• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Xbox to Present Developer_Direct, Returning on January 18

MissingNo.

Nothing beats a jelly-filled doughnut!
Pronouns
He/Him

Fans should tune in on Xbox channels at 12pm PT / 3pm ET / 8pm UK, January 18 to see all the latest on:

• Indiana Jones game: MachineGames, the award-winning studio behind the recent Wolfenstein series, will reveal their upcoming Indiana Jones game, an action-adventure that puts players in the leather jacket of the legendary archaeologist. Developer_Direct will showcase more than 10 minutes of game and developer insights, including details about the game’s setting and story, how fans will actually play as Indy, additional details from his next globe-trotting adventure, and the premiere of the first gameplay trailer.
  • Avowed: The team at Obsidian will share the first deep dive into the gameplay experience fans can expect in Avowed, their upcoming fantasy action RPG, set in the fantastical, vibrant Living Lands. Learn more about how Obsidian’s expertise in building worlds with deep themes, dynamic gameplay, and thoughtful reactivity come to life in Avowed where players will have agency to make choices to shape every step of their adventure.
  • Ara: History Untold: Hear from the leads at Oxide Games – a studio founded by veterans of the strategy genre and the creators behind classic strategy titles including Civilization V – as they unveil exclusive new gameplay and share more details about the inspiration, key features, and road ahead for their upcoming historical grand strategy game.
  • Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II: Ninja Theory take us behind the scenes at their studio in Cambridge to give us some insight on how they are crafting Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II. The team will speak to the ambition and meticulous care involved in creating Senua’s journey of survival.
Shortly after Developer_Direct has concluded, ZeniMax Online Studios will host The Elder Scrolls Online 2024 Global Reveal at 1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm UK, a standalone presentation where the development team will unveil the game’s next major Chapter, including the new zone, storyline, and other major features coming in the game’s biggest update this year.

Stay tuned to Xbox and Bethesda’s official social channels for more on Developer_Direct, coming on Thursday, January 18 at 12pm PT / 3pm ET / 8pm UK.

Indiana Jones is great

Avowed is even better

MS, bby, what the fuck are you doing with hellblade. jesus christ just show some long gameplay

A literal Indy direct, ohohoho.

Seems like a good lineup, I appreciate them actually telling us what to expect. I'll be tuning in.

Fans should tune in on Xbox channels at 12pm PT / 3pm ET / 8pm UK, January 18 to see all the latest on:

• Indiana Jones game: MachineGames, the award-winning studio behind the recent Wolfenstein series, will reveal their upcoming Indiana Jones game, an action-adventure that puts players in the leather jacket of the legendary archaeologist. Developer_Direct will showcase more than 10 minutes of game and developer insights, including details about the game’s setting and story, how fans will actually play as Indy, additional details from his next globe-trotting adventure, and the premiere of the first gameplay trailer.
  • Avowed: The team at Obsidian will share the first deep dive into the gameplay experience fans can expect in Avowed, their upcoming fantasy action RPG, set in the fantastical, vibrant Living Lands. Learn more about how Obsidian’s expertise in building worlds with deep themes, dynamic gameplay, and thoughtful reactivity come to life in Avowed where players will have agency to make choices to shape every step of their adventure.
  • Ara: History Untold: Hear from the leads at Oxide Games – a studio founded by veterans of the strategy genre and the creators behind classic strategy titles including Civilization V – as they unveil exclusive new gameplay and share more details about the inspiration, key features, and road ahead for their upcoming historical grand strategy game.
  • Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II: Ninja Theory take us behind the scenes at their studio in Cambridge to give us some insight on how they are crafting Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II. The team will speak to the ambition and meticulous care involved in creating Senua’s journey of survival.
Shortly after Developer_Direct has concluded, ZeniMax Online Studios will host The Elder Scrolls Online 2024 Global Reveal at 1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm UK, a standalone presentation where the development team will unveil the game’s next major Chapter, including the new zone, storyline, and other major features coming in the game’s biggest update this year.

Stay tuned to Xbox and Bethesda’s official social channels for more on Developer_Direct, coming on Thursday, January 18 at 12pm PT / 3pm ET / 8pm UK.

THAT sounds GREAT! can't wait

Really excited to see some Indiana Jones gameplay. Hopefully, it leans more on platforming than other similar titles.

I'm excited to get a deeper look at Avowed.

Indiana Jones could also be cool, I liked the Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Ara could be cool as well, I don't play a lot of 4X, but occasionally one will grab me.

Mostly just interested in Avowed. An Indiana Jones game doesn't really excite me and I haven't played the first Hellblade yet.

Microsoft might be actually cooking now. I have gotta say, I have had little interest in both the PS5 and Xbox lineup this generation sans Final Fantasy. But I do regret selling my Xbox Series S just a little bit. This is a great lineup of games.

Probably not going to learn it here but I am interested in the rights situation for Indiana Jones; like how does Gamepass work here?

Hopefully these are all 2024 games; MS really needs a blockbuster year.

2024 may be the best gaming year for me since 2017. Hoping Avowed is nice. And Hellblade better have continous gameplay and a date -_-

FWIW, Hi-Fi Rush was never mentioned in their 4-game lineup last year. So it’s not impossible that there’s more beyond these 4 games as well.

Should be a fun show.

I am once again asking for any information on Perfect Dark.

It was like a year ago? Or so that Crystal Dynamics started helping The Initiative with Perfect Dark. My personal and probaly flawed opinion is that The Initiative was never fully a studio and was mostly made up of managers and leads. The way The Initiative's creation was announced where it would assemble “world-class talent to create groundbreaking new game experiences.” never sounded like a studio that was done and ready to go and why I was always pessimistic about Perfect Dark...at least until Crystal Dynamics joined the mix. Perfect Dark probaly will be good now that CD is on board but is probaly 3+ years away.

Here's to hoping Indy can revitalize the Tomb Raider-like

I actually got a lot of enjoyment out of the newer Uncharted and TR games(even if I do feel like they've strayed quite a bit from the classic TR feel) but I would love to see a fresh take from somebody else. This genre is having loooong gaps these days

I don't even know what genre this Indy game is, watch it be nothing like TR whatsoever lol

Probably not going to learn it here but I am interested in the rights situation for Indiana Jones; like how does Gamepass work here?

Hopefully these are all 2024 games; MS really needs a blockbuster year.

Disney probably gets money for every download, but I doubt that it is that much. I don't think that Indiana Jones is a hot commodity, IP wise.

And I say that as someone who loves the first three films.

Disney probably gets money for every download, but I doubt that it is that much. I don't think that Indiana Jones is a hot commodity, IP wise.

It's a LucasFilm IP, thus it's apparently high-value according to Disney. Like... the first three films were good, but I don't get why Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was made, and even less why Dial of Destiny was allowed to release at all.

Disney is trying to "Marvel-tise" anything they get their hands on, and it's backfiring hilariously.

It's a LucasFilm IP, thus it's apparently high-value according to Disney. Like... the first three films were good, but I don't get why Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was made, and even less why Dial of Destiny was allowed to release at all.

Disney is trying to "Marvel-tise" anything they get their hands on, and it's backfiring hilariously.
I'm convinced that Dial of Destiny exists only because Harrison Ford asked for it as a condition to appear in the sequel trilogy. He always loved playing as Indiana Jones.

Flight sim 24, Indy, avowed, hellblade, ara, and a smaller game like tower borne would be a great first party line up for 2024. But given the state forza released in, I hope they are willing to push them if they aren’t ready

Last edited:
It was like a year ago? Or so that Crystal Dynamics started helping The Initiative with Perfect Dark. My personal and probaly flawed opinion is that The Initiative was never fully a studio and was mostly made up of managers and leads. The way The Initiative's creation was announced where it would assemble “world-class talent to create groundbreaking new game experiences.” never sounded like a studio that was done and ready to go and why I was always pessimistic about Perfect Dark...at least until Crystal Dynamics joined the mix. Perfect Dark probaly will be good now that CD is on board but is probaly 3+ years away.
Yeah, that perfect dark announcement seemed like way more of a “oh god we need help with this please come work with us” type of trailer than a trailer for the general public

I have to say i'm a bit hyped for the Indy game, i just hope it's more like Uncharted and not some open world thing.

A wide-linear structure like Lost Legacy would be fine, but i would prefer even more linear still.

Also they are going to announce and stealth drop Lost Odyssey 2 for sure lesssgoooo

Wait is Dial of Destiny considered bad? It wasn’t amazing or anything but I enjoyed it fine. Harrison Ford is obviously super old but I thought he did pretty good for an athletic character.

Wait is Dial of Destiny considered bad? It wasn’t amazing or anything but I enjoyed it fine. Harrison Ford is obviously super old but I thought he did pretty good for an athletic character.
I found it pretty damn terrible overall. For as silly as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was, it didn't make me retroactively question if all other films in the series were bad. Dial of Destiny is genuinely one of my least favorite films of last year, it's abominable.

Xbox is doomed.

We are so back.

Really excited for Avowed, Indy, and Hellblade. I hope Indy is essentially first-person Uncharted/Tomb Raider.

Also, I thought Dial of Destiny was decent and had a nice ending.

If Indiana Jones has to be like Uncharted, then let’s hope it takes the platforming and puzzle elements from that series and doesn’t turn Indy into a mass murderer like Nate Drake.

if Indy ends up being an Uncharted clone with matching piss poor platforming mechanics I'm gonna cry

it's Machine Games tho they're great devs. they've put out banging Wolfenstein games for close to 10 years now. mix of that and some non-intrusive platforming sounds good to me.

Really excited to see some Indiana Jones gameplay. Hopefully, it leans more on platforming than other similar titles.
My major hope is that it leans heavily into puzzles and exploration. I'm not saying "Make it classic Resident Evil, but toss the survival horror aspect and replace the Zombies with Nazis", but – wait a minute, that doesn't sound half bad, I'd love that.

It's way more likely it ends up being kind of similar to Uncharted, but we'll see soon enough.

Indy aside, I'm also very excited for that Avowed deep dive. I liked Hellblade well enough to look forward to the sequel as well. And while I won't expect a shadow drop, they did have one last year with Hi-Fi Rush, so who knows.

Ara probably won't be for me since I fell off the 4X train a while back, but that's okay. The year is starting to look packed enough already for my tastes.

This is probably the most excited/interested I’ve been in an Xbox XS showcase since its reveal. That’s a solid lineup of games there.

I hope Indy especially looks good. A well done adventure game is exactly what Xbox needs right now.

When the contract was fully signed, Disney was making Dial of Destiny the highest budget movie of all time so idk.

The Disney Xbox contracts would be really interesting to look at as I’m not sure how Disney will calculate revenue from Game Pass.

This is a pretty strong lineup even if I’m a bit iffy on Avowed after its re-reveal. Finally feels like a good year for Xbox. Hoping for a very puzzle-and-riddle-filled Indy and much less focus on combat.

Back
Top Bottom