• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Why did the 3DS had a lot of "high-concept" games that never lived up to the hype?

Not really, those games were always seen as just another entry in middle-shelf series. The premise of this thread is that the 3DS had many firsts (portable 3D Mario, 3D Pokemon, etc.), along with many awesome-sounding games (Layton vs Wright, Codename STEAM, Project X Zone, etc.), but a lot of those are just not very fondly remembered, or even known, by the larger gaming community.
I'm not really sure why you would specifically talk about the 3DS in this case? Every console in history has games in both of these categories.

And tbh, this whole topic of discussion is wildly subjective.... as someone who thinks 3D Land nails everything it was trying to do.

"A new strategy game by Intelligent Systems featuring american heroes fighting lovecraftian monsters. What could possibly go wrong?"
8140DTIYs3L._SL1329_.jpg

Definitely not great.

...what? Codename STEAM was fucking amazing, honestly one of IntSys' best games ever. Amazing gameplay, enticing characters, and incredible music and sound design. I am still completely mad it flopped because this deserved a sequel or two.

It didn't sell well, no, for a lot of understandable but still annoying reasons. Lack of quality definitely wasn't one of them.

Haven't played all of these, but those that I've played I've found more than enjoyable and far from a disappointment.

Like... my big 3DS letdown was Fantasy Life, and a massive amount of people love that title.

Also, uh... People were hyped for Project X Zone? Really? I didn't see a lot of buzz about it and some even mocked Monolith for "wasting their time" on it.

Oh boy, I hope the Sunshine stans don't hear this.
I've made my grief with the game known in this post. I simply cannot understand why anyone would think 3D Land, a game that actually brought Mario into 3D and is enjoyable from start to finish, is worse than the padded mess that is Sunshine.

I enjoyed Mario 64 a lot too, but it's more of an action-adventure game with platforming as the main mechanic. 3D Land actually translated traditional 2D Mario into 3D. They're both great though.

...what? Codename STEAM was fucking amazing, honestly one of IntSys' best games ever. Amazing gameplay, enticing characters, and incredible music and sound design. I am still completely mad it flopped because this deserved a sequel or two.

It didn't sell well, no, for a lot of understandable but still annoying reasons. Lack of quality definitely wasn't one of them.
This person speaks the truth. I really enjoyed my playthrough of Codename Steam. One of my longshot hopes is a sequel for the Switch.

I've made my grief with the game known in this post. I simply cannot understand why anyone would think 3D Land, a game that actually brought Mario into 3D and is enjoyable from start to finish, is worse than the padded mess that is Sunshine.

I enjoyed Mario 64 a lot too, but it's more of an action-adventure game with platforming as the main mechanic. 3D Land actually translated traditional 2D Mario into 3D. They're both great though.
Don't really have much to contribute to this thread (except that I heavily disagree with it for the most part) so I'll just say that Sunshine >>>>>> 3D Bland 😎😏

Yeah, but Sunshine has some of the best and most memorable moments of the series. Like fighting Mecha-Bowser in the RollerCoaster or cleaning the big fish teeth. 3D Land, on the other hand, has pretty low highs, and it isn't just as memorable as Sunshine.

sunshine is memorable in being mediocre/bad so there is that yes . 3d land on the other hand is at least 3rd or 4th best 3d mario game. (i’ll let others figure out the rest )

Yeah, but Sunshine has some of the best and most memorable moments of the series. Like fighting Mecha-Bowser in the RollerCoaster or cleaning the big fish teeth. 3D Land, on the other hand, has pretty low highs, and it isn't just as memorable as Sunshine.
I mean I would take a game that is consistently great than one that has a handful of great moments paired with some otherwise the worst outing mainline Mario has ever seen, personally.

3DS library was pretty awesome

• 3D Land is incredible
  • Pilotwings slaps
  • Star Fox 64 3D is cheating but perfect
  • New Leaf as much as I shit on it was great
  • smaller stuff like Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder was quite good
  • Kirby was so good
  • and likely a lot more I'm forgetting
I really don't agree with this thread, and I think it may have only been disappointing to fans of certain genres; your strongest examples are JRPGs

3DS library was pretty awesome

• 3D Land is incredible
  • Pilotwings slaps
  • Star Fox 64 3D is cheating but perfect
  • New Leaf as much as I shit on it was great
  • smaller stuff like Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder was quite good
  • Kirby was so good
  • and likely a lot more I'm forgetting
I really don't agree with this thread, and I think it may have only been disappointing to fans of certain genres; your strongest examples are JRPGs
Which is funny, because 3DS has an amazing JRPG library. Atlus' stuff alone is incredible.

Sunshine is the New Vegas of 3D Mario: broken, but amazing
3D Land is Fallout 4.
Nah, New Vegas is at its core a great designed game that lacked polish. Sunshine is a mostly poorly to middlingly designed game that also lacked polish.

3D Land to Fallout 4 is a fairly good comparison though, sure.

Quoted by: Yzz
Sunshine is the New Vegas of 3D Mario: broken, but amazing
3D Land is Fallout 4.
I don't know much about Fallout, but based on what I've heard people say about New Vegas vs what they say about Sunshine this just cannot be true

Which is funny, because 3DS has an amazing JRPG library. Atlus' stuff alone is incredible.
Yeah I don't know the JRPG scene at all, that was just my best guess at interpreting the OP lol

I don't know much about Fallout, but based on what I've heard people say about New Vegas vs what they say about Sunshine this just cannot be true

Yeah I don't know the JRPG scene at all, that was just my best guess at interpreting the OP lol
yeah, JRPGs are the one genre where 3DS cannot be said to have underperformed lol.

Tbh I can't parse the OP in any context at all, so I don't blame you for defaulting to a genre you weren't familiar with lol

Also, Code Name: Steam was a solid game. The demo soured a lot of people due to the wait times, but they patched that in dietó that feedback!

What holds up Sunshine is a great atmosphere and sense of place, as well as really fun movement.

Which admittedly counts a LOT for me, which is why it’s above 3D Land imo

Nah, New Vegas is at its core a great designed game that lacked polish. Sunshine is a mostly poorly to middlingly designed game that also lacked polish.

3D Land to Fallout 4 is a fairly good comparison though, sure.

The two games are similar in that they nail the fundamentals of their series (movement and atmosphere for 3D Mario, meaningful choices and grey morality in the case of Fallout), but due to their great ambition and the developers running out of time, the games lacked polish, New Vegas being nearly unplayable at launch. As a result the games weren't super well received at the start.

I'll admit that Sunshine has a few levels that aren't well designed, but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

Alliance Alive is one of my favorite RPGs of the entire 3DS. Fantastic game from start to finish. I don't really know what you'd have against it.

Project X-Zone was perfectly in line with the other crossover games Monolith Soft had already made in the past, Persona Q wasn't super great but Q2 was excellent, and Codename STEAM is super underrated.

3DS was my favorite handheld before the Switch came out, and I've owned pretty much every handheld that's ever been released.

I think its library is fantastic.

The thesis in this OP intuitively seems to rest on a solid foundation, since the 3DS naturally lend itself to innovative approaches by stacking a 3D gimmick on top of the DS's dual screens, but those examples don't back up the case.

Layton vs Phoenix Wright, X Zone, Zip Lash, Persona are only high concept for a very flimsy definition of high concept. Mario 3D Land doesn't belong in the list at all on behalf of being mid concept at best and no less than great. X/Y and OR/AS, while not restrained by HD costs, were still Game Freak's transition to 3D development and done on an inflexible schedule; also, no pokemon game since the first counts as high concept. Code Name S.T.E.A.M. was a gameplay design that would have reached refinement in the sequel it never got because the chosen IP and aesthetic proved unappealing to the market's taste; nothing to do with techical execution or budget.

There's certainly a fair number of novelties on the 3DS. But it's not clear that the amount of games which didn't live up to their hype is larger than average, even without taking into account that untested ideas have a higher risk of going wrong than tried, safe concepts.

Last edited:
The thesis in this OP seems like it rests on a solid foundation, since the 3DS naturally lend itself to innovative approaches by stacking its 3D gimmick on top of the DS's dual screens, but the examples don't back up the case.

Layton vs Phoenix Wright, X Zone, Zip Lash, Persona are only high concept for a very flimsy definition of high concept. Mario 3D Land doesn't belong in the list at all on behalf of being low to mid concept and great. X/Y and HG/SS, while not restrained by HD costs, were still Game Freak's transition to 3D development and done on an inflexible schedule; also, no pokemon game ever was high concept. Code Name S.T.E.A.M. was a concept that would have reached refinement in the sequel it never got because the aesthetic of the IP was unappealing to the market's taste; nothing to do with techical execution or budget.

There's certainly a bigger than average case of novel attempts on the 3DS. But it's not shown that the amount of games which didn't live up the hype is larger than average, even without taking into account that untested ideas have a higher risk of going wrong than tried, safe concepts.
It's true that I stretched the term a lot with stuff like Alliance Alive and Zip Lash (lol). I still argue that 3D Land was huge back in the day because it meant that Nintendo was treating its handheld line like a home console, same thing with Smash 3DS.
Pokemon XY had a lot of hype back in the day. It was the first game in the series to get a simultaneous international release, and the only game aside from G/S that introduced a new type (and rebalanced the entire type chart). Stuff like Pokemon Amie was a wet dream that a lot of fans (myself included) had for all the DS generation.
The marketing was also positioning the game as the renaissance of the series, alluding a lot to Gen 1 nostalgia and bringing the "Gotta catch 'em all" slogan for the first time in years. A new anime retelling Red's story was also released alongside the game. I won't be surprised if it turns out that X/Y is the most marketed game in the series.

The 3DS was the last mainstream console that wasn't restrained by HD development, which meant that reaching return in investment was easier for publishers. The lower development costs was the reason why the PS2, Wii, Dreamcast, etc. had a vast library of 3D games, a lot of them were what we consider nowadays as middle-shelf / AA games. Because the bar for graphics and production values wasn't as high as HD systems and there was a new game almost every week, games had to be creative and quirky to distinguish themselves of the competition, thus classics like Katamari Damacy were born.
The 3DS must have been, in theory, the true successor to the 6th generation home consoles (PS2, GCN and XBOX), but despite that publishers were pushing for brave and interesting concepts, a lot of these games ended up disappointing.

Here is an overview of some of the 3DS games that didn't exactly lived up to the hype:

"Oh boy, we are getting a brand new 3D Mario in the first year, this console is off to a good start"
91afgTs0hwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It was okay.

"Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright!?, this is going to be amazing!"
612oTukLo8L.jpg

It was okay.

"A full 3D Pokémon RPG with over 700 models, this is a dream come true!"
61N517ebqvL._AC_SX522_.jpg

It was okay.

"Pokemon HGSS was awesome, I can't wait to see how GameFreak remakes Gen 3!"
Pokepic.jpg

"A new strategy game by Intelligent Systems featuring american heroes fighting lovecraftian monsters. What could possibly go wrong?"
8140DTIYs3L._SL1329_.jpg

Definitely not great.

"Looks like Chibi-Robo is back baby!"
81S3AQErJBL._SX385_.jpg

One of the worst Nintendo-published titles.

"Look at this: a massive crossover between Namco, Sega, Capcom and Nintendo properties developed by Monolith Soft. Who needs Smash when I can make Kiryu fight Dante!"
91dxtTeK7IL._AC_SX522_.jpg

I'll stick to Smash, thanks.

"Persona on a Nintendo system? This could turn out really good!"
81-kbk61HLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ehh

"One of the best Wii U games ported to the system? Wow Nintendo really cares about 3DS owners!"
716MmgspENL._SL1200_.jpg

Nintendo: "You can only create levels tho..."

"Please Yoshitaka Murayama, I maybe not be a huge Suikoden fan, but I'm so tired of eating low budget Chibi job-based RPGs for 6 years. Only you can give this console a refreshing game for once!"
NSwitch_TheAllianceAliveHDRemastered_01.jpg

Fuck this console.

What was the cause of the 3DS producing so much underwhelming game after underwhelming game? The ideas were there, but the execution left a little bit to be desired.

you wanna establish the Sunday Thread rule here?

wtf kinda nonsense is this

It’s easily the worst Nintendo handheld outside of the Virtual Boy. I haven’t played all of the relevant games on it but basically everything on it is either the worst of their series or not quite the worst, but you can still play a better iteration of that series on another console. ALBW is literally a worse version of ALTTP in basically every single way, but at the time fans overhyped it because it was a return to form in term of handheld Zeldas after the DS ones. The non-linear progression was overhyped by a lot of fans and while it was a very wanted element after TP and SS, it wasn’t worth it to tie item progression to buying them with rupees and end up with very simplistic dungeons that only use one item at a time. Meanwhile, ALTTP handled non-linearity much better since you not only had a few alternate dungeon orders in the second half, but also a bunch of optional items to collect, sometimes stuff that you could collect early that would end up being relevant to progression, like the medallions and the ice rod. SMTIV was a very good game but it’s still not as good as Nocturne, which had a bigger scale and a greater emphasis on dungeon design. Meanwhile, IV has a bunch of repetitive sidequests. Smash 3DS basically lasted two months and held back Smash Wii U. Samus Returns was good but still a Metroid 2 remake, it’s not as essential as pretty much any other 2D game in the series. Then there’s a bunch of other exclusives that I didn’t bother with because they felt like gimped versions of otherwise good series. Why would I care about 3D Land, the original DS launched with a 64 port yet the 3DS can’t get an original 3D Mario in that style, it gotta have the structure and pacing of the 2D games when we already had a new 2D Mario two years prior. The first Luigi’s Mansion was cool for being basically RE for kids, I didn’t bother with Dark Moon since that one has apparently a stage selection instead of having the whole thing in one mansion and having you backtrack with keys and the like. Paper Mario sticker star has a level select like 2D Mario games, this was more of a turn off than the fan reception. I didn’t like Bravely Default’s demo since I didn’t care about a JRPG that’s basically built around nostalgia bait, I like the genre for things other than crystals and job systems. While I’m at it Ever Oasis’ demo was probably one of the most average games I’ve ever played, so much for being the first original game by the guys that ported OOT and MM to the 3DS

There were still a few bright spots. Kid Icarus Uprising is probably the last video game that fully captivated me, nothing wrong to say about that one. Etrian Odyssey IV was also great, haven’t played the ones on DS but most people seem to agree that IV is the best in that series. Those are my top two games of the system, other highlights would be Pokemon multiplayer being probably the best it ever was (I liked Sun and Moon’s single player though, wasn’t the best in the series but a definite step up over X&Y). Later in the system’s life you also had a few surprises from series I had never played, notably Rhythm Heaven Megamix and Culdcept Revolt. Either way, the 3DS’ best games still do not compare to the GBA and DS’ libraries. The 3DS was honestly about on par with the Wii U in terms of being a low spot for Nintendo, if you consider them good consoles it’s gotta be due to their VC and BC because in terms of exclusives they just don’t have enough. It was still somewhat of a bearable time tbh, 8th gen consoles didn’t take off at all in terms of games before like 2015-2016 so in the 8th gen, 3DS and Wii U were honestly the best places to play during like 2013-2014 if we talk strictly about gen 8

It's true that I stretched the term a lot with stuff like Alliance Alive and Zip Lash (lol). I still argue that 3D Land was huge back in the day because it meant that Nintendo was treating its handheld line like a home console, same thing with Smash 3DS.
Pokemon XY had a lot of hype back in the day. It was the first game in the series to get a simultaneous international release, and the only game aside from G/S that introduced a new type (and rebalanced the entire type chart). Stuff like Pokemon Amie was a wet dream that a lot of fans (myself included) had for all the DS generation.
The marketing was also positioning the game as the renaissance of the series, alluding a lot to Gen 1 nostalgia and bringing the "Gotta catch 'em all" slogan for the first time in years. A new anime retelling Red's story was also released alongside the game. I won't be surprised if it turns out that X/Y is the most marketed game in the series.

Hype is a bad term for this argument. I replaced it with potential in my post, because not living up to its potential is a better measurement to judge a game trying an innovative approach by. If you go by hype, any home console has more disappointments than any handheld, because excitement goes through the roof with higher budgets and so the fall when the product doesn't reach expected heights is much steeper.

For the purpose of this thread, Pokemon's approach on the 3DS didn't stand out compared to Switch or DS. That generation didn't try more high concepts than its immediate predecessors and successors nor were its failures tied to those concepts. Pokemon Amie has become a series stable. The introduction of the Fairy type was a success. Y-Comm is still held up as the model for online implementation. X/Y and SM/USUM - and less so OR/AS - were held back by larger design trends and production limits.

Smash 3DS was a damn ambitious game that no one in their right mind would think could actually be pulled off as well as it did, haha.

I still don't dislike your theory, because flawed gems are my favorite kind of gems, and the 3DS is the system I'm most fond of, so it all kinda fits in my head.

Last edited:
Honestly haven't read all the posts in the thread but 3D Land is really, really good and shouldn't be on that list.

I thought Persona Q was great but then I find Etrian Odyssey/Strange Journey type dungeon crawls way more fun than Persona, to each their own.

Also I thought The Alliance Alive was a great JRPG. Really enjoyed that, way more so than Bravely Default/Second.

I agree that Codename Steam was odd in that we know IS can make a good SRPG, it was really weird. The demo didn’t help it’s introduction at all with the long enemy turns. Still, it’s not like portables aren’t full of new IP, spin-offs and mash-ups.

I genuinely enjoyed Project X Zone, the problem is that it's 20 hours too long.
PXZ was great but definitely not for everyone. It was a spiritual successor to Monolith's Super Robot Taisen OG series (Namco x Capcom was the first), it was not a traditional SRPG in any sense. A lot of people didn't get what they expected with PXZ.

The failure of Project X Zone had nothing to do with the 3DS. It's failure was down to the complete lack of iM@S content.

Also lol @ dismissing Super Mario 3D Land as just OK.
Extra lol @ calling Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash as high concept game. It was clearly a budget release from the get go.

I feel like there were more hits on 3DS than misses, at least of the notable titles. Yeah not all the games were the pinnacle of their series, but they were still quite good. Feels like the OP is painting quite a partisan picture to the exclusion of counterexamples or positive aspects of the games listed.

The 3DS was disappointing because most of its higher quality games were too safe. It essentially became the Nintendo equivalent of a PSP (standard console games in a handheld form factor) with a few underutilized gimmicks such as 3D and AR, instead of a system with its own identity.

Games like Codename STEAM, Kid Icarus Uprising and Pushmo were the outstanding exceptions - new concepts unseen before from Nintendo. But the rest of the first party lineup consisted of either N64 remakes, SNES/Gameboy/DS homages, or games that were too similar to their standard console counterparts. Steel Diver is a missed opportunity I'm still salty about to this day. And the Dillon's Rolling Western series was just a waste of good character design and world.
The system's weak CPU probably didn't do it any favors either.

Some people will argue that those games lived up to expectations (at least LM2 and MK7), so I omitted them. Tbh The Alliance Alive also has stans.

btw how could I forget about Sticker Star and Paper Jam lol

"Oh snap, a crossover between Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, I can't wait to play this!"
71bHoVa3HCL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Arguably the worst in the series.
Oh, that game. It killed my desire to ever play my 3DS again. Those stupid paper-craft battles..

Steel Diver is a missed opportunity I'm still salty about to this day.

What opportunity was missed by Steel Diver? I got deep into Sub Wars for a bit, but never played the first and so wouldn't know what balls were dropped going to the sequel.

Had SMTIV, Soul Hackers, Bravely, and DQ remakes. It ruled for me just based on those. To answer the question - probably the console's power, or lack thereof. "High concept that didn't live up to the hype" sounds like hardware or developer-using-hardware weakness.

Why are we acting like the 3DS is the only console that had games that didn't live up to the hype? Like one of your examples is PL vs AA, which came out after Apollo Justice and the first Ace Attorney Investigations game were already disappointments back on the DS. The 3DS certainly didn't invent mediocre Ace Attorney games. The shade thrown at Persona Q is weird too since the game was basically exactly what it was marketed as (they never tried to pretend it was a mainline Persona entry, it's a glorified Etrian Odyssey reskin and has no shame hiding that fact).

I could make this same thread with a bunch of disappointing DS games like Super Mario 64 DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Wario: Master of Disguise, Yoshi's Island DS, etc. Really you can do it for basically any console since it's inevitable that not all games can live up to pre-release hype. I'm not seeing the logic in trying to paint this as a 3DS exclusive phenomenon.

Last edited:
The 3DS was disappointing because most of its higher quality games were too safe. It essentially became the Nintendo equivalent of a PSP (standard console games in a handheld form factor) with a few underutilized gimmicks such as 3D and AR, instead of a system with its own identity.

Games like Codename STEAM, Kid Icarus Uprising and Pushmo were the outstanding exceptions - new concepts unseen before from Nintendo. But the rest of the first party lineup consisted of either N64 remakes, SNES/Gameboy/DS homages, or games that were too similar to their standard console counterparts. Steel Diver is a missed opportunity I'm still salty about to this day. And the Dillon's Rolling Western series was just a waste of good character design and world.
The system's weak CPU probably didn't do it any favors either.
I do agree that the Dillon games squandered their potential, and Nintendo did it no favours releasing that third game, the only retail one for most of the world, right when everyone stopped caring about the 3DS.

Persona Q is an Etrian Odyssey game with a Persona skin

That's all it intended on being, so mission accomplished

A lot of people are saying that this thread is unfair to the 3DS because it points out the flaw of some of the system's software being disappointing whilst also ignoring that the same is true for other systems, and indeed just about every system in existence. However, I think this is missing the point. The OP is trying to draw a connection between the games they find disappointing by highlighting what they believe to be a pattern. More of a metatextual analysis of a certain irony rather than just saying the 3DS is the only system with titles that did not live up to the hype.

That being said I will say, funnily enough, not sure a lot of the examples in the OP actually are "high concept" games.

Yeah I definitely think a case can be made for this. In a way, the 3DS is more reminiscent of a GBA successor than a DS one. Whereas the DS was almost all original games from Nintendo (with the premier exception being Super Mario 64 DS, one of the best selling games for the system but ironically also one of the most divisive high profile games on it as well) with a healthy amount of ports from third parties, the 3DS focused a lot on remakes, ports, and half-sequels that were super iterative. Not necessarily anything wrong with that, except it did create a bit of a weird dichotomy where a lot of the experimental titles weren't of the best quality, but the tried and true franchises, while of their usual high quality, were going through the motions at best.

3D Land is a notable exception to this of course. Even if people think it's too safe, it did try something pretty new for 3D Mario.

Actually funnily enough now that I think about it, in much the same way that Wii U as a console was retroactively taken from being almost entirely irrelevant to completely and totally irrelevant due to most of its best games being ported to the Switch, at the same time a lot of the high profile 3DS games were just kind of made irrelevant by their Wii U counterparts, especially now that they are ported to Switch. 3D World is a much better 3D Land, Mario Kart 8 is a much better Mario Kart 7, and Smash Ultimate to Smash 4? Well ... I mean ...

Still a great library though.

Code Name Steam is good to me damn it! In no other game was I able to be a giant mecha Abraham Lincoln beating the shit out of aliens.

3DS has a good library, but I agree with the overall sentiment that a lot of games were lacking... something. Super Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem and the Dragon Quest games it got are incredible though. Pokemon ORAS was awesome as well (Battle Frontier aside, the rest of the game was just fantastic). Overall I'd place it's library in the middle out of all Nintendo's handhelds.

DS > GBA > 3DS > GB > GBC

It's a killer Zelda machine though. OoT 3D, MM 3D, ALBW and heaps of old Zelda games on VC.

Back
Top Bottom