• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox XBox Series Mid-gen refresh leaks

Day one on that new controller. Hardware redesigns don't do much for me considering I already have a Series X and a Series S. I'll probably give my Series S to a nephew and get the Series X redesign if I'm feeling it.
Controller sounds promising, I'll just sit on my Series X, no real benefit from refresh.

I wonder what effect this will have in consumers opting to not buy an Xbox until this thing comes out now.

This is such a shitshow for them, man.

Microsoft going all digital thanks to offering gamepass makes sense even if I find it tragic. Despite being a mostly physical gamer, I bought a series S exclusively for gamepass and cheap digital games.

I wonder what effect this will have in consumers opting to not buy an Xbox until this thing comes out now.

This is such a shitshow for them, man.
Considering it's not a power increase and is effectively the same hardware with a different look, it's not like you're losing anything by buying an XSX now. Hell you're arguably getting the better hardware due to the disc drive.

Considering it's not a power increase and is effectively the same hardware with a different look, it's not like you're losing anything by buying an XSX now. Hell you're arguably getting the better hardware due to the disc drive.
Disc drive = "not adorable".

Somebody really screwed up their redactions. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit here between this and the software schedule leak.

the southbridge on the current x is on its own board. the smaller size and sustainability blurb make me think that this thing would have one motherboard

no idea how they'd put that thing together in a cylinder though. maybe it'd be built even more like the 2013 mac pro?

No thread for the Xbox Series successor in 2028? Can we talk about it in here?

Because ... potentially switching to ARM is big.

For those unaware, that's the tech base Nintendo's been using in the Switch.

And that would potentially make MS free to go with nVidia instead of AMD.
Imagine if Microsoft does a unified Home and Handheld ecosystem. Nvidia having Microsoft gaming as a client with TWO consoles?

NVIDIA GO VROOM

Sold separately disk drive.

But my question is still... does Sebile and Sebile Elite have gyro?

So far all I've seen is "accelerometers".
I hope they do sell a disk drive separately, I'd love to have one for my Series S lol.

The only reason I bought it is because I got it for $150 through Verizon, otherwise I would have probably gone for a Series X, or more realistically just played Starfield on PC.

I've fallen in love with the backwards compatibility though, and I'd love to revisit some old 360 favorites that aren't available digitally.

I hope they do sell a disk drive separately, I'd love to have one for my Series S lol.

The only reason I bought it is because I got it for $150 through Verizon, otherwise I would have probably gone for a Series X, or more realistically just played Starfield on PC.

I've fallen in love with the backwards compatibility though, and I'd love to revisit some old 360 favorites that aren't available digitally.
I still can hardly believe my original 360 copy of Orange Box Just Works™️ on my Series X.

What if Microsoft only agrees to put Minecraft on digital systems. Will that make Nintendo go digital? I'm afraid Fami.
It wont make Nintendo go all digital

But when 2 out of 3 consoles, plus PC, plus movies, music, etc are all Digital, most of the average consumer just wont bother with physical for Nintendo (Especially given it's a handheld so you have your entire library with you on the go)

That's what'll makes Nintendo go all digital. For better or worse, majority rules and consumers in almost every industry have decided that the cons of All Digital are not worth sacrificing the Pros

Today's leaks are the biggest I've ever seen in the gaming industry. Refresh console, next gen plans with release year and some details, new controller, multiple unannounced AAA games with release windows and acquisition ideas.....

In any case, I hate the concept of all digital systems. So zero interest there.

Genuinely ridiculous it took them so long to throw in a gyro in their controllers. I've always suspected the Xbox pad's lack of gyro was the top reason why devs still haven't been adding motion aiming as an option for their games. Hopefully now that it'll be a standard for the industry going forward, we start seeing more games implementing it.

Right now it looks like these leaks weren't the FTC's fault, and were an own-goal by somebody at Microsoft.

Somebody is having a really bad day today.

I would trade the entirety of this intensely boring Xbox leak for one unredacted line of "we expect Nintendo's next generation hardware to launch in QX 2024."

couldn't it have been a clerk from the court who screwed up?
Yeah, that's my guess. The documents are all plaintiff exhibits (PX), so it was the FTC submitting them to the court, not Microsoft. But based on what the "outer" document was and the way the attachments are organized, it looks like this was all material that was being managed internally by the court, and they may have accidentally included attachments when combining files or generating excerpts from the testimony.

At least, I think the likelihood goes court > FTC > Microsoft. The documents are Microsoft's property, so everyone seems to be blaming them, but they're plaintiff exhibits, not defendant exhibits (RX). The plaintiff (FTC) obtained them from the defendant (Microsoft) and submitted them to the court as exhibits.

Accelerometer =/= gyros. Everything in the world has a gyroscope. Why after all this time Xbox still doesn't have any is beyond perplexing.

The biggest news to me is that they're adding gyro to the Xbox controllers finally. Though they only mention an accelerometer and not a gyroscope. I assume that it will have both, because it'd be stupid to have one but not the other.
The actual biggest hope for me though is twofold: that finally having gyro parity across consoles means that gyro-aiming becomes popularized; and finally adding gyro to XInput. C'mon, they had it for DirectInput, why not XInput?

Having gyro is a good addition.
Well, that's not gonna do much to make it standard in Xbox games, since not all users even have gyro, but I won't complain about it finally being a standard feature across every major gaming control-
It just says accelerometer, not gyro.
Life is meaningless, we're all just specks in an endless void

This is indeed the best thing to come out of the Activision acquisition.

I saw in one of these that the next Xbox system won't support physical games at all? Also the mid-gen refresh is digital only lol.
This gen might be the last one for physical games after all. Well, besides Nintendo I guess.
Nintendo has managed to not just retain physical games for this long, but physical games that don't need to install to storage. I wonder if they can keep that up for their next gen hardware.

Nintendo has managed to not just retain physical games for this long, but physical games that don't need to install to storage. I wonder if they can keep that up for their next gen hardware.
Based on what we think we know about their storage technology, yes.

this leak is nuts. you don’t see stuff like this everyday. MS must be fuming.

also @Barely Able I know this is super petty of me, but the typo in the thread title is driving me bats
Is it my capital “B”? Shows how much I pay attention because I thought it was supposed to be like that. That’s how I always spell it because it’s missing a hyphen that should be there.

Mid-gen refresh, so not an XSX Pro?

I'm not opposed to it, means the original XSX might get a price drop so I can nab one with a disc drive

So, even though all the documents in question were all FTC exhibits, evidently Microsoft's lawyers are the ones who accidentally included the unwanted attachments during document aggregation in the final redaction/sealing procedure before submitting them to the court.

Although, just because Microsoft aggregated them and sent the link, doesn't necessarily mean they included the attachments.

Not a big fan of the design but I'll probably upgrade for the extra storage and because the HDMI port on my current Series X is kind of wonky.

Is it my capital “B”? Shows how much I pay attention because I thought it was supposed to be like that. That’s how I always spell it because it’s missing a hyphen that should be there.
lol yeah, it’s the capital B. The official branding is indeed “Xbox” 😅

Shame it's not going to be released this year, it's kinda cute lol But I think I can wait for it, my S gets a lot of use and I have a PS5 in case a game don't perform very well on the S or it's not available in Xbox.

So the controller upgrades are aimed to compete with Sony in their adaptive triggers and speaker features? If so I will have even less use for PS5 hopefully.

Yes, it will still be.
If in 5 years it's 199.99 with a trial of Game Pass, yeah, it'll still absolutely be THE deal in gaming, but Nintendo IS racing in from behind. If what we know about their next gen console comes to fruition and they manage to make a 149.99 home console only, or 199.99 lite variation, it would nip at the heels.

If Expansion Pack goes the way it seems to, and evolves into "Nintendo Game Pass", even without day one releases, a 149.99-199.99 device with almost every first party game from NES through Wii, and a selection of Wii I, Switch and Switch 2 games, all for an affordable monthly price, that would bite the shins.

What Series S likely always will have is All Access, Nintendo will take years to mature NSO into a real Game Pass parallel and even longer to integrate it into hardware sales and financing. Xbox has been doing it for years already.

Yeah, that's what I'm really curious about. Game sizes will increase a lot for the next system, which means they either use bigger size carts or start requiring downloads to play.

Would be funny if it turns out they're swapping the disc drive from the X to S, making it the ultimate console for the frugal gamer who scouts for cheap ass physical sales and can't yet invest in massive storage for a big digital library.

Yeah, that's what I'm really curious about. Game sizes will increase a lot for the next system, which means they either use bigger size carts or start requiring downloads to play.
My thought was more on storage speeds, which I believe is part of what @LiC was also hinting at. The current consoles made leaps in loading speeds that reasonably cost effective physical media may not be able to keep up with.

But rumors seem to suggest they went with something more impressive this time around.

It just says accelerometer, not gyro. I think Wario64 misinterpreted (or an Era poster he read did).

A gif showing a man smashing his keyboard with his fist. In anger, he causes his second monitor to topple and keys to fly out of the keyboard.

One day Microsoft will join us in 2023.

Back
Top Bottom