• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Will Tears Of The Kingdom Get DLC?

Yes Or No

• Total voters
I think so. My guess is they treat it as a bigger deal than BotW's was, and it's more of an Eldin Ring-esque thing where they announce a major DLC expansion is in development (maybe at the game awards) and then it comes out like a year after that.

Yes, of course, it is a very successful game and a perfect opportunity to handle the transition to Switch 2.

As for on what it can focus on:

Maybe the story of the 4 original dragons ?

YeahI hope it'll get DLC, you could more easily add more land mass with sky islands compared to modifying the existing topography on the ground. Also would be a great opportunity for more Zonai devices.

Honestly I thought the Amiibo section in the last Direct was the perfect segue into announcing DLC (even if it was just "DLC confirmed!") but they didn't do it.

I'm 50/50 but if we hear nothing in the September Direct I'll assume we aren't getting it. I'll vote yes to be optimistic. Definitely a game I want more of.

Honestly I thought the Amiibo section in the last Direct was the perfect segue into announcing DLC (even if it was just "DLC confirmed!") but they didn't do it.
Would have been too soon, people were still playing the game.

In terms of timing, it could either be this September for TGS or at TGA alongside the GOTY win (like in 2017 when they revealed and shadowdropped DLC2 there).

Would have been too soon, people were still playing the game.

In terms of timing, it could either be this September for TGS or at TGA alongside the GOTY win (like in 2017 when they revealed and shadowdropped DLC2 there).
The thing is that they announced the DLC for BOTW before that game even released so the fact that we have not heard anything is making people think either the DLC is going to be substantial or there will be no DLC at all.

The thing is that they announced the DLC for BOTW before that game even released so the fact that we have not heard anything is making people think either the DLC is going to be substantial or there will be no DLC at all.

Most Nintendo DLCs are announced before the games even come out
Is that pattern even true for most Nintendo EPD games, especially over the recent years ?

I don’t think it will. I think they basically put everything into the retail game and there’s no need for DLC. I think the $70 price point figured into this.

Edit: then again, releasing it for the holidays would be great timing. Who knows.

Most Nintendo DLCs are announced before the games even come out

For what it's worth, Nintendo has been pretty secretive with regards to story details for Tears of the Kingdom, prior and even after release. If any DLC is story related, they may not want to reveal it just yet. Nintendo just released the official artwork for Yunobo and haven't even released Zelda's official artwork of her holding the Master Sword. So they have been pretty slow in giving out more story and character details even two months after release.

I'd rather companies stopped releasing dlc. Just make another game and release it on cart. Only a small percentage of ppl play dlc anyway.

You don't need to spoil the story if all you say is "we're confirming development of DLC for Tears Of The Kingdom. Please stay tuned for future details."
They could have, but I'd argue that it is was the best time nor the best way to reveal an Expansion (unless it is a long way off).
Of recent that has been the case for their paid dlc. Splatoon 3, Xenoblade, FE Engage for instance were all announced before the game's release. Of course this doesn't mean ToTK isn't getting dlc.
Xeno/FE are not from EPD. I'll give you S3, but we can also name Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Cpt Toad as examples of Nintendo EPD games that got their DLC announced post-launch.

They could have, but I'd argue that it is was the best time nor the best way to reveal an Expansion (unless it is a long way off).

Xeno/FE are not from EPD. I'll give you S3, but we can also name Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Cpt Toad as examples of Nintendo EPD games that got their DLC announced post-launch.
That's why I said of recent. Mario Kart 8 is also an unusual case rather than the norm.

Yes but not on Switch 1

Why do some people have to make up the daftest conspiracies. Of course it will be on switch 1, if it exists. They'll time it to advertise alongside a new console, but they didn't skip the god forsaken Wii U Version of BOTW from getting the dlc for that game. The suggestion that they would do so for the switch is bordering downright stupid.

Last edited:
With Kass being entirely absent from the game, other than the hint at the end of the stables side adventure, it seems there are potentially things they can build on if they want. There's also stuff I do want them to build on in a fun way, like a side adventure where you check in on Dorephan as he tours Hyrule and drags Muzu around with him.

I also think it's entirely possible whatever they're doing is bigger in scope than BotW got, and that they're keeping it under wraps much the way they did with the main game. Maybe they even pull a "wave 1 dlc available now" in September, with a confirmation of a bigger expansion for 2024.

Very sure there will be DLC. I cheer for a expansion of the sea. Wind Waker Style with a lit of islands to explore.

At this point I kind of hope not. The game is big enough as it is, and I didn't really like the BOTW DLC. Oh boy, extra challenges to throw at me now that it's far after release and I'm rusty! At least TOTK let me belatedly ride a motorcycle in Hyrule.

I suspect it'll be multi-part again, with the last part being a major story piece, new area, and launches alongside drake

I personally don’t think so, imo since this was originally dlc that expanded and they threw all thier ideas into this game I don’t think they will do dlc, they see this as a fine end to this world, it’s everything they couldn’t make for botw and more.

Yes it will.

I've not finished TOTK yet so idk how it ends, but assuming it doesn't leave things open for a third game, and that this will indeed be our last adventure in that Hyrule for a while, I was thinking it'd be a great idea to do a sort of Tarrey Town on steroids reconstruction of Hyrule castle, ending the Hero of the Wild's journey by ending the post-apocalypse and returning Hyrule and Castle Town to its former glory.

oh yea, they have to expand house building some how. maybe even give drake players 30 parts to play with instead of 15

Why do some people have to make up the daftest conspiracies. Of course it will be on switch 1, if it exists. They'll time it to advertise alongside a new console, but they didn't skip the god forsaken Wii U Version of BOTW from getting the dlc for that game. The suggestion that they would do so for the switch is bordering downright stupid.
I believe there's a strong chance that the expansion for the game will require additional power to execute and won't be possible on the Switch 1. That was not the case with BotW, in no small part because there was no significant difference in power between the systems. The circumstances are different so naturally the events may be different. Is the idea of DLC only being available on a more powerful system really that implausible when Horizon Forbidden West just did exactly what I'm describing?

Apart from the final temple, BOTWs DLC was pretty low investment stuff from Nintendo. Shouldn't take that much time to match that. But if I expect meatier DLC idk, if they really want to get to a Zelda ASAP than maybe not? But given the expected attach rate, probability of a patch/enhanced port, and ability to easily keep some new 3d Zelda content coming, why wouldn't they out some more time in to it? That said, I don't expect a ff7/Horizon FW style next gen only DLC.

I don't think there will be. I want there to be, but I think the 70$ price tag was explicitly so they wouldn't need to rely on DLC sales to make the game more profitable. But I also think a possible sign DLC could be coming is the fact that there was no Master Mode in the base game. Almost everything else from the Breath of the Wild DLC made its way over into Tears of the Kingdom except Master Mode. I think they would have announced it was coming if it was just going to be a free update, and I do think Master Mode's absence is notable.

I'm beginning to feel like they might have scrapped DLC plans, and instead are rolling that into a smaller scale Zelda game to launch with the Switch 2.

Sort of a second quest on TotK's world they can develop in the same time the DLC would take.

No, Nintendo 1st party games (Not Pokémon) with Single player DLC generally have it announced before launch.

The game is already built off an old game, what’s left for them to add. I’d argue that there has never been a game that needs dlc less that this game does.

The Zelda team need to move on asap, as they need to get a Switch 2 Zelda out as soon as possible. They can’t really wait six years again.

I think so, and it'll probably be meatier than what BOTW's got.
Probably why they didn't announce it yet.
They'll do it the Splatoon 2/New Horizons way. Casually announce it one month prior to launch, and it'll release one year after the game's initial release. So around May 2024 is when I expect it.

In terms of like a Master Mode and minor stuff, then yes, I think so.

But a full, Champions Ballad-type thing? Nah, I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom