• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Will Tears Of The Kingdom Get DLC?

Yes Or No

• Total voters
Overall im really mixed on TotK (on its own i would say its a 9/10 game, wholeheartedly recommend), but if its DLC, i ONLY want it if its its own map.

Having a huge landmass above the current layer, and its own sidestory? sure.
Having it be on an Island? in the sea? yeah.
Having it be a straight challenge run für a special skill or a weapon? im mean, thats fine i guess.
Having it be story expansion and explanation for stuff the game missed? NO! HELL NO!

Im done with this wirld, lore, hyrule. They managed to have the original, the DLC for that AND a whole new game set in this world,
and kinda managed with every addition to expand the world...while showing how small minded they can be in how they handle so much of it.
At the start i was "there is so much Potential with this worlds lore, where they can expand, they left so many aspect untouched or not explored satisfyingly.".
Then we got the DLC. It was just a tacked on bad joke lore wise (the new shrines did not make sense, the return to the boss battles made even less sense, the secret dungeon location and what it was made no sense, why the sword would have this convoluted new way of unlocking its full potential suddenly did not make sense. Then we got TotK and it retconned a ton, ignored a lot of other stuff, had lore and story chasms, and im still not sure if either Link is an asshole, knowing where zelda is and not mentioning it to anyone, or if everybody is just DENSE.

So if we get DLC, especially with a game thats so padded (looking at you, essentially reused sky islands and almost generated Feeling Depths...that uses the Surface bosses and DLC gear from the first as its main incentives) i hope its own thing, ideally you could just launch it from the title screen like Future Connected was seemingly. (I dont think they will do that)

So if we get DLC: make it its own thing, a side story, maybe slightly connected to the main game (the lore of the dragons would by this point feel wrong,
especially since going by the lore established in the first one they are connected to the springs that represent the 3 virtues of the triforce, meaning that either they would expand on the triforce in an DLC (no chance), or they would move away from that, and that means we will again get retcons that makes the worldbuilding in this iteration even worse.

They haven't announced anything which is different from BotW's DLC, which was announced right away. However, Nintendo has been quite regular with DLC over the past years, so they might still do it.

Personally I hope they have moved on, because any DLC that could change my lukewarm opinion of TotK - fleshing out the Depths or adding a new landmass with new enemies - is probably unrealistic.

You will have a fat rounded DLC AND an hyrule warriors : Imprisoning wars.
But they can sell strategically the former, maybe with enhanchement for a new hardware *wink wink

I’d be surprised if it didn’t.

Personally, I’m not ready for my time in this Hyrule to end quite yet, so I’m all in. I kinda see the half-decade wait as almost an inevitability at this point, I don’t see this contributing to that much.

Last edited:
I don't think there will be. I want there to be, but I think the 70$ price tag was explicitly so they wouldn't need to rely on DLC sales to make the game more profitable. But I also think a possible sign DLC could be coming is the fact that there was no Master Mode in the base game. Almost everything else from the Breath of the Wild DLC made its way over into Tears of the Kingdom except Master Mode. I think they would have announced it was coming if it was just going to be a free update, and I do think Master Mode's absence is notable.

BotW was 70 Euro too in Europe and still got DLC.

I'm indifferent, since I don't care for DLC. The only DLC I bought in my life was actually Breath of the Wild's.

But I'm thinking they will, and they will have my money.

To me, the biggest questions leftover from TOTK that weren't resolved in the main game revolves around characters that could definitely stand to get elaborated on DLC before we close the book on this game.

The first one, as mentioned before, is Kass. Considering he was one of the stars of the previous game's DLC, I could see him serving a similar role for the sequel's, if it came to it.

Second one would definitely be...

Twinrova. They went through the trouble of creating two unique, green-skinned lady Gerudo, who never got any lines at all, and we don't even see them in any other memories or other part of the game. To me, at least, that spelled trouble. If they're just as magically gifted as the ones we've known previously, they probably are serving as Ganondorf's "backup plan" to resurrect him again, in the case of failure. I could easily see them as the DLC's main villains.

And finally...

With the question of "who was the hero on the Calamity from 10,000 years ago" seemingly finally answered, thanks to the "Ancient Hero's Aspect" costume, the question now could be, well...what exactly is he? A descendant of Rauru or Mineru's? A unique incarnation of the Hero that just decided to materialize as a Zonai-like being, instead? And what kind of implications does that have, if it means that a Hero to wield the Master Sword doesn't necessarily have to look like any version we've seen previously? Of all these, I bet this one will probably get tabled the most, but I can't help but wonder if it's a sign that maybe Link's next incarnation(s) doesn't have to be a blue-eyed, dirty blond Hylian.

This game needs to expand on Ganondorf and maybe give a little backstory to the three main dragons now that we know how they came to be. I would also love more dungeons.

The question is: is it needed?

Personally don't think it is. This game has so much content as-is that DLC might become too much of a good thing.

Now that I think about it, I don't believe those aerial combat patents fully materialised in the game. Maybe thats something for DLC?

My brain keeps telling me we'd have heard by now, but the Animal Crossing DLC was released 18 months after the game came out and only announced a month before. DLC would set them up perfectly for a gold edition with all the extras and increased 4K nonsense at the Switch 2's release.

A smaller dlc campaign in the style of future redeemed or torna would be my dream, I understand that the game has an insane amount of content but even after finishing the game i still want to keep playing it, so just roll out the dlc, give us hero mode and a new sword quest and just drain my money.

I hope not. I’m done with the game. I don’t think i would purchase any. Now Pikmin 4, give me ALL the DLC.

My brain keeps telling me we'd have heard by now, but the Animal Crossing DLC was released 18 months after the game came out and only announced a month before. DLC would set them up perfectly for a gold edition with all the extras and increased 4K nonsense at the Switch 2's release.
Actually that's the only way I can see a dlc happening. Not 4k or gold edition necessarily but some extra stuff and quest dlc when they patch the game for new Switch.

Most of the 1st party switch games that get DLC have it announced before launch so they can sell expansion passes out the gate when interest is highest. This is the main reason it's sort of felt to me like it's not coming. But, they could totally be trying something different here. Maybe they'll announce in September to push more sales/interest going into the holidays.

I hope so, but Nintendo hasn’t said anything until now, so I feel they won’t.

Maybe just a minor Master Mode, but I think they will put this mode on an eventual delixe version of switch 2.

Since the Champion's Ballad DLC revolved around Kass, please let TotK's DLC revolve around Penn.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Trials of the Newspaper

To be honest most of the content of the game is very repetitive or just recycled from BOTW. After waiting six years, I'd like some new costumes be they legacy outfits or entirely new, and some more story than just the tiny amount we got.

Next game is likely still in the planning stages, so maybe Monolith PG2 staff will primarily handle the DLC with EPD leads while most of the other EPD staff get moved to other internal projects until full production begins. Monolith was actually primarily responsible for the game design on the BotW DLC.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, I don't believe those aerial combat patents fully materialised in the game. Maybe thats something for DLC?
they did actually — just realized this recently

you have to aim your bow in skydiving freefall to get the dynamic flip

it’s kinda neat but not especially useful

I don’t think you can get away with another “here’s more stuff before the final boss” like Champion’s Ballad was. If it’s not a new story then I don’t think they’ll do it.

I think armor sets is all we get.

Bank on it, there's no way they arent.

And if I may dream... I hope they are going to make it a big expansion, making it a stopgap for new mainline Zelda until a new 3D Zelda arrives in the future, and it's going to be announced at the Switch 2 reveal event.

3D Mario and TotK expansion double whammy on launchday to start off a new console generation for Nintendo,

If it doesn’t happen by the end of the September Direct, get worried.

That said, I need my Master Mode, frustrating it wasn’t included in the base game.

But in all other accounts, I really don’t care about DLC for this game. I’m ready to move on from this version of Hyrule. TOTK took so long to come out that I can’t imagine how long it will take for a brand new Zelda with a completely different world. Might as well get a head start

very surprised at the amount of people who don't want dlc lol. I think y'all are crazy for not wanting more of this game

I want DLC, I just don't think it will come. There's a difference.

Back
Top Bottom