• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Without COVID around, could "Spider-Man: No Way Home" become one of the highest grossing movies in history?

Fercho

Touch Fuzzy get dizzy
Pronouns
He, Him
Maybe is my Spider-Man bias talking and perception. But i believe the excitement and expectations for this movie are HUGE, even more than the first Avengers movie, which itself went to become in one of the highest grossing movies in history.

Here in my country the ticket pre-orders made the movie theaters platforms completely collapse, reselling of tickets go for crazy amounts and even people having fist fights in order to get tickets, it´s crazy.

But all of this is surely because of the COVID restrictions. Sadly, with COVID around we will never know the true box-office potential of this movie. Me myself, with the 4th wave starting to hit i will surely avoid cinemas (yet again), since No Way Home was the only movie together with the Matrix that i was planning to see at the theater.

When i say "highest Grossing" i mean at least within the top 5.

Last edited:
COVID is just the reality of life nowadays. It isn't going to magically disappear, we will be living with the specter of COVID for years to come, so speculating about how things would be "without COVID around" is a little unrealistic.

EDIT: Sorry if this response was too much of a downer.

Last edited:
COVID is just the reality of life nowadays. It isn't going to magically disappear, we will be living with the specter of COVID for years to come, so speculating about how things would be "without COVID around" is a little unrealistic.

EDIT: Sorry if this response was too much of a downer.

More than speculating on what would be the case if we were living "in the old world" it's more to put in perspective the vast amount of hype this movie has, me being around during the whole MCU era I’ve never seen such hype with the exception of the first Avengers.

IDK. Spider Man Home-Something 2 didn't set the world on fire, whereas Iron Man did prior to Avengers, so did Civil War before Infinity War and so did Infinity War before End Game.

I could maybe have seen around 1.5 billion worldwide at best. I doubt it'd hit 2 billion or anything crazy like that.

It almost certainly would do better out of a pandemic, but I’m sure it’ll still do well. Seems like big, VFX-heavy films like Dune and Ghostbusters are bringing out the crowds. I imagine Spidey will be the same.

Considering how well tickets have already been selling, I think it'll do great numbers even with COVID happening.

I think the interesting factor is how much hype this film has because the pandemic has been dragging so long and delaying other films. It feels like the first event film that actually has a real shot of doing well because vaccines and boosters are out. I think the hype would be more muted (still relatively high), but more people would go see it if Covid hadn’t happened. The only thing that could possibly stop this from being the biggest success yet in the pandemic is if horrendous Omicron news drops and people cancel tickets. I’ll probably be waiting for the Blu Ray release to watch it myself since I’m still avoiding theaters. Can’t believe Shang Chi is already out on Blu Ray, turnarounds are so quick these days.

I think people are getting sick of these movies. I would be surprised if it matches Venom 2
I think that people needs some deserved "end of the year escapism" and this movie fits that bill completely.

Anyway, the movie appears is going to break pre-sales ticket records. Pending to know how Omicron will modify people's plans.

Without COVID as a reality I could easily see this movie grossing 2 billion.
"Easily"?

Let's remember that Avengers infinity war barely got to 2b. Star wars episode 7 with everything going for it including the return of a bunch of beloved characters for a much bigger nostalgia boost than Tobey Spiderman would give, if he's in the film, barely got to 2b.

Hell, the previous two spiderman films combined, which had huge draws in the form of RDJ, barely make 2b* added together*.

Spiderman is actually the one superhero I can't stand. So anything I would say would be biased.

your post?
I mean, I assume you're being sarcastic here, it's extremely unlikely this film fails to beat Venom 2. Functionally nobody is getting tired of the MCU movies, and especially not of Spiderman, it's just a pandemic reality that box offices are not going to be hitting previous highs they might have otherwise.

According to Wikipedia Spider-Man’s peak was his latest movie and even that can’t beat Return of the King. Back when Spider-Man was good I remember it clearly wasn’t as popular as stuff like HP and LOTR. So even without COVID it’s unlikely it beats stuff like the latest Avengers, despite it leaning towards getting carried by crossover appeal

Quoted by: VHS
According to Wikipedia Spider-Man’s peak was his latest movie and even that can’t beat Return of the King. Back when Spider-Man was good I remember it clearly wasn’t as popular as stuff like HP and LOTR. So even without COVID it’s unlikely it beats stuff like the latest Avengers, despite it leaning towards getting carried by crossover appeal
"Back when Spider-Man was good"?

Yeah not a fan of anything outside of the Tobey movies

Funny for you to say that.

I´ve been a super fan of Spider-Man since.... i have memory really and Raimi´s movies are by far the worse , most boring and corny of the bunch and also , after that , are just bad movies in general, just cringefests through and through. The problem was Raimi really , since all his movies are like this, i was VERY disappointed when he was confirmed to be the director of the DR. Strange sequel (But the ZERO charisma of Tobey didn´t helped)

I know Raimi and his horrible SM movies have tons of fans so i´m not looking to start a discussion on what string of movies was the best, but i also know that i´m not alone in my opinion of Raimi´s Spidey (and his movies) and Holland´s Spider-man has the original trilogy for breakfast any day.

The only good thing spawned by that trilogy is Molina´s Doc Ock, thankfully he is in this one.

Funny for you to say that.

I´ve been a super fan of Spider-Man since.... i have memory really and Raimi´s movies are by far the worse , most boring and corny of the bunch and also , after that , are just bad movies in general, just cringefests through and through. The problem was Raimi really , since all his movies are like this, i was VERY disappointed when he was confirmed to be the director of the DR. Strange sequel (But the ZERO charisma of Tobey didn´t helped)

I know Raimi and his horrible SM movies have tons of fans so i´m not looking to start a discussion on what string of movies was the best, but i also know that i´m not alone in my opinion of Raimi´s Spidey (and his movies) and Holland´s Spider-man has the original trilogy for breakfast any day.

The only good thing spawned by that trilogy is Molina´s Doc Ock, thankfully he is in this one.

OUT AM I?!

OUT AM I?!
CalmThriftyKronosaurus-max-1mb.gif

IDK. Spider Man Home-Something 2 didn't set the world on fire, whereas Iron Man did prior to Avengers, so did Civil War before Infinity War and so did Infinity War before End Game.
Far from Home wasn't an ambitious crossover like Avengers, Civil War and Infinity War. Last I checked Iron Man didn't set the world on fire in the box office, it just set the precedent of what to expect from Marvel movies in general to kickoff the MCU.

Any Marvel content that crosses over a bunch of other characters always incites more interesting and have people play catch up with the movies (and now Disney Plus shows).

Safe to say Spider-Man No Way Home would hit Avengers levels easily because we are getting all the villains and the worst kept secret ever, other spider-man's from the other films which creates a longer narrative buildup then Avengers as the Sam Raimi trilogy started back in 2002.

Yeah not a fan of anything outside of the Tobey movies
Well uh. Watch this one then? And Sam Raimi making Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness so if that's what you like. Here it is on a silver platter.

Last I checked Iron Man didn't set the world on fire in the box office, it just set the precedent of what to expect from Marvel movies in general to kickoff the MCU.
For a super hero movie, Iron Man certainly did the thing. The state of super hero movies wasn't good as a whole back then. It was one disappointment after other. Then came one that was good, set a precedent (that wasn't Dark Knight style), and was successful to boot. It was way more than precedent, it was a shift in super hero movies.

And about the box office, it was before Avatar, so $1 billion at box office wasn't commonplace. Dark Knight did much better, yes, but at the time Iron Man's 500kk was nothing to scoff at. Especially coming off the other Marvel flops.

Any Marvel content that crosses over a bunch of other characters always incites more interesting and have people play catch up with the movies (and now Disney Plus shows).

Safe to say Spider-Man No Way Home would hit Avengers levels easily because we are getting all the villains and the worst kept secret ever, other spider-man's from the other films which creates a longer narrative buildup then Avengers as the Sam Raimi trilogy started back in 2002.

Okay. I can accept this one. It's just that I haven't been feeling the love for the new SM trilogy as a whole as much as I was for Avengers...or Avatar for that matter. But you're right. It does go way back.

Tom Holland’s newest web-slinging adventure “Spider-Man: No Way Home” hits theaters on Friday and is poised to generate $150 million in its box office debut — a heroic feat even by pre-COVID standards. The film’s distributor Sony Pictures modestly predicts a three-day tally closer to $130 million, which would still rank as a huge win. But given pent-up demand and record pre-sales, some box office prognosticators are more bullish. They believe an opening weekend near $175 million could be within reach.

haven't heard a lot of people talking about this. I wonder if it's just people aren't talking about it or if it's in trouble
Wut
This movie has been hyped to hell and now it has the 3rd highest grossing preview night for a film ever and it did that during Covid. Word of mouth is also amazing, so it will likely have decent legs too.

I would love to go see No Way Home, but it wouldn't be responsible of me to risk it, especially with Omicron wreaking havoc during the holidays. Too many high risk relatives. Then I see the news about all the money it made during its opening weekend and I'm just like...........................

I would love to go see No Way Home, but it wouldn't be responsible of me to risk it, especially with Omicron wreaking havoc during the holidays. Too many high risk relatives. Then I see the news about all the money it made during its opening weekend and I'm just like...........................
Yeah I've been comfortable going to movies for the past few months because I'm usually one of only a few people in a very spread-out theater (if not the only nerd in the theater), but I tried to get tickets for Spidey and it was sold out. Each non-morning showing. For the next several days. I guess covid is officially over! that was sarcasm

I’m not seeing Spider-Man sadly anytime soon for Covid concerns, but yeah the buzz for this film was super high. Going by my Twitter follows, a ton more people saw it than any other pandemic film and a good chunk planned to see it but canceled tickets due to Covid concerns. I think this film will sadly be very front loaded despite the very positive word of mouth as Omicron spreads rapidly and hits close to home. Been hearing of some bad breakthrough cases for friends of friends :/ If things don’t get better, I hope it hits Blu Ray soon since correct me if I’m wrong, it won’t be hitting Disney+ any time soon as a Sony film.

$253M opening domestically (making it instantly the highest grossing movie since The Rise of Skywalker) and a $575M global debut. Both numbers will go up with actuals tomorrow. Will be the highest grossing movie since TROS globally by next weekend. $1.5b WW even without a China release is looking likely.

The $253M makes it the 3rd biggest domestic opening of all time (after Endgame and Infinity War). The Sunday estimate is super conservative so it could end up over Infinity War's opening to become #2. 3rd biggest opening of all time globally as well.

Yes, but it it is the highest grossing film now of the "new normal". I don't think the BO will ever go back to its earning potential outside of inflation making it so lol

Yes, but it it is the highest grossing film now of the "new normal". I don't think the BO will ever go back to its earning potential outside of inflation making it so lol
Opening weekend numbers came in, Spider-man No Way Home had the second biggest opening of any movie in US history, beaten only by Endgame. This movie is definitely passing Far From Home’s 1.1 billion worldwide total, it’s already at $600 million in less than a week.

Yup , an amazing success this movies is, even with COVID around:

• Spider-Man: No Way Home” outpaced Sunday box office estimates to become the second-highest domestic opening of all time.
  • While Sony initially anticipated the Marvel Cinematic Universe flick would tally $253 million during its first weekend in theaters, the film topped $260 million.
  • In doing so, “No Way Home” surpassed the $257 million haul made by “Avengers: Infinity War” in 2018.

The sky is the limit, lets see where it goes.

Back
Top Bottom