but I am excited for the game none the less.

As for the show itself, I like how Microsoft sets it up. Every studio has multiple people talking about their game. They are up front in the camera. We get to see little snippets of games under construction, like the stunt folks in Indiana Jones. We even get little gaffs like Dave walking into the shot and Tod Howard stealing a prop. There is a fun, laid back attitude that fits right with these Developer Directs. Having these 1-2 times a year is great.

Now quickly for the 2024 schedule, I'm sure that other things will get announced/confirmed, but it seems like we currently have a lull between now and the Fall besides Hellblade 2.

May 21- Hellblade 2
Fall 2024- Ara
Fall 2024- Avowed
2024- Indiana Jones and the Great Circle

The only other first party stuff that I can think of possibly coming out before Fall is Towerborne and/or MS Flight Simulator 2024, right?

Strong showing. 2024 looks poised to be another quality year for Xbox, especially if they can get Indy out for the holiday. They’re finally starting to build and maintain a bit of momentum, something they’ve desperately lacked for years now. Especially given that they’ve presumably got a couple more 2024 games under their belt still (Flight Sim, Towerborne, Contraband).

Still have to stick the landing, though. 2023 didn’t instill a ton of confidence in that regard.
Hey, if they can get Flight Sim and Forza Horizon 6 out this year, it'll be hell of a year for my game playing!

Decent show. Avowed looked good. Probably would benefit from a longer presentation to show how the systems outside of combat worked. Indy looked ok. Hellblade 2 looked great visually. Vision of Mana was a nice suprise.

Especially given that they’ve presumably got a couple more 2024 games under their belt still (Flight Sim, Towerborne, Contraband).
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Towerborne, hope they manage to get it out this year.

Still looking forward to Avowed despite combat looking odd to me. World design looks like my jam, and Obsidian doesn't disappoint when it comes to RPG mechanics in my experience. It also has a pretty cool key art!

Avowed-1b5338d6c0265bad2c39.jpg

Speaking of key art, the Indy one really captures the essence of, well, Indy.

relic-media-key-art.webp

I'm kind of onboard with a first person Indiana Jones game and I'm feeling in the minority here. If it were the same game but strictly third person, would it not play out too similarly to Uncharted or Tomb Raider? Doing something to differentiate itself, and it still pulls back to show Indy's silhouette when the moment rises.

I think it has the chance to do something unique here and I'm hoping for the best that this turns into a stellar game for the studio.

Honestly, now that I've had some time to think about it... first person makes a ton of sense for an Indy game.

Looking back at the films, a significant amount of time in them is spent in small, cramped environments. Tombs, dungeons, castles, etc. Usually with him looking for clues, avoiding traps, and so on. Stuff that fundamentally doesn't work well when you've got a camera which needs a foot of leverage behind the character's back.

For an example of what I mean: Uncharted's puzzles are usually pretty great, but they almost always take place in these big, wide-open spaces, with puzzles that encompass a large physical amount of said spaces. Both being necessary to give the player enough room to move whilst having the player character in full view at all times. See below:

b8114275-uncharted-4-ship-wheel-2.jpg
793a9697-uncharted-4-cross-wheel-1.jpg

The few times where puzzles are more intimate - like those that involve Drake's journal - are ones that lock the player in place, and either move the camera very close or - unsurprisingly - move directly into first-person. They need to do so because, if they simply let you have free control, there's a big chance that the crucial puzzle piece will be blocked by Nathan Drake's ass.

Which, again, is fine for Uncharted... but this is Indiana Jones, and if they want to capture the types of puzzles, locations, and so on seen in those films, simply making everything 'bigger' won't work.

Take some of the most iconic scenes of "Indiana Jones figures out some specific shit about his environment," from the films:

Indiana-Jones_Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark_Tanis-dig-site_Egypt_Tozeur-Tunisia.jpg

indiana-jones-temple-of-doom-590x308.jpg

1*Cw6TLJdKUkDRFbDVTaLGiQ@2x.jpeg

(There are better examples in Temple of Doom, but I could not for the life of me find a good screenshot of them)

How do you do those if you're not involved in actively observing the environment around you for small, and specific 'puzzle pieces'? Of course there are ways to do so, but I'd argue that the best way to do so is by implementing a first-person camera. That way you can find those small details, and do this game's equivalent of the above (and many more) scenes.

Hell, you only need to look at the pioneer of 'controversial first-person moves', Metroid, to see this dichotomy on full display, and how it can work against a franchise's established vibes. Metroid Prime's environments are intimate, small, and very exploratory. The exact kind of feeling that the classical titles aimed to convey (titles that - again, unsurprisingly - were often very zoomed in in comparison to other 2D titles). Metroid Other M's environments are large, often detail-sparse, and relatively simple primarily because of its more traditional third-person perspective. Whilst part of that is because Other M wasn't exactly a great game, part of it does come down to the fact that third-person perspectives naturally represent a larger, less detail-oriented take on the environmental themes they wish to portray.

So, yeah. I'm actually on-board with the idea now, and I think those that aren't should - at the very least - think a bit about what the game might want to be trying to achieve, instead of simply thinking about what genre trends it should follow.

I'm kind of onboard with a first person Indiana Jones game and I'm feeling in the minority here. If it were the same game but strictly third person, would it not play out too similarly to Uncharted or Tomb Raider? Doing something to differentiate itself, and it still pulls back to show Indy's silhouette when the moment rises.

I think it has the chance to do something unique here and I'm hoping for the best that this turns into a stellar game for the studio.
I’m of two minds on it:
  1. I think the game looks great, and I might even say it was the right choice now that I’ve seen it.
  2. Microsoft has so so many first person games. I haven’t gotten over inXile’s next game shifting to first person. Hellblade 2 was a breath of fresh air really.
Overall great looking game in isolation. I think they’ll totally stick the landing.

Don't get me wrong, I think it still looks very good, I just personally would have preferred third person. I think already with the limited amount we've seen, it's doing a solid job of differentiating itself from Uncharted and Tomb Raider.
Still looking forward to Avowed despite combat looking odd to me. World design looks like my jam, and Obsidian doesn't disappoint when it comes to RPG mechanics in my experience. It also has a pretty cool key art!

Avowed-1b5338d6c0265bad2c39.jpg

Speaking of key art, the Indy one really captures the essence of, well, Indy.

relic-media-key-art.webp
You're right, these are both great

The Low for me is Avowed. The combat didn't look that great, which could be fine if the quests and exploration is well done; similar to Fallout: New Vegas. But if that is the case, I don't feel like they properly showcased it in this showing.

Probably was not the right format to show the game, a more meaty stand alone showcase works best to showcase all the intricacies of the "RPG" of the game.

Also, I agree with you on the combat. Not that I expected much, it's just... We saw so many different types of attacks and spells in the first game trailer. But somehow we're seeing less variety of attacks here, and they don't use any sort of funny combo/interaction either.

What's the point of saying that you can instantly how swap between weapon types on both hands if you don't show the cool shit you can do with it?
Honestly, so many games fail at this part. They have systems driven interactivity and somehow, the way you learn how cool all of that can be is when the game actually releases and you encounter one of those social media accounts that just post cool combat sequences in video format.

It's interesting how heavily Obsidian is seemingly leaning into being "Bethesda but colorful". The inspiration for both Outer Worlds and Avowed is obvious, but the artistic direction for both is so much livelier and distinct.

The combat looks pretty pathetic, but as long as the writing and exploration is strong it won't matter too much. After Starfield bungled so many things, Avowed being a return to form for that style of game would be a good win for Xbox. It doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, just needs to fill the shoes that Starfield wasn't able to for a lot of people.

Don't get me wrong, I think it still looks very good, I just personally would have preferred third person. I think already with the limited amount we've seen, it's doing a solid job of differentiating itself from Uncharted and Tomb Raider.

I'm not 100% on first person for Indiana Jones at the moment, but I think it will work out.

I think that Dev Direct was great. The format has been good since the debut last year and they just need software that's ready to market and showcase.

For me Avowed is the highlight. The dual wand spellcasting sold me lol. The melee gameplay reminds me of how weighty sword clashes can be in those Chivalry games. Indiana Jones game looks really good too but I'm not into that IP.

Ara Untold History looks good too but I'm not into Civilization games to tell what all is actually different or not.

Visions of Mana showing was a pleasant surprise and game me Xbox 360 vibes which is a good thing.

Indiana Jones I have no interest in the IP but the game does look like fun! Whipcracks in stealth sections is a funny concept to me for some reason.

and finally Hellblade 2 has a release date. Hope that is actually a good experience.

Indy seems good but I just think making it a first-person shooter of all things is a terrible decision. Yes, I know who the developers are! But I also know that part of the allure is that it is a game about Indiana Jones, and not being able to see Indy for a majority of the running time just seems dumb.

The new Wolfenstein games were pretty decent shooters. Looking forward to playing Indiana Jones on the Switch 2 sometime after 2025.

I honestly don’t know who expected Indiana to be third person. Did you just want another Uncharted game?

It’s going to blend first person action with the original adventure game style puzzle solving. This was always my expectation. Personally I thought it looked great though it’s VERY Bethesda looking.

Machinegames has only ever made first person games, why would they change that now? Wolfenstein had tons of Nazi punching, Indiana Jones is a perfect fit for them. And thankfully it's still using idTech so it'll scale extremely well like Doom and Wolfenstein did and run great. First person lets you have MUCH higher detail in basically everything because you have to see it up close to your character. It'll be fine.

We already had two 3rd person action Indy games on PS2, no one played them. They're also super clunky.

Hellblade 2 looks incredible and it being digital only doesn't really mean much when the first game was too for multiple years. Very happy they didn't stretch it out into some giant open epic. It looks visually spectacular.

Honestly pretty underwhelming didnt really stay my attention as most of the games they're doing seem to follow a similar dull realism style

Wish Obsidian would say a single thing anything about Outer Worlds 2 which was revealed before Avowed

The thing about Indiana Jones being first-person is also the thing about "why even make an Indiana Jones game" in that the Indy IP kind of sucks and no one cares about it other than Harrison Ford being really attractive, lol.

So making it first-person kind of goes even further to why it was a bad idea for Bethesda to give Disney a bunch of money for this license.

Machinegames has only ever made first person games, why would they change that now? Wolfenstein had tons of Nazi punching, Indiana Jones is a perfect fit for them. And thankfully it's still using idTech so it'll scale extremely well like Doom and Wolfenstein did and run great. First person lets you have MUCH higher detail in basically everything because you have to see it up close to your character. It'll be fine.
I get where this thinking comes from but it has never made much sense to me. Machinegames develops fast-paced FPS games where players mow down hoards of enemies that sometimes happen to be Nazis. Indiana Jones movies certainly have moments where Indy takes on a large number of enemies but he isn't usually mowing them down single handedly. They also aren't always Nazis! Not even half the time, even.

I would want an Indy game to prioritize traversal and puzzle solving above all else. The trailer shows some of both but the former is almost always awkward in first-person. It has been awkward in Machinegames previous work!

I think it's a bad fit based on very superficial reasoning, the kind you might expect from a boardroom. Contrast this with the Bond IP that was recently awarded to the literal best possible choice in I/O Interactive and it's hard not to be disappointed that this is what became of Indy.

I think the game will be fine, but I don't think it will be close to what it could have been.

Avowed looked pretty darn meh. I liked the lighting and the artstyle, but the faces are stiff and the combat looks, uh, bad. I thought the trailer last summer was hype, but this presentation is making me pump the brakes. It’s gonna be a wait-and-see game for me.

Hellblade II looks incredible. I really ought to play the first game.

Visions of Mana was a nice surprise, although the lack of a Game Pass announcement made me wonder why it was in this Direct. I’ve never played Mana, but it looked fun enough. Maybe I’ll try this one. Not on Xbox though, unless it’s on Game Pass.

I skipped the Civ-type game.

And finally, Indiana Jones. I’m not thrilled about the game being in first-person. It makes the game feel like a generic video game, almost like a Bioshock ripoff, and not like an Indiana Jones game. I donno. The stealth sections especially looked like they were ripped right out of Dishonored. The whole thing feels like it’s meant to be a VR game that’s sadly stuck in pancake mode. Ugh.

———

2 out of 5 games hit for me. That’s a letdown.

I get where this thinking comes from but it has never made much sense to me. Machinegames develops fast-paced FPS games where players mow down hoards of enemies that sometimes happen to be Nazis. Indiana Jones movies certainly have moments where Indy takes on a large number of enemies but he isn't usually mowing them down single handedly. They also aren't always Nazis! Not even half the time, even.

I would want an Indy game to prioritize traversal and puzzle solving above all else. The trailer shows some of both but the former is almost always awkward in first-person. It has been awkward in Machinegames previous work!

I think it's a bad fit based on very superficial reasoning, the kind you might expect from a boardroom. Contrast this with the Bond IP that was recently awarded to the literal best possible choice in I/O Interactive and it's hard not to be disappointed that this is what became of Indy.

I think the game will be fine, but I don't think it will be close to what it could have been.

That isn't really how the Wolfenstein games play though. There's a lot more stealth and slow-moving stuff and that's actually a huge part of New Colossus, pretty much all of Old Blood and the first half of New Order. If you're playing the games fast paced then idk you're probably dying a lot. Those games don't have Doom levels of enemy counts. I don't think it was ever awkward in their previous work at all and this feels like a perfect fit.

I have no idea why people are allergic to first person at this point. Genuinely baffled and it feels INCREDIBLY forced. We've had waves of people saying they're sick of 3rd person stuff like Uncharted, now this game isn't that, it plays using the tech and style that the developer is great at, but now we can't have that, it actually HAS to be the way people said they didn't want? Make up your mind.

I just feel like the reactions to AAA games at this point are so weirdly harsh and manufactured. There's no way people are this against half the stuff they say they are. Even just trying to tell people that I enjoy the newest Prince of Persia is met with jokes, constant disbelief that it could EVER be good, etc. Like what even is all that.

That isn't really how the Wolfenstein games play though. There's a lot more stealth and slow-moving stuff and that's actually a huge part of New Colossus, pretty much all of Old Blood and the first half of New Order. If you're playing the games fast paced then idk you're probably dying a lot. Those games don't have Doom levels of enemy counts. I don't think it was ever awkward in their previous work at all and this feels like a perfect fit.

I have no idea why people are allergic to first person at this point. Genuinely baffled and it feels INCREDIBLY forced. We've had waves of people saying they're sick of 3rd person stuff like Uncharted, now this game isn't that, it plays using the tech and style that the developer is great at, but now we can't have that, it actually HAS to be the way people said they didn't want? Make up your mind.

I just feel like the reactions to AAA games at this point are so weirdly harsh and manufactured. There's no way people are this against half the stuff they say they are. Even just trying to tell people that I enjoy the newest Prince of Persia is met with jokes, constant disbelief that it could EVER be good, etc. Like what even is all that.
I played all the new Wolfenstein! I know there are elements of stealth but I think it's disingenuous to say that it has a low enemy count. I mean, it's not DOOM, but it's still up there. The primary verb is "shoot". That shouldn't be the case for Indy!

Maybe the game will be awesome! It’s a good team (despite New Colossus being pretty awful). I just never played their output and thought "Hey, these folks should make an Indiana Jones game!"

As for your last bit, yeah, I guess? But I am actually against this decision and I think my reasoning is better than contrived, so I don't know why it's included!

Whipcracks in stealth sections is a funny concept to me for some reason.
it's so incredibly dumb when you really sit and think about it, whip-cracking from the shadows...but I love it so much and will 100% being doing that non-stop lol

Indiana Jones movies inspires Uncharted games
Uncharted games inspires Indiana Jones game

That's the real Great Circle
ummmm aren't you forgetting about somebody in this retelling of herstory?

tumblr_mtphc3ZMYH1s7fyufo1_r1_500.gifv

how has her star fallen this far??? wild lol

I really liked this presentation. Just deep dives with tons of gameplay and developer commentary. Really great stuff. All of the games looked good even if they weren't all my personal cup of tea.

This Indiana Jones game has been one of my most-anticipated on any platform since it was announced. I’ve played a lot of Indy games, and a handful of them are fine, but the only one I consider to be truly great is Fate of Atlantis. I’ve been starved for a second great Indy game.

The presentation today convinced me that I’ll probably love The Great Circle. But as a first-person game, I also think it’s probably not going to include some of the things about the movies that would best translate to games.

A key part of what makes Indiana Jones action feel like Indiana Jones specifically is the physicality of the character. Seeing that he’s actually having a hard time with some of the stuff he’s doing, laughing at how his circumstances keep getting worse, and seeing the “give me a break” reactions he has.

The personality of the character is vitally important, and not just in dialogue. A lot of that personality is communicated through physicality.

You’re naturally going to lose a lot of that physicality when you go with a first-person perspective.

Not to mention that jumping around on things is a big part of the action in those movies. We see Indy jumping from the wing of one plane to another in the presentation, which is a very Indy thing to do, and it looks cool in the video, but it doesn’t really evoke the feeling of the movies the way it would with a different perspective.

And that’s the thing. Two things can be true. A scene like that can be cool in its own right, while not necessarily evoking the feel of an Indiana Jones movie.

This is the whole GoldenEye thing. That was a great video game, but it didn’t actually evoke the feeling of watching Bond movies. It did get a lot of mileage out of taking specific imagery from the movie in its levels, but playing a first-person shooter never actually felt very Bond-like. It’s funny that so many Bond games that came after also went with the FPS direction. It’s only now that they’re doing something that’s presumably trying to get closer to what those movies actually are, by giving the license to the Hitman team.

That’s not to say that the first-person perspective doesn’t also lend itself to Indy in some ways. Using the whip in combat in first-person looks more satisfying than I can envision it being in third-person. And of course, throwing a solid punch is classic Indy, and the way throwing a punch is so in-your-face in first-person is great for the character. And as important as Indy himself is to those movies, the environments have their appeal too, and for having a more intimate experience with some tombs, you can’t beat a first-person perspective.

So again, I have very little doubt about this game being good. I don’t have or really want an Xbox, but I’m getting one specifically for this game (and on the off chance that Perfect Dark ever comes out and is actually decent). But I do also think there’s some missed potential with not going third-person.

This was a pretty good show, excited for most of them.

I'm kinda ehh on games based on licensed properties but a big fan of Machine Games so I'm rooting for Indy. If they manage to hit a good balance between the combat sections and the Myst-lite puzzle this could be really good. One thing that bothered me a bit was that the transitions where it switches between first and third person look a bit jarring right. Hopefully they're improved by launch.

Avowed basically being colourful Elder Scrolls is cool in my book, the aesthetic has always been one of the things that kept me from enjoying Beth's games. The way they showed this off was a little bit weird, though. Did they really not show a single piece of the UI or menus except for the dialogue boxes? Hopefully this isn't indicative of the game having a huge focus on combat over roleplaying/exploration. I guess we'll see more closer to release. Also, I guess I'll have to play Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 until then...

Quite surprised to see Visions of Mana during the show but it was more than welcome.
Seeing the father of the series on board (from Grezzo !) and still designing monsters is pretty cool.

Secret of Mana was my first entry into RPGs and the game made a huge impact on me as a kid. It's also the game that made me want to write stories and loving dragons.

Back
Top Bottom