• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Why do you think Metroid does not sell as well as zelda despite having some of the best recieved games ever?

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
We all know throught it's lifetime metroid has not sold as well as some of its heavy hitters especially compared to zelda. Why do you think that is, quality wise metroid has some if the highest rated games ever some metroid games even surpass some mainline zelda games in score. Masterpieces like super metroid, prime and dread. The quality is there so why is it not selling as well as something like zelda?

Metroid games are one giant Zelda dungeon. There's no room to relax, no towns, no giant grassy fields, no NPCs to talk to, you are always on a mission on this hostile alien planet... and that's what makes them great, but it means it's just not going to be for everyone. People who are into the franchise and the genre love that feeling of getting lost but for most people it's just frustrating.

I feel like @Wockio already kinda nailed it in one, but some people simply aren't interested in Metroid despite its quality, and others (myself among them) simply aren't interested in Zelda despite its popularity.

Metroid, by design, isn't really a property that could ever have widespread mainstream appeal. It's very unique in Nintendo's portfolio.

• It isn't cute, family friendly, or brightly adventurous in the way much of Nintendo's bigger properties are. A notable source of inspiration behind it is a horror movie about a killer alien aboard a spaceship.

• It has next to no characters outside of Samus herself, and its settings are most often a blend of dark, lonely, and hostile.

• Limited guidance in most entries in the series can lead to players getting lost, and subsequently frustrated at not knowing how to progress.

There's other reasons too, but these are a few of the main ones. No matter how good certain things are (and I think Metroid is phenomenal!), they're not gonna be for everyone, and that's okay. The only way Metroid could ever hope to become a potential sales juggernaut is by abandoning all the things that make it so unique, and so great. I like its lonely, oppressive atmosphere, frequent horror vibes, unique protagonist among the rest of Nintendo's characters, and so on. I wouldn't wanna see those core elements ditched in favor of palatability to a wider audience.

For many of the folks who do like Metroid, it resonates hard, and it's always been my #1 favorite series ever.

Oh god. This is going to be a particularly obnoxious thread.

Anyways, I think the biggest reason is because Metroid doesn't have characters or faces that people can connect with. People really care about having a character like Link to self insert into, or a character like Zelda to connect with, and Metroid doesn't have that. Going further, Metroid doesn't even really deliver on the power fantasy elements in a way that is compelling to general audiences. In Metroid the power fantasy has to be earned, and while that's also true in a game like Zelda, your character isn't continuously put into an oppressive atmosphere in quite the same way. Zelda doesn't punch down as much thematically, the power fantasy is more innate.

I also think it's probably the case that people are more likely to quit Metroid than quit Zelda due to not knowing what to do next, even though both Metroid and Classic Zelda can have some cryptic puzzles. The backtracking probably makes it worse.

wish I was a mod to shut down this thread before things get ugly

nothing worse than your favourite franchise about to be shit on

Minimalist story and characters immediately puts it in a category of more niche games. That said we've seen From break through in similar circumstances, but sci-fi is inherently less appealing any fantasy genre.

Design wise, now more than ever 3rd person games are dominating commercially, so there's an open question as to whether sticking with first person is also holding back the franchise a bit. Dread as a purely 2D game being such a significant step forward in sales for the franchise in Japan, and worldwide of course, is probably indicative of something. Particularly in comparison to MPR which bombed in Japan.

The ceiling for Metroidvanias doesn't seem like it's that high. It's kind of a niche genre. It's been said already, but not everyone finds navigating a labyrinth, getting lost, probably coming to a dead end or two and getting frustrated during the playthrough quite as inviting as roaming around Hyrule.

Dead Cells (also a roguelike, which tend to peak slightly higher at the top) is over 5 mil, Dread is over 3, the rest, including all Castlevanias and Hollow Knight and Ori and all that, are somewhere below that. Though I could be forgetting a game.

That said, I think the Prime games also being shooters (at least in presentation) give it additional sales potential I don't think has been fully realized yet. But it'll never be Zelda level. Even pre-BotW Zelda level. Zelda is a more accessible genre, a more welcoming world (by design), a more visible and marketed series, especially in Japan, and especially now that it's open-world.

Because first person is the worst thing ever to happen to the Metroid series. First person games are hell on my learning disability. It won’t break any new ground until they fix the gameplay.

What's weird for me is that I generally prefer fantasy over sci-fi. But Metroid has this hold on me that no other game series does. Despite my love for grand adventures, I find the moody, introspective elements of Metroid pulling me back time and again. And I kinda like that I'm part of a minority with similar tastes. I only want the series sales to explode so Nintendo will be forced to make more.

Oh god. This is going to be a particularly obnoxious thread.

Anyways, I think the biggest reason is because Metroid doesn't have characters or faces that people can connect with. People really care about having a character like Link to self insert into, or a character like Zelda to connect with, and Metroid doesn't have that. Going further, Metroid doesn't even really deliver on the power fantasy elements in a way that is compelling to general audiences. In Metroid the power fantasy has to be earned, and while that's also true in a game like Zelda, your character isn't continuously put into an oppressive atmosphere in quite the same way. Zelda doesn't punch down as much thematically, the power fantasy is more innate.

I also think it's probably the case that people are more likely to quit Metroid than quit Zelda due to not knowing what to do next, even though both Metroid and Classic Zelda can have some cryptic puzzles. The backtracking probably makes it worse.
Solid post! I'll just say though, that the thread doesn't have to be obnoxious. We can use it to talk about what we love!

To share from personal experience: growing up, Samus was always my favorite power fantasy. She was my #1, and still is. I wanted a cool suit just like hers! A gun for an arm, various beams and missiles, being able to run at lightning speed and shoot across the screen like a rocket (Speed Booster / Shinespark), becoming a spinning ball of death (Screw Attack) that could fly (Space Jump)... it was all just so incredibly awesome to me. A kid with a sword and shield is fine and all, but I just got nothing out of it, by comparison. It's not really my power fantasy.

It was totally irrelevant to me that Samus was a blonde white woman, and I very much wasn't. The feeling of wanting to shoot beams and missiles at aliens for a righteous cause is what got me to love her so much. That's how I connected with her. Stan Lee once talked about how he was proud of the fact that Spider-Man's costume conceals his race (back when Peter Parker was the only Spider-Man, obviously), because then any kid could envision themselves as the hero. For me, it was a similar thing with Samus, but in regards to race and gender. That's powerful!

2D Metroid games has more potential, 3D metroidvanias are not that atractive because you lose alot of map awereness and scale. If someone can push 2D metroidvanias to next level of sells it has to be Hollow Knight, Castelvania and Metroid. Hope MercurySteam and Team Cherry can make it.

Outside from the gameplay aspects people have mentioned, sci-fi generally just isn't a broadly popular gaming genre, especially a dark, slow-paced methodical game like Metroid. Compare it to the Dead Space series and you'll see what I mean.

I also think it is the black sheep of Nintendo fandom, a series that lacks colorful characters and inviting, playful worlds. I know tons of people who are lifelong Nintendo fans and have never touched a Metroid game, bounced off the ones they did, or took decades before getting into the series (hi). So people who are generally attracted to Nintendo's "style" will probably be less likely to vibe with Metroid in that regard. But with Dread's success, I think the series has room to grow, even if it will never be a Mario/Zelda level franchise.

On a side note, fans generally overrate the role critical reception has in a game's commercial success. I doubt most people who buy video games would even know what Metacritic is if you asked them.

2D Metroid games has more potential, 3D metroidvanias are not that atractive because you lose alot of map awereness and scale. If someone can push 2D metroidvanias to next level of sells it has to be Hollow Knight, Castelvania and Metroid. Hope MercurySteam and Team Cherry can make it.
even hollow knight seems to have a ceiling, it only sold 3 million, the same as dread. It felt like online it sold way more

Because first person is the worst thing ever to happen to the Metroid series. First person games are hell on my learning disability. It won’t break any new ground until they fix the gameplay.
It's a bummer to hear about the effect first-person games have on you. I know some folks get motion sickness from the perspective as well, so it's a shame about it being a wholly inaccessible game type for some. That said, I don't think this is really in line with the question the thread is asking, since the GameCube release of Metroid Prime is still among the best-selling games in the series. I don't think abandoning the perspective is likely to lead to the series "breaking new ground", since there are still other, more prominent factors at play that've been posted.

I really lean to it (mostly?) being the lack of a lot of characters for people to connect with. When Metroid Dread came out I saw a lot of fanart of Raven Beak and I feel like that popularity could have been capitalized on had they not just killed him off in the very same game he debuted in.

I'm sure there's gameplay quirks that can be considered annoying outside of the dedicated base (the backtracking especially), but I feel newer titles are better about that. Curious to see how Metroid Prime 4 handles that.

Ultimately, I'm okay if it stays a niche series. I just want it to keep being made.

Also, I started Dread earlier today and I have to say it is interesting to compare it to a game like Super. Super is easily my favorite game in the series, but I think the days of a Metroid game dropping you into a map and saying "GL HF" are in the past. Even Fusion was clearly designed knowing it would be a lot of people's first Metroid, guiding the player throughout. I don't think this approach is worse, just different. Given that Dread instantly became the best selling Metroid, I wouldn't expect that to change in future titles, at least the 2D ones, and hopefully Metroid 6 retains most of the people who bought Dread.

Hot take but I just think the “Metroidvania” genre has a hard ceiling sales-wise.
I dunno, the genre still seems to be growing, albeit slowly, considering where it was back in like the GBA/DS era of selling a couple hundred thousand units at best. Structurally Souls, the recent Jedi games, and even the RE2 & RE4 remakes are all varying degrees of Metroidvania-ish, so I don't think the design is entirely unappealing commercially considering how much those games have sold, but you need the right presentation up front to get people on board. Given that all of those games happen to be 3rd person, so I'm going to fall back to that as far as where this series needs to go to sell more.

even hollow knight seems to have a ceiling, it only sold 3 million, the same as dread. It felt like online it sold way more
That 3 million number is from 2019, and very early on in it's life as far as when it really started blowing up. We've never had an update since. The game has been perched as a top seller on digital platforms ever since, and remains a streaming favorite, so I would definitely expect that it's sold far more than that by now. Maybe we'll get an update once Silksong is ready.

Last edited:
Going first-person is a big part of its popularity - Prime 1 was the best selling game in the series for nearly 20 years, and is seen as its SM64 or OoT. And Dread, on Switch, didn't even beat that Gamecube game by that much. Prime 4 is probably gonna do some impressive (for Metroid) numbers as well.

I question whether that's true. I can understand the argument based on parallels like 2D Marios having a higher ceiling than 3D Marios given their extreme accessibility and ground-level simplicity.

But on the other hand, 2D Metroidvanias, while in a sense a subset of the platformer, are inherently designed to not be highly accessible. You're literally being thrown into a maze with limited supplies. It's not like you have much of the map awareness and scale to begin with in those games. Deliberately so. You gain them as you progress, but that may just be an off-putting aspect of the genre design to some.

3D Metroidvanias may retain those elements, but in that shift, they tend to adopt some aspect of a more popular genre. For Metroid it was an FPS. Of course it's not an FPS in the traditional sense, but it will do better in appealing to that wider audience. One could argue other evolutions of the genre into 3D lead to things like the Souls games and the Arkham series, which have Metroidvania aspects but cross-pollinated with other stuff as well.

Dead Cells (also a roguelike, which tend to peak slightly higher at the top) is over 5 mil, Dread is over 3, the rest, including all Castlevanias and Hollow Knight and Ori and all that, are somewhere below that. Though I could be forgetting a game.
Hollow Knight is actually above 3 million by now. It hit 2.8 million in February of 2019, so it's probably close to if not above 4 million by now.

That being said, there is something to be said about how sword and sorcery just seems more popular in the indie space. I feel like the amount of Symphony of the Night clones or Souls clones is fairly disproportional to the Metroid clones. Part of that I think is just those formulas allow for level ups, which allows for consistent progression, and thus consistent dopamine. Which is extra funny, because Igavanias were not actually nearly as popular as Metroid. I'm pretty sure the only ones that passed a million were Symphony (which was never confirmed in it's original run, we just know it sold 700k+ in Japan and the United States combined) and Circle of the Moon, which isn't even an Iga game.

The Resident Evil 2 devs have said that the remake is a Metroidvania, and that game sold 12.6 million copies. The Souls games also have very similar level design. I get it's not ability gated exploration and you usually don't have to memorize stuff, but that's also true for parts of other Metroidvanias.

- I would say the sorta "dingy, hard scifi" aesthetic probably isn't as appealing to a wider audience as bright and colorful fantasy; even at its darkest, Zelda still has more of an upbeat levity to it than pretty much any Metroid setting

- not a ton of marketable characters; you can make Samus look cool on a t-shirt and that's about it. Most people aren't gonna buy a Mother Brain plush or a Ridley lunchbox, for example. Makes it hard to build mindshare.

- target audience skews at least slightly older than most Nintendo series. Like, it's not necessarily a mature horror game, but I think your average parent would feel more comfortable letting a 5-year-old mess around with BotW or Link's Awakening than Dread or Prime Remastered, y'know?

- brevity: especially lately, I've noticed "dollars per hour" becoming a (frustratingly) common way for people to "objectively" assess whether a game is worth playing, and a single playthrough of a Metroid game tends to fall on the shorter side

- I think most entries being either 2D or 1st person probably does limit the reach. People have weird hang-up about paying full-price for a 2D game nowadays, and the biggest mainstream single-player breakouts are pretty much always 3rd person over-the-shoulder fare

- the big one (at least imo):Metroid and metroidvanias overall to me seem like they're mostly "gamers' games"; very systems/mechanics-focused and more obtuse in direction and goals because they sorta go in assuming you're already familiar with basic video game "language". They're pretty much all "do" with not a lot in the way of cutscenes or NPCs or general downtime. The kind of thing that "core gamers" eat up but more casual audiences have a hard time getting into. Mass appeal usually means simple premises and gameplay like "go right until you reach the end of the level, beat Bowser" or "make your way to the castle, defeat Ganon", and not "wander around until you find X, use X to go back to that dead-end from before to open up a path to Y, which you can then use to..." and so on.

Essentially, I think it's less one major reason and more a lot of little reasons that add up. I still think it's possible for Metroid to find more mainstream success without abandoning it's core identity, but imo it's just fighting a much more uphill battle than Zelda ever was.

Most people aren't gonna buy a Mother Brain plush or a Ridley lunchbox
I'm a superfan who owns a bunch of series merch, and even I probably wouldn't buy a Mother Brain plush. I'm beyond uncomfortable with welcoming this level of ratchet into my home:
mJEKAHE.png

I'm a superfan who owns a bunch of series merch, and even I probably wouldn't buy a Mother Brain plush. I'm beyond uncomfortable with welcoming this level of ratchet into my home:
Alternatively:
gjyVEVh.jpg

HvO8WNe.jpg

wtlA3cM.jpg

I think there are a lot of people who aren't interested in metroid but would love it if they actually tried it.
This is me.
Nintendo systems since the SNES zelda , Mario, every game under the sun except for Metroid. Metroid Prime remaster comes out and I try it one weekend because I’m bored, one of the greatest games I have ever played. Reminded me of games like Zelda , Dk64 etc etc. I don’t know why I was never drawn to it, but I feel like I have wasted 30 years of not living this Franchise. I guess it’s because it just never connected with me but once played, omfg.

Because Metroid can't crawl...

Seriously

1. Sci- Fi themed
2. Samus is as lone wolf
3. You explore wasteland and enemys
4. No NPC's or relationships at all

Metroid is good for what it is. But it's special and therefore not for everyone

Just my two cents, I think one factor is that Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, etc have all become pop culture icons outside of video games, despite being video games.
You'll see people who have never touched a video game wear that green triforce shirt and can tell you what Pikachu is.

But Metroid is influential in video games only, and basically non existant outside of hardcore video game audiences, which is a much smaller bubble than most people realize. It never managed to break that barrier and get large amounts of non gamers invested in the world, inside the bubble.

I think we have to consider Metroid isnt just competing with other Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda, it's competing with other sci-fi in general, a very crowded genre with lots of competition, and Metroid doesnt really have anything that managed to stand out amongst the likes of stuff like Star Wars or Halo.

Samus herself is iconic, but the top Nintendo franchises all have really unique and marketable things that set them apart, and I think Metroid never managed to convince people it was more than just a regular Sci Fi that they've seen a million times, especially nowdays.

As already noted, it's a bit of an odd duck compared to Nintendo's usual lineup, so there isn't as much overlap between fans of it and other Nintendo franchises. Metroid isn't necessarily all that dark or gritty, but it's still far too removed tonally from even Nintendo's other T-rated franchises due to lacking much levity, so you aren't going to see that many people who are into other Nintendo titles give Metroid a chance based on that, even if it isn't all that removed gameplay-wise from Mario or Zelda.

I feel it really comes down to those lack of characters.

It also doesn't help that the series is split into two distinct storylines with very different approaches to said story.

You have the 2D series which tries to present a more complex figure of Samus and a very rich enemy lore. Big organizations are what Samus fights against, going at it solo in this sort of mercenary operation.

Prime tries to go a little campier and superhero like, with Samus being like the lone saviour of the galaxy and everyone worships the ground at her feet, which does not leave a lot of room for equal partnerships.

It really is telling that two of Metroid's Smash reps are villains when every other game has heroes outnumbering their baddies.

It also doesn't help that the series is split into two distinct storylines with very different approaches to said story.

You have the 2D series which tries to present a more complex figure of Samus and a very rich enemy lore. Big organizations are what Samus fights against, going at it solo in this sort of mercenary operation.

Prime tries to go a little campier and superhero like, with Samus being like the lone saviour of the galaxy and everyone worships the ground at her feet, which does not leave a lot of room for equal partnerships.

It really is telling that two of Metroid's Smash reps are villains when every other game has heroes outnumbering their baddies.
Regardless of the difference in approach between 2D and Prime, I do really like the fact that her big heart is so emphasized across both. One of my favorite Samus moments is the ending to Echoes, with her having just selflessly saved a whole civilization during the period her ship spent repairing itself, before walking off with a "No need to thank me" wave. Just another ordinary day for Samus.

I think there are a lot of people who aren't interested in metroid but would love it if they actually tried it.
This is the sad truth. Never thought I’d be interested in the series until one day on a whim I bought and played Super Metroid, really can’t even remember why, and the rest is history. Favorite franchise of all time. I wish everyone could go through the same thing, there’s sure to be others out there like me.

But it’s not like Nintendo’s other franchises tonally, doesn’t have characters to market besides Samus, and the thing that makes metroid so special (atmosphere that absorbs you as you get to know a sprawling map like the back of your hand) is nearly impossible to convey in a trailer.

Quite simply everything about it has more niche appeal. Is this a problem? Not in the least. Quite frankly they're Nintendo's best two active franchises.

The good news is we have both and they scratch a completely different itch... one a contained adventure of solitude and the other of a sprawling epic quest in a massive world,

but at their core Nintendo veterans will be able to spot Nintendo's familiar design philosophies and soul behind both.

What's weird for me is that I generally prefer fantasy over sci-fi. But Metroid has this hold on me that no other game series does. Despite my love for grand adventures, I find the moody, introspective elements of Metroid pulling me back time and again. And I kinda like that I'm part of a minority with similar tastes. I only want the series sales to explode so Nintendo will be forced to make more.
I think there's an argument to be made that Metroid leans more "sci-fantasy" in a similar way that Star Wars does, rather than just being pure sci-fi.

Besides all the jokes to be made about "bird magic", there's a lot of other things about the series way utilizes such things like "DNA" in a nonsensical way, let alone the pure power fantasy that Samus exudes.

It's the kind of thing that I think people would wholly love, if more gave the series a chance and perhaps if the series gives more reason to connect with Samus, herself.

I really lean to it (mostly?) being the lack of a lot of characters for people to connect with. When Metroid Dread came out I saw a lot of fanart of Raven Beak and I feel like that popularity could have been capitalized on had they not just killed him off in the very same game he debuted in.
And this, too.

Like I said in another topic: one of Metroid's biggest problems is that Samus has next to nothing in the form of a recurring, identifiable cast. Raven Beak, Dark Samus, and even ol' Ridley (in the main timeline)...they all dead. LOL

It's one of the reasons I'm HOPING that all this time that Tanabe and Retro have clearly been cooking up something with Sylux on the Prime side of things actually leads somewhere. Samus desperately needs a "Vergil" (Devil May Cry) style rival in her life to act as a counter to her as a character and for the sake of gameplay. But more importantly? Sylux has got to be able to stick around for the long haul.

It would be nice if we had a rogues gallery that didn't die after every game.

You can have a beloved series where the appeal is largely on the villains. Look at batman, outside of a very intimate group, his main series is focused heavily on his villains. But his villains don't live in a vacuum, they interact and scheme against one another. They work together.

Regardless of the difference in approach between 2D and Prime, I do really like the fact that her big heart is so emphasized across both. One of my favorite Samus moments is the ending to Echoes, with her having just selflessly saved a whole civilization during the period her ship spent repairing itself, before just walking off with a "No need to thank me" wave. Just another ordinary day for
As an isolated scene its awesome, taken as a whole it is a bit indicative of the different storyline choice of Tanabe's team vs Sakamoto's. The mercenary and the superhero.

I don't think Sakamoto would ever have a scene like that in his games. Considering his Samus regularly leaves a path of destruction in her wake. Its telling most of his games end with planets blowing up.

I think there's an argument to be made that Metroid leans more "sci-fantasy" in a similar way that Star Wars does, rather than just being pure sci-fi.

Besides all the jokes to be made about "bird magic", there's a lot of other things about the series way utilizes such things like "DNA" in a nonsensical way, let alone the pure power fantasy that Samus exudes.

It's the kind of thing that I think people would wholly love, if more gave the series a chance and perhaps if the series gives more reason to connect with Samus, herself.

And this, too.

Like I said in another topic: one of Metroid's biggest problems is that Samus has next to nothing in the form of a recurring, identifiable cast. Raven Beak, Dark Samus, and even ol' Ridley (in the main timeline)...they all dead. LOL

It's one of the reasons I'm HOPING that all this time that Tanabe and Retro have clearly been cooking up something with Sylux on the Prime side of things actually leads somewhere. Samus desperately needs a "Vergil" (Devil May Cry) style rival in her life to act as a counter to her as a character and for the sake of gameplay. But more importantly? Sylux has got to be able to stick around for the long haul.
Yeah she’s honestly had some great rivals. Dark Samus and Raven Beak in particular were executed very well in terms of the presence they conveyed every time they were on screen.

Samus having a Vergil-like rival each game is very fitting for the series’ tone and structure, the next challenge is using that to get a bit more character development in (for both Samus and said rival). Someone she can bounce off of, maybe even throughout multiple games. Someone who Samus could have a big confrontation with after which their motives and backstory can leave you intrigued and feeling a variety of emotions as you ponder in solitude while exploring after said confrontation.

Last edited:
Yeah she’s honestly had some great rivals. Dark Samus and Raven Beak in particular were executed very well in terms of the presence they conveyed every time they were on screen.

Samus having a Vergil-like rival each game is very fitting for the series’ tone and structure, the next challenge is using that to get a bit more character development in (for both Samus and said rival). Someone she can bounce off of, maybe even throughout multiple games.
When I was younger, I used to always imagine the rivalries and fights between Samus and all the other bounty hunters.

Characters that are technically not enemies, but not friends either.

I think of it like some of the wandering NPCs of Hollow Knight and how charming they are, but their stories are separate and active. They only intersect with yours depending on certain actions you take.

I ... really don't take it that way, wow. I take it pretty much exactly the opposite. Metroid Dread literally had Samus doing anime poses and screams during cutscenes. I feel like pretty much from Fusion onward, while the series has focused on the oppressiveness a lot with the SA-X or EMMIs, it's also focused on making Samus seem like a big badass. You literally had stuff like the ending sequence of Zero Mission, which is probably the most empowering moment in the entire franchise. And Dread's sequence comes very close as well. Whereas in the Prime games even with how powerful she is and the fact that she's the lone helper (which is also true of the 2D games, and she even has a team in Prime 3), how badass Samus is is often interpretive due to the perspective. You even have cutscenes like Samus mourning her friends. She even needs a group of people to help her initially in Prime 3.

I also find it kind of weird to imply that the 2D games have more complex portrayals of villany. I'm not sure how it is in Prime 3 (haven't played that one) and admittedly Prime 2 is a bit of a step down from 1, but Prime's space pirates in general are probably the most complex enemy faction in the series thanks to the lore dumps. The 2D series even downplays its own complexity at times, like going into Dread the thing I was most curious about was how Samus was essentially almost like an outlaw, and that was essentially dropped (tbf, I think I remember someone saying that it was a bit of a mistranslation or something and it was a rogue faction of the Federation in Fusion, but it's still not something touched on by Dread).

To be honest, the biggest difference is just that the mainline games have a consistent narrative. And I agree that their narrative is stronger, I actually legit really love the storytelling from them. But I'd say these specific takes are pretty much the exact opposite of how I read it, haha.

Samus having a Vergil-like rival each game is very fitting for the series’ tone and structure, the next challenge is using that to get a bit more character development in (for both Samus and said rival). Someone she can bounce off of, maybe even throughout multiple games.
Yep.

I think a lot of the issues about Samus clapping most of her opposition in every game would go away, once we have a designated "rival" for her that can't be dispatched so easily.

Because, hell, it's not like Kirby doesn't leave a path of pure, adorable destruction in his wake, while fending off some other type of eldritch, universex-obliterating monstrosity. The difference is that Kirby's still got Dedede and MetaKnight that have been rolling with him for 30+ years, and those are beloved characters in their own right.

As an isolated scene its awesome, taken as a whole it is a bit indicative of the different storyline choice of Tanabe's team vs Sakamoto's. The mercenary and the superhero.

I don't think Sakamoto would ever have a scene like that in his games. Considering his Samus regularly leaves a path of destruction in her wake. Its telling most of his games end with planets blowing up.
But Samus is blowing up those planets out of necessity! Sometimes, a superhero's just gotta blow up a planet for the good of the galaxy, y'know? The only one that was a conscious choice on her part was SR388, and anyone in her position would've done the same thing.

Even with that though, I do think her more compassionate and selfless nature is showcased well in the 2D saga. I don't find the respective depictions super incongruous or anything. The most significant overarching plot point in 2D Metroid explores the ramifications of leaving the last baby of a predatory species alive, because Samus simply couldn't bring herself to kill it. I do really appreciate the Prime games showcasing the fact that not every planet is simply doomed though... lmao.

I ... really don't take it that way, wow. I take it pretty much exactly the opposite. Metroid Dread literally had Samus doing anime poses and screams during cutscenes. I feel like pretty much from Fusion onward, while the series has focused on the oppressiveness a lot with the SA-X or EMMIs, it's also focused on making Samus seem like a big badass. You literally had stuff like the ending sequence of Zero Mission, which is probably the most empowering moment in the entire franchise. And Dread's sequence comes very close as well. Whereas in the Prime games even with how powerful she is and the fact that she's the lone helper (which is also true of the 2D games, and she even has a team in Prime 3), how badass Samus is is often interpretive due to the perspective. You even have cutscenes like Samus mourning her friends. She even needs a group of people to help her initially in Prime 3.

I also find it kind of weird to imply that the 2D games have more complex portrayals of villany. I'm not sure how it is in Prime 3 (haven't played that one) and admittedly Prime 2 is a bit of a step down from 1, but Prime's space pirates in general are probably the most complex enemy faction in the series thanks to the lore dumps. The 2D series even downplays its own complexity at times, like going into Dread the thing I was most curious about was how Samus was essentially almost like an outlaw, and that was essentially dropped (tbf, I think I remember someone saying that it was a bit of a mistranslation or something and it was a rogue faction of the Federation in Fusion, but it's still not something touched on by Dread).

To be honest, the biggest difference is just that the mainline games have a consistent narrative. And I agree that their narrative is stronger, I actually legit really love the storytelling from them. But I'd say these specific takes are pretty much the exact opposite of how I read it, haha
Superhero vs mercenary doesn't exclude the need for badass posing.

But, I think my comparison is kinda dated, considering what a superhero is has changed a lot since the Prime series was active.

Its more like Samus gets more Superman in Tanabe's work vs Batman with Sakamoto.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel and its Samus being both savior and hero vs the lone mercenary with a heart of gold but surrounded by a lot of tragedy and death.

As for the villains, u didn't say the 2D ones are complex, just big organizations.

For the Prime series, our villain in Dark Samus is a bit closer to some lone wolf (i guess you could consider the singular entity of Phaaze as a villain.) And you have branches of their corruption kinda acting independently to accomplish the singular goal of mass destruction. All "aligned" but technically separate.

Then you have the large scale organizations of the 2D games acting more as Samus vs military. The pirates are a military, Raven Beak commands a military, the federation is, well...

These are just branches of large scale operations which Samus barrels into and destroys from the ground up, the closest thing to a power fantasy to me. The lone wolf takes on the whole mob/government/yakuza/the man/whatever.

Back
Top Bottom