• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Why did the 3DS had a lot of "high-concept" games that never lived up to the hype?

3D Land and Project X Zone 1 and 2 both lived up to my expectations for me entirely. Alliance Alive also looks awesome if you can stomach chibi art style (I totally can).

I also have the take on Codename STEAM that the concept was actually kinda bad, but in spite of this the execution was really good for the first handful of hours but the gameplay loop eventually got old.

Layton vs. Wright and the Pokemon games were definite disappointments though. And of course Paper Mario. I'd also add the Dylan's Rolling Western series, of which I have the same opinion as everyone else: One of the most inspired looking Nintendo IPs in years and years, relegated to a mediocre tower defense game.

I think the biggest offender of "insanely good concept, meh execution" that I can think of was actually a DSiWare game, though: Dragon Quest Wars. For those who don't remember it, it was a Dragon Quest SRPG, developed by Intelligent Systems. In my head I imagined Fire Emblem meets Dragon Quest, basically my two favorite things. In reality, it was extremely light on content and had gameplay more in line with a really basic board game made by someone trying and failing to ape Chess than Fire Emblem.

3D Land kicks ass. I’d pay $60 for a Switch remaster. 3D Land, 3D World, Captain Toad, and Bowser’s Fury are peak Super Mario imo.

I like the 3DS and it has a lot of very good games.
More than on the GBA for example, and as already said here, ever console has games that never used their potential.

I mean look at Pokémon in general. They all still play like Game Boy Color games, look like 2 gens behind and run like shit.
No matter on 3DS or Switch.

Yeah, but Sunshine has some of the best and most memorable moments of the series. Like fighting Mecha-Bowser in the RollerCoaster or cleaning the big fish teeth. 3D Land, on the other hand, has pretty low highs, and it isn't just as memorable as Sunshine.

... Do... Do other people consider those two moments in sunshine specifically as high points? Segments where you can't even make Mario, aka "Jumpman", Jump?

God damn, is that game even worse than I remember?

... Do... Do other people consider those two moments in sunshine specifically as high points? Segments where you can't even make Mario, aka "Jumpman", Jump?

I thought it was consensus that the roller coaster sucked. This thread is bizarro land to me.

No, they were awful. Tried to play Sunshine on 3D All Stars and the squid racing in Ricco Harbour made me quit. 100%ed the game as a kid and I'll leave it in the past lol. Definitely the worst mainline Mario game in terms of replayability.

I really don't understand this thread. The 3ds was amazing and had one of the best gaming libraries.

Let's just take the games you mentioned.

3d Land: For me better and more "challenging" then 3d world

Oras: For me the best pokemon game in the last 10 years.

Code Name Steam: It was a very good and fun game. Not a masterpiece but still great.

Persona Q: Amazing Games.

And so many more outstanding games.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Still the best Monster Hunter game (rise might be equal)

• Zelda a link between worlds
  • Zelda OoT (best version of the best game of all time)
  • Zelda MM
  • Etrian Odyssey Series
  • Kid Icarus
  • Shin Megami tensei series
  • Fire Emblem Series
  • Luigis Mansion
  • Bravely Default
  • Dragon Quest amazing versions
And so many more. I don't know what's not to love about it.

It's the concept of SMB3 realised in 3D, what's not to like without diving into arguments like 2D being inferior or it not being real 3D?
The game just felt very nsmb-esque to me. I didn't know people liked it too much.
On the other hand, I think 3D World had much more identity and memorable levels than its handheld sibling, which is why I sometimes forgot that 3D Land exists.

I didn't know there was so much hate for 3DS. One of Nintendo's best consoles imo
Yesterday was pretty much the first day i’ve ever heard this take about the 3ds being lackluster . I can maybe understand it if the appeal of DS for some were the notable number of third party exclusives , but for me 3ds excelled in a way DS lacked and that was having an actually compelling line up of first party titles . Ultimately i still can’t say i hate any of the nintendo handhelds enough to say literally any of them were bad personally .

The game just felt very nsmb-esque to me. I didn't know people liked it too much.
On the other hand, I think 3D World had much more identity and memorable levels than its handheld sibling, which is why I sometimes forgot that 3D Land exists.
I'd say it's a lot closer to SMB3 than NSMB, it actually tries instead of the lacklustre art style and overused soundtrack of the NSMB games.

Edit: The first NSMB was great mind you, back then it was still fresh and new. The games just felt way too samey after that.

I'd say it's a lot closer to SMB3 than NSMB, it actually tries instead of the lacklustre art style and overused soundtrack of the NSMB games.

Edit: The first NSMB was great mind you, back then it was still fresh and new. The games just felt way too samey after that.
Yea i never once got nsmb vibes from 3d land , it felt like for the first time truly then bringing 2d mario into the 3d realm in a way I could gel with . I think the most notable shows of the stark constrast between the two franchises are simply nsmb2 that released a year later and are worlds apart in aesthetic and feel or you know later on actually seeing the 3d land/world aesthetic realized in 2d in super mario maker 2.

I figured out why the notion "3DS is full of high concept games that didn't live up to the hype" rings true to me even if it isn't.

It's because it's true for the 3DS itself. High concept hardware adding 3D in a handheld format on top of the dual screens gimmick, except 3D quickly got sidelined while the way it compromised the dual screens stuck around.

The games are scapegoats.

I figured out why the notion "3DS is full of high concept games that didn't live up to the hype" rings true to me even if it isn't.

It's because it's true for the 3DS itself. High concept hardware adding 3D in a handheld format on top of the dual screens gimmick, except 3D quickly got sidelined while the way it compromised the dual screens stuck around.

It's weird that it rarely got 3D games. Like I understand that the Wii wasn't exactly the successor to the DC/PS2/GCN/XBOX in terms of variety because it was difficult for publishers to gauge how many Wii owners had access to the Nunchuck/Classic Controller. The 3DS had everything in place to become the next PS2, but instead we got a bunch of super safe games. On the other hand the small games that were risky and cool-sounding never attained classic status like Katamari Damacy, Super Monkey Ball, etc.

I’m much much more willing to say that the 3ds as a hardware and concept by far did not live up to the hype as someone who followed the system from its leak to the hasty confirmation before e3 2010 to that pretty dang good e3 conference to the unbelievable press kit release with every dream game imaginable listed to its eventual release . we still got a system with a pretty amazing game line up out of it in the end but yes , the 3ds as a hardware is a bit of a disappointment especially the glasses-less 3d pitch.

It's weird that it rarely got 3D games. Like I understand that the Wii wasn't exactly the successor to the DC/PS2/GCN/XBOX in terms of variety because it was difficult for publishers to gauge how many Wii owners had access to the Nunchuck/Classic Controller. The 3DS had everything in place to become the next PS2, but instead we got a bunch of super safe games. On the other hand the small games that were risky and cool-sounding never attained classic status like Katamari Damacy, Super Monkey Ball, etc.

The PS2 never had "Handheld ghetto" and "3rd parties don't sell on Nintendo hardware" misconceptions team up to crush its library underfoot.

I’m much much more willing to say that the 3ds as a hardware and concept by far did not live up to the hype as someone who followed the system from its leak to the hasty confirmation before e3 2010 to that pretty dang good e3 conference to the unbelievable press kit release with every dream game imaginable listed to its eventual release . we still got a system with a pretty amazing game line up out of it in the end but yes , the 3ds as a hardware is a bit of a disappointment especially the glasses-less 3d pitch.

The 3DS is my favorite handheld and 3D - glasses or glass-free - doesn't even work with my eyes. Yup, it's all about the games. The hardware gets no credit, except for the DNA inherited from the DS.

I tend to agree with some of the entiment OP ... BUT
Mario 3D land is one of the greatest and Pokemon X is great too.
XY has some great music, I got my first shinies, and completed my living dex... I really don't understand the hate for it.
Mario 3D land is better than 3D world. It has better music, better level design and is more enjoyable overall.

I'll probably get hate for this.

NSMB was good for its time, but it's really hard to go back to after playing NSMB Wii. Wii and U are better in every single way. The art style is samey yea but the same is true for pretty much any iterative sequel ever made.
maybe i should post this in the gaming sins thread, but......

i enjoyed nsmb2
I liked it for what it was, but it's easily the weakest in the NSMB series. The coin mechanic was not significant enough to build a whole game around it, plus it was the only one that didn't introduce a single new powerup.

edit: actually I'm wrong it introduced the Gold flower powerup, but again the gold coin mechanic it brought was not substantial enough

Back
Top Bottom