• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | Featuring Lu Bu and the Cao Cao Crew

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
XQ84aDd.gif

Developed by
Team Ninja

Published by
Koei Tecmo

Available
March 3rd, 2023

For
PC (Steam & Windows Store)
Playstation 4 & 5
Xbox One & Series X|S
(+ Game Pass for Console, PC & Cloud)

~Demo available on all platforms until March 26th~

PZqgvwj.gif

What is Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty?
It’s a tough action game from Team Ninja, developers of Nioh and Nioh 2.

What’s it about?
Set in China during the Yellow Turban Rebellion, Wo Long presents the Late Han Dynasty period as if all of its folklore were real. Powerful demons and wizardry permeate the country. Team up with and face off against fantastical renditions of figures from Chinese history as you unearth the sinister secrets of the Ultimate Elixir, said to make those who imbibe it immortal.

What do you do in it?
You fight with weapons and move sets modelled after traditional Chinese martial arts! To that end, there is a large emphasis on deflecting attacks and using your opponent’s momentum against them. Different weapon types have different martial arts to use. Numerous types of elemental and support magic can be employed. Spirit can be hoarded to unleash your Divine Beast, which can dish out a potent attack or buff you and your allies. There is a lot going on, so be sure to take your time and try out all of the tools in your arsenal! You’ll need ‘em.

Is there online?
Yep! You can summon other players for help in your game or invade another player’s world to try and ruin their run for a reward. You monster! If you’re playing offline, don’t worry (or do): AI companions and invaders will make sure you don’t miss out on any fun.

nPj5ghP.gif

I am starting out and struggling! Can I get a few pointers?
Sure! I’m no expert, certainly. But here are some basics to keep in mind as you get your footing:
  • Regular attacks build up spirit, which is effectively your posture bar and what you use to power anything but a basic attack.
  • Spirit attacks, martial arts and spells can be very handy but cost spirit to use. This can often push your spirit/posture into deficit. Letting it bottom out will leave you stunned and unable to defend yourself for a few moments. As you might imagine, this is extremely bad news.
  • Conversely, bottoming out an enemy’s spirit will stun them. Move in and use a spirit attack before they recover to land a Fatal Strike and deal some heavy (not necessarily fatal!) damage.
  • You can sprint as much as you want. Even when you can’t outrun an attack completely, sprinting away from it gives you that much more time to prepare and time out a deflection!
  • I’m sure there will be exceptions but it’s worth noting that nearly any attack can be deflected. Even when a boss is five times your size and the impact from its attack looks like it would obliterate you, try deflecting!

STORY TRAILER

LAUNCH TRAILER

Thanks for the ST. Good stuff. Looking forward to digging in with yall soon.

Reviews are in and they're looking good! Here's a sample:

Gamespot [8/10]
"Wo Long has stylish, parry-heavy combat and a more approachable challenge than most Souls-like games, but difficulty spikes may prove to be a barrier."

PC Gamer [89%]
"Team Ninja has really managed to push the envelope, and lovers of Wuxia cinema and action RPGs had best not miss this one."

Eurogamer [Recommended]
"Team Ninja evolves Nioh's formula in a Three Kingdoms-era action RPG where allies, flags, and stealth make its brutal challenges more manageable than ever."

Polygon [Recommended]
"With its intricate combat system and an equally evocative setting, Wo Long is a journey worth embarking on — even if it means devoting three more hours to your next boss fight."

Game Informer [8.75/10]
"While I wish its back stretch was either pared down or had a wider variety of foes, this is a rare title that induces trance-like focus and euphoric moments of victory."

Normally this should belong in the demo thread, but i don't wanna bump that one anymore now that this thread exists.

Anyway ... i couldn't let that "defeat" stay on me, re-dled the demo and tried it again. I, a veteran of Soulsborne since the OG Demons Souls PS3, unable to beat a boss ... the FIRST ONE even. Couldn't let that happen.

Re-dl'ed the demo, and i beat him this time. Did i get better? No. Did i play different (trying to parry as much as possible)? No.
Wanna know what made he difference?

Attack RNG. Boss made this easy-to-parry long range arm attack three times in a row where a parry nearly insta-stuns him for the fatal blow.

Well, nice i guess? Went on and played the second level, incedibly easy. Died one time to a big demon solider, but not because the enemy was better, because i thought i would automatically fall down a ledge to a more open level part to better fight it by just walking of said ledge.
But it turns out you have to jump down ... soldier thing crit me during that moment.

Boss and ... mini-boss(?) ... or halfway boss(?) (the big monkey thing) where laughably easy, too. But hey, these two also give your character room to breath, recollect and ... gasp ... actually heal up unlike the first one.

Gotta say, if your first boss is somewhat dependable on attack move RNG on how easy or hard it is to beat, you're absolutely not leaving a good impression on players.

Still not getting it this week. But i might keep an eye on it when it gets a deep discount.

But i don't wanna be a debbie downer, i wish everyone who gets this day one (or has it due to street date breaks) a good time and much fun.

Okay, I made this thread a while back:

I suspect we'll be using this one going forward?

Oh hell I forgot it unlocks early on NZ Xbox! I'm going to play till my PS5 disc arrives and Steam code unlocks.
Oh yeah. Thank you for reminding me this is a thing on Xbox. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to make use of it…until today!

Even though I kinda soured on this because of the demo all acting weird, still interested in this. Xbox One X though, with some horrible loading times haha!

I'm guessing that's a "yes."

"OT ACCOMPLISHED"

While the game is definitely much more "streamlined" compared to Nioh, I've been really enjoying the depth the game does have, even in the demo. Speaking of the demo, it seems like everything carries over, so by all means, keep on amassing more qi and gear that can help you out, as the game will only get tougher!

Some other tips that can help, in addition to what's been listed:

1) Don't neglect the jumping and running quick attacks you can do with your weapons. For example, the hammer's quick string ground combo starts out pretty slow. But its jump quick attack is very fast, hits very hard and swings in a wide arc. This makes it a viable option for starting combos, or just spamming if you're being ganged up on.

2) Much like Nioh, proper usage of elements and elemental wizardry can play a critical role in making your life easier. Be sure to check in with the effects and see how they can be of use to you. Some enemies are even weaker to some elements and you can exploit those weaknesses to your benefit. But new to Wo Long is how each of the elements have a direct counter that can overpower it. For example, "Wood beats Earth". After you see how a lightning bolt can completely shut down a boulder projectile a pissed off demon monkey throws your way, you'll get an idea just how useful this type of thing can be!

And for a real good time, poison can apparently REALLY mess up a poor sap's day...

3) Once you've gotten pretty proficient at deflecting, you'll want to start looping in the weapon-switch variant you can pull off with (assuming PS5 controls) R1+O. This version gives you even more spirit (and can even save you if you're critically low on spirit), adds in a hit as you switch between your weapons and, in general, plays well to a much more offensive style of play. After all, because the switch removes all negative spirit, there's nothing stopping you from spamming spells and martial arts, as long as you monitor your spirit and switch your weapons accordingly.

Just don't try to weapon-switch deflect on moves that have multi-hits or are a part of an enemy's combo string...

4) For my last tip, I'll share another goodie discovered on the Wo Long subreddit. If you have an AI partner with you, you can have them activate their special martial arts with (assuming PS5 controls) R1+D-pad Down. Costs some of your own spirit, but again, can be a very useful thing to keep the pressure on the opposition with a coordinated attack. And so long as you have to grind your affinity with your allies in order to get bonuses like Zhao Yun's armor set and weapon, it keeps them useful.

Last edited:
So what’s the etiquette on putting your kid to bed four hours early so you can play Wo Long? Asking for a friend
Not sure how young the kid is, but there's a romance of the three kingdoms primary school age version that might help get things started as you prep for taking on Zhang Liang

42743472.jpg

I suspect I don't have time to jump in right now, but I'm looking forward to when I do get a chance to check this out on Gamepass.

Will absolutely check this out once I renew my Game Pass subscription. Could be a while, since I got my hands full already.

Can't wait to dive in tomorrow! Been a while since I got a good Nioh-ish fix. And the reviews are looking pretty good, about where I'd expect, a bit lower than Nioh 2 but not bad.

sure, that's a pre-release thread

Sounds like from the reviews that for those who had a rough time with the first boss, that's a pretty inconsistently high difficulty spike and the game is much easier for a while after that. To the point that several reviews talked about how it could be a problem that the first boss is that hard as it will put people off getting further into the game when they'd be having more fun and it'd be less frustrating.

On the plus side, the demo has the first two levels of the game and it carries over to the main game, so if you're on the fence you can always get through the first boss and then get the game after that if you want!

Played the demo just before, just got to the second area (PS5). It's a damn good demo and sold me on the game. Really enjoyable first boss battle that didn't frustrate at all. The mechanics clicked well for me.
Then again, I did love Nioh 2 (the closest to a modern day take on Onimusha I'm ever going to get tbh).

Had to take a quick break to make this:
413uAwH.gif

Reflecting those magic orbs has been a definite highlight for me so far!

Now I'm here, an assuredly chill hangout with no chance of nightmare-inducing horrors living within:
ODZWQyK.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I wonder if they let us upgrade from game pass to deluxe like Forza did? I would like to get the OST and artbook as well.

Hey, what does "Wo Long" mean? My first instinct is that it's meant to be something like "I am the dragon" but in Mandarin that sentence would be caveman-speak, "me dragon," so it can't be that

Hey, what does "Wo Long" mean? My first instinct is that it's meant to be something like "I am the dragon" but in Mandarin that sentence would be caveman-speak, "me dragon," so it can't be that
It means "Crouching Dragon" according to the marketing material!

EDIT - From the Steam description:
"Wo Long refers to a crouching dragon, and also refers to a hero or person of greatness who is not yet known."

Finished up Aoye and I'm calling it there for now! Meant to move around to a couple games tonight but just couldn't put this down. Until tomorrow night...

SrGfLl7.gif

"Wo Long refers to a crouching dragon, and also refers to a hero or person of greatness who is not yet known."
Thanks, this was bugging the hell out of me

Finished up Aoye and I'm calling it there for now! Meant to move around to a couple games tonight but just couldn't put this down. Until tomorrow night...

SrGfLl7.gif
This looks eerily similar to what happens when I post "Fire Emblem is bigger than Metroid"

Glad you're enjoying it!

The funny thing is that "Wo Long" (Sleeping Dragon) is also a moniker that refers to Kongming, aka Zhuge Liang, the famous strategist that Liu Bei of Shu reportedly had to go visit multiple times before he would join him.

That said, even if this game focuses on the early part of the 3K period, it's still interesting that we haven't seen ol' Kongming yet.

Unless........~?

The funny thing is that "Wo Long" (Sleeping Dragon) is also a moniker that refers to Kongming, aka Zhuge Liang, the famous strategist that Liu Bei of Shu reportedly had to go visit multiple times before he would join him.

That said, even if this game focuses on the early part of the 3K period, it's still interesting that we haven't seen ol' Kongming yet.

Unless........~?
Zhuge if true

I’ve always wanted to say that

More seriously, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there’s some weird time shenanigans or something in this game. After Nioh 2 had us all convinced it was just a prequel and then it actually became a legit sequel in the very last area of the game pretty much anything is possible.

How's character customization in this game? One of the things that kind of drew me in abotu Nioh 2 (as a fan of Ninja Gaiden about twenty years back) is the action, of course, but also being able to make your character look like any sort of person you wanted? That's neat. Can I do that here?

How's character customization in this game? One of the things that kind of drew me in abotu Nioh 2 (as a fan of Ninja Gaiden about twenty years back) is the action, of course, but also being able to make your character look like any sort of person you wanted? That's neat. Can I do that here?
I’m not a character creator type person but there are a ton of options to mess with if you’re inclined to! Sliders galore

More seriously, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there’s some weird time shenanigans or something in this game. After Nioh 2 had us all convinced it was just a prequel and then it actually became a legit sequel in the very last area of the game pretty much anything is possible.
Indeed. I've also gotten to like the theory that nutty old Taoist is possibly Xu Fu, the seeker of immortality and the first Qin Emperor's alchemist.

Wo Long being Team Ninja's own xianxia/cultivation epic of their own making, I'm more than ready to see what else they got in store.

Btw. if the game reaches a ST2 one way or another, i propose this subtitle:

"From Nioh to Nǐ hǎo"

It's more or less the same creator from Nioh 2.

Skipped all the demos and betas and got like 3~ hours into it tonight. Mostly positive so far, not really into the Morale system very much so hope it grows on me.

Big Souls/Nioh fan and struggled so badly on the first boss. Once I realised I could still hold block during parries, I nailed the boss on the next try. The next 3 bosses have been a breeze.

Love the setting and soundtrack also. Pleasantly surprised given the lack of hype surrounding the game (my own included).

Enjoying this quite a bit so far, although I’m not a huge fan of so many NPC allies, they almost mess me up more than help. Also interesting that the first boss is the same, but the original demo level is actually level three.

Played just a little today and hope to get more in tonight. Spent that time in one stage: a poison pool. This is the first map that has more of an open, winding design. Although I wouldn't say I actually got much done I did get a lot more comfortable with the enemy types there, found some good items, etc. I think all that's left to do is push for the first main flag though, and it's been tricky! You (seemingly? will look around more later) have to engage the creatures guarding it on the poisonous ground level, which rapidly drains your spirit to the bottom as you stand on it!

Has anyone found the ideal way to go about builds? Like focus on one element or 2. In demo, i mainly went wood and just leveled up some elements to small levels to get the only skill i wanted from thier tree . And how often can you respec?

I know they wanted to tone down the loot, but I’m not a fan of the lack of weapon upgrades so far. I’m doing mostly wood/fire/water in that order and the best sword I have is literally still the sabre you start the game with, and I’m on the fifth level.

Okay I’m on level six and I just now discovered that there’s a world map and sub missions. Why did they hide that away in the “visit another battlefield” option and not kick you to the world map between missions like in Nioh? Seems like a strange choice

I guess I have to play this lol. It's on gamepass and the combat looks fun. Don't know how I'll fit in a 40 hour game in this month but I will just have to try lmfao.

I've been enjoying this a good amount. It isn't anything like Nioh or Sekiro or a Souls game, it's a wuxia Ninja Gaiden with some weird leveling stuff on the side and odd loot systems that circumvent themselves by giving you 4 star stuff fairly early and there's no real reason to upgrade anything that isn't a 4 star. I still haven't actually died to a boss because I'm typically morale 25 and at that point bosses do very little damage and you do a ton and my companions pull aggro very nicely.

Apparently it has a story but I could not possibly tell you one ounce of what it is, every cutscene is just gibberish to me lol

Apparently it has a story but I could not possibly tell you one ounce of what it is, every cutscene is just gibberish to me lol
My solution to this problem has been to discord stream the game with a couple of ROT3K nerds watching who are explaining what's supposedly going on. It feels like the game just assumes you know all this.

I've made it to the point of beating Dong Zhou and I'm still liking it quite a bit just for the style it's got going on. I'm still holding out for more challenging side missions or endgame stuff, but I'm having a lot of fun just styling on things anyways.

The first boss is early hell 😭
Tip for the second phase: You only need to get him to around half health or so and then if you activate your jade (O + triangle on PS5) it will go into a cutscene and insta-kill him. So if you focus on trying to get a couple deflect breaks on his Red attacks, then jade activate, he's dead. Not too bad, IMO, just not very well explained or obvious.

RIGHT, I forgot about that part of it! You’ll see the icon light up and make a sound bit of course it’s pretty easy to not notice the UI when you’re In The Shit

A bunch of my “I’m alone and can sit by myself and play Wo Long” time has fallen through this weekend so far, determined to get back to it. Anyone who has gotten past that poisony area under the capital, any pointers on it are welcome 🙏

Back
Top Bottom