• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Without COVID around, could "Spider-Man: No Way Home" become one of the highest grossing movies in history?

There have been too many Spiderman movies already.
While with most heroes I think sticking to three movies each feels right, I have this weird feeling that Spiderman is the one that should kinda be a constant as long as the MCU is going. I don't know why it feels like that way for him specifically but it does.

I was actually relieved when Pascal said they're already working on the next Spiderman trilogy with Marvel, because at the end of NWH I feel like he's finally at the place where I want to see Spiderman kicking off from. The MCU Spidey movies so far have leaned so hard on other MCU characters being present for the plot, and now they have a chance to do a Feige-involved, Holland-led Spidey trilogy that's just Spiderman being Spiderman. And I want to see that. I've gone on for too long about this, sorry. 😅

I guess you weren’t bitten by a radioactive sarcasm

supa-hot-fire-rap-battle.gif

please... i remember when i saw the first avengers. i checked the movie theater yesterday and it reminded me of the first avengers hype

of course when i saw the infinite crowd i said nope and backed out of that place

Opening weekend numbers came in, Spider-man No Way Home had the second biggest opening of any movie in US history, beaten only by Endgame. This movie is definitely passing Far From Home’s 1.1 billion worldwide total, it’s already at $600 million in less than a week.

Because its MCU Spider-Man and it is being seen as a must experience "event", something that vast majority of films won't get to be. We also have no idea what will happen to theater openings as we head into the winter with Omicron.

But its safe to say No Way Home would be making WAAAAAY more money that it is even now if the pandemic was improving

I'm not completely sure if Spider-man would have done better in a non-pandemic environment. Theaters weren't closing and it isn't like it will be on streaming/home video for a couple months. With the numbers from the rest of the box office, I think the pandemic has been hypercentralizing the box office to only allow the biggest hits. It might affect the legs but, to me, as long as theaters are open with reasonable capacity, the opening performance couldn't be much better

Probably, yeah. Lots of people who are not going to theatres because of the sit, lockdowns or not.
Yeah, I'm really hyped to see this movie and here there are no lockdowns or any measure and the cinemas are already operating at 100%, so unless they start checking for vaccination confirmation, I don't feel safe enough to go to a crowded theater. Specially since a lot of people have been showing "flu symptoms" and living their lives as if covid was officially over despite that.

No Way Home in its way (home?) to beat Avatar's numbers:

Presently, “No Way Home” is only $25 million from unseating “Avatar” ($760 million) as the third-biggest movie ever (not adjusted for inflation). For any other pandemic-era release, adding another $25 million in ticket sales would be a high — if not insurmountable — barrier to cross since the movie has been available in cinemas for nearly two months. At one point, it seemed unlikely that “Spider-Man” would be able to reach those particular box office heights. But, as past weeks have demonstrated, “No Way Home” is no ordinary movie. It has the kind of legs that most arachnids would kill for. In other words, James Cameron’s groundbreaking 2009 sci-fi epic may soon find itself bumped from bronze. But worry not, Na’vi Nation. “Avatar” will easily maintain its all-time global box office title with $2.802 billion.

Yeah i knew this was going to happen. the move felt more like an event.

Weird, because I went to the theatre twice for Avatar. And when I saw the amount of people all together in one place for No Way Home I nuh-uh-uh'd my way outta there. Something's gotta be wrong.

Weird, because I went to the theatre twice for Avatar. And when I saw the amount of people all together in one place for No Way Home I nuh-uh-uh'd my way outta there. Something's gotta be wrong.

I'm sure that this movie sadly contributed to the amount of confirmed COVID cases in the US at least. But i'm not following your post, if I undertood correctly, since you noped out of Spider-man and saw Avatar twice , the news above are fishy and unreliable?

Last edited:
No Way Home in its way (home?) to beat Avatar's numbers:

Yeah i knew this was going to happen. the move felt more like an event.
Gotta admit I'll take the L on this one, can't complain since it was a great movie. It would have definitely hit 2 billion worldwide with a China release.

I think though we will continue to see theater attendance decline for non-event movies.

I'm sure that this movie sadly contributed to the amount of confirmed COVID cases in the US at least. But i'm not following your post, if I undertood correctly, since you noped out of Spider-man and saw Avatar twice , the news above are fishy and unreliable?
I'm joking around.

Back
Top Bottom