• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Why do you think Metroid does not sell as well as zelda despite having some of the best recieved games ever?

If I was a Metroid fan all I’d want is it selling enough to be profitable and keep executives happy. The price Zelda paid to sell to a broader audience was too much for me.

Yeah, I can see that. I don't think open world Zelda as a concept can't work, it's just what they've done with it doesn't really suit my tastes. Hopefully ill resonate with the next one more. It just sucks to wait another 5+ years for it. I still enjoy them but they're nowhere near my favorites in the series. Hoping we get a 2d game more in the classic style at least.

I'd hate to see Metroid go open world, or lean heavily into other trends just for the sake of appealing to the masses. I'm all for modernizing the series, and I think they mostly great job with Dread. But I really just want Metroid Prime 4 to feel like a Metroid Prime ass game.

Yeah, I can see that. I don't think open world Zelda as a concept can't work, it's just what they've done with it doesn't really suit my tastes. Hopefully ill resonate with the next one more. It just sucks to wait another 5+ years for it. I still enjoy them but they're nowhere near my favorites in the series. Hoping we get a 2d game more in the classic style at least.

I'd hate to see Metroid go open world, or lean heavily into other trends just for the sake of appealing to the masses. I'm all for modernizing the series, and I think they mostly great job with Dread. But I really just want Metroid Prime 4 to feel like a Metroid Prime ass game.
I'm in the same boat. I think Zelda really suits open world(was hyped to death before I played BOTW). I think my problem is the open air(sandbox, give all tools to player since start, open dungeons and puzzles....) and the open world cliche like durability, tons of collectibles, repeat 5 types of content all over the map...

In any case, though, the suggestion that a darker sci-fi as a genre doesn't limit the audience doesn't sound right. I recall it being a thing where games of that ilk would be expected to sell less (though I haven't kept up terribly much lately). Even the most popular sci-fi (Star Wars, for instance) tends to skew more toward being space-fantasy (similar to how the strong narrative hook, free exploration, lots of loveable characters suggestions would likely be).

The different gameplay elements will lower the ceiling and enforce more of a niche, yes, but so will the themes and genre conventions. It really all works together as one package.
I’ve always seen sci-fi as a different audience rather than a smaller one. But that could just be my westerner perspective, because I just realized that’s we rarely see anything similar to Metroid tone-wise that comes out of Japan. So that’s on me.

I disagree that Sci-fi isn't a draw. it's more of a thematic rotation that goes on with fiction. there's plenty of sci-fi stuff that does very well

I think Metroid's biggest fear will be game development costs outpacing traditional Metroid's appeal. once that happens, Metroid would be heading to the F-Zero bin. it might be a ways before that happens, but Nintendo will want to head it off at the pass

I disagree that Sci-fi isn't a draw. it's more of a thematic rotation that goes on with fiction. there's plenty of sci-fi stuff that does very well

I think Metroid's biggest fear will be game development costs outpacing traditional Metroid's appeal. once that happens, Metroid would be heading to the F-Zero bin. it might be a ways before that happens, but Nintendo will want to head it off at the pass
I think sci-fi is big draw in general, but it's not as big as fantasy. If we're answering the question "why isn't Metroid as big as Zelda", then we shouldn't ignore that factor.

Metroid could be bigger though.

A Metroid game that would sell to the masses would be something either more linear or be open-ended with more free exploration with a strong narrative hook with lots of characters for people to get attached to.

Basically everything Metroid fans cannot stand.

So I think in reality Metroid fans gotta reconcile that they would rather have these games that play the way the love but don’t sell to the masses rather than become something it isn’t for that major appeal.
I can't agree very much with this.

The success of Dark Souls and Elden Ring proves non-linear exploration, unconventional and cryptic storytelling, isolation, silent protagonits, lack of handholding and even steep learning curves are more viable than ever for a game to be a larger success.

Of course, I would not ever advocate for the series to make 180° turn at all, but I think there could be plenty of ways to evolve the formula without it abandoning its roots.

Last edited:

The success of Dark Souls and Elden Ring proves non-linear exploration, unconventional and cryptic storytelling, isolation, silent protagonits, lack of handholding and even steep learning curves are more viable than ever for a game to be a larger success.

Of course, I would not ever advocate for the series to make 180° turn at all, but I think there could be plenty of ways to evolve the formula without it abandoning its roots.
From's Souls games have far more differences from Metroid than similarities, though.

The success of Dark Souls and Elden Ring proves non-linear exploration, unconventional and cryptic storytelling, isolation, silent protagonits, lack of handholding and even steep learning curves are more viable than ever for a game to be a mass success.
Dark Souls and it's kindred are fundamentally different games though.

Metroid is, for all intents and purposes, a straight-up action game with a heavy dose of wayfinding mixed in (hence also the term Search Action Game, which is how Nintendo calls the series in Japan) and the games have generally very little in the way of optional content outside of finding the expansions to the arsenal that you find throughout the game - and that arsenal is, again, highly fixed because most of it is necessary to progress through the game.

Dark Souls is an RPG and while it, and the 1980s side-scrolling action role-playing games that have informed both it and the "IGAvania" games, have some mild similarities with Metroid, I think its reputation as a "3D Metroidvania" is a false belief stemming from the fact that it released in a period of time where its world design just wasn't used at all. In fact, I'd argue From's output has more in common with The Legend of Zelda, particularly pre-TWW for Dark Souls and BotW and beyond for Elden Ring.

From Souls games have a more extended cast than Metroid to latch on to.

Also lots of other things to differentiate.
Case in point, I've never played Souls. I have no idea who or what the main player character is.

But I do know who the "Praise the Sun" guy is and where he comes from. It might be from a meme, but atleast it got me aware of something from the series.
Metroid has no memes.

Case in point, I've never played Souls. I have no idea who or what the main player character is.

But I do know who the "Praise the Sun" guy is and where he comes from. It might be from a meme, but atleast it got me aware of something from the series.
Metroid has no memes.
Metroid's had a good number of memes. Some of my favorite historical ones are the infamous "WHY CAN'T METROID CRAWL?" and Absolutely_Disgusting_Samus_Puking_Phazon.gif, to name a few. Dread had quite a few good ones crop up during its era, and I'm sure Prime 4 will inspire quite a bit more whenever Nintendo deems us worthy of finally seeing the game.

So I think Metroid's "meme game" potential is the least of its concerns.

Metroid's had a good number of memes. Some of my favorite historical ones are the infamous "WHY CAN'T METROID CRAWL?" and Absolutely_Disgusting_Samus_Puking_Phazon.gif, to name a few. Dread had quite a few good ones crop up during its era, and I'm sure Prime 4 will inspire quite a bit more whenever Nintendo deems us worthy of finally seeing the game.

So I think Metroid's "meme game" potential is the least of its concerns.
Does "Ridley is too big" count or is that more of a Smash meme

It's less mainstream, simple as that.
It's dark, creepy, atmospheric, claustrophobic and amazing.

Zelda is much closer to bright coloured, familiar fantasy that everyone loves.

I think sci-fi is big draw in general, but it's not as big as fantasy. If we're answering the question "why isn't Metroid as big as Zelda", then we shouldn't ignore that factor.

Metroid could be bigger though.

I think the setting is irrelevant. The main Zelda games follow the "Hero's journey" pretty accurately, while the Metroid games don't. Hero's journey is a highly popular theme regardless of setting (Lord of the Rings, Rocky, Harry Potter, Finding Nemo, The Lion King, and so on).

IMO, the Star Wars movies are more popular franchise than the Aliens movies, for the same reason. Both using sci-fi setting.

Would like to see one day a brand new third person Metroid game because I feel like it could potentially attract a bigger audience but it'd essentially require a third dev team besides Retro and MercurySteam. Metroid Other M might also have killed any immediate interest to develop that kind of game too.

That's a really weird statement.

People can just not have interest in or not have fondness for Metroid.

Not talking about Metroid specifically. Just generally about all the amazing art that is ignored because it's not mainstream enough in favor of mass produced and mass marketed, oftentimes shallower experiences.

Last edited:
Not talking about Metroid specifically. Just generally about all the amazing art that is ignored because it's not mainstream enough in favor of mass produced and mass marketed, oftentimes shallower experiences.
oh no, people prefer to watch x instead of y

it's a needless argument. and I definitely don't favor ones that put the blame on the audience for liking what they like

You're getting pushback for this, but I've said similar. It's not that FromSoft's Elden Souls output and Metroid are interchangeable in any way, but it's indicative that different attributes that are oft suggested will necessarily keep Metroid in the dark need not hold the series back as much as indicated, nor do they necessarily need change to avoid that fate.

Of course, this also depends on what is meant by "the masses," but then there's the question of how much of that is necessary.

From's Souls games have far more differences from Metroid than similarities, though.
Dark Souls and it's kindred are fundamentally different games though.

Metroid is, for all intents and purposes, a straight-up action game with a heavy dose of wayfinding mixed in (hence also the term Search Action Game, which is how Nintendo calls the series in Japan) and the games have generally very little in the way of optional content outside of finding the expansions to the arsenal that you find throughout the game - and that arsenal is, again, highly fixed because most of it is necessary to progress through the game.

Dark Souls is an RPG and while it, and the 1980s side-scrolling action role-playing games that have informed both it and the "IGAvania" games, have some mild similarities with Metroid, I think its reputation as a "3D Metroidvania" is a false belief stemming from the fact that it released in a period of time where its world design just wasn't used at all. In fact, I'd argue From's output has more in common with The Legend of Zelda, particularly pre-TWW for Dark Souls and BotW and beyond for Elden Ring.
There are similarities and there are differences. The point isn't that the series are entirely similar.

The point is that different attributes are oft insisted as elements that need thrown out for Metroid to thrive. FromSoft's Souls and Souls-adjacent indicate, with their own use of such and similar attributes, that this isn't inherently the case. The exploration, with the world that loops in on itself and presents shortcuts and opens up as one progresses*; the more subdued and cryptic storytelling, filled with lore and lacking in overt plot focus; the isolation, melancholy, or otherwise oppressive atmosphere -- these are all points that are suggested as inherently detractive of Metroid's potential, keeping it from being even truly viable, but the suggestions clearly don't hold. There's nothing that means these must be jettisoned.

No, Dark Souls isn't a metroidvania. It doesn't have the ability gating of Metroid, doesn't have the same form of progression. It has stats. The combat is different. And so forth. This doesn't negate the point given.

One point I've seen to decry comparison is that Souls is focused on the boss battles, but boss battles have also been discussed as a notable point for Echoes and for Dread.

A lack of optional content doesn't seem integral to the Metroid experience, either. The prospect of such being added more into future entries has been discussed in related threads on this site. I suspect it would be largely welcomed.

I suppose the point here is that simply saying that the series are different just doesn't really explain why that should matter to what has actually been put forth.

*drawing, here, primarily from the first Dark Souls. I understand the later entries veered from this sort of world design, but the construction of the first game leaned a lot more toward how a Metroid title would be designed, albeit with key items and without ability gating, which does make a big difference.

The main character is player-created and can be whatever manner of abomination you set your mind toward and have the appropriate ability to create.

On that note, I suspect you do know who or what the main character of Metroid is, regardless of whether you've played it.
Metroid has no memes.
[/shakeshead] I can't believe you didn't remember him.

Would like to see one day a brand new third person Metroid game because I feel like it could potentially attract a bigger audience but it'd essentially require a third dev team besides Retro and MercurySteam. Metroid Other M might also have killed any immediate interest to develop that kind of game too.
Yes, a third-person 3D Metroid has the potential to be something special. The first-person games have their own strengths, and such a hypothetical third-person line would have different angles through which it might explore its own.

Especially in Japan, I can see the potential for a well-done third-person 3D Metroid to gain a foothold where the first-person titles do not. This does, of course, present its own issues that need to be worked through regarding how exactly such a title will work.

Ideally, there's room for 2D, first-person, and third-person 3D lines to coexist, especially with development times and the length of time that creates between follow-ups. Further, the variety could help the series to keep feeling fresh, even with the core similarities among titles.

I would hope Other M has not dampened any such possibility. There were other issues there, and the idea of going third-person 3D wasn't inherently bad.

You're getting pushback for this, but I've said similar. It's not that FromSoft's Elden Souls output and Metroid are interchangeable in any way, but it's indicative that different attributes that are oft suggested will necessarily keep Metroid in the dark need not hold the series back as much as indicated, nor do they necessarily need change to avoid that fate.

Of course, this also depends on what is meant by "the masses," but then there's the question of how much of that is necessary.

There are similarities and there are differences. The point isn't that the series are entirely similar.

The point is that different attributes are oft insisted as elements that need thrown out for Metroid to thrive. FromSoft's Souls and Souls-adjacent indicate, with their own use of such and similar attributes, that this isn't inherently the case. The exploration, with the world that loops in on itself and presents shortcuts and opens up as one progresses*; the more subdued and cryptic storytelling, filled with lore and lacking in overt plot focus; the isolation, melancholy, or otherwise oppressive atmosphere -- these are all points that are suggested as inherently detractive of Metroid's potential, keeping it from being even truly viable, but the suggestions clearly don't hold. There's nothing that means these must be jettisoned.

No, Dark Souls isn't a metroidvania. It doesn't have the ability gating of Metroid, doesn't have the same form of progression. It has stats. The combat is different. And so forth. This doesn't negate the point given.

One point I've seen to decry comparison is that Souls is focused on the boss battles, but boss battles have also been discussed as a notable point for Echoes and for Dread.
The elements people are using as points of direct comparison, that they for Dark Souls and thus Metroid has no reason to change, is a fallacy because those elements they do share are used in different ways and to different effectiveness.

From's Souls games, for example, are loaded with memorable characters that the player interacts with regularly, whether they're beaten down warriors hanging by an emotional thread, eccentric weirdos, or that asshole Patches, who seemingly exists to just fuck with you. You're never truly isolated, as alone as you may be in the depths of a cavern.

A lack of optional content doesn't seem integral to the Metroid experience, either. The prospect of such being added more into future entries has been discussed in related threads on this site. I suspect it would be largely welcomed.

I suppose the point here is that simply saying that the series are different just doesn't really explain why that should matter to what has actually been put forth.

*drawing, here, primarily from the first Dark Souls. I understand the later entries veered from this sort of world design, but the construction of the first game leaned a lot more toward how a Metroid title would be designed, albeit with key items and without ability gating, which does make a big difference.

The main character is player-created and can be whatever manner of abomination you set your mind toward and have the appropriate ability to create.

On that note, I suspect you do know who or what the main character of Metroid is, regardless of whether you've played it.

[/shakeshead] I can't believe you didn't remember him.

Yeah, you're pretty spot on. As someone who is obsessed with Metroid that became obsessed with FROM's work in the 2010's, Dark Souls was literally the only game that ever reminded me of Metroid Prime, and even the OG Metroid (and OG Zelda). I think they definitely share some DNA and are cut from a similar cloth. And like you said, there are plenty of differences, but things like being lost, isolated, cryptic storytelling, having a dark atmosphere, and trying to make your way through what is essentially a giant dungeon are things they both have, and players are way more open to those kinds of things now.

I think Metroid absoultely has the potential to grow more, especially in the west. Dread became the best selling Metroid as a full priced 2d game, and Prime R got no marketing and is a 2002 game. The real test will be Prime 4. If it's a great game I expect it to do 5+ million, as 3D games have higher potential these days. I'm not sure if there's anything to get Japan to like Metroid though. That's the more of the question to me. It does decent everywhere else.

The elements people are using as points of direct comparison, that they for Dark Souls and thus Metroid has no reason to change, is a fallacy because those elements they do share are used in different ways and to different effectiveness.

From's Souls games, for example, are loaded with memorable characters that the player interacts with regularly, whether they're beaten down warriors hanging by an emotional thread, eccentric weirdos, or that asshole Patches, who seemingly exists to just fuck with you. You're never truly isolated, as alone as you may be in the depths of a cavern.

The Soulsbornekiroring games are some of my favorites of all time, and I couldn't name a single side character, or tell you what the games are even about. A lot of people play these games purely for the gameplay and atmosphere.

Are you sure, Did FROM send out a survey, or what are you basing it on?
Why should your "I don't care about any of this" attitude matter in this discussion? That you don't care doesn't mean it's not meaningful or worthwhile to many players that enjoy the stories, characters, and lore from a surface-level perspective or digging in deep on every bit of description on weapons and items.

The point is that it's there in Souls and has an impact on the atmosphere and interaction with the world.

Why should your "I don't care about any of this" attitude matter in this discussion? That you don't care doesn't mean it's not meaningful or worthwhile to many players that enjoy the stories, characters, and lore from a surface-level perspective or digging in deep on every bit of description on weapons and items.

The point is that it's there in Souls and has an impact on the atmosphere and interaction with the world.

My attitude doesn't matter. I just don't personally think it's one of the main reasons people play the games. One of the most common complaints I see is about how slowly people talk in the games, and how they'll spam X to skip the dialogue.

My attitude doesn't matter. I just don't personally think it's one of the main reasons people play the games. One of the most common complaints I see is about how slowly people talk in the games, and how they'll spam X to skip the dialogue.
Then you must live under a rock if you haven't ever encountered the sizable number of fans that care about Souls beyond "It's hard, bruh."

Then again...

...I don't think media literacy is your strong point if you view Metroid as some underappreciated genius the plebs are too dense to understand.

because they are niche games well received among their niche. they just don't appeal to most people.

same reason all you buttholes ignored harvestella.

Then you must live under a rock if you haven't ever encountered the sizable number of fans that care about Souls beyond "It's hard, bruh."

Then again...

...I don't think media literacy is your strong point if you view Metroid as some underappreciated genius the plebs are too dense to understand.

Of course those things are discussed and appreciated, as every aspect of iconic games are. It's hardly one of the things that defines the series though. We're talking about why people play certain games and don't play others. Tell me with a straight face that what draws most people to Souls games is the quirky characters. That's me saying that aspect have the game has zero importance though.

And yes, Metroid is underappreciated, that's literally what this thread is about. You are free to have your opinion about it, as is everyone. But they're literally all over best game of all time lists. They created an entire genre of video games. Prime came out and swept Game Developers Choice awards. Nintendo's direct competition namedrops people who worked on the series to advertise their own games. It's not unusual to lament that low effort cash in's can sell millions while something that took years of vision and heart and talent struggles to break through. But that's not me telling people they shouldn't like what they like.

If we are bringing From Software into this: Dark Souls is also partly carried by its RPG elements to make the game more welcoming. Contrary to popular belief, Dark Souls is actually fairly accessible and Elden Ring really smoothed out more edges from the formula to appeal to way more people, like open world, no degrading weapons, basically no penalty for dying versus other games like Dark Souls 2 and Demon's Souls, insane cheese to curbstomp every boss, etc.

Sekiro is not as popular sales-wise as the rest (5 mil versus Dark Souls 3 at 10 mil back in 2020, likely more in further favor of DS3 now) because it eshews many of said welcoming elements. Dying almost always makes you lose half of your skill points unless you get a random Unseen Aid proc, leveling up does not let you out-stat bosses in a traditional sense, cheese strategies require much more skill to pull off, you don't have as much options to deal with things, and more importantly it ACTUALLY largely demands you git gud compared to Dark Souls. And honestly come to think of it, that's very similar to Metroid, moreso than any other From Software game. And guess what? Sekiro is predictably not as popular as the rest of their catalog.

So yeah, all those games that have had mega break-out hits have had RPG elements. Zelda, God of War 2018, Elden Ring, Horizon, etc. And I think it wouldn't be a direction I'd necessarily want for Metroid at first glance.

The Soulsbornekiroring games are some of my favorites of all time, and I couldn't name a single side character, or tell you what the games are even about. A lot of people play these games purely for the gameplay and atmosphere.
I'm in a similar camp, but only a little. What I mean by that is I find Bloodborne to be a masterpiece, but if you asked me why all that horrible stuff was going down in Yharnam, I could only really explain it to you in broad strokes. I actually love that, though, since not knowing what the hell is going on adds so much to the surreal, nightmarish, interdimensionally off-kilter world FromSoft managed to create. It substantially enhances the experience for me, as opposed to detracting from it.

As for the characters: some of them are memorable, but I wouldn't say they're a huge factor as to why I've enjoyed the Souslikes I've played. There are a couple of cool characters, like Eileen the Crow, but just as many (if not more) are Jim Bobs. That could be viewed as a strength as well, depending on one's point of view. I'll say I do like how FromSoft's worlds treat the bulk of their characters with indifference. Most of them aren't highlighted or upheld by the game as especially important, and often times, you may even miss them outright, but that's such a breath of fresh air compared to the way other games handle their NPCs.

(Btw: I feel it's very much worth noting that people actually do form these little fanbases around characters such as Eileen the Crow, or Alfred. Hailinel is spot-on about that. I can't believe how much Alfred fan art I've seen, particularly from the Japanese side of the fandom on Twitter. They really do adore that bloke.)

The thing about Soulsborne is that while you don't have to care about the characters, they're still there to be cared about. That choice allows for a larger fanbase than without, regardless of which side is the one the audience sides on the most. Metroid...doesn't really have characters. Even Prime tends to toss its characters aside after one game. At the same time, that level of solitude is what makes Metroid so intriguing to those who play it.

No, you're just insinuating people are sheep with no real taste.

And what I'm saying is if Nintendo wants Metroid to attract a larger audience, the status quo isn't going to do that.

I guess you just have to end all posts with /s now. It was a reply to an equally sarcastic post. I further elaborated on what I meant but you simply aren't getting it, or just choosing to latch onto that one thing that was said in jest.

Getting fixated on one reason is pointless. There's never only going to be one reason why Metroid isn't popular. It's a multitude of things.

People like Souls games better than Metroid because they're better games. Metroid hasn't had a great game since Metroid Prime.

You can have a personal opinion about which is better, but objectively when it comes to critic and fan reception to Fusion, Zero Mission, Prime 2, Prime 3, Samus Returns, and Dread have been comparable to what the Souls games have received.

Tons of different factors, really.

One I've noticed is that really popular things usually have varied casts. Look at your danganronpas and undertales, as well as as any other fandom and people will likely talk about characters. Metroid pretty much has one. Even games like Dark Souls and Hollow Knight have plenty of characters for people to joke about and latch onto. Metroid has... Zoomers?

More action-oriented gameplay might not appeal to casual audience as much as more relaxed pace of Zelda and other games. It's not really a "take your time" game, and even if it can be, lack of a more sprawling world prevents you from doing whatever. It's very much all gameplay from beginning to end, with barely any story.

The fact that games are fairly short also can be a negative for some, who would rather spend their money on a 30-100 hour adventure.

Frankly, I'd be into Metroid reinventing itself into a more Hollow Knight-like game. Some non-hostile NPCs would be nice to see, as well as shedding some traditions. What bothered me about Dread is that exploration really doesn't feel natural when you need a Morph Ball or a Wave Beam for the 100th time. I'd rather see some new power-ups and maybe optional goodies that aren't missiles.

Metroid has... Zoomers?
It has boomers too! Check out this old bloke! You don't think Admiral Dane is at least on-par with Sans Undertale?

Mk4BByz.png

Back
Top Bottom